[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How many people connected to you have died from COVID?  (Read 5971 times)

SERocks

• Team Captain
Re: How many people connected to you have died from COVID?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 09:24:33 AM »
I personally know of two who died specifically from Covid.  Without looking into formal numbers, it sure seems like a lot more have died this past year of my client base than in prior years.  That could be a covid thing, or an aging clientele or the fact that death has been in our face so much this past year it just seems like more have died.  I could probably run some kind of database query on it if I was really interested, but I am not.  The sample size would be relatively small overall...but it does seem that there has been a lot more death to me this past year.

As far as sickness goes it seems everyday I hear about someone who had it months ago, but never really discussed it.  The people that I know who have had it run the gamut too of symptoms.  Some are still having symptoms and issues months later, others felt it was equivalent to a common cold and would rather have covid than the flu. 

This is the weirdest virus out there.  Does not seem to be much rhyme or reason with it. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »

I find it difficult to believe that the US undercounted Covid deaths by 330,000.

Same.  Could it have been a contributing factor in people's deaths?  Sure, but not the primary cause of death.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
I personally know of two who died specifically from Covid.  Without looking into formal numbers, it sure seems like a lot more have died this past year of my client base than in prior years.  That could be a covid thing, or an aging clientele or the fact that death has been in our face so much this past year it just seems like more have died.

My wife and I were just talking about this last night.  It *seems* like we know an inordinate number of people, either one or two removed from us, who have passed away this year.  Is that coincidence?  Is it because, as you say, death is more "in our face?"  I don't know, but this last year has sucked on a number of levels. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
A 71-year-old has diabetes. She has it under control through medication and healthy-ish living. She gets COVID-19. She dies.

Health officials would say COVID-19 caused or contributed directly to her death. The diabetes was under control; she could have lived another 10-15-20 years enjoying her grandkids and travel and whatever; and she was in no danger of dying ... until she got COVID-19.

But some would say this should not have counted as a COVID-19 death. "Come on! She had diabetes!"

It's very easy to believe that COVID-19 deaths have been significantly undercounted, and that is indeed what I believe.

But what if they haven't been? What if they actually have been significantly overcounted? What if "only" 300,000 Americans have died of COVID-19? Or "only" 200,000?

Would that be OK to some people, a sign that America's response to COVID-19 has been good?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
Whenever I read something with "diabetes" in it, I automatically "hear" it in the voice of Wilford Brimley.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
One my aunt's last April

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 11:49:21 AM »
Whenever I read something with "diabetes" in it, I automatically "hear" it in the voice of Wilford Brimley.

ONG - I was just running in my head "Do ya have diabetes?  Then ya need......."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:05 AM »

My wife and I were just talking about this last night.  It *seems* like we know an inordinate number of people, either one or two removed from us, who have passed away this year.  Is that coincidence?  Is it because, as you say, death is more "in our face?"  I don't know, but this last year has sucked on a number of levels.

There is no question that deaths went up in 2020. And of course the news was totally focused on it.  That focus remains although I suspect, but cannot confirm, that death rates have dropped, possibly back to or approaching 'normal'. 

There were also news stories I read several months back that both 2018 and 2019 were particularly light flu seasons that had taken far fewer elderly than normal.  So of course a pandemic comes along and 'adjusts' for that in what was dubbed a 'dry tinder' event.  In my view, that's why the 'completely eradicate' crowd overreaches.  Not happening. Not a reasonable goal.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 08:57:13 AM »
Know several who contracted it and a couple of those have become long haulers.

Blessed to say that I don't know anyone personally that died, but I do know a handful of people who were in very rough shape(ICU hospitalization) when going through it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »
At least one Scooper.

Did I miss something?

Really sorry to hear this...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
I can think of three....A distant relative (great aunt of the wife), and a couple relatives of friends. I do also have a relative who has had "long COVID" and is still struggling with symptoms after many months.

I have been incredibly fortunate that most people close to me have taken this very seriously and taken precautions. Not to say that everyone who died wasn't also careful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 03:14:05 PM »
Did I miss something?

Really sorry to hear this...

Big Daddy was in poor health, went to the hospital for a procedure, picked up covid, and died.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
Big Daddy was in poor health, went to the hospital for a procedure, picked up covid, and died.

I intentionally chose not to name any names because I did not see anywhere where that was public information.  I wanted to respect the family's privacy.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 05:16:44 PM »
I intentionally chose not to name any names because I did not see anywhere where that was public information.  I wanted to respect the family's privacy.

Goose shared on the main board.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:33 PM »
Thankfully none.

Most of my extended family (including both of my mid-80s parents) got it in November following my brother's funeral (non-COVID) but thankfully we all did well. Several were asymptomatic and nobody was hospitalized. Honestly, I was probably the worst of us with a high fever for more than a week, exhaustion, cough and a bit of nausea. Not a pleasant 12 days. Quite a few people at work had it too. I had a friend from back home that was really, really sick -- in ICU for weeks -- but made it through.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback