'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162112 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
It’s fine for you and others to be “over” Garcia, and DJ too, for that matter. You feel what you feel, and you’re entitled to that.

But IMHO we’d have been an NCAA tourney team with them being coached by Shaka and supported by an improved group around them, and we probably have little chance without them.

And that seems a little bit of an odd stance given how much people complain about us having no postseason success the last 8 years.

But if they don’t want to be at MU, see ya later.  I’ll care about guys who want to be part of what Shaka is building.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #451 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
Uck 'em Fay, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #452 on: June 25, 2021, 08:48:15 PM »
Al didn’t recruit him.  Not a loss
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #453 on: June 25, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #454 on: June 25, 2021, 09:07:38 PM »
But if they don’t want to be at MU, see ya later.  I’ll care about guys who want to be part of what Shaka is building.
Shaka fail #fireshaka just getting ahead. Scoop within a year.
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #455 on: June 25, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »
We sucked last year, bottom feeders in a very weak version of the Big East. While it would be nice to see if DJ and Garcia could tap their potential under Shaka, everyone on that team was at best a mixed bag. All were expendable. Would we have a better record next year if Carton and Garcia (and even John, Cain and McEwen) were part of the roster? You bet. But IMO a year of pain to establish a culture with your own guys is worth it. My two favorite players from last years team, the two I’d most want to go to war with - Lewis and Elliot - returned. Whether that’s a coincidence or a good omen I don’t know. But I’m hoping (and thinking) it’s the latter.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:33:46 PM by Lennys Tap »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #456 on: June 25, 2021, 09:48:46 PM »
Uck 'em Fay, aina?
Since when did you start speaking Pig Latin ?😎
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #457 on: June 25, 2021, 09:53:44 PM »
We sucked last year, bottom feeders in a very weak version of the Big East. While it would be nice to see if DJ and Garcia could tap their potential under Shaka, everyone on that team was at best a mixed bag. All were expendable. Would we have a better record next year if Carton and Garcia (and even John, Cain and McEwen) were part of the roster? You bet. But IMO a year of pain to establish a culture with your own guys is worth it. My two favorite players from last years team, the two I’d most want to go to war with - Lewis and Elliot - returned. Whether that’s a coincidence or a good omen I don’t know. But I’m hoping (and thinking) it’s the latter.

While I would have loved to see Garcia in a MU uniform next year based on his skill set and size I agree with your overall sentiment about starting fresh.  I also am very pleased that Lewis and Elliot are the two that are returning.  I have always loved Elliott’s attitude and Lewis looks like he can be the entire package of attitude, toughness and athleticism that we need going forward to compete at a high level in the big east.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #458 on: June 25, 2021, 11:24:28 PM »
If you excel at a big school, you put yourself in a better position for the next level.

I’d love for him to stay here, but it doesn’t really elevate his profile if he has a similar season here as he did last year and MU is a mediocre team.
NBA scouts have eyes on these kids when they're in high school and certainly every NBA org is well aware of who Garcia is.  If he thinks there's a coach and system that is better suited to get him to the NBA, then go for it.  But the usage he'll likely see and the coach's track record of developing NBA talent is pretty good at MU.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #459 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »

What is he building?

It's not like the talent he brought in is off-the-charts strong.

And Garcia is probably more talented than anyone Shaka got to come to MU.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #460 on: June 25, 2021, 11:42:35 PM »
This is a no f’ckn crap situation

Dawson leaving was predictable AF
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #461 on: June 26, 2021, 12:26:02 AM »
What is he building?

::)

1SE

• All American
« Reply #462 on: June 26, 2021, 03:01:27 AM »
Garcia on the team next year is better than not, full stop. That said, there are a million reasons why he might not want to come back some of which we might know, some of which we might speculate, and some of which we know nothing about. He may not make the "best" or "right" choice, but at 19 I know I didn't always make the best or right choice either.

I'll cheer him on if he's on our team and wish him well if he's not. Anything Shaka is able to accomplish this year, with or without Garcia, is gravy.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #463 on: June 26, 2021, 07:10:23 AM »
Mr. Garcia should transfer to Princeton.
You can't build a program with players who have one foot out the door.

How many years do you guys give the new coach?
Two, three, four?

Why is Marquette always held hostage?
Hostage by the parents, players, the league.

WWB do?
What would Buzz do?
WWAD?
What would Al do?

