[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162167 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #950 on: July 09, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
That’s right. MU alums with businesses better pony up or we die on the vine.
One call...that’s all!! Gruber Law, who’s your daddy? Pay the man!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #951 on: July 09, 2021, 08:01:06 PM »
Who is everybody else that is getting rich besides the coaches?  Most athletic departments lose money, don't they?

Rising administrative and support staff pay is one of the biggest reasons otherwise profitable or self-sufficient athletic departments run deficits, according to a Washington Post review of thousands of pages of financial records from athletic departments at 48 schools in the five wealthiest conferences in college sports. In a decade, the non-coaching payrolls at the schools, combined, rose from $454 million to $767 million, a 69 percent jump.

College sports officials long have cited rising costs both to justify mandatory student fees supporting athletics and to argue against paying college athletes. One of the fastest-increasing athletic costs at many of America’s largest public universities, however, is the amount of money flowing into the paychecks of the people running those athletic departments.

From 2004 to 2014, UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero’s salary increased from $299,000 to $920,000 to do the same job, and his administration grew from 97 to 141 employees, boosting UCLA’s non-coaching payroll from $9.1 million to $16 million. (All 2004 figures in this story have been adjusted for inflation.)

In 2004, University of Michigan Athletic Director William Martin made $361,000, and 15 of his administrative employees made $100,000 or more. Ten years later, Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon made $900,000, and the number of his administrative staffers making $100,000 or more had risen to 34.

In 2004, 12 football teams in the “Power Five” conferences — the ACC, Southeastern Conference, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pacific-12 — spent more than $1 million on staffers who were not coaches. A decade later, 34 football teams had seven-figure support staff payrolls. At Clemson University, the football coach’s chief of staff — his official title is “associate athletic director of football administration” — makes $252,000, a salary that exceeds what some athletic directors at big colleges made a decade ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/as-college-sports-revenues-spike-coaches-arent-only-ones-cashing-in/2015/12/29/bbdb924e-ae15-11e5-9ab0-884d1cc4b33e_story.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #952 on: July 09, 2021, 10:45:32 PM »
Rising administrative and support staff pay is one of the biggest reasons otherwise profitable or self-sufficient athletic departments run deficits, according to a Washington Post review of thousands of pages of financial records from athletic departments at 48 schools in the five wealthiest conferences in college sports. In a decade, the non-coaching payrolls at the schools, combined, rose from $454 million to $767 million, a 69 percent jump.

College sports officials long have cited rising costs both to justify mandatory student fees supporting athletics and to argue against paying college athletes. One of the fastest-increasing athletic costs at many of America’s largest public universities, however, is the amount of money flowing into the paychecks of the people running those athletic departments.

From 2004 to 2014, UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero’s salary increased from $299,000 to $920,000 to do the same job, and his administration grew from 97 to 141 employees, boosting UCLA’s non-coaching payroll from $9.1 million to $16 million. (All 2004 figures in this story have been adjusted for inflation.)

In 2004, University of Michigan Athletic Director William Martin made $361,000, and 15 of his administrative employees made $100,000 or more. Ten years later, Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon made $900,000, and the number of his administrative staffers making $100,000 or more had risen to 34.

In 2004, 12 football teams in the “Power Five” conferences — the ACC, Southeastern Conference, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pacific-12 — spent more than $1 million on staffers who were not coaches. A decade later, 34 football teams had seven-figure support staff payrolls. At Clemson University, the football coach’s chief of staff — his official title is “associate athletic director of football administration” — makes $252,000, a salary that exceeds what some athletic directors at big colleges made a decade ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/as-college-sports-revenues-spike-coaches-arent-only-ones-cashing-in/2015/12/29/bbdb924e-ae15-11e5-9ab0-884d1cc4b33e_story.html

Yep. And this didn't even touch on all the people in the various conference offices and NCAA offices who have been getting rich on the backs of the athletes for years.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #953 on: July 10, 2021, 08:04:48 AM »
Yep. And this didn't even touch on all the people in the various conference offices and NCAA offices who have been getting rich on the backs of the athletes for years.

Reminds me of healthcare.  The system is bloated. There are now administrators for administrators for administrators in hospitals, all of whom need to be paid by the patient. But that’s a subject for another day in Super Bar.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #954 on: July 10, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »
It's funny how everyone wants to avoid how losing Garcia makes MU's talent level woefully low and would rather bicker about some macro issue when nobody knows how it will exactly play out.

