[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Norm MacDonald  (Read 3658 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: RIP Norm MacDonald
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 09:31:32 PM »
Is it true he was fired from SNL because of too many O.J. jokes?

As I remember it, Don Ohlmeyer was president of NBC and a close friend of OJ Simpson. Norm was relentless with the OJ jokes and was warned to lay off. He didn’t, of course, and was eventually canned.

My favorite OJ joke was told by Norm at the ESPYs. He pointed out Charles Woodson in the audience and said: “Heisman trophy winner Charles Woodson is here tonight. The Heisman is college football’s highest honor, something they can never take away from you….unless you kill your wife and waiter”.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 09:37:19 PM »
As I remember it, Don Ohlmeyer was president of NBC and a close friend of OJ Simpson. Norm was relentless with the OJ jokes and was warned to lay off. He didn’t, of course, and was eventually canned.

My favorite OJ joke was told by Norm at the ESPYs. He pointed out Charles Woodson in the audience and said: “Heisman trophy winner Charles Woodson is here tonight. The Heisman is college football’s highest honor, something they can never take away from you….unless you kill your wife and waiter”.

Lol.   I feel like I should have appreciated Norm more, although he was a little before my time. Clearly a unique talent.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
Lol.   I feel like I should have appreciated Norm more, although he was a little before my time. Clearly a unique talent.

Approximately how old are you muggs?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 05:47:38 AM »
Approximately how old are you muggs?

Right?  I was under the impression he was at least my age....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 07:21:20 AM »

Is it true he was fired from SNL because of too many O.J. jokes?

That was fantastic -- I was going to comment on that specific one when I watched the ESPYs link above, but I forgot. I just watched a whole clip of Norm doing OJ jokes on Weekend Update. I had forgotten how relentless he was. They were great. Conan just released a special podcast episode just talking about Norm. It's worth a listen. He mentioned that Ohlmeyer forbade him from having Norm on the show. When Conan pushed back saying "how can I do my best show for you if you won't let me have my best guest", Ohlmeyer apparently gave him the "i expected more from you" pitch.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
That was fantastic -- I was going to comment on that specific one when I watched the ESPYs link above, but I forgot. I just watched a whole clip of Norm doing OJ jokes on Weekend Update. I had forgotten how relentless he was. They were great. Conan just released a special podcast episode just talking about Norm. It's worth a listen. He mentioned that Ohlmeyer forbade him from having Norm on the show. When Conan pushed back saying "how can I do my best show for you if you won't let me have my best guest", Ohlmeyer apparently gave him the "i expected more from you" pitch.

Which is so stupid.  Going back to the Courtney Thorne Smith interview you posted before.  She's been interviewed after and said Conan apologized at one point and she was like (paraphrasing) "are you kidding me?  That was amazing.  Everyone knew it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece and Norm did the promotion for it so I didn't have to.  He took over and made it hilarious instead of a forced PR bump".  There were no sacred cows in his world and thats what made him hilarious.  Those Conan appearances were the closest thing to improv you can find in that setting.  Norm had no clue what the hell he was gonna talk about half the time and Conan was a master at playing along, and you won't get any more genuine of laughs and reactions out of Conan than during those bits.  What a contrast to the horrific forced cringey over laughing that Jimmy Fallon does with all his guests.

Also, hindsight is 20/20, but you can clearly see the noticeable change in appearance over the last 9 years.  I don't know the nuances of all cancer treatments, but I know many strong medications lead to facial swelling or puffiness/bloating.  His face changed markedly but its not like he gained a ton of weight that would otherwise lead to that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
Those Conan appearances were the closest thing to improv you can find in that setting.  Norm had no clue what the hell he was gonna talk about half the time and Conan was a master at playing along, and you won't get any more genuine of laughs and reactions out of Conan than during those bits.

Conan made this exact point during his podcast special.

I'm not aware of any comedian who relished creating awkward situations more than Norm. He would stare at his audience while they squirmed. A lot of people this week have commented on that twinkle in Norm's eye (Letterman tried not to...kind of), and it really is true. You'd be watching him and see that sparkle in his eye and a growing grin and just know that something really good was coming.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »

feedback