WWMD.
What will Marquette do?
Not much.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #464 on: June 26, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
If you excel at a big school, you put yourself in a better position for the next level.

I’d love for him to stay here, but it doesn’t really elevate his profile if he has a similar season here as he did last year and MU is a mediocre team.

In the 2020 lottery, players came from Georgia, Memphis, Florida State, Auburn, USC, Dayton, Maryland, Iowa State, Alabama, and Vanderbilt. In 2021 mocks, they look to be coming from Oklahoma State, USC, Gonzaga, Florida State, Baylor, UConn, Michigan, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Oregon. Now some of those have been more successful in the past 7 years, but I'm not sure most, or even many, would be considered "bigger" than we are.

You don't need to play at Duke or Kentucky. As the list shows, you don't even need to play at a P6.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #465 on: June 26, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »
He's looking for a better golden opportunity

Probably will Gopher it
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #466 on: June 26, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
What is he building?

Well that was a nice honeymoon. Lasted all of three months and zero games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #467 on: June 26, 2021, 07:58:10 AM »
Best of luck to you Mr. Garcia.  I wish you success wherever you go (unless that team plays MU).

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #468 on: June 26, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »
Probably will Gopher it
Having lived in the Twin Cities for 11 years, the spotlight sports in this order are hockey, hockey and hockey.
But there is something to be said about playing close to home.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:43:31 AM by NCMUFan »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #469 on: June 26, 2021, 08:17:26 AM »

Well that was a nice honeymoon. Lasted all of three months and zero games.

Perhaps, but he's not wrong.
Losing a player like Garcia to the pros would be disappointing, but completely understandable and in no way a reflection on the coaching staff.
Losing him to some other school - Minnesota, no less - after having a three-month window to persuade him that MU is where he should be if he stays in college, that hurts.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #470 on: June 26, 2021, 08:31:37 AM »
Losing a player like Garcia to the pros would be disappointing, but completely understandable and in no way a reflection on the coaching staff.
Losing him to some other school - Minnesota, no less - after having a three-month window to persuade him that MU is where he should be if he stays in college, that hurts.

Yup.  Those dismissing him leaving are doing so with rose-colored anti-Wojo bias.  Garcia is a good player.  I prefer as many good players as possible on the roster.  It’s interesting that losing the Hausers was an unforgivable sin but we’re supposed to shrug our shoulders about Garcia.

If he isn’t sure about Shaka, then it’s probably best for him to explore his options.  And maybe Shaka is fine with him moving on.  All of these things can be true but let’s not act like the kid isn’t a talented basketball player.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #471 on: June 26, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
In the 2020 lottery, players came from Georgia, Memphis, Florida State, Auburn, USC, Dayton, Maryland, Iowa State, Alabama, and Vanderbilt. In 2021 mocks, they look to be coming from Oklahoma State, USC, Gonzaga, Florida State, Baylor, UConn, Michigan, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Oregon. Now some of those have been more successful in the past 7 years, but I'm not sure most, or even many, would be considered "bigger" than we are.

You don't need to play at Duke or Kentucky. As the list shows, you don't even need to play at a P6.

No but it elevates your national profile playing for a team that wins games and is playing in the tournament. Minnesota doesn’t make sense but UNC absolutely does.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #472 on: June 26, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »
New question: does Shaka continue to hold a scholarship open for DG?  I believe we have two open at present. If one is Morsell, that still leaves one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #473 on: June 26, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
Yup.  Those dismissing him leaving are doing so with rose-colored anti-Wojo bias.  Garcia is a good player.  I prefer as many good players as possible on the roster.  It’s interesting that losing the Hausers was an unforgivable sin but we’re supposed to shrug our shoulders about Garcia.

If he isn’t sure about Shaka, then it’s probably best for him to explore his options.  And maybe Shaka is fine with him moving on.  All of these things can be true but let’s not act like the kid isn’t a talented basketball player.

Spot-effen-on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #474 on: June 26, 2021, 09:03:18 AM »

Unless you determine that Dawson is sort of like Joey.

I don’t get why anyone is surprised and even disappointed?  He was so detached for the last 3 months. He wasn’t going to war every day with Todd Smith.  He didn’t buy into Shaka, probably bc Shaka means late nights, early mornings and carrying your brother the whole time. 

Let’s look up in March and see who made the right call.  My money is with Smart. 

It’s a new day.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart