[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 268682 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #4050 on: January 25, 2022, 08:55:56 AM »
Because a QB can't develop under a head coach who came from the defensive side of the ball?

No, because clearly the McCaskeys still think it’s the 1980s and think the teams identity should be a gritty defense first, running team.

Nothing coming out is giving me the impression this coaching search is occurring with Fields primarily in mind

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4051 on: January 25, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »
No, because clearly the McCaskeys still think it’s the 1980s and think the teams identity should be a gritty defense first, running team.

Nothing coming out is giving me the impression this coaching search is occurring with Fields primarily in mind

Part of that is just a lack of faith in the ownership right?  Because you very well could hire a guy like Eberflus who has articulated specifically how he would approach the offensive side of the ball, developing Fields, etc. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4052 on: January 25, 2022, 10:10:23 AM »
Jay Glazer reporting that Sean Payton might retire. The Athletic is speculating that he could spend a year in the broadcast booth to re-charge, and then go back to the sideline for a different team in 2023.

I like The Athletic's take. Get him out of the division next season, and then take over for the fired Rhule if the Panthers suck again in 2022. In that scenario, Tepper would make Payton the highest-paid coach in NFL history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4053 on: January 25, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »

Part of that is just a lack of faith in the ownership right?  Because you very well could hire a guy like Eberflus who has articulated specifically how he would approach the offensive side of the ball, developing Fields, etc.

Absolutely.  As Jesu has said, Halas Hall doesn't seem to get the modern NFL, and hiring another older defensive minded coach would just speak to that and a desire to continue the ways that brought "success" in the past, despite having just traded picks for and drafting a young QB who very much embodies the potential of the modern NFL.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #4054 on: January 25, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »

Should it though??? Why should a new regime be built primarily around the QB pick of the old one? Especially, when the old GM (Pace) demonstrated zero ability to evaluate talent at the position and the QB in question has done nothing to indicate he will be even an average starter in the league?

I'm not saying that Fields will be a bust or the Bears should move on from him now. That's a dumb hot take. At the same time, just blaming Matt Nagy for his rookie season or thinking he will be good because he was a highly regarded prospect is not being honest either.

I know the challenges Fields faced as a rookie, but his rookie season was really bad. So many flaws to his game, with durability questions that came up as the season went on. In my eyes, he was a disappointment and my expectations were quite low. I feel too many teams/fans fall into the trap of believing a struggling QB is only a QB whisperer away from greatness. This idea overemphasizes coaching and greatly underappreciates talent.

Again, the Bears have to be honest about Fields. He is an unknown. Yes, there's talent there and without question, I hope he develops. However, having your GM and coach search revolve around an unproven young QB is the real mistake. Fields could be the next Russell Wilson or the next Sam Darnold. No one knows. And, I don't buy the argument that this coaching hire will determine that outcome. In my opinion, that's really up to Justin Fields and his talent.

So, I say hire the coach who you feel is the best coach for your football team, not Justin Fields.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4055 on: January 25, 2022, 12:21:46 PM »

So, I say hire the coach who you feel is the best coach for your football team, not Justin Fields.

I totally understand this mindset, and it's not a bad one, but the truth of that matter is that if Fields doesn't end up being the QB, this coaching hire will not make it until the next QB.   Coaches don't get a chance to struggle for very long, so I think hiring a guy who thinks they can work magic with Justin makes the most sense.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4056 on: January 25, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »
Bears are set to hire Ryan Poles of KC as GM

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1486038074802978816?s=21
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4057 on: January 25, 2022, 12:37:16 PM »

I’m okay with it. I really hope they let him pick his own coach.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4058 on: January 25, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Jim Caldwell is your new Bears head coach.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4059 on: January 25, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »
Should it though??? Why should a new regime be built primarily around the QB pick of the old one? Especially, when the old GM (Pace) demonstrated zero ability to evaluate talent at the position and the QB in question has done nothing to indicate he will be even an average starter in the league?

I'm not saying that Fields will be a bust or the Bears should move on from him now. That's a dumb hot take. At the same time, just blaming Matt Nagy for his rookie season or thinking he will be good because he was a highly regarded prospect is not being honest either.

I know the challenges Fields faced as a rookie, but his rookie season was really bad. So many flaws to his game, with durability questions that came up as the season went on. In my eyes, he was a disappointment and my expectations were quite low. I feel too many teams/fans fall into the trap of believing a struggling QB is only a QB whisperer away from greatness. This idea overemphasizes coaching and greatly underappreciates talent.

I don't get this mindset at all.  You speak to Fields challenges, which IMO are perfectly valid in saying his evaluation is an "Incomplete" for the season, then basically say he was a disappointment and say he has done nothing to show he can be an average starter. 

He was really good in the Pittsburgh game.  He played well for long stretches against the Niners..7 starts into his career.

And durability?  He was top 10 in sacks taken despite only starting 9 full games.  Sure there is some timing and getting rid of the ball there, but he was being bum-rushed constantly.  Joe Burrow got hit a TON his rookie season and then hurt his knee and was out for the year?  Does he have durability concerns? 

