[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162144 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #475 on: June 26, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
Yup.  Those dismissing him leaving are doing so with rose-colored anti-Wojo bias.  Garcia is a good player.  I prefer as many good players as possible on the roster.  It’s interesting that losing the Hausers was an unforgivable sin but we’re supposed to shrug our shoulders about Garcia.

If he isn’t sure about Shaka, then it’s probably best for him to explore his options.  And maybe Shaka is fine with him moving on.  All of these things can be true but let’s not act like the kid isn’t a talented basketball player.

Regardless of coach, if a player doesn't want to be here, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any fan that would prefer having player that actually wants to be here.  Granted, the Hauser situation was truly a unique breaking point for the Wojo era.  Many on here came to that realization either in the present or in retrospective after Wojo was dismissed.

Look, there are now a number of players that have transferred out of MU, seeking greener pastures, and the harsh reality is that it rarely ends up better for the player in question.  I think there are obviously notable exceptions (like Deonte at ISU, Sam at Virginia, etc.).  However, from a production standpoint, many players do not perform as well as they did here.  The indifference to losing a player like Garcia, in theory, is that A) it opens up minutes for one of the newbies, B) it is likely that DG doesn't take a huge leap at whatever program he attends next and C) the fan base wants kids that actually want to be at MU. 

It's not an anti-Wojo bias.  It's support and fandom for the long-term development of Shaka's new program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #476 on: June 26, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
Agreed. String the program along chasing what he wanted to hear and then enters the portal. Let's move on.

Absolutely.  Tired of this dance what will he do.  Goodbye already. Over three months since Shaka being hired and evaluating his draft chances and everything remains on the table, with a transfer added to the mix is the big news now?!?! For crying out loud, decide.  You were a 13 and 6 guy with I think three double double games last year.  I’ve preferred him back, but at this point, screw it. See ya. 

I’m rooting for Shaka and the 11 guys committed to wearing blue and gold next season and are mentally and physically preparing to be Warriors. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:15:58 AM by HutchwasClutch »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #477 on: June 26, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
Perhaps, but he's not wrong.
Losing a player like Garcia to the pros would be disappointing, but completely understandable and in no way a reflection on the coaching staff.
Losing him to some other school - Minnesota, no less - after having a three-month window to persuade him that MU is where he should be if he stays in college, that hurts.

I’m not dismissing his loss. I’m dismissing that this has anything to do with Shaka’s ability as a coach. Players transferring with a new coach is par for the course.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #478 on: June 26, 2021, 09:16:56 AM »
New question: does Shaka continue to hold a scholarship open for DG?  I believe we have two open at present. If one is Morsell, that still leaves one.

Nah, we can do better. Adios, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »
I doubt that Garcia did much talking with Shaka about MU while he was concentrating on the NBA, and MU's roster was in transition.  Now that the NBA hasn't happened, he's giving himself a chance to listen to other coaches as well as Shaka while he decides.  Shaka can talk to him knowing pretty much what next year's roster looks like and where he fits in with it.

I think its premature to consider Garcia in or out.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #480 on: June 26, 2021, 09:23:02 AM »
Unless you determine that Dawson is sort of like Joey.

What does this even mean?
First, we never saw an iota of pouting from Dawson the way we did from Joey (and Dawson had FAR more reason to pout).
Second, the last coach got crucified for losing Joey, so ...

I don’t get why anyone is surprised and even disappointed?  He was so detached for the last 3 months. He wasn’t going to war every day with Todd Smith.  He didn’t buy into Shaka, probably bc Shaka means late nights, early mornings and carrying your brother the whole time. 

Speaking of detached, this is detached from reality.
Dawson wasn't "detached" the last three months. He was preparing for, and going through, the NBA process. The same as every other underclassman going through the process. You don't do that on campus "going to war with" the strength coach and "carrying your brother," whatever that's supposed to mean.

Let’s look up in March and see who made the right call.  My money is with Smart. 

What call are you talking about? Are you under the impression that Shaka made a call here? That he doesn't want Dawson back?
Don't be delusional, Lens. This is Badger-level "we didn't want him anyway" thinking. Marquette very much wants Dawson back.

Look, losing Dawson won't be much, or any, of a factor in how we judge Shaka's time at Marquette. But to act as if losing him to another school at this point is meaningless is strapping on those Shaka-colored glasses so tight it's messing with your ability to think rationally.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #481 on: June 26, 2021, 09:30:22 AM »
Unless you determine that Dawson is sort of like Joey.

I don’t get why anyone is surprised and even disappointed?  He was so detached for the last 3 months. He wasn’t going to war every day with Todd Smith.  He didn’t buy into Shaka, probably bc Shaka means late nights, early mornings and carrying your brother the whole time. 

Let’s look up in March and see who made the right call.  My money is with Smart. 

It’s a new day.

Lens,

There is no middle ground anymore.  You are either far left or far right in everything.  The far right MU fans were disgusted with Wojo and that irritated the far left.  Now the far left is getting their jabs in on anything negative they perceive about Shaka (most of it just to annoy the fair right just as they were with constant jabs at Wojo). 

