[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162074 times)

bradforster

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
My buddy who coached Dawson told me earlier in the week the choice was NC.  I guess he was right on the money.  I didn’t want to believe him.  I hope Dawson does well there.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2021, 12:09:08 PM »
I think the point was in the new era of NIL, the larger schools have a distinct advantage; even more than in the past. Heck, a Miami booster is paying $500,000+ per year to the football players and freely admits there is no profit expectation to his business, just legal incentives to play at the U. Good for the players but not so good for an already unbalanced playing field.

IMO, part of what this is going to do is redistribute money.  School's fundraising will go down as boosters move money over to kids BUT with kids getting paid there's the chance that recruiting budgets and other amenity costs could potentially go down.  Coaches may take a little haircut as well but they may trade for it, if their recruiting gets easier.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »
I think the point was in the new era of NIL, the larger schools have a distinct advantage; even more than in the past. Heck, a Miami booster is paying $500,000+ per year to the football players and freely admits there is no profit expectation to his business, just legal incentives to play at the U. Good for the players but not so good for an already unbalanced playing field.   

I just find it so interesting that people by and large didn't seem to be all that concerned about an unbalanced playing field....until the players got NIL rights.  NOW it's a problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »

Yep, good for the players ... and it's about time. Everybody else has been getting rich on their backs for generations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »
How dare Dawson only think of himself and his future and what's best for him, and not those of us he left behind that he has never met (teal)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
"I’m going to be on the biggest stage and I think that we’re going to have a chance to win the National Championship.”

^Dawson quotes to 247

UNC goes from 27 to 23 via T-Rank. Not much of a bump.

https://barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?run=1&team=North%20Carolina&player=Dawson%20Garcia%3BMarquette

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2021, 12:21:19 PM »
Pun intended or un-intended?

My buddy who coached Dawson told me earlier in the week the choice was NC.  I guess he was right on the money.  I didn’t want to believe him.  I hope Dawson does well there.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
UNC goes from 27 to 23 via T-Rank. Not much of a bump.

https://barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?run=1&team=North%20Carolina&player=Dawson%20Garcia%3BMarquette

Marquette coming in at 87:

78 Vanderbilt
79 Nebraska
80 Liberty
81 Murray State
82 Buffalo
83 Northern Iowa
84 Missouri State
85 TCU
86 Cincinnati
87 Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »
"I’m going to be on the biggest stage and I think that we’re going to have a chance to win the National Championship.”

^Dawson quotes to 247

It's a big stage, but he's delusional if he thinks they're a title contender.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
Chapel Hill :/

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »
Losing DJ was bigger. Looking forward to seeing the newcomers get his minutes honestly. Figured he was gone regardless of the transfer.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »

I just find it so interesting that people by and large didn't seem to be all that concerned about an unbalanced playing field....until the players got NIL rights.  NOW it's a problem.
The FBI cared, the national media cared, the NCAA cared and lots of fans cared. IMHO there seems to be less care about it NOW with NIL in place.

It is probably a good thing overall but the people who don't think this will effect the landscape of college sports are ignorant in my opinion. Maybe Oregon State is the new Gonzaga and Nebraska is the new Villanova; the money will get paid to athletes and the highest bidder will win. If I were a college athlete I would love this.

I don't see this as unfair to players but it is a drastic change that will weed out the small schools. Probably for the best.

Maybe it is time for the Big East, AAC, A10 and others to break off from the NCAA instead of the P5 doing so first.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »
It's a big stage, but he's delusional if he thinks they're a title contender.

agreed. way too streaky of a backcourt and thin on the wing. nice 3 headed monster with Bacot, Manek & Dawson downlow though.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2021, 12:50:21 PM »
The FBI cared, the national media cared, the NCAA cared and lots of fans cared. IMHO there seems to be less care about it NOW with NIL in place.

It is probably a good thing overall but the people who don't think this will effect the landscape of college sports are ignorant in my opinion. Maybe Oregon State is the new Gonzaga and Nebraska is the new Villanova; the money will get paid to athletes and the highest bidder will win. If I were a college athlete I would love this.

I don't see this as unfair to players but it is a drastic change that will weed out the small schools. Probably for the best.

Maybe it is time for the Big East, AAC, A10 and others to break off from the NCAA instead of the P5 doing so first.

P5 have a plan in place to run all tournaments for all sports?  Set up schedules without mid and low majors?  Let me know when they do, thanks
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »

You don't want this if you're a Marquette fan.  Unless you enjoy playing a meaningless tournament every year and watching the P5 schools play their own.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #840 on: July 08, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »
P5 have a plan in place to run all tournaments for all sports?  Set up schedules without mid and low majors?  Let me know when they do, thanks
Running tournaments is not that hard, every conference does it in every sport and the P5 has more than enough money to do so. In fact, they would make/keep more money than have to share it with other schools.

I'm sure some schools, even if not NCAA schools, will still play P5 schools for a payday and butt kicking.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #841 on: July 08, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
You don't want this if you're a Marquette fan.  Unless you enjoy playing a meaningless tournament every year and watching the P5 schools play their own.
Most definitely a Marquette fan. Not having a somewhat equal shot at the best players and coaches would make every season meaningless.

Just look at DePaul, they can't draw flies to their games and they are in the Big East. Competitive balance, or the opportunity for it, draws fans. Pro sports does this and they make bank.

I'd be very happy if MU won a tournament vs Gonzaga or Nova or Houston, etc.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #842 on: July 08, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
Running tournaments is not that hard, every conference does it in every sport and the P5 has more than enough money to do so. In fact, they would make/keep more money than have to share it with other schools.

I'm sure some schools, even if not NCAA schools, will still play P5 schools for a payday and butt kicking.

Then why haven’t they?   Because they have the ncaa to do so.  They also have the ncaa to take the slings and arrows they otherwise would have to take. 

I’m all for the death of the NCAA.  Let the P5 break away.  Do away with the pretense of amateurism and student athlete completely.  Colleges amd athletics co-exist strictly for financial purposes.  Those that believe otherwise haven’t been paying attention for over a century

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2021, 01:32:38 PM »
Peace out
No Finish Line

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »
Losers see NIL as a threat
Winners see NIL as an opportunity

I'm pretty sure given his comments on the Portal that Shaka is in the winning camp.

Evolve people, it's good for you.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #845 on: July 08, 2021, 01:36:58 PM »
Guess Dawson was tired of going to his own classes

I see no reason for teal on this one...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #846 on: July 08, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »
Then why haven’t they?   Because they have the ncaa to do so.  They also have the ncaa to take the slings and arrows they otherwise would have to take. 

I’m all for the death of the NCAA.  Let the P5 break away.  Do away with the pretense of amateurism and student athlete completely.  Colleges amd athletics co-exist strictly for financial purposes.  Those that believe otherwise haven’t been paying attention for over a century
I mostly agree. But I think colleges and athletics can co-exist, just look at DIII and DII. They are the majority of the NCAA landscape. While the NCAA is not perfect, they do serve the vast majority of their schools and students well. People like to focus on the Duke's and Alabama's and USC's of the world (where there needs change) but forget the 10,000+ student athletes that are well served. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #847 on: July 08, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
the people who don't think this will effect the landscape of college sports are ignorant

I don't know anybody here who said this wouldn't be a change, with many saying it would be a big change.

There have been other huge changes in the history of college sports. The world survived them all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #848 on: July 08, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »
I mostly agree. But I think colleges and athletics can co-exist, just look at DIII and DII. They are the majority of the NCAA landscape. While the NCAA is not perfect, they do serve the vast majority of their schools and students well. People like to focus on the Duke's and Alabama's and USC's of the world (where there needs change) but forget the 10,000+ student athletes that are well served.

NIL is available to all student athletes

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #849 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:06 PM »

NIL is available to all student athletes
Ok, agreed. But my post was about the fact that DII & DIII college sports are a good thing even though there is no money to be made by the schools. Unless you think Loras College is making bank on its swimming team like Alabama football does, I don't get your point.