I'd guess MU is barely a top 100 team now?

I wasn't a Wojo fan, but what's going on at MU now isn't an upgrade in talent.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #955 on: July 10, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »
Your crazy

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #956 on: July 10, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »
It's funny how everyone wants to avoid how losing Garcia makes MU's talent level woefully low and would rather bicker about some macro issue when nobody knows how it will exactly play out.

Find me one person who’s actually said losing Garcia isn’t a big loss in terms of production and talent for the upcoming season.

You’ve clearly been anti-Shaka from the very beginning so it’s hard not to take anything you say with a grain of salt.

The team is very young and this is likely to be a tough year but there is plenty of talent and upside already on the roster. Establish a culture, develop the talent we have and bring in a good recruiting class and success will follow shortly thereafter.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #957 on: July 10, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »

Have to agree that talent recruited thus far is not highly rated  mostly 3 stars. Will have to see how all these newcomers turn out. Shaka got started late but did pick up some players. Must take a look at next year's class to form a better opinion. It is disappointing that he could not retain our 2 best returning players, Garcia and Carton. Likely this season is going to be a bumpy ride. Hopefully the record approaches.500
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #958 on: July 10, 2021, 01:28:44 PM »

Would you prefer Wojo back then?!

We made a tremendous upgrade in coaching and that will pay off soon.  There’s no longer an incompetent running the program and being out coached when we’re not playing the Arkansas Pine Bluffs of college basketball. 

Be a little patient. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #959 on: July 10, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »

Good to see you back, bitter and negative as ever!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #960 on: July 10, 2021, 02:55:07 PM »

And you're not a Marquette fan either.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #961 on: July 10, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »

MU was barely a top 100 team last year. All 5 starters left (or weren’t invited back). We sucked with Dawson, DJ, Theo, Jamal and Koby and we’ll probably suck without ‘em - at least for a year. But I’d rather be young and suck than suck with 3 seniors in the starting lineup. If that happens with Shaka I’ll worry. Don’t think it will.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #962 on: July 10, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
I guess I am in the minority as I don’t mind Garcia leaving. While he would have made us better next year, we still wouldn’t be a tourney team. Then he would be gone to the draft.

With a new coach, I want to see young guys who will be here for 3-4 years. Guys to build on. That was never gonna be Dawson.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #963 on: July 10, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
I guess I am in the minority as I don’t mind Garcia leaving. While he would have made us better next year, we still wouldn’t be a tourney team. Then he would be gone to the draft.

With a new coach, I want to see young guys who will be here for 3-4 years. Guys to build on. That was never gonna be Dawson.

For fans who really care about winning every season (including 2021-22) and who have confidence in the new coach's ability to get kids to work together for a common cause (as I do), losing Garcia and Carton sucked. They already were good Big East players and they almost certainly would have improved, perhaps significantly.

Shaka was gonna have to recruit great players from the Class of '22 to replace them, anyway. Now he has to recruit great players from the Class of '22 even as we probably struggle to go .500 this season.

I'm one of this board's big optimists, but I seriously don't see the upside to losing two very good players.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #964 on: July 10, 2021, 04:14:10 PM »
Eye'd have good wit da 'hole bunch boltin'. Ez come, ez go. Give me sum badass mf'ers hoo have a chip on der shoulders, wanna bee here wherein' the blue and gold, bye inta Shaka, and ar reddy ta kick ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #965 on: July 10, 2021, 04:19:34 PM »
For fans who really care about winning every season (including 2021-22) and who have confidence in the new coach's ability to get kids to work together for a common cause (as I do), losing Garcia and Carton sucked. They already were good Big East players and they almost certainly would have improved, perhaps significantly.

Shaka was gonna have to recruit great players from the Class of '22 to replace them, anyway. Now he has to recruit great players from the Class of '22 even as we probably struggle to go .500 this season.

I'm one of this board's big optimists, but I seriously don't see the upside to losing two very good players.

Carton was already gone. I was just speaking of Garcia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #966 on: July 10, 2021, 04:21:56 PM »
There is usually turnover when a coaching change occurs. Why should MU be exempt?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #967 on: July 10, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »
There is usually turnover when a coaching change occurs. Why should MU be exempt?