The middle just has to put up with the BS and continue rooting for whoever the current MU coach is because that is good for everyone. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #482 on: June 26, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
If Garcia goes to Minnesota, the number one reason is to be close to home. After a year being holed up in isolation, I totally get why Dawson would want to be close to that family support.

Let's remember these players are also human beings.  Good luck Dawson.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
If Dawson stays and works within the new coach's system then we are fans.

If Dawson stays and is a cancer then we are not fans.

If Dawson transfers out we will forget him.

Sincere question: Does anyone really care how a player does once he transfers out to another school?   

Death on call

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »
If Dawson stays and works within the new coach's system then we are fans.

If Dawson stays and is a cancer then we are not fans.

If Dawson transfers out we will forget him.

Sincere question: Does anyone really care how a player does once he transfers out to another school?

Have you seen the hundreds of posts about Burton and the Hausers? 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »

Have you not seen the 21-page Hauser brothers thread?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
I doubt that Garcia did much talking with Shaka about MU while he was concentrating on the NBA, and MU's roster was in transition.  Now that the NBA hasn't happened, he's giving himself a chance to listen to other coaches as well as Shaka while he decides.  Shaka can talk to him knowing pretty much what next year's roster looks like and where he fits in with it.

I think its premature to consider Garcia in or out.

This is completely fair and accurate. If Shaka and staff are able to reel Dawson back in, then it's a job well done.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »

Nah, we can do better. Adios, hey?

Let me know when he doesn’t get the green weenie on someone better than Garcia
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »
If Garcia goes to Minnesota, the number one reason is to be close to home. After a year being holed up in isolation, I totally get why Dawson would want to be close to that family support.

Yeah, I’d get that too. But three effing months and counting to determine between his home state, other schools, MU, and the draft?!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
Lens,

There is no middle ground anymore.  You are either far left or far right in everything.  The far right MU fans were disgusted with Wojo and that irritated the far left.  Now the far left is getting their jabs in on anything negative they perceive about Shaka (most of it just to annoy the fair right just as they were with constant jabs at Wojo). 

The middle just has to put up with the BS and continue rooting for whoever the current MU coach is because that is good for everyone.

You're being silly. This has nothing to do with Wojo.
For three months, no college staff has had better (and in theory, exclusive) access to speak with Dawson about his future should be decide to return to school. And the fact that Dawson didn't enter the portal from day one shows that he was never dead-set on leaving MU.
If despite that Dawson decides to play college ball elsewhere, it's a loss for the staff. It's not the end of the world. It's not Hausershima. It's not what Shaka's tenure will be judged by. But it's a loss.
Why is that even controversial? It's common sense.
And trying to spin it as "Dawson is just another Joey" or "Shaka made the call" is ridiculous.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
Yup.  Those dismissing him leaving are doing so with rose-colored anti-Wojo bias.  Garcia is a good player.  I prefer as many good players as possible on the roster.  It’s interesting that losing the Hausers was an unforgivable sin but we’re supposed to shrug our shoulders about Garcia.

If he isn’t sure about Shaka, then it’s probably best for him to explore his options.  And maybe Shaka is fine with him moving on.  All of these things can be true but let’s not act like the kid isn’t a talented basketball player.

Big difference is the Hausers were there. Dawson hasn't been on campus since Shaka took over.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »

The being in isolation thing is huge. I'm not saying the basketball players usually integrate into the larger campus community often but being in isolation all year would've taken away literally any campus community connections or fun game day memories. For his freshman year MU's very interchangeable
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
Have you not seen the 21-page Hauser brothers thread?

Who are the "Hauser brothers?" Is that a brand of cough drops or something?

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2021, 10:07:49 AM »
Sam Hauser left a team that had been too 10 and was preseason top 5 where he would have been the #2 option in an offense only program to play for the ultimate team first / defense first coach in Tony Bennett. If you want to equate that to Dawson Garcia, go ahead, I’ve gotta program to rebuild.  I want dudes who are on board.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:09:47 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #494 on: June 26, 2021, 10:11:07 AM »
Sam Hauser left a team that had been too 10 and was preseason top 5 to play for the ultimate team first coach in Tony Bennett. If you want to equate that to Dawson Garcia, go ahead, I’ve gotta program to rebuild.  I want dudes who are on board.

So, you’ll take Dawson if he comes back then?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2021, 10:14:40 AM »
So, you’ll take Dawson if he comes back then?

His 3 months away gives me pause.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »
His 3 months away gives me pause.

Even if Shaka welcomes him back with open arms?  This is why this thread is so silly. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2021, 10:19:37 AM »
Shaka is saying all the right things publicly, meanwhile his team is grinding their tails off on N 12th. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
The Mods should remove the "Marquette 13-14" from the banner.

I cannot help but think that Dawson Garcia first cringes then burns with shame every time he comes to Scoop and is given such a hateful reminder of the ignominious end to The Floor Slapper Era.

It's a new day for Marquette Basketball. Let's purge the stains of dishonor from a failed regime.

Death on call

romey

• All American
« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
Big difference is the Hausers were there. Dawson hasn't been on campus since Shaka took over.

Is this a fact?  I heard from someone who works at MU that he registered for summer classes and was seen on campus with backpack in tow (a few weeks ago)