collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 269884 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #4250 on: February 01, 2022, 12:16:43 PM »
Tea leaves starting to read Harbaugh to Minnesota
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4251 on: February 01, 2022, 12:17:03 PM »
"We're going to take the North and never give it back.

Cute.

Packer fans who lived through the Bears decade of NFC Central dominance up until the mid 90s said similar things.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4252 on: February 01, 2022, 12:30:51 PM »
They weren't willing to discuss it at the presser yesterday.  As skeptical as I normally am of Halas Hall, I sort of get this one.  You don't want to say "hey, the GM and the coach have identical contract lengths" and implicitly tie them to each other.  So instead of revealing both, or one and not the other, you just say nothing.

Yeah ... except that it will come out anyway.

Packer fans who lived through the Bears decade of NFC Central dominance up until the mid 90s said similar things.

True ... but eventually the Packers DID take the North and rarely gave it back.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #4253 on: February 01, 2022, 12:37:40 PM »
Yeah ... except that it will come out anyway.

True ... but eventually the Packers DID take the North and rarely gave it back.

The point being that things that may sound "cute" and provincial at the time they are uttered, sometimes come to pass.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #4254 on: February 01, 2022, 12:51:37 PM »
Maurice Drayton was let go.

I read an interesting article the other day, that I would link to if I remember where I read it, that the special teams coach being a turnstile at Green Bay is mostly due to both Thompson and Gutey not prioritizing special teams performance when making personnel decisions.  They brought up the last special teams "star" the Packers had, Jarrett Bush, who was clearly limited as a defensive back. 

So a new coach might run into the same problems.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4255 on: February 01, 2022, 01:05:27 PM »
Maurice Drayton was let go.

I read an interesting article the other day, that I would link to if I remember where I read it, that the special teams coach being a turnstile at Green Bay is mostly due to both Thompson and Gutey not prioritizing special teams performance when making personnel decisions.  They brought up the last special teams "star" the Packers had, Jarrett Bush, who was clearly limited as a defensive back. 

So a new coach might run into the same problems.

If that’s the case, that’s malpractice by the staff and front office.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4256 on: February 01, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »
I was really surprised the Pack didn’t go after Chris Tabor to be their ST coach. He wound up in Carolina, but he consistently had a decent ST unit in Chicago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4257 on: February 01, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
I was really surprised the Pack didn’t go after Chris Tabor to be their ST coach. He wound up in Carolina, but he consistently had a decent ST unit in Chicago.

Was very glad to see that hire for the Panthers. Our ST sucked.

The point being that things that may sound "cute" and provincial at the time they are uttered, sometimes come to pass.

True.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4258 on: February 01, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »
Packers shouldn't aspire to be more than in the top 2/3s in the league in ST. You just need it not to be a liability. Unfortunately, it has been, and it's cost them an NFCC birth and a Super Bowl birth in Rodgers' career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4259 on: February 01, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »
Potentially interesting story developing

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1488613314200494080?s=21

Brian Flores is suing the NFL.  Will be interesting to see the validity of all he is claiming

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4260 on: February 01, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »
So uh, things just got interesting. If those texts are legit, yikes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4261 on: February 01, 2022, 03:15:14 PM »
So uh, things just got interesting. If those texts are legit, yikes.

There is a lot to unpack reading the suit.  I’ll note, it all has to be proven and it may never see a courtroom but this is a double whammy for the league.  Yes, I know the NFL is bulletproof, however…

The Rooney Rule has been a sham for the most part.  It’s unfathomable how a league with as many African-American players as the NFL has such few African-American coaches.  This is a problem. 

The other issue here is the Dolphins stuff inside the lawsuit.  Tampering with free agents and offering bonuses to lose and tank goes against the spirit of competition and given the leagues recent affiliation with gambling, might open a Pandora’s Box questioning the legitimacy of the league.  Unlikely, but some creative minds may disagree.  Ross has been a terrible owner.  The league may have a chance to force him out

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4262 on: February 01, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
There is a lot to unpack reading the suit.  I’ll note, it all has to be proven and it may never see a courtroom but this is a double whammy for the league.  Yes, I know the NFL is bulletproof, however…

The Rooney Rule has been a sham for the most part.  It’s unfathomable how a league with as many African-American players as the NFL has such few African-American coaches.  This is a problem. 

The other issue here is the Dolphins stuff inside the lawsuit.  Tampering with free agents and offering bonuses to lose and tank goes against the spirit of competition and given the leagues recent affiliation with gambling, might open a Pandora’s Box questioning the legitimacy of the league.  Unlikely, but some creative minds may disagree.  Ross has been a terrible owner.  The league may have a chance to force him out

This is well said.

