[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162094 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2021, 07:34:43 PM »
Nah. I'm glad he's gone. Said he shoulda been fired DURING last season, as you know.

But turning every thread into a blame-Wojo-thon ... it just gets tiring. The notion that Lewis would have left "because Wojo" ... just so dopey.

Impressive deduction.

yeah good thing we didn't do that with crean for some 10 years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #376 on: June 23, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »
yeah good thing we didn't do that with crean for some 10 years.

Great.

Whereas once we had Chicos defending Tom Crean’s honor in every single thread, now we have MU82 defending Wojo’s honor? And with not so witty efforts at sarcasm?

That’s perfect. I missed those days of incessant chivalrous defense of a past-tense coach.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #377 on: June 23, 2021, 08:53:41 PM »
Not remotely in the same class.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »
Based on all of this, no way I would recommend UW to my kids to play for Gard.  Thinking this will/should set their program back for a decade at least.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #379 on: June 23, 2021, 09:22:16 PM »
Nah. I'm glad he's gone. Said he shoulda been fired DURING last season, as you know.

But turning every thread into a blame-Wojo-thon ... it just gets tiring. The notion that Lewis would have left "because Wojo" ... just so dopey.

LOL. Every time your boy gets blamed for anything you go off on a diatribe accusing Scoopers of calling Wojo the worst coach ever, a child molester and an anti-Semite. It gets tiring, too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:27 PM »
LOL. Every time your boy gets blamed for anything you go off on a diatribe accusing Scoopers of calling Wojo the worst coach ever, a child molester and an anti-Semite. It gets tiring, too.

Plus, Wojo never shoulda unleashed COVID-19 from that Wuhan lab!

Sorry if that’s another “diatribe” to your virgin ears, Tony!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:32 PM »

MU82 : Wojo :: Chicos : Crean ::: Lenny : Buzz.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »

Done much better than my attempt, but yes. Amazing.

Curious though, who was the knight in shining white armor defending Deane??!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2021, 09:34:57 PM »
Except I don’t think Wojo was a good coach. And I’ve also defended Buzz and Crean. But sure.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2021, 09:38:01 PM »
Done much better than my attempt, but yes. Amazing.

Curious though, who was the knight in shining white armor defending Deane??!!
The real challenge is to find a Dukiet defender.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:22 PM »

The man could play a mean Chopsticks!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2021, 11:19:28 PM »

One major difference. I was (and still am) an unabashed fan of Buzz. My defense of him wasn’t loaded with caveats. No “TC was an a$$hole, but, but, but… ala Chico or “I called for Wolo’s firing in year 7, but, but, but…ala Mike. Why be a staunch defender of someone you think was a jerk, an incompetent or both?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2021, 05:17:27 AM »
One major difference. I was (and still am) an unabashed fan of Buzz. My defense of him wasn’t loaded with caveats. No “TC was an a$$hole, but, but, but… ala Chico or “I called for Wolo’s firing in year 7, but, but, but…ala Mike. Why be a staunch defender of someone you think was a jerk, an incompetent or both?

The thread is about Dawson Garcia and it devolved into another thread about Wojo. It is remarkable how much time is spent discussing any former coach in any given thread, not just Wojo.  It’s weird
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2021, 06:18:58 AM »

Willie warrior is known to slurp him

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2021, 06:20:53 AM »
Based on all of this, no way I would recommend UW to my kids to play for Gard.  Thinking this will/should set their program back for a decade at least.

No shot it sets them back a decade.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2021, 06:51:47 AM »
No shot it sets them back a decade.
agreed. Players look like chumps, not Gard.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
The thread is about Dawson Garcia and it devolved into another thread about Wojo. It is remarkable how much time is spent discussing any former coach in any given thread, not just Wojo.  It’s weird

Which of course was my point.

Which obviously means I'm a "staunch defender" of a coach I publicly stated 100 times should have been fired.

Sorry for that "diatribe," Unk!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2021, 07:32:41 AM »
agreed. Players look like chumps, not Gard.

Eh, not really.  It was a private conversation that was thrust into the public eye.  A public that will have moved on to the next story by tomorrow.  If Gard's team does well this year, it will be largely forgotten.  If they struggle, the AD has another reason to fire him.

Long term, it will be used against him for recruiting purposes, but his response is simple. "My players are allowed to speak their minds and I'm willing to listen and change.  What you heard on that tape was edited to make the players, the university, and me look bad.  I think it's better that our players are able to be open in a team meeting, don't you?  That was a private team meeting and someone violated our trust as a team and a family.  The type of conversation that you've heard happens across a lot of division one programs, but the difference is that we're able to have an honest conversation like that so that we can all be on the same page."

Pretty simple explanation that would be enough to convince most recruits and their families.  Hell, if Doug McDermott can still recruit to Creighton without consequence, Greg Gard shouldn't have any problems getting the players he is used to getting.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »
Yeah, recruits and their families are incredibly selfish.  They care about them first.  Negative recruiting works but by and large they want to hear about them not Nate Ruevers.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:57 AM »
Yeah, recruits and their families are incredibly selfish.  They care about them first.  Negative recruiting works but by and large they want to hear about them not Nate Ruevers.

Exactly.  "My kid is different" is how everyone feels about their kid.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
Exactly.  "My kid is different" is how everyone feels about their kid.

Everyone except for me and my kid. We ARE different...and special.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
So…back to Dawson Garcia. Does anyone know what he would stand to make if he chose the G League? I’ve read about Select Contracts at $125k and others at $75k; some say as little as $35k.

Of course Garcia is chasing big dreams with gargantuan money attached to it. But $75k-125k is a lot of money to a 19-yr-old, especially if it holds the promise of getting elevated up the NBA. I’d choose that option if I were him, rather than developing my skills for free and have to take classes, etc.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »

Just curious...if my kid is getting recruited whose interests should we place ahead of hers?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2021, 08:52:35 AM »
So…back to Dawson Garcia. Does anyone know what he would stand to make if he chose the G League? I’ve read about Select Contracts at $125k and others at $75k; some say as little as $35k.

Of course Garcia is chasing big dreams with gargantuan money attached to it. But $75k-125k is a lot of money to a 19-yr-old, especially if it holds the promise of getting elevated up the NBA. I’d choose that option if I were him, rather than developing my skills for free and have to take classes, etc.

The standard G League contract is $35K.
Players invited to be a part of the "G League Select" program - which Dawson has not been and, it's my understanding, cannot be  - get contracts worth $500K.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
And I really doubt that some team is going to give him a two-way contract at this point.

It's his life, but returning to college to work in Shaka's system, increasing his strength and quickness on the defensive end, has to look like a decent option at this point right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow