[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 216277 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #675 on: January 08, 2022, 12:03:40 PM »
Couple of good Big East games so far.  SJU up 3 at half over PU and UConn up 4 over Willard-Gonzalez-Blaney at half
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #676 on: January 08, 2022, 12:06:42 PM »
How about “manwith2eyes”

College refs stink and have stunk for a long time - find a new slant

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #677 on: January 08, 2022, 12:13:11 PM »
College refs stink and have stunk for a long time - find a new slant

It’s called an observation.

If you’re too dumb to know what that is, consider it a personal problem.

How’s that for a slant
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

panda

• All American
« Reply #678 on: January 08, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
It’s called an observation.

If you’re too dumb to know what that is, consider it a personal problem.

How’s that for a slant

If the refs are bad in most games, is it really an observation ?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #679 on: January 08, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
If the refs are bad in most games, is it really an observation ?

I’m watching Purdue/Penn State and UConn/Hall. Just fine.

They have been objectively bad in the Providence game and the announcers have noted it 7 times.

panda

• All American
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
I’m watching Purdue/Penn State and UConn/Hall. Just fine.

They have been objectively bad in the Providence game and the announcers have noted it 7 times.

Convenient. Maybe the actually astute observation would be it’s difficult to officiate the Johnnies as their pace and physicality make it difficult to call a smooth game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »
Convenient. Maybe the actually astute observation would be it’s difficult to officiate the Johnnies as their pace and physicality make it difficult to call a smooth game.

You’re making the assumption that it’s just the foul calls that are making it a disaster.

So maybe the astute thing would be actually watch the game or shut up.

panda

• All American
« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »
You’re making the assumption that it’s just the foul calls that are making it a disaster.

So maybe the astute thing would be actually watch the game or shut up.

You were complaining about the refs in a similar game environment last night #lame

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2022, 12:31:44 PM »
You were complaining about the refs in a similar game environment last night #lame

Umm no I wasn’t.

I called out foul disparity last night. One where it was obvious. Where our coach found it obvious and one where Gtown fans found it obvious.

I’m pointing out that this game across the board has been bad. Not 1 team getting screwed in fouls.

For some reason that mentally broke you. And instead of watching the game you made 10 stupid assumptions. On par with your Texas is better than Gonzaga assumption. Hint….watch the games.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
SHU on a nice run after getting down 9 to Uconn

This game should a wild finish.

panda

• All American
« Reply #685 on: January 08, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »
Umm no I wasn’t.

I called out foul disparity last night. One where it was obvious. Where our coach found it obvious and one where Gtown fans found it obvious.

I’m pointing out that this game across the board has been bad. Not 1 team getting screwed in fouls.

For some reason that mentally broke you. And instead of watching the game you made 10 stupid assumptions. On par with your Texas is better than Gonzaga assumption. Hint….watch the games.

Foul disparity does not have direct correlation with game outcomes. Example A last night. We fouled them more because we were aggressive turning them over and scoring easy buckets in transition. Aka we foul more and they foul less.

Hint - keep an eye on Texas. They’re playing very good basketball now. Marcus Carr has come on the last couple games.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2022, 12:59:41 PM »
Foul disparity does not have direct correlation with game outcomes. Example A last night. We fouled them more because we were aggressive turning them over and scoring easy buckets in transition. Aka we foul more and they foul less.

Hint - keep an eye on Texas. They’re playing very good basketball now. Marcus Carr has come on the last couple games.

The issue with the fouls last night was first half. Second half we got calls and Gtown got calls when they didn’t travel first.

Marcus Carr is not the guy you want leading. So don’t bank on that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #687 on: January 08, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »
Providence has completely stopped shooting bricks and strictly is going inside.

SJU can’t stop it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #688 on: January 08, 2022, 01:16:20 PM »
Strategy discussion based upon the way the UConn-Hall game ended regulation:

Hurley calls time-out with the ball at midcourt, about 30 seconds to go in a tie game, 22 on the shot clock.

After the inbounds pass, his PG Cole just dribbles the ball near midcourt for 13-14 seconds until there is only 8-9 secs left on the shot clock. You're then in a rush-rush situation and Cole ends up throwing a wild scud that hits the backboard and results in a shot-clock violation. You've left Hall about 8 seconds to score the winner, and Aiken, a very good shooter, gets a wide-open look from 20. Very lucky for UConn, it didn't go in.

Teams do this all the time, not just at the end of games but at the half (or the quarter if women's college, NBA or high school).

Why? What is the advantage in taking a difficult, usually very-low-percentage attempt as the shot-clock is about to expire only to leave your opponent plenty of time to score? Why wouldn't you initiate your offense a lot earlier and try to set up a good look whenever it comes, knowing full well that your opponent is gonna have plenty of time regardless of when you shoot (assuming you score or they get the defensive board)?

It just makes no sense to me to do what UConn did at the end of regulation. Easily could have cost them the game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #689 on: January 08, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
The issue with the fouls last night was first half. Second half we got calls and Gtown got calls when they didn’t travel first.

Marcus Carr is not the guy you want leading. So don’t bank on that.

College refs are inconsistent ? Color me shocked.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2022, 01:19:17 PM »
Same old St. John’s

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2022, 01:21:24 PM »
College refs are inconsistent ? Color me shocked.

Again, for now the 7th time. This Providence game that has you in a full meltdown wasnt inconsistent. It was outright bad.

For the last time. Watch the game or stop looking like a dumbass

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #692 on: January 08, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
SHU on a nice run after getting down 9 to Uconn

This game should a wild finish.

Definitely a good finish

1 pt game 40 seconds left in OT

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #693 on: January 08, 2022, 01:25:36 PM »
DePaul all over Villanova early, 7-2 at the under-16.

Is Jay Wright on the hot seat in Philly?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2022, 01:26:48 PM »
Brutal by UConn.

Living and dying by the pointless waste time strategy and it’s leading to getting no shots off.

Hurley isn’t anti run offense

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #695 on: January 08, 2022, 01:27:14 PM »
UConn should probably fire Danny Hurley after that possession. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #696 on: January 08, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »
UConn should probably fire Danny Hurley after that possession.

Poor refereeing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #697 on: January 08, 2022, 01:32:08 PM »
Strategy discussion based upon the way the UConn-Hall game ended regulation:

Hurley calls time-out with the ball at midcourt, about 30 seconds to go in a tie game, 22 on the shot clock.

After the inbounds pass, his PG Cole just dribbles the ball near midcourt for 13-14 seconds until there is only 8-9 secs left on the shot clock. You're then in a rush-rush situation and Cole ends up throwing a wild scud that hits the backboard and results in a shot-clock violation. You've left Hall about 8 seconds to score the winner, and Aiken, a very good shooter, gets a wide-open look from 20. Very lucky for UConn, it didn't go in.

Teams do this all the time, not just at the end of games but at the half (or the quarter if women's college, NBA or high school).

Why? What is the advantage in taking a difficult, usually very-low-percentage attempt as the shot-clock is about to expire only to leave your opponent plenty of time to score? Why wouldn't you initiate your offense a lot earlier and try to set up a good look whenever it comes, knowing full well that your opponent is gonna have plenty of time regardless of when you shoot (assuming you score or they get the defensive board)?

It just makes no sense to me to do what UConn did at the end of regulation. Easily could have cost them the game.

The strategy is that time is your opponent in this case. There wasn't enough time for a two for one. Thus, you burn the seconds to leave your opponent less time to run a half court set (if you miss or make). With 8 seconds left let's say, 3-4 of that would just be getting the ball past half court leaving 3-5 to run a rushed play without a time out.

Now, why Hurley didn't have a better play there out of a time out I don't know? The play there should be a drive to the hoop trying to get fouled in my mind versus helter skelter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #698 on: January 08, 2022, 01:38:22 PM »
The strategy is that time is your opponent in this case. There wasn't enough time for a two for one. Thus, you burn the seconds to leave your opponent less time to run a half court set (if you miss or make). With 8 seconds left let's say, 3-4 of that would just be getting the ball past half court leaving 3-5 to run a rushed play without a time out.

Now, why Hurley didn't have a better play there out of a time out I don't know? The play there should be a drive to the hoop trying to get fouled in my mind versus helter skelter.

Thanks for the explainer, but me no likey.

I could see if you'd only be leaving your opponent 1-2 seconds, or obviously if you get to take the final shot. But leaving your opponent 8-9 seconds, it makes little sense to me to create a stressful shot-clock situation for yourself. Any good college team would be able to get a really good shot in that amount of time, especially with you having to scramble back on defense, and Hall did indeed get a great look.

And you're right, that was a dreadful play by Hurley. Really poor crud by UConn at the end of OT, too.

Hurley seems to be an OK coach, though maybe a little overrated because his first 3 years at UConn were about as successful as Wojo's first 3 years at Marquette. Another "we'll see" situation IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the explainer, but me no likey.

I could see if you'd only be leaving your opponent 1-2 seconds, or obviously if you get to take the final shot. But leaving your opponent 8-9 seconds, it makes little sense to me to create a stressful shot-clock situation for yourself. Any good college team would be able to get a really good shot in that amount of time, especially with you having to scramble back on defense, and Hall did indeed get a great look.

And you're right, that was a dreadful play by Hurley. Really poor crud by UConn at the end of OT, too.

Hurley seems to be an OK coach, though maybe a little overrated because his first 3 years at UConn were about as successful as Wojo's first 3 years at Marquette. Another "we'll see" situation IMHO.

Yeah I think the strategy was awful.

Teams with good athletes/guards can go end to end in 5 seconds let alone draw a foul before that when D is trying to get back.

Dumb to just burn clock just to do it when there’s still gonna be 7-8 seconds left.