From what I can gather in the 20 minutes since this broke, there’s two separate things going on here. The charge of racism against the Giants/Broncos/Dolphins/NFL, and then the Stephen Ross “stuff”. I’m by no means discounting the former, but in the latter, that could potentially be a league game changer if true. My first thought was if someone in DC wanted to go after the NFL’s antitrust exemption, there’s plenty of ammo out there now.

There is going to be A LOT to unpack here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4263 on: February 01, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »
Brian Flores, meet Colin Kaepernick.

Haven't read the whole thing, but I'm not sure this has much chance of success. The Rooney Rule ain't federal law. Neither are NFL rules against tampering. And unless his has recordings, I suspect there's no evidence Ross offered Flores money to lose.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4264 on: February 01, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »
You guys/gals gotta read this suit, there is some wild stuff in here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4265 on: February 01, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »

Haven't read the whole thing, but I'm not sure this has much chance of success. The Rooney Rule ain't federal law. Neither are NFL rules against tampering. And unless his has recordings, I suspect there's no evidence Ross offered Flores money to lose.

I think you’re probably right.  They filed in SDNY so it’ll have a chance to go to trial.  The NFL owns a day of the week and the sports entertainment landscape.

Still, this is something

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4266 on: February 01, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »

There is a specific reason for that and it goes back to what I said about the team not being serious about wanting to win a SB.

Reports are that they DID talk to Tabor (who clearly was the best guy available), but he was looking for a contract in the $1.5 mil area and GB didn't want to commit that much $$$ to Special Teams.

These decisions have consequences - as we saw just over a week ago.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #4267 on: February 01, 2022, 03:46:10 PM »
Potentially interesting story developing

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1488613314200494080?s=21

Brian Flores is suing the NFL.  Will be interesting to see the validity of all he is claiming

He must be dead serious about this. His coaching career in the NFL is now over.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #4268 on: February 01, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »

I agree and disagree.

I don't like the chances for success as far as criminal liability. Civil liability is a whole 'nother can o' worms, though.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4269 on: February 01, 2022, 03:51:45 PM »
I think you’re probably right.  They filed in SDNY so it’ll have a chance to go to trial.  The NFL owns a day of the week and the sports entertainment landscape.

Still, this is something

If his goal is to embarrass the league ... I'm not really sure that's possible.
If his goal is to walk away with a large settlement ... decent chance.
If his goal is to be an NFL head coach again ... not likely.

Honestly, is there anything new here?
Did anyone think the Rooney rule has been effective?
Did anyone believe there weren't sham interviews to comply with the rule?
Did anyone think Stephen Ross was a good owner (or person)?
Is anyone shocked Ross may have tampered with Deshaun Watson?

FWIW, going to bat for Eric Bienemy probably doesn't help him much. Bienemy's lack of HC opportunities involves more than his race.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4270 on: February 01, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »
You guys/gals gotta read this suit, there is some wild stuff in here.

I think there are very valid questions to ask about the Rooney Rule and the plight of African American head coaches in the league.  Do I think Brian Flores got completely and utterly shafted in Miami?  1000%.  However, I think Ross is probably the worst owner in the league (in terms of actually managing an organization, Snyder close second) and this feels like far less racism, and way more utter incompetency, meddling, and being a dunce.

The Daboll stuff is interesting.  Is it racism?  Or is it just abuse of the Rooney Rule?  Is it one in the same?  I don't know the answer.  This would have been way more meaty if it had happened along with the disastrous Joe Judge hiring.

The Belichick texts are just breathtaking.  Like legitimately how dense can one be

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4271 on: February 01, 2022, 04:06:01 PM »

FWIW, going to bat for Eric Bienemy probably doesn't help him much. Bienemy's lack of HC opportunities involves more than his race.

The issue with the Ross stuff goes beyond tampering.  If it’s proven he offered Flores $100,000 for each loss, that brings the legitimacy of competition into question.  The league has partnered with the gambling industry after eschewing it for nearly a century. 

I’m not stupid enough to think their isn’t a desire by some organizations to tank.  But if the competition is called into question and you’re actively promoting wagering on the games, it better not be illegitimate. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4272 on: February 01, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »
The issue with the Ross stuff goes beyond tampering.  If it’s proven he offered Flores $100,000 for each loss, that brings the legitimacy of competition into question.  The league has partnered with the gambling industry after eschewing it for nearly a century. 

I’m not stupid enough to think their isn’t a desire by some organizations to tank.  But if the competition is called into question and you’re actively promoting wagering on the games, it better not be illegitimate.

How much less will be bet on the upcoming Suoer Bowl because of this lawsuit?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4273 on: February 01, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »

QB in question was not Watson.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4274 on: February 01, 2022, 04:17:42 PM »
How much less will be bet on the upcoming Suoer Bowl because of this lawsuit?

Zero.  It’s open the league or teams to other lawsuits and potential criminal charges if found to be actively throwing games.  It’s akin to point shaving

feedback