[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 50646 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »
You seem awfully convinced that we'll be better in 21-22 than 20-21, is it just some extreme anti Wojo thing?  As it currently stands we have 10 underclassmen (w/ Garcia), so on top of no one playing with any of the Freshman before, and no one playing with OMP, Kolek, or Kur before, every single player will be learning a new system.  You can say that there is more pure basketball talent out there (which is debatable IMO), but I anticipate some extreme growing pains with all the new pieces/new system.

Since I played point guard, I know how important that position is.  I was not a fan of Carton and his playmaking ability. So I am confident that one of the new kids will be better than Carton, athleticism Carton would be in the Top 5 in MU history.  Just was not good with the ball.  Secondly, I think our new center has played enough to be better then Theo, Theo was to mechanical.  If Garcia comes back he should be better as well as Lewis, throw in Prosper and you are long and athletic.  So it comes back to what I said, better point guard play, will make MU better.  Lastly, some of the Big East teams other than Villy will be that much better.  Creighton for sure might be close to the bottom.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2021, 06:00:03 PM »
Need a point guard to tie it together.  Even if Garcia goes pro and Smart only has one scholarship it still has to e a good ,strong  point guard.  I would much prefer that Garcia comes back and Perez goes.  point guard for Perez is a big win.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »
Perez was a Wojo mistake, it happens some times.  With Akanno, Torrence and Perez Shaka cleared 3 Mid-Major players out. End of the bench will be much better, I hope

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »
Perez was a Wojo mistake, it happens some times.  With Akanno, Torrence and Perez Shaka cleared 3 Mid-Major players out. End of the bench will be much better, I hope

People say this, completely forgetting that before he reclassified, Symir was a top 40 recruit. To think the HS guys we have recruited are going to just magically be better than what we have now is just wishful thinking, especially when all we're going off is recruiting rankings, and we don't have any HS recruits as highly regarded as Symir coming in.

Not saying any of those three would be good enough. They definitely aren't. I would just recommend some more caution with expectations from our very young incoming players
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:02:11 PM by Tha Hound »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2021, 07:37:50 PM »
Anybody who thought Torrence was a top 40 kid was not watching the kid I saw the last years. Did not have a jump shot, did have any explosion to the hoop , did not have much.  Go look at Top 50 kids after there senior year, then you can see how scouts make mistakes.  Wojo and Buzz made a ton of mistakes on kids in the Top 100.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2021, 07:43:51 PM »
Anybody who thought Torrence was a top 40 kid was not watching the kid I saw the last years. Did not have a jump shot, did have any explosion to the hoop , did not have much.  Go look at Top 50 kids after there senior year, then you can see how scouts make mistakes.  Wojo and Buzz made a ton of mistakes on kids in the Top 100.

Yeah I'm sure at the time you knew better than all the ranking services, captain hindsight

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »

outside of Torrence and Heldt I don't know if there was a major mistake in Wojo's top 100 guys, it was more the lack of development, poor role players, and transfers. Buzz on the other hand made a ton of mistakes (Jamail, Steve Taylor, Erick Williams, arguably Junior)

Haanif: put up great freshman year numbers and
Solid senior year numbers at Nebraska.

Sam: underrated

Joey: overrated but still clearly a talented player

Bailey: we'll never know.

Henry: a smidge overrated

Markus: accurate for both his year and his reclassifying year.

Justin: Underrated

Garcia: about right

Osa: Too little to know but looked to have good potential albeit skinny against UCLA
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »
outside of Torrence and Heldt I don't know if there was a major mistake in Wojo's top 100 guys, it was more the lack of development, poor role players, and transfers. Buzz on the other hand made a ton of mistakes (Jamail, Steve Taylor, Erick Williams, arguably Junior)

Haanif: put up great freshman year numbers and
Solid senior year numbers at Nebraska.

Sam: underrated

Joey: overrated but still clearly a talented player

Bailey: we'll never know.

Henry: a smidge overrated

Markus: accurate for both his year and his reclassifying year.

Justin: Underrated

Garcia: about right

Osa: Too little to know but looked to have good potential albeit skinny against UCLA
Relative to collegiate play, Henry was the real deal.  17 ppg and 10 rpg as a frosh is huge. Yeah, he is challenged re the NBA.  But, collegiately, he would have had a huge impact over 4 years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
Relative to collegiate play, Henry was the real deal.  17 ppg and 10 rpg as a frosh is huge. Yeah, he is challenged re the NBA.  But, collegiately, he would have had a huge impact over 4 years.

he ranked as high as the 5th best recruit. Not saying he was vastly overrated or anything just that for a stretch 4 ranked that high to be unable to hit the 3 maybe should've been down a few more slots.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2021, 08:20:08 PM »
he ranked as high as the 5th best recruit. Not saying he was vastly overrated or anything just that for a stretch 4 ranked that high to be unable to hit the 3 maybe should've been down a few more slots.
Think he would have had a huge impact.  His 3 point shooting has picked up a lot in the G League.  His issue is that he can’t defend at the NBA level.  He would have been a terrific 4 year guy in college.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »
The ranking system is not perfect. I suspect that the rankings of the 2021 class overall is even more inaccurate due to lack of summer tournaments and somewhat disrupted high school seasons. This could be good or bad for MU as there is as much chance their recruits are underrated or overrated.