The interesting thing is there wasn't the last time. Wojo lost most of Buzz's recruits, but kept the returning players. Then we stunk out loud anyway. I'd rather be bad with pieces to build around than be bad while keeping guys that aren't loyal to the new coach.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #968 on: July 10, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »
The interesting thing is there wasn't the last time. Wojo lost most of Buzz's recruits, but kept the returning players. Then we stunk out loud anyway. I'd rather be bad with pieces to build around than be bad while keeping guys that aren't loyal to the new coach.

Stunk…and most of the returnees ended up transferring anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #969 on: July 10, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Eye'd have good wit da 'hole bunch boltin'. Ez come, ez go. Give me sum badass mf'ers hoo have a chip on der shoulders, wanna bee here wherein' the blue and gold, bye inta Shaka, and ar reddy ta kick ass, hey?

I’m with you, now that their gone of course.  But I think in the end it’s probably best for both parties.

I think a couple of the big 2022 recruits have good teeth.  Your practice down for sponsoring them and getting this NIL thing rolling?  Billboard?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #970 on: July 10, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »

Jockey

100% agree. Garcia (and Carton) are good players who have had one foot out the door since they got here. I can deal with another tough year if it means getting experience for young players who can help lead us to a brighter future. The last thing I want is another year of a star system team that won’t win and will lose its “stars”.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #971 on: July 10, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »
Keeping good players AND bringing in good recruits need not be mutually exclusive.

Look, I’m not pining for Garcia and Carton. Like brewski says, this happens quite often with coaching changes.

But the reaction here that we didn’t need these guys anyway … and they really weren’t that good … and they lost under Wojo so good riddance … etc etc etc … it smacks of Madison fans rationalizing lost recruits by saying Bo cooled on em.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #972 on: July 11, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
Keeping good players AND bringing in good recruits need not be mutually exclusive.

Look, I’m not pining for Garcia and Carton. Like brewski says, this happens quite often with coaching changes.

But the reaction here that we didn’t need these guys anyway … and they really weren’t that good … and they lost under Wojo so good riddance … etc etc etc … it smacks of Madison fans rationalizing lost recruits by saying Bo cooled on em.

There are a lot of “good players”. Garcia is very skilled but not very athletic and soft as the My Pillow guy’s finest. Carton is a very good athlete who was great in spurts but disappeared for long stretches. They are both “good players” but starting alongside 3 seniors (who are now at Duke, Syracuse and Oakland) in maybe the weakest version of the Big East in its history they produced one of Marquette’s six losing seasons in the last 55 years. They were part of a culture that needed changing. If they weren’t “all in” with that idea I’d rather roll with guys who are. Whether we finish 10th without ‘em or 7th with ‘em next year doesn’t matter to me. I’d rather Shaka’s young guys get the PT even if it’s painful at times.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #973 on: July 11, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
There are a lot of “good players”. Garcia is very skilled but not very athletic and soft as the My Pillow guy’s finest. Carton is a very good athlete who was great in spurts but disappeared for long stretches. They are both “good players” but starting alongside 3 seniors (who are now at Duke, Syracuse and Oakland) in maybe the weakest version of the Big East in its history they produced one of Marquette’s six losing seasons in the last 55 years. They were part of a culture that needed changing. If they weren’t “all in” with that idea I’d rather roll with guys who are. Whether we finish 10th without ‘em or 7th with ‘em next year doesn’t matter to me. I’d rather Shaka’s young guys get the PT even if it’s painful at times.

Great summary Lenny. Loved watching the "Big Two" when they were on but as a Fox halftime commentator once said (I think it was Charles Barkely, but maybe Kenny Smith) "Marquette has no identity. They need an identity" All through the Wojo era it seemed like mostly a collection of individual players, not a tight team, that was on the court. The results, or rather lack thereof, speak for themselves. Wojo came from a team whose identity is tied almost exclusively to recruiting players who were one year away from consideration for the NBA. He simply never really left Duke. Remember the "Duke North" BS that was floating around shortly after he was hired? It was a foreshadowing of Wojo's mindset. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #974 on: July 11, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
Give me sum badass mf'ers hoo have a chip on der shoulders, wanna bee here wherein' the blue and gold

If they weren’t “all in” with that idea I’d rather roll with guys who are.

Both of those takes are fair, gentlemen.

I missed similar from y'all when The Lettermen left in 2019 -- not to mention when Doc celebrated every green wienie for years -- but what you're saying now about Garcia and Carton is reasonable.

We Are Marquette!