collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated  (Read 33984 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »
There is nothing discourteous about not wearing a mask when it isn’t required of me.

this.

I still always keep a mask with me. If a person wants me to wear a mask in their business or home then that is their decision and I abide by it. If a person demands I wear a mask when I'm out running, biking, or walking on the sidewalk, then they need to get over themselves.

My building had a rooftop gathering on Sunday, No masks and the couple in our building who has not been vaccinated yet did not attend. They told us this ahead of time and did not demand we wear masks to accommodate them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2021, 02:12:59 PM »
I'm sorry you can't explain it.

Way I see it is this:

1) Your mask protects me, my mask protects you. This has been the foundation of mask wearing since the beginning.

2a) The CDC's new guidance is ham-handed, and while the science points to unmasking as shifting the risk/burden to the unvaccinated (as it should be), in practice it still results in an 'honor system'. In theory, this only hurts the unvaccinated.

2b) However, we know in reality that many of our societal benefits elude and societal burdens compound in minority or lower socioeconomic parts of our society. This includes higher percentages of comorbidities, multi-generational homes (Inc those where immune systems may be weakest/vaccine efficacy lowest). Also, children who are unvaccinated, and that honor system threatens children of all socioeconomic classes EVEN if mortality rates are low. Low risk does not equal no risk, and I think you'll find parents' risk tolerance is lower for their children than themselves.

2c) Those communities also have received lower allotments of vaccines and have a history of vaccine hesitancy because of government and corporate misdeeds of the past.

2d) Those individuals represent a disproportionate percentage of workers in retail, groceries, or other service jobs. While the tide has shifted and labor markets have tightened a bit because workers have a bit more power, IN GENERAL these workers do not have real economic power and cannot just refuse to work or push for more airtight protections.

*** sidebar:
This is what the states stripping additional unemployment rights are trying to undo - stripping away the most tangible power and upward wage pressure your average non-union worker has held in decades.

3. Given those workers don't have power to control their working conditions or the luxury of refusing to work, and given there are real macro issues in our welfare, Healthcare, et all systems that put many of those individuals (or their families, unvaccinated children, etc) at disproportionate risk, I can imagine that me advertising that I am considerate of their circumstances - if any, or whatever they might be - might put them at ease. This would be just as true if I chose not to be vaccinated.

Addendum: it's a goddamn piece of cloth; why is this so hard for us?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2021, 02:46:52 PM »
Way I see it is this:

1) Your mask protects me, my mask protects you. This has been the foundation of mask wearing since the beginning.

2a) The CDC's new guidance is ham-handed, and while the science points to unmasking as shifting the risk/burden to the unvaccinated (as it should be), in practice it still results in an 'honor system'. In theory, this only hurts the unvaccinated.

2b) However, we know in reality that many of our societal benefits elude and societal burdens compound in minority or lower socioeconomic parts of our society. This includes higher percentages of comorbidities, multi-generational homes (Inc those where immune systems may be weakest/vaccine efficacy lowest). Also, children who are unvaccinated, and that honor system threatens children of all socioeconomic classes EVEN if mortality rates are low. Low risk does not equal no risk, and I think you'll find parents' risk tolerance is lower for their children than themselves.

2c) Those communities also have received lower allotments of vaccines and have a history of vaccine hesitancy because of government and corporate misdeeds of the past.

2d) Those individuals represent a disproportionate percentage of workers in retail, groceries, or other service jobs. While the tide has shifted and labor markets have tightened a bit because workers have a bit more power, IN GENERAL these workers do not have real economic power and cannot just refuse to work or push for more airtight protections.

*** sidebar:
This is what the states stripping additional unemployment rights are trying to undo - stripping away the most tangible power and upward wage pressure your average non-union worker has held in decades.

3. Given those workers don't have power to control their working conditions or the luxury of refusing to work, and given there are real macro issues in our welfare, Healthcare, et all systems that put many of those individuals (or their families, unvaccinated children, etc) at disproportionate risk, I can imagine that me advertising that I am considerate of their circumstances - if any, or whatever they might be - might put them at ease. This would be just as true if I chose not to be vaccinated.

Addendum: it's a goddamn piece of cloth; why is this so hard for us?

But I am fully vaccinated so the possibility of me getting anyone sick in a store situation is almost zero. 

I just don't understand why the "follow the science" crowd is no longer following the science. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »
I don't think he's suggesting that not wearing a mask is discourteous. He just considers is a courtesy to others who may feel anxiety around those who are maskless. You're free to choose differently.
FWIW, defining what is and isn't courteous by "what is required" is odd. You're not required to hold the door open for others, or say "please" and "thank you," either. It's still courteous, though.