I also believe this years freshmen class overall will be less ready to play college ball compared to other years, because their high school careers have been interrupted by covid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2021, 10:58:09 PM »
If Henry stayed all 4 years we would have at least one Final Four. He was an outstanding college level player.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2021, 06:42:59 AM »
If Henry stayed all 4 years we would have at least one Final Four. He was an outstanding college level player.
At least.  ::)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2021, 07:36:33 AM »

Since I played point guard, I know how important that position is.  I was not a fan of Carton and his playmaking ability. So I am confident that one of the new kids will be better than Carton, athleticism Carton would be in the Top 5 in MU history.  Just was not good with the ball.  Secondly, I think our new center has played enough to be better then Theo, Theo was to mechanical.  If Garcia comes back he should be better as well as Lewis, throw in Prosper and you are long and athletic.  So it comes back to what I said, better point guard play, will make MU better.  Lastly, some of the Big East teams other than Villy will be that much better.  Creighton for sure might be close to the bottom.

Well I guess that since you played point guard, you must know.

Seriously though, I disagree with pretty much everything you have said in this thread.  Even if Carton isn't ready for the NBA (Which I do not think he is), I feel extremely confident saying that one of the new guys will not be "better than Carton".

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
Carton was as explosive as any guard MU has ever had.  He would make a spectacular play almost every game going to the hoop. More like a 2 guard, not a point.  Surprisingly did not have a jump shot nor was he consistent on his 3 point shot.  If I were the Bucks I would give him a 2 way contract, worth the risk. Will not be drafted.  The freshman, just do not turn it over.  I still see another point being brought in. Hope I am right, we will see.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
The ranking system is not perfect. I suspect that the rankings of the 2021 class overall is even more inaccurate due to lack of summer tournaments and somewhat disrupted high school seasons. This could be good or bad for MU as there is as much chance their recruits are underrated or overrated.

I also believe this years freshmen class overall will be less ready to play college ball compared to other years, because their high school careers have been interrupted by covid.

Last year's freshmen had to be less ready with no summer practices, weight room sessions and not getting on campus until late September. And for teams like us who had a two week Covid pause once practice started those kids missed a ton of development time. I think that's why freshmen reliant teams such as Duke and Kentucky struggled so bad even with the talent they had,

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2021, 08:31:40 AM »
Well I guess that since you played point guard, you must know.

Only got the easy assists.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »
you just say sh1t...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
you just say sh1t...

To be fair, he didn't say in which Tournament. Maybe we would've got one more win in the 2018 NIT.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »
you just say sh1t...

Obviously we can't know how we'd have done in the tournament but all else the same it's hard to believe we wouldn't have been ridiculously good with a stretch 5 Henry, Sam playing stretch 4, Andrew at PG, Markus at 2 and who ever at 3.

Yes there's only one ball but that's a crazy lineup that would've been there Henry's Junior year and a slight change of Henry 5, Joey 4 Sam 3 Koby & Markus playing combo Guard,  for his 4th.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »
Obviously we can't know how we'd have done in the tournament but all else the same it's hard to believe we wouldn't have been ridiculously good with a stretch 5 Henry, Sam playing stretch 4, Andrew at PG, Markus at 2 and who ever at 3.

Yes there's only one ball but that's a crazy lineup that would've been there Henry's Junior year and a slight change of Henry 5, Joey 4 Sam 3 Koby & Markus playing combo Guard,  for his 4th.

Because that team would have been so amazing defensively?? To be honest, I don't care how much offensive talent would have been on that team, they would not have been very good defensively at all and therefore would not have gone very far in the NCAA tourney.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2021, 01:20:09 PM »
Because that team would have been so amazing defensively?? To be honest, I don't care how much offensive talent would have been on that team, they would not have been very good defensively at all and therefore would not have gone very far in the NCAA tourney.

Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount have joined the chat.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »
Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount have joined the chat.

I'm not sure digging for a 30+ year old reference is the strongest support ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
I'm not sure digging for a 30+ year old reference is the strongest support ;)

Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns have joined the chat. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2021, 01:59:11 PM »

How would Henry have done if Ben Simmons, Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Jalen Brown, Brandon Ingram etc all stayed in school for 4 years?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback