'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162201 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2021, 10:50:55 AM »
Is this a fact?  I heard from someone who works at MU that he registered for summer classes and was seen on campus with backpack in tow (a few weeks ago)

I’m pretty sure this is not the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2021, 10:57:02 AM »
Let me know when he doesn’t get the green weenie on someone better than Garcia

I'm not begging any 18 yo kid to accept a $200-250k free ride and all the perks  that go with it including being BMOC. Like I said before, uck 'em, fay, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #502 on: June 26, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
Would be very surprised if he ends up back with MU.  Also don’t think he’ll stay in the draft.  He’ll pick another school and bolt to NBA next year seems most likely scenario.

He wants to move on, fine and good luck. Just stop playing with MU already. So tired of today’s athletes and their bulls*** will I or won’t I game and stringing everyone along ad nauseam.

romey

• All American
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »

I’m pretty sure this is not the case.
Fair enough.  I had heard that a couple weeks ago, so that's why I was asking.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2021, 11:11:50 AM »
Would be very surprised if he ends up back with MU.  Also don’t think he’ll stay in the draft.  He’ll pick another school and bolt to NBA next year seems most likely scenario.

He wants to move on, fine and good luck. Just stop playing with MU already. So tired of today’s athletes and their bulls*** will I or won’t I game and stringing everyone along ad nauseam.

Don’t let it sweat you.  Shaka knows what’s up.  His team is in the gym.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »
Lens,

There is no middle ground anymore.  You are either far left or far right in everything.  The far right MU fans were disgusted with Wojo and that irritated the far left.  Now the far left is getting their jabs in on anything negative they perceive about Shaka (most of it just to annoy the fair right just as they were with constant jabs at Wojo). 

The middle just has to put up with the BS and continue rooting for whoever the current MU coach is because that is good for everyone.

I think it has to do with proving to everyone they are right.  The big reason to stick with Wojo was to keep the core roster together.  Though we can't see whether Wojo would have been able to do that, it appears that Shaka was not able to keep 2/3s of that together and lost arguably the best player in the incoming class.  This proves to this group that they were "right."

On the flip side, Shaka has brought in a good amount of talent and is a more established coach.  If he wins quick, the results above no matta and the other side will say they were "right".  It if takes 3-5 years to rebuild, then the group above will say "they were right." 

What matters is that Shaka is our coach and we all want MU to win so it doesn't matta who was "right".

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »
I think it has to do with proving to everyone they are right.  The big reason to stick with Wojo was to keep the core roster together.  Though we can't see whether Wojo would have been able to do that, it appears that Shaka was not able to keep 2/3s of that together and lost arguably the best player in the incoming class.  This proves to this group that they were "right."

On the flip side, Shaka has brought in a good amount of talent and is a more established coach.  If he wins quick, the results above no matta and the other side will say they were "right".  It if takes 3-5 years to rebuild, then the group above will say "they were right." 

What matters is that Shaka is our coach and we all want MU to win so it doesn't matta who was "right".

Correct
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2021, 11:30:03 AM »
It frightens me to imagine what a Wojo-led team would have been next year, especially without Dawson or DJ returning.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »
It frightens me to imagine what a Wojo-led team would have been next year, especially without Dawson or DJ returning.

And apparently Lewis? Would've been painful.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »

This is nothing to be frightened over or to pray about, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #510 on: June 26, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »

I don't know who you're including here, but I was 100% on board with Wojo being fired. And if Dawson were to have entered the transfer portal shortly thereafter, or decides to turn pro, that wouldn't be at all on Shaka & Co.
But if your best returning player chooses another school, after three months of MU being the only program allowed to communicate with him, and after him saying repeatedly that he's considering a return to MU, that's an 'L.' Just as Dawson returning to MU would be a 'W.'

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #511 on: June 26, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
I don't know who you're including here, but I was 100% on board with Wojo being fired. And if Dawson were to have entered the transfer portal shortly thereafter, or decides to turn pro, that wouldn't be at all on Shaka & Co.
But if your best returning player chooses another school, after three months of MU being the only program allowed to communicate with him, and after him saying repeatedly that he's considering a return to MU, that's an 'L.' Just as Dawson returning to MU would be a 'W.'

Given a coaching change I don't think it's a big "L" maybe him and Shaka don't mesh or maybe Shaka says "my vision for you is the same as when you were in HS". If it was Wojo trying to get his recruit back it's an L for sure but coaching change makes it different 3 months or no IMO
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
You're being silly. This has nothing to do with Wojo.
For three months, no college staff has had better (and in theory, exclusive) access to speak with Dawson about his future should be decide to return to school. And the fact that Dawson didn't enter the portal from day one shows that he was never dead-set on leaving MU.
If despite that Dawson decides to play college ball elsewhere, it's a loss for the staff. It's not the end of the world. It's not Hausershima. It's not what Shaka's tenure will be judged by. But it's a loss.
Why is that even controversial? It's common sense.
And trying to spin it as "Dawson is just another Joey" or "Shaka made the call" is ridiculous.

I think losing Garcia is one point on a big line that we don’t know is going up or down yet.  You are being silly if you can’t see the jabs people are taking at each other, mostly just to be douche bags. 

