[Today at 02:41:45 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021 NBA Draft  (Read 14496 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: 2021 NBA Draft
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »
My kids & I are in NYC, all the NBA draft entrants are staying at our hotel. Just shared an elevator with Jalen Johnson.

Will you be sneaking your way into the draft? Bucks might need a Bobby Portis replacement.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »
CBS Sports has Sam going to da Knicks in da 2nd rd. Just sayin', hey?

I'd be surprised.  All of heard on NYC sports talk radio since Thibs was hired coach was his defensive approach he drilled into players and all I've heard on Scoop was a major Sam's defensive liability.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2021, 09:01:42 AM »
I'd be surprised.  All of heard on NYC sports talk radio since Thibs was hired coach was his defensive approach he drilled into players and all I've heard on Scoop was a major Sam's defensive liability.

Imagine the letter that's going to get written to Thibs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »

Thibs likes smart, hard-working players. Thibs also has enough of an ego (as all coaches and athletes do) to believe he can improve any player's defense.

But sure, it wouldn't surprise me if the Knicks didn't take Hauser ... just as it wouldn't surprise me if they or some other team did. I mean, he's 6-8, an incredible shooter in an era that emphasizes the 3-point shot, intelligent, and not soft like L'il Hausie.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Just read The Athletic's look at the best big men available, and this jumped out at me about Mamu ...

College head coach 1 (his team played Seton Hall): Mamu, I think he could be the steal of the draft. He’s really skilled. He can really pass, he can shoot it, he’s big as crap, he’s mobile. Now, he’s a little older (22). And I thought their team sucked this year, and I thought they were good because of him. He did everything. He brought it up the floor, he rebounded, he made shots, they isolated him. He’s got the Euro feel, but he’s got the American impact to him. And I think (Seton Hall’s) Kevin (Willard) is a good coach. He can be a steal in the draft. If he can shoot it, there’s no reason why he can’t be a pro that has a sustainable career. I love him. He’s a little like (former Magic and Rockets forward) Ryan Anderson. They’re a little different, but similar. He’s got some of the Troy Murphy in him, taking it back. He can shoot it, he can put it on the deck. He’s big, he’ll break you down a little bit. I thought he was like a chameleon. He could adapt to whatever environment you had. They didn’t have enough horsepower. Early in the year, he was getting 20 and 10. And I thought he just got worn down. They didn’t have a point guard, they didn’t have Myles Powell. They were setting ball screens for him in transition.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
Ahh yes, Mamu is like 2 time BE POY and 2 time 1st team AA Troy Murphy cause they are both tall white guys who can shoot a bit.

Mamu shot 33% from 3 for his career, including this year.  Ryan Anderson shot 40% from deep in college in an era where the 3 wasn't yet what it is now.

Mamu probably gets drafted late 2nd and sticks for a bit cause he has NBA tools and size.  But I'd be shocked if he becomes a player of an substance.  Especially since he's a tool.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2021, 12:22:55 PM »
Ahh yes, Mamu is like 2 time BE POY and 2 time 1st team AA Troy Murphy cause they are both tall white guys who can shoot a bit.

Mamu shot 33% from 3 for his career, including this year.  Ryan Anderson shot 40% from deep in college in an era where the 3 wasn't yet what it is now.

Mamu probably gets drafted late 2nd and sticks for a bit cause he has NBA tools and size.  But I'd be shocked if he becomes a player of an substance.  Especially since he's a tool.

While I agree that he seems to be a tool, I like his tools. I think he could turn into a solid NBA player.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2021, 12:34:53 PM »
The draft scene at the Westin Times Square is something. I think we’re the only non NBA people in the hotel. I ate a piece of pizza with Moses Moody’s uncle (I’m sure you’re all proud).

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
I always liked Mamu as a player. Won't surprise me to see him stick in the NBA for awhile.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »
I still cannot understand how Ayo could fall to the Bucks at 31, but I've seen some mocks of him in the second round.  That would be the dream pick for the Bucks if you ask me.  Sharife Cooper, Miles McBride, Joe Wieskamp, and Josh Christopher would all be good additions at 31.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
I still cannot understand how Ayo could fall to the Bucks at 31, but I've seen some mocks of him in the second round.  That would be the dream pick for the Bucks if you ask me.  Sharife Cooper, Miles McBride, Joe Wieskamp, and Josh Christopher would all be good additions at 31.
I don't follow the Bucks too closely, though I am happy they won. Where do you see the Bucks' biggest need?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
I don't follow the Bucks too closely, though I am happy they won. Where do you see the Bucks' biggest need?

