[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162118 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »

He would get no guaranteed money if he returned to Marquette.

He is guaranteed a chance to get closer to graduating from college,  travel for free, socialize with your peers, have fun and improve your game, probably worth 75K that MU’s picking up.  Not so bad.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »
He is guaranteed a chance to get closer to graduating from college,  travel for free, socialize with your peers, have fun and improve your game, probably worth 75K that MU’s picking up.  Not so bad.

He can improve his game, travel for free, socialize with his peers, and have fun in the G-League too.  And get paid doing so.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
He can improve his game, travel for free, socialize with his peers, and have fun in the G-League too.  And get paid doing so.

And paid what, then if he does not show improvement become another Vander Blue. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2021, 04:13:05 PM »

More than he would be paid had he stayed in college and met a similar fate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

No that's not the bottom line.  Players can improve all sorts of places these days.  College...G-League...Europe...  They should go where they feel the situation is best for them.

Agreed. I selfishly hope for Garcia to come back, but the best move for his future would be to stay in the draft and end up in the G League.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »

You barely make enough money to live on, vs opportunity the following year to make millions as a first round pick??

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
You barely make enough money to live on, vs opportunity the following year to make millions as a first round pick??

That money is for 6-7 months work.  There's other streams of revenue available to these guys during the balance of the year.  Plus their living expense aren't the same as the normal kid starting at Enterprise.  In many ways being in the G League is like going to college except you get to focus 100% on your major and they compensate you for your time invested.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2021, 04:33:15 PM »
Hoping that Dawson and DJ do incredible things at the G League Combine, and  then get an invite to the NBA Combine.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-field-of-40-draft-prospects-for-2021-nba-g-league-elite-camp-in-chicago/

Going down this list, there is no reason that are two MU guys can't be among the top 5 in the camp. They will just have to play hard the whole time .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »

Why are you assuming he’s a guaranteed first round pick if he returns to MU?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
i don't see it this way...see it more as guaranteed money in the first round...and if you're not getting guaranteed money you should think about if your stock will be higher in a year given your expected trajectory.  he can take his shot anytime...unless he feels his stock will never be higher.  i think vander felt that way after the NCAA run...and i think he was likely right...while many criticized him and he hasn't made it...i don't think another year at MU was going to get him into the first round.

i don't feel that way about garcia at this point.   is trying to make the nba from the g league easier than doing so from MU?  if he turns out not to be NBA material, is he likely to make more money overseas coming from MU or from the g league?  those are the two questions i'd be asking myself if i wasn't looking at very probable guarunteed money in the nba.

I'm talking about how recent history has actually happened, not how any of us think it should have happened. More players declaring and staying in regardless of draft predictions. I think we're to the point where if a guy is on top-100 lists, they're probably gone, no matter what we may think.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2021, 04:50:52 PM »
Agreed. I selfishly hope for Garcia to come back, but the best move for his future would be to stay in the draft and end up in the G League.

It’s an alternative move not definitively the best move.  Whatever path he chooses hopefully it works out for him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Not if Scoop has any say--

Rocky, can we use the Scoop profits to pay Dawson under the table?

I mean, if NIL is on the table, "MUScoop presented by Dawson Garcia" is plausible.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2021, 05:38:58 PM »
Why are you assuming he’s a guaranteed first round pick if he returns to MU?

As Al said the biggest improvement of a player is from his freshman to sophomore year.  Can he be a first round pick, maybe, maybe not.  Time will tell. But I know one thing, I do not believe he will be drafted in either round this year

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2021, 05:59:04 PM »
Not if Scoop has any say--

Rocky, can we use the Scoop profits to pay Dawson under the table?

