[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[March 28, 2024, 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162196 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #725 on: July 03, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »
I think this is a common problem for long time Milwaukee residents, they lose (if they ever had) sight of all there is to see and do.  This isn't a knock on anyone, I think it's natural... but it's good to sometimes play tourist in your own city sometimes.  Milwaukee is a perfect type of town for a small get away.  You can come for a sporting event, festival, live show of some sort (concert, off broadway show, comedian, etc), or whatever it is you're into and then make a whole weekend or week out of it.  Breweries, renting a boat or kayak on the river, museums, the restaurant scene that punches WAY above the city size, architecture tours, public market, art scene, proximity to numerous PGA quality golf courses, etc etc.

Er, and to stay on topic: This is part of why DG should stay at MU.      ::)

Not disagreeing with any of this. But “off Broadway” is not what you think it means. There is no such thing as off Broadway that is not in New York City.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #726 on: July 04, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »
Dawson Garcia official list:

Marquette
UNC
Illinois
Arizona
Pro

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1411694236504821760?s=21

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #727 on: July 04, 2021, 01:28:51 PM »
Interesting, no Minnesota.
Anyone been to Champaign-Urbana?
Is it much of a town?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #728 on: July 04, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »
Is it much of a town?
Champaign-Urbana not much of a town

Best scenario for MU is that Dawson goes Pro
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #729 on: July 04, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

Marquette
UNC
Illinois
Arizona
Pro

That’s the most definite “not Marquette” I’ve read without saying “not Marquette“.  Moving on…

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #730 on: July 04, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »
Champaign-Urbana not much of a town

Best scenario for MU is that Dawson goes Pro

I have been to most of the Big Ten schools except PennSt and MD. Illinois is in the middle of nowhere, and was not impressed with any of there facilities. Last place I would go.

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #731 on: July 04, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »

Marquette
UNC
Illinois
Arizona
Pro

I liked these replies to that tweet.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #732 on: July 04, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »
Is it much of a town?

Spent a lot of time there in the "aughts." Depending on the way the wind blows, it often literally stinks. Very little there that anybody would care to see. Almost no culture. Very flat. Great restaurants as long as one considers Applebee's great.

U of I does have several majors that are well-regarded, and its basketball program has been anywhere from decent to outstanding for much of the last 40 years.

I'll be pretty impressed with Underwood's recruiting prowess if he ends up with Garcia.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #733 on: July 04, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
Good school in the armpit of the Midwest.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #734 on: July 04, 2021, 04:56:35 PM »
Shaka is solid at developing bigs and has a few bigs in the NBA currently is my understanding is that correct

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #735 on: July 04, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
Shaka is solid at developing bigs and has a few bigs in the NBA currently is my understanding is that correct
Sure, but I suspect Dawson sees himself as more of a perimeter guy?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #736 on: July 04, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
Boys…..DG would certainly not choose U of I because it’s a fun town or has great restaurants. Cmon.
He’s maybe spending 6-9 months in these potential landing spots(if at all). I don’t think he is checking real estate trends in Champaign.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #737 on: July 04, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »
Dawson Garcia listed 100th in ESPN best available. First time I have seen him any list like this

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/4
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #738 on: July 04, 2021, 10:13:58 PM »
Boys…..DG would certainly not choose U of I because it’s a fun town or has great restaurants. Cmon.
He’s maybe spending 6-9 months in these potential landing spots(if at all). I don’t think he is checking real estate trends in Champaign.

FWIW, I totally agree. Somebody asked about Champaign, and I answered. I certainly did not mean to imply that just because Champaign is a dump, it would stop Garcia from going there. They've landed a lot of very good players over the years, and produced many first-round draft picks.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #739 on: July 05, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen, Mo Bamba, Jaxson Hayes Are All Bigs who played for Shaka at Texas and All presently play in the NBA .

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #740 on: July 05, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
Good school in the armpit of the Midwest.

Hey, that's an insult to armpit's everywhere.

But they do have legal recreational drugs, so maybe there is one positive about Illinois.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #741 on: July 05, 2021, 10:36:09 AM »
Turner didn't play for Shaka. Bamba was a top 3 recruit. Allen a consensus top 15 recruit. So really can't give too much credit for their development. Hayes on the other hand was ranked in the 90s.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #742 on: July 05, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
Turner didn't play for Shaka. Bamba was a top 3 recruit. Allen a consensus top 15 recruit. So really can't give too much credit for their development. Hayes on the other hand was ranked in the 90s.

You could throw in Kai Jones.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #743 on: July 05, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »

How many highly ranked players don’t pan out? Plenty. JJJ was top 30. Quinerly couldn’t hack it at Nova. Grimes was disappointing at KU. Etc etc etc.

Even top talent needs to be “developed.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #744 on: July 05, 2021, 12:41:31 PM »
You could throw in Kai Jones.

Greg Brown and Jericho Sims are likely to join the list too.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #745 on: July 05, 2021, 02:05:27 PM »
Greg Brown and Jericho Sims are likely to join the list too.

Definitely.  As has been said before, if Dawson were choosing a school based solely on the coach's track record with big/big-adjacent players being drafted, it'd be MU. 

However, I suspect that this is more of a business decision than a basketball one.  There's hype surrounding any big-time transfer, and that hype will carry through the relatively-short NCAA season so long as they play decently.  Outside of pulling off an AA season, he wouldn't get that attention if he stayed at MU.  But if he goes to UNC or Arizona and averages 13 pts and 7 rebounds, he's talked about in the national media.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #746 on: July 05, 2021, 02:54:36 PM »
But does the national media have a significant impact on his draft status? I think the NBA scouts know exactly who DG is. I don’t think changing his collegiate destination will have much bearing on that.
SA has put a lot of bigs in the league and is a defensive coach—which DG needs from the accounts that I have read. I hope he returns….although admittedly that is seeming less likely.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #747 on: July 05, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
But does the national media have a significant impact on his draft status? I think the NBA scouts know exactly who DG is. I don’t think changing his collegiate destination will have much bearing on that.
SA has put a lot of bigs in the league and is a defensive coach—which DG needs from the accounts that I have read. I hope he returns….although admittedly that is seeming less likely.

Maybe not a significant impact, but I think there's likely a bias that a guy who can put up good numbers at a school like UNC or Arizona is more draftable, even if he put up the same (or better) numbers at MU. 

And I don't think we can discount the possible impact of NIL on some players.  Marketability as a UNC player is no doubt higher than that of an MU player, and media exposure is part of that.

I do find it interesting that 3 of his 4 final schools all have new coaches this year, and it's not as if Underwood is that established at Illinois.  I wouldn't say that any of those 4 are locks for a successful season, so you can't say Dawson is taking the path of least resistance. 

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #748 on: July 05, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Maybe not a significant impact, but I think there's likely a bias that a guy who can put up good numbers at a school like UNC or Arizona is more draftable, even if he put up the same (or better) numbers at MU. 

False.

A Big East schedule, especially with a tough OOC, would be viewed as good or even more impressive than most other schools and conferences, especially the way the PAC12 has been.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #749 on: July 05, 2021, 04:20:34 PM »

And I don't think we can discount the possible impact of NIL on some players.  Marketability as a UNC player is no doubt higher than that of an MU player, and media exposure is part of that.

I think in general an NIL at UNC is going to be worth more the one at MU. However, at MU Dawson is more likely to have the highest NIL value of MU players, whereas at UNC he is not likely to be the player in most demand. I have no idea how this would equate dollar wise, but the face of the program should get the best deals.

feedback