My thought would be guard depth. I think Donte is going into his last year. Already lost Forbes. They need someone who can defend and hit shots there. Also, a potential Brook replacement if he’s traded.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »

I don't think he will ever be a star - or even close to it - but I would love to see the Bucks get Ayo. Could probably be a rotational player as a rookie. I also love the attitude/hustle that he brings to the floor. Could be a poor man's Jrue Holiday.

Weiskamp, Hyland also are intriguing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »

Replace Bobby (backup 5 - rumors are Jeff Green and the Bucks have mutual interest, I think that'd be a great addition) and add a secondary ballhandler off the bench (hoping that's Ayo).

Otherwise can always use more shooting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2021, 01:08:45 PM »
Right, the Bucks will be addressing their needs in FA.  They are drafting best available and hoping one of their young guys steps into the rotation this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
Right, the Bucks will be addressing their needs in FA.  They are drafting best available and hoping one of their young guys steps into the rotation this year.

They will be over the luxury tax, so FA options will be limited, though.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »
They will be over the luxury tax, so FA options will be limited, though.

Some vets that want to ring chase might take a pay cut.

I think Nwora is a guy that could step into Forbes' role. Not a good defender but neither was Bryn.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2021, 02:08:23 PM »
Bucks might move #31 for a vet. They have 2 trade exceptions worth about $6.5 million combined.  Add a player or two for salary filler and they might get in the $8-9 million range.

Not sure what that gets them, but even if they keep the pick I expect the Bucks to prioritize win now players over raw players that have more upside.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »
Bucks might move #31 for a vet. They have 2 trade exceptions worth about $6.5 million combined.  Add a player or two for salary filler and they might get in the $8-9 million range.

Not sure what that gets them, but even if they keep the pick I expect the Bucks to prioritize win now players over raw players that have more upside.

Yeah, they're rumored to be trying to trade 31 for a vet, but I just don't know what 31 really gets you.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2021, 02:27:00 PM »
Yeah, they're rumored to be trying to trade 31 for a vet, but I just don't know what 31 really gets you.

Potentially first round value at a lower cap number. That has to have some value.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »
Potentially first round value at a lower cap number. That has to have some value.

Actually I think early second round picks might have more value because of the lack of a guaranteed contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2021, 02:50:06 PM »
Just had awesome experience. All the lottery picks were making their way through the lobby. You had to be a hotel guest to be there. We met and got pictures with a bunch. Jalen Suggs and Cade Cunningham are really nice guys. It was awesome.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2021, 03:17:24 PM »
Just had awesome experience. All the lottery picks were making their way through the lobby. You had to be a hotel guest to be there. We met and got pictures with a bunch. Jalen Suggs and Cade Cunningham are really nice guys. It was awesome.

Thats amazing, something they will always remember.  Ive seen plenty to know Suggs is an awesome kid.  Cunningham has always kind of had this air of a cocky, aloof persona.  Glad to hear its not necessarily the case.  The league can always use more stars that have an approachability to them.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2021, 03:57:49 PM »
Thats amazing, something they will always remember.  Ive seen plenty to know Suggs is an awesome kid.  Cunningham has always kind of had this air of a cocky, aloof persona.  Glad to hear its not necessarily the case.  The league can always use more stars that have an approachability to them.

Cunningham was walking to the players waiting area with like 6 dudes (security/family), I said “Good luck tonight Cade). He saw my kids and said “I’ve only got a second, but let’s get a pic”. He 100% didn’t need to do it, I was extremely happy he did.

Suggs was unbelievably nice. He was walking with just one dude, saw us and high fived my kids, talked to us, said absolutely for a pic, and was all smiles the entire time. Very easy guy to root for, hope he succeeds.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »
The draft scene at the Westin Times Square is something. I think we’re the only non NBA people in the hotel. I ate a piece of pizza with Moses Moody’s uncle (I’m sure you’re all proud).
the lobby bar there is pretty solid.

feedback