Well I agree with your second point.  I have no idea why mask wearing is even in the same discussion though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
GB Warrior, I’m going to disagree a bit. The vaccine is available to virtually all who want it.

The vast majority of those who are not vaccinated have made the choice to not get the shots. The reason is simple - politics.

Look at a state-by-state vaccination rate and this is glaringly obvious. Blue states are at the top of the list; red states are at the bottom. Just a simple fact.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
I just don't understand why the "follow the science" crowd is no longer following the science.

I don't think they're saying that they continue to wear a mask because they're concerned with spreading the virus, post-vaccination. They're wearing it to reduce potential anxiety in others, who have no idea whether they're vaccinated or not.
And I don't think they're suggesting everyone must follow suit or are critical of those who don't. It's a personal choice they're making to reduce potential discomfort in others.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »
GB Warrior, I’m going to disagree a bit. The vaccine is available to virtually all who want it.

The vast majority of those who are not vaccinated have made the choice to not get the shots. The reason is simple - politics.

Look at a state-by-state vaccination rate and this is glaringly obvious. Blue states are at the top of the list; red states are at the bottom. Just a simple fact.

There are a lot of people with political motivations to be sure, but there are plenty of anti-vaxxers out there whose reasoning isn't political.
Even before COVID, 11% of Americans said vaccines are more dangerous than the diseases they prevent.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2020-01-14/survey-fewer-people-now-support-vaccinating-their-kids-than-in-2001

tower912

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »

But I am fully vaccinated so the possibility of me getting anyone sick in a store situation is almost zero. 

Because employees are still going to have to wear masks in some places.  Because my 14 year old only has one shot on board.   Because I don't want to be the .1% who might pass it along even though I have had it and had two shots.    I have already infected one family member, it costs me nothing to take appropriate steps for a few more weeks to avoid doing it again.   My personal need to mask will end in my mind on June 23, when my 14 year old is 14 days past his second shot.   

But honestly, I have never felt it to be a burden.    And I am probably going to be one of those employees required to wear a mask whenever we go on an alarm through the end of the year.     So, to me, it is being courteous to others to wear the mask until all are able to cast it aside.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »

Because employees are still going to have to wear masks in some places.  Because my 14 year old only has one shot on board.   Because I don't want to be the .1% who might pass it along even though I have had it and had two shots.    I have already infected one family member, it costs me nothing to take appropriate steps for a few more weeks to avoid doing it again.   My personal need to mask will end in my mind on June 23, when my 14 year old is 14 days past his second shot.   

But honestly, I have never felt it to be a burden.    And I am probably going to be one of those employees required to wear a mask whenever we go on an alarm through the end of the year.     So, to me, it is being courteous to others to wear the mask until all are able to cast it aside.   

Cool.  So it's your choice.  It's not "common courtesy."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2021, 04:27:31 PM »
I fully respect someone's right to wear a mask. I also expect them to respect my right not to as a fully vaccinated person in full compliance with CDC guidelines. That pretty much ends it for me. Life is better when it's simple.

Now how 'bout dem Warriors?!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »

Tough loss to the Grizz.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2021, 04:49:21 PM »
There are a lot of people with political motivations to be sure, but there are plenty of anti-vaxxers out there whose reasoning isn't political.
Even before COVID, 11% of Americans said vaccines are more dangerous than the diseases they prevent.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2020-01-14/survey-fewer-people-now-support-vaccinating-their-kids-than-in-2001

Of course. But the majority of refusers are for political reasons.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing, but just looking at 2 different reasons.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #288 on: May 25, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »

Cool.  So it's your choice.  It's not "common courtesy."

it's a choice, but the wrong one if you run into any individual who disagrees with you, then you are expected to adhere to "common courtesy" as that person defines it.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 25, 2021, 04:53:17 PM »
it's a choice, but the wrong one if you run into any individual who disagrees with you, then you are expected to adhere to "common courtesy" as that person defines it.

Right. “Common courtesy” implies a societal norm. But this is most definitely not that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
Of course. But the majority of refusers are for political reasons.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing, but just looking at 2 different reasons.

Interestingly, the biggest current difference is socioeconomic class which occurs across every other demographic.

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1396808622349324290?s=19

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 25, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
Interestingly, the biggest current difference is socioeconomic class which occurs across every other demographic.

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1396808622349324290?s=19

You just added a 3rd reason.

This is the problem with chat boards. Making a point makes it seem like you are discounting other points of view, when, in reality, you are just adding to a discussion - not contradicting it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
I fully respect someone's right to wear a mask. I also expect them to respect my right not to as a fully vaccinated person in full compliance with CDC guidelines. That pretty much ends it for me. Life is better when it's simple.

Ultimate Warriors

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2021, 09:46:47 PM »
Right. “Common courtesy” implies a societal norm. But this is most definitely not that.

Right!  But my original post (which your argued against), I was talking about "common courtesy" depending on where I was.  Seems like you just want to either argue, or not follow "common courtesy"

my post:
Because it means people are being respectful of the comfort level of those around them?

I travel quite a bit even after the new guidance, and in some places most people are still wearing masks.  In others not many are (I assume they are vaccinated).  I follow the crowd - it's not that hard for me to mask up - and when in Rome....

your reply:

How is it being "respectful of the comfort level for those around them?"  If the vaccinated who are asymptomatic don't spread the disease, it's just a false sense of comfort.

Sorry but if masks aren't required by the place of business, then I am not wearing them given my vaccination status.  It has nothing to do with disrespecting someone else or making them feel less comfortable.

Listen, I don't care what people do.  I'm not arguing you should do what I do.  You just want to call people out because they don't follow your personal rules.  And that's not very courteous.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 25, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Wearing a mask after vaccination is like a male wearing a condom, when with his wife, after a vasectomy, hey?

My 7 and 4 year olds will be wearing masks for the foreseeable future. If they have to, I will continue to be a good example and follow suit.

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:43 AM »
Listen, I don't care what people do.  I'm not arguing you should do what I do.  You just want to call people out because they don't follow your personal rules. 

False.  I am not arguing you should do what I do either.  I am arguing that tower's initial description of wearing masks when it is not required of me is "common courtesy."  It is not.  It is a personal choice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 26, 2021, 09:00:58 AM »
Pretty good little synopsis (IMHO) by the NYT's David Leonhardt:

For unvaccinated adults indoors or in close conversation outdoors, the costs of a mask are vastly lower than the risks from Covid. But the trade-offs are different in most outdoor settings, and they are different for children. The Covid risks for children are similar to those from a normal flu.

There does not appear to be much scientific reason that campers and counselors, or most other people, should wear a mask outdoors all summer. Telling them to do so is an example of extreme caution — like staying out of the ocean to avoid sharks — that seems to have a greater cost than benefit.

The C.D.C., as I’ve written before, is an agency full of dedicated people trying their best to keep Americans healthy. Walensky, a widely admired infectious-diseases expert, is one of them. Yet more than once during this pandemic, C.D.C. officials have acted as if extreme caution has no downsides.

Everything has downsides. And it is the job of scientific experts and public-health officials to help the rest of us think clearly about the benefits and costs of our choices.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2021, 02:47:11 PM »

False.  I am not arguing you should do what I do either.  I am arguing that tower's initial description of wearing masks when it is not required of me is "common courtesy."  It is not.  It is a personal choice........that is courteous

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 26, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »
Pretty good little synopsis (IMHO) by the NYT's David Leonhardt:

For unvaccinated adults indoors or in close conversation outdoors, the costs of a mask are vastly lower than the risks from Covid. But the trade-offs are different in most outdoor settings, and they are different for children. The Covid risks for children are similar to those from a normal flu.

There does not appear to be much scientific reason that campers and counselors, or most other people, should wear a mask outdoors all summer. Telling them to do so is an example of extreme caution — like staying out of the ocean to avoid sharks — that seems to have a greater cost than benefit.

The C.D.C., as I’ve written before, is an agency full of dedicated people trying their best to keep Americans healthy. Walensky, a widely admired infectious-diseases expert, is one of them. Yet more than once during this pandemic, C.D.C. officials have acted as if extreme caution has no downsides.

Everything has downsides. And it is the job of scientific experts and public-health officials to help the rest of us think clearly about the benefits and costs of our choices.

I agree with you on the CDC. Yes, they are too cautious. No, they aren’t going to think outside the box and take chances for that very reason. They are a gov’t agency. They are beholden to Congress. Like most gov’t agencies, they are risk averse.

They really have no choice. If they take any risk and it doesn’t pan out, there will be people in Congress out for blood to try to make themselves look good.

The CDC is full of very smart people, but they all have to tow the line.

When Trump closed the borders, I would guess they all knew what a futile, useless gesture that was. But they are not in a position to challenge the president. If Glow goes nuts over them, think what Bunker Boy would do.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 26, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
What I dislike about any government agency Jockey is when they let their better judgement get unduly swayed by political forces.  I strongly believe that's happened to an extreme over the last 14 months at the CDC, both under the prior and current administrations.  It fosters mistrust among the citizenry, exactly where we are now.  And please let us not get into a back and forth about who's dad can beat the other's up.  Let's agree that's not productive.