Listen I'm not saying Fields is the second coming of Mahomes.  He was really inconsistent and flat out awful at times, but I truly believe its hard to judge it properly when he had an incompetent coach who started to try and coach for his life midway through the year.

But you bring in a coach for your team/talent.  You have a top 10+1 pick at QB from a season ago who showed flashes and who you know has plenty of talent.  To not select a coach who can do something with that, risking having to figure that all out again in 2-3 years, is silly to me.  I'd say the same thing with the Jags picking a coach with Lawrence.

Hopefully it goes better than the last KC organization hire.  But Poles is a rising star and sat in a very good FO for over a decade.  Seems like a win.

• All American
« Reply #4060 on: January 25, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
Jim Caldwell is your new Bears head coach.

Again, I don't think this is a bad move by the Bears at all.  What's more important is who he hires on his staff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4061 on: January 25, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »

Honestly, who they hire as OC and QB coach is going to be far more important to Fields' development.
There are/have been plenty of QBs in recent memory who developed into stars under defensive head coaches, i.e. Tom Brady, Phil Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, etc.
And plenty who flopped under supposed offensive gurus (Trubisky, Darnold, etc.).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4062 on: January 25, 2022, 12:48:22 PM »
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: Sean Payton has informed the #Saints that he’s stepping away.

Does Dennis Allen get a second chance at being a HC?

Edit: A beat reporter down in NOLA says this is a retirement.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:51:45 PM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4063 on: January 25, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
History has been made.    The first former Lions coach to ever get another NFL head coaching gig.     Good for Coach Caldwell. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4064 on: January 25, 2022, 12:55:42 PM »
Sorry, I'm trying to do too many things at once (on hold with an airline for 35 minutes, someone picked up as I was posting, then got put on hold again).

Caldwell as Bears coach, I meant to put "strong opinion", dumb of me not to have included that. I don't have any source or anything like that.

I do believe this will be the case. I have no opinion on Poles/Caldwell, it's the Bears so I just assume it'll end up sucking.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4065 on: January 25, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »
Jay Glazer reporting that Sean Payton might retire. The Athletic is speculating that he could spend a year in the broadcast booth to re-charge, and then go back to the sideline for a different team in 2023.

I like The Athletic's take. Get him out of the division next season, and then take over for the fired Rhule if the Panthers suck again in 2022. In that scenario, Tepper would make Payton the highest-paid coach in NFL history.

You and I have had the discussion about coaching before. Great players make great coaches. Payton knows he is gonna be a .500 coach without a decent QB. It makes sense to step away and then go to as team with a young, talented QB.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4066 on: January 25, 2022, 01:00:02 PM »
Sorry, I'm trying to do too many things at once (on hold with an airline for 35 minutes, someone picked up as I was posting, then got put on hold again).

Caldwell as Bears coach, I meant to put "strong opinion", dumb of me not to have included that. I don't have any source or anything like that.

I do believe this will be the case. I have no opinion on Poles/Caldwell, it's the Bears so I just assume it'll end up sucking.

Pairing a young personnel guy from a successful organization with a 60-year-old veteran head coach not of his choosing has never gone wrong before in Chicago, right?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4067 on: January 25, 2022, 01:25:43 PM »
Pairing a young personnel guy from a successful organization with a 60-year-old veteran head coach not of his choosing has never gone wrong before in Chicago, right?

<Nods strongly in agreement>

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4068 on: January 25, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »
You and I have had the discussion about coaching before. Great players make great coaches. Payton knows he is gonna be a .500 coach without a decent QB. It makes sense to step away and then go to as team with a young, talented QB.

Fair take.

It's hard to get better than Sam Darnold though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4069 on: January 25, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »

That’s probably part of it, but he’s been there since 2006, too.  Sometimes, a recharge and restart is needed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4070 on: January 25, 2022, 02:38:44 PM »
Absolutely.  As Jesu has said, Halas Hall doesn't seem to get the modern NFL, and hiring another older defensive minded coach would just speak to that and a desire to continue the ways that brought "success" in the past, despite having just traded picks for and drafting a young QB who very much embodies the potential of the modern NFL.

I'm loathe to defend Halas Hall, but their previous coaching hire was the quintessential "bright, young offensive mind who understands the modern NFL and can develop a young quarterback."
You couldn't check any more of those boxes with Matt Nagy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:40:23 PM by Pakuni »

• All American
« Reply #4071 on: January 25, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »

jesmu84

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4073 on: January 25, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »
I'm loathe to defend Halas Hall, but their previous coaching hire was the quintessential "bright, young offensive mind who understands the modern NFL and can develop a young quarterback."
You couldn't check any more of those boxes with Matt Nagy.

Sure, it didn't work, but that doesn't mean the whole approach is terrible.  I just don't want an older Lovie Smith 2.0

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4074 on: January 25, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
Sure, it didn't work, but that doesn't mean the whole approach is terrible.  I just don't want an older Lovie Smith 2.0

Hey ... Lovie got them to the Super Bowl.
But I understand your point. Still, it's not as if the Bears have always looked to old defensive guys for coaches.
Also, keep in mind, Caldwell's background is as an offensive coordinator and QB coach. He's not a defensive guy.

feedback