I thought that’s why we had the Underboard.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2021, 06:28:36 PM »
I was curious so here's what happened with each of the NCAA Freshman who were invited to the combine the last 2 years.
44 Total Invites.
31 Drafted
8 GLeague
5 Back to NCAA

2019   Pick #
RJ Barrett   2
Charles Bassey   NCAA
Bol Bol   44
Ignas Brazdeikis   47
Moses Brown   Gleague 2way
Luguentz Dort   Gleague 2way
Devon Dotson   Gleague 2way
Darius Garland   5
Quentin Grimes   NCAA
Jaxson Hayes   8
Tyler Herro   13
Jaylen Hoard   Gleague 2way
Talen Horton Tucker   46
Keldon Johnson   29
Louis King   Gleague 2way
Romeo Langford   14
Nassir Little   25
Kevin Porter Jr   30
Neemias Queta   NCAA
Cam Reddish   10
Naz Reid   Gleague 2way
Simi craptu   Gleague
Coby White   7
Zion Williamson   1

Since there seems to be some question about which way makes the most money.  I see 3 undrafted undrafted players from 2019 that signed 2-way contracts who have since signed deals approaching that of Henry's (a first round pick) lifetime earnings.  Brown, Dort, and Reid all left college with eligibility remaining, all went undrafted, and all found their way into the league regardless.  Three examples from only one draft class.  I'm sure there are plenty more out there from over the years.  If you get drafted in the first round, your first paycheck may be bigger, but by no means is that the only way to make enough money to be set for life.  DG needs to make the best decision for himself, whatever that decision is, there are numerous routes to making a lot of money.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2021, 06:35:59 PM »

This

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
This

That’s like saying going to St Norberts is the exact same as going to Marquette. Smh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2021, 07:16:51 PM »
Since there seems to be some question about which way makes the most money.  I see 3 undrafted undrafted players from 2019 that signed 2-way contracts who have since signed deals approaching that of Henry's (a first round pick) lifetime earnings.  Brown, Dort, and Reid all left college with eligibility remaining, all went undrafted, and all found their way into the league regardless.  Three examples from only one draft class.  I'm sure there are plenty more out there from over the years.  If you get drafted in the first round, your first paycheck may be bigger, but by no means is that the only way to make enough money to be set for life.  DG needs to make the best decision for himself, whatever that decision is, there are numerous routes to making a lot of money.
True, but the sample size gets very small compared to all the wannabees.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »

Marquette degree, a few yrs of minor league ball, maybe…maybe, nba.  No worries. Degree earned. No college loans.
Or, 1yr at Marquette. No degree. A few years of minor league ball. If no nba, then what? Be an undrafted g-league washout in Euro?

Take the $200k Marquette education, then let it ride.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2021, 07:25:33 PM »
Marquette degree, a few yrs of minor league ball, maybe…maybe, nba.  No worries. Degree earned. No college loans.
Or, 1yr at Marquette. No degree. A few years of minor league ball. If no nba, then what? Be an undrafted g-league washout in Euro?

Take the $200k Marquette education, then let it ride.

Spoken like a man with no NBA abilities.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2021, 07:52:39 PM »
Spoken like a man with no NBA abilities.

And no knowledge that players get to return to school on scholarship to get their degrees if they leave early.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
That’s like saying going to St Norberts is the exact same as going to Marquette. Smh
Or like playing in the minor league vs going to college...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2021, 08:11:16 PM »
So if you go to the g league you are less likely to get a contract in the nba?

Garcia will improve his game better at MU then in the g league?

Access to NBA scouts is better at MU then the g league?

An MU degree is worth more than g league $$$ for someone who likely doesn't need it as he'll play professionally until he's 35-40?

If, for some reason, he's unable to play professionally...he can't get a college degree?

I wonder what it is worth to be able to focus on basketball 24/7 while your competition has to worry about class and studying.  Pro's and con's to both options. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:21:39 PM by avid1010 »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2021, 09:43:56 PM »

I think the investment teams are making in their G league assets are night and day from when Vander entered the league. More teams have their own affiliates too. In this era, teams need these developments to have a shot to refill the end of their rotations amidst the max contracts.

feedback