I agree it would be in the negative column though.  I just don’t think it’s worth rubbing peoples faces in it before a game is even played.  Garcia had a foot out the door already.  A coaching change occurred and he has no loyalty to that coach.  I don’t think it says anything even minor about Shaka.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:30:01 PM by Shooter McGavin »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
Given a coaching change I don't think it's a big "L" maybe him and Shaka don't mesh or maybe Shaka says "my vision for you is the same as when you were in HS". If it was Wojo trying to get his recruit back it's an L for sure but coaching change makes it different 3 months or no IMO

You'll note I didn't use the phrase "Big L" and have repeatedly said that this won't be a factor in how we ultimately judge Shaka.
That said, if Shaka and Dawson had a different vision, why did Dawson wait so long to put his name in the portal? It would seem those conversations would have been had months ago. And why is he still considering a return to MU if he and Shaka don't share a vision?
I think any effort to spin Garcia leaving as something Shaka wants (or "his call", as someone said) is very wishful thinking. Shaka wants Dawson back, for obvious reasons.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »
He never said he’d return to MU, he gave a very luke warm nod towards MU in his announcement. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2021, 12:07:37 PM »
If the knock on Dawson is his lack of defensive with respect to the NBA, perhaps he would want to play for a defensive minded coach?
He can go somewhere else and be highlighted offensively and be right back where he is right now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #516 on: June 26, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
In terms of wins and losses, Carton and Garcia staying would have been the best-case scenario.  It's silly to argue otherwise. 

DJ seemed to like Shaka but just wanted to be done with college.  Disappointing but hard to cast any blame on Shaka in this case.

As for Garcia, it would be great if he came back.  He would probably be our best player, it would be fun to watch him continue to develop under Shaka, and we would be a better team.  If he transfers, so be it.  Different situation than DJ but still hard to see it as a poor reflection on Shaka considering how common transfer out are during a coaching change. 

If he does transfer, as seems more likely now, the focus shifts even further away from our record and to development.  How much better can the team get over the course of the season?  Can these guys develop enough through this season and the next offseason to be a tourney team in 22-23? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #517 on: June 26, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »
If you think Dawson has been stringing Smart along for three months,  you're mistaken. They've been talking and know exactly where things stand. If Dawson wants to buy into the culture Shaka is building,  he will be welcomed with open arms. If his camp has a different vision for him, a new coach looking to prove himself will make that deal. That's not a bad thing,  every party should do what's best for their situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

Agreed

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #519 on: June 26, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
If you think Dawson has been stringing Smart along for three months,  you're mistaken. They've been talking and know exactly where things stand. If Dawson wants to buy into the culture Shaka is building,  he will be welcomed with open arms. If his camp has a different vision for him, a new coach looking to prove himself will make that deal. That's not a bad thing,  every party should do what's best for their situation.
How do you know they have been talking, and who is in Garcia's camp?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #520 on: June 26, 2021, 01:53:55 PM »
In terms of wins and losses, Carton and Garcia staying would have been the best-case scenario.  It's silly to argue otherwise. 

DJ seemed to like Shaka but just wanted to be done with college.  Disappointing but hard to cast any blame on Shaka in this case.

As for Garcia, it would be great if he came back.  He would probably be our best player, it would be fun to watch him continue to develop under Shaka, and we would be a better team.  If he transfers, so be it.  Different situation than DJ but still hard to see it as a poor reflection on Shaka considering how common transfer out are during a coaching change. 

If he does transfer, as seems more likely now, the focus shifts even further away from our record and to development.  How much better can the team get over the course of the season?  Can these guys develop enough through this season and the next offseason to be a tourney team in 22-23?

Excellent post. The first paragraph is a no-brainer, despite attempts by some to spin it as a good thing. Those who didn't think Shaka very much wanted to keep DJ and Garcia are on quaaludes or something.

I am not pining for DJ, nor will I pine for Garcia if he indeed leaves. I don't "blame" Shaka for either young man leaving. I will be cheering on Shaka and all the players under his charge. But as a Marquette fan who wants to have the best team possible every year and who thought DJ and Garcia had all-conference talent, I would have loved to have seen DJ and Garcia with another year of experience and being coached by Shaka.

That's all it is. It isn't right or left or pro-Shaka or anti-Wojo or vice versa. I just want to effen win.

And I don't think Garcia has "strung us along." He's operating within the rules and the framework allowed, trying to make the best decision for himself -- just like every coach, including Shaka, does every day of every year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #521 on: June 26, 2021, 02:11:32 PM »

100%
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #522 on: June 26, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »
were gonna suck next year. accept it ppl. it happens with coaching changes. glad to have shaka

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #523 on: June 26, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »

Agreed. Losing good players is rarely a good thing. Bottom line, I'm not a Wojo fan, a Shaka fan, a Hauser fan, or a Garcia fan. I'm a Marquette fan, and I want them to win. Wojo's big issue was that he never accomplished enough after his grace period. Shaka's gonna get a grace period as well, but if we're gonna be bad next year, then he needs to make up for it moving forward. I think/hope he will.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #524 on: June 26, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »

This has nothing to do with “today’s athletes” other than they have more options.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow