'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162093 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
While I do not expect Garcia to return, I read his comment about possibly returning as leaving the door open, even if just a crack. To me, it does not matter at all that it was the last item mentioned. This is the same board that had a solid majority absolutely certain that Wojo would not be fired.   

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2021, 03:19:19 PM »
While I do not expect Garcia to return, I read his comment about possibly returning as leaving the door open, even if just a crack. To me, it does not matter at all that it was the last item mentioned. This is the same board that had a solid majority absolutely certain that Wojo would not be fired.
What board?
Goal is National Championship

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »
What board?

This board. Everyone said COVID “bought” him an additional year. Then the carousel started to spin

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »
Once you've opened the door to transferring a crack, it's awfully hard to close it.

There have been circumstances, but this is often just saving face

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
Once you've opened the door to transferring a crack, it's awfully hard to close it.

Garcia may have more of a concern who his PG will be.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »

I believe that you misread my post. Leaving the opening the "door open just a crack" referred to the possibility of Garcia's return to Marquette.

Anyone have stats to show how often a player returns to his team after entering the portal? My guess is only a few. It's not a sure thing that he's leaving Marquette, but its very probably so. Its still possible he will return. We should know soon.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

romey

• All American
« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »
Garcia may have more of a concern who his PG will be.

Morsell?

Maybe that's why he left open the possibility of a return.

Hey, why not?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2021, 09:08:31 PM »
This board. Everyone said COVID “bought” him an additional year. Then the carousel started to spin

I was one of them. I thought MU’s financial woes would prevent it from happening.someone stepped up financially, and I’m appreciative of them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2021, 09:32:07 PM »
What board?

Sultan (and maybe others) insisted it was a fact, not an opinion, that Wojo was coming back.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »
Sultan (and maybe others) insisted it was a fact, not an opinion, that Wojo was coming back.

Poll on this very board in February- 246 votes cast- 78% he would be back. I was in the 22% 😁

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »

I think things changed dramatically and quickly.  I thought he’d be back as well and was pleasantly surprised they made the move.  I definitely thought it was around 99% he’d be back because of financial reasons but I think it was Doc who said to rip off the band-aid now and that made sense to me after thinking about it.  They were probably going to pay at the box office next year if he was a lame duck coach come Big East schedule time in 2022. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »
Was very happy to be wrong about us being stuck with Wojo in 2021-22.

Let's remember that the same guy who was demanding apologies from Scoopers after Wojo did get canned also had insisted that Lewis would be gone. I guess he owes the rest of us apologies for that one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2021, 08:46:09 AM »
Was very happy to be wrong about us being stuck with Wojo in 2021-22.

Let's remember that the same guy who was demanding apologies from Scoopers after Wojo did get canned also had insisted that Lewis would be gone. I guess he owes the rest of us apologies for that one.

I'm confident Lewis will still leave. By the 2025-26 season, he'll be gone, mark my words!
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
Poll on this very board in February- 246 votes cast- 78% he would be back. I was in the 22% 😁

I, too, thought he'd be gone against popular belief. While COVID hurt all schools and businesses financially, keeping a failing head coach had the potential to cripple the basketball program for years to come.

It was no secret the fan and alumni base were done with Wojo.  With fans allowed to return fully this season, there was legitimate danger in ticket sales tanking. Couple that with the on-going (now known) uncertainty of both Dawson and DJ, and it really became a no brainer.

I'm glad the right decision was made, despite the hesitations many had for obvious reasons on this board.  And I still wish Wojo the best in his future pursuits.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »
I'm confident Lewis will still leave. By the 2025-26 season, he'll be gone, mark my words!

What do you expect from JLew in 21-22?  Could he be a 14  and 10 guy with solid shooting percentages?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #540 on: June 27, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »
Well most thought it wouldn't happen because there was going to be backlash if money was spent for a buyout while employees were being laid off. A big donor was willing to part ways with a couple of million or maybe 3.
Goal is National Championship

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #541 on: June 27, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »
If we have a morsel of good news on Monday, I think the door goes from being open a crack to ajar. Just a wild guess, but I think our chances of Garcia returning may go up to 1 in 4, maybe even 1 in 3. Let's hope that Morsell will become the pivot point.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #542 on: June 27, 2021, 10:39:28 AM »
What do you expect from JLew in 21-22?  Could he be a 14  and 10 guy with solid shooting percentages?

Without Garcia, I’m expecting close to that. Maybe 13 and 8 with plenty of Double Doubles. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he could be even better. Hopefully he plays good enough defense and is injury free so he can put up big numbers. The ceiling is high for J Lew.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #543 on: June 27, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »
If we have a morsel of good news on Monday, I think the door goes from being open a crack to ajar. Just a wild guess, but I think our chances of Garcia returning may go up to 1 in 4, maybe even 1 in 3. Let's hope that Morsell will become the pivot point.

Morsell coming and no Dawson is where I would set your expectations.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
Morsell coming and no Dawson is where I would set your expectations.

I set my own expectations but thanks for the kind offer to help. By stating that I think the chances for Garcia returning will increase to 1 in 4, maybe 1 in 3, obviously I do not expect Garcia to return.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #545 on: June 27, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »
I can't speak for all,  but I know many who said Wojo was back gave a pretty big caveat.... unless a donor or donors offered to pay the buyout. That caveat was mercifully fulfilled and Wojo was thankfully shown the door.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #546 on: June 27, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
I set my own expectations but thanks for the kind offer to help. By stating that I think the chances for Garcia returning will increase to 1 in 4, maybe 1 in 3, obviously I do not expect Garcia to return.
Contrarian theory would be that Morsell might be choosing MU because Garcia is leaving?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #547 on: June 27, 2021, 12:24:08 PM »
I can't speak for all,  but I know many who said Wojo was back gave a pretty big caveat.... unless a donor or donors offered to pay the buyout. That caveat was mercifully fulfilled and Wojo was thankfully shown the door.

And everything I heard was that he was going to be back - until things got really bad in the BET.

If it makes Lenny’s feel better to admit I was wrong, I’ll admit I was wrong.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #548 on: June 27, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
Here’s my bold and probably unpopular take: keeping JL is more important than DG
No Finish Line

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #549 on: June 27, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »

And I’m just telling you what is going to happen.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback