[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270201 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #2850 on: December 13, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »
BTW, I think you are right Jockey that Rodgers will be here the next few years.

First, I don't think Love is impressing anyone.

Second, outside of that pick, Gutey has done an excellent job building this team and LaFleur is a very good coach.  Rodgers isn't dumb.  He knows this.  I think he also knows that if he stays, Devonte signs.

Third, where is he going to go that's going to give him a better chance than Green Bay?  It would need to be in the AFC.  Pittsburgh and Denver are really the only contenders that have questions at QB.  Do either have the draft capital to pull it off?

So both sides have reasons to move and to compromise.

I think we pretty much agree. About Gutey? I am coming around. Some missteps, but generally positive. I didn’t like the LeFluer hire, but my attitude changed after just a couple games. He showed he could coach from day 1. I made fun of Joe Barry Carroll early and obviously I was wrong.

The big issue is the cap. Something like $40 million over. I expect a huge jump so that could take care of a good portion of it. But besides, Rodgers, there’s Alexander, Adams, & Campbell to sign. King is gone, probably the Smith brothers, maybe Turner and Tonyan. Possibly Amos. There’s not a lot left to push down the road. Gonna be some tough decisions - kinda like the Bears had with Fuller.

Lucky for us, we play in a sucky division.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2851 on: December 13, 2021, 06:48:17 PM »
Trade Rodgers to the AFC, Adams will be gone too. Invest in the defense and offensive lines.

Try to get lucky in the draft for a serviceable quarterback, join QB hell with the other 75% of NFL teams.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2852 on: December 13, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »
Trade Rodgers to the AFC, Adams will be gone too. Invest in the defense and offensive lines.

Try to get lucky in the draft for a serviceable quarterback, join QB hell with the other 75% of NFL teams.

The hardest thing to do in the NFL is to find an elite QB. Your solution is to get rid of an elite QB?

I'd rather win.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2853 on: December 13, 2021, 08:56:40 PM »
The hardest thing to do in the NFL is to find an elite QB. Your solution is to get rid of an elite QB?

I'd rather win.

Stafford is showing that having an elite QB depends a lot on the supporting cast and system.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2854 on: December 13, 2021, 09:17:19 PM »
What in the eff does this Monday Night crew actually do? Stafford gets stripped sacked, they ignore it, assume it’s incomplete. Stafford recovers his fumble (no one else bothers to do anything), and advanced his fumble from the point of the strip (not allowed). Clock continues to run.

Totally ignored by broadcast.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2855 on: December 13, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »
Terrible 4th-down call by Kingsbury. Deserves to lose.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2856 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »
Stafford is showing that having an elite QB depends a lot on the supporting cast and system.

So do you think GB is a SB threat with Jordan Love under center? Same supporting cast.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2857 on: December 13, 2021, 09:59:41 PM »

I disagree. Stanford is the same guy he was in Detroit.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2858 on: December 13, 2021, 10:02:27 PM »
So do you think GB is a SB threat with Jordan Love under center? Same supporting cast.

No, I don't think Love is the answer. Rodgers is a special talent. Best in the game right now.

My point is that it isn't as hard to find a great/elite QB as you suggest. Stafford might be the best QB on paper this year...he is far far from the best QB in actuality.

The supporting cast can make good QBs look elite. Right now, Love is not a good QB.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2859 on: December 13, 2021, 10:20:23 PM »
No, I don't think Love is the answer. Rodgers is a special talent. Best in the game right now.

My point is that it isn't as hard to find a great/elite QB as you suggest. Stafford might be the best QB on paper this year...he is far far from the best QB in actuality.

The supporting cast can make good QBs look elite. Right now, Love is not a good QB.

Stanford isn’t the best QB this year - on paper or on the field. He had a higher average QBR the last 5 years in Detroit than he has with the Rams.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2860 on: December 13, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »
Kyler and Kliff krapped the bed at the end of that game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2861 on: December 13, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »

They still play in the NFC North. Minus Rodgers, minus Adams, plus a lot of high picks, keep LeFleur, GB still wins the North most years. What’s the difference between a divisional round loss and an NFC Title game loss at this point for the Packers?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2862 on: December 14, 2021, 06:51:41 AM »
They still play in the NFC North. Minus Rodgers, minus Adams, plus a lot of high picks, keep LeFleur, GB still wins the North most years. What’s the difference between a divisional round loss and an NFC Title game loss at this point for the Packers?
Minus Rodgers (or another top 5 QB), the Packers are pretty much the Bears in a typical year. Bears fans complain about their current offensive line and rightfully so, but have you seen what Rodgers is operating with in front of him? On opening day starter and he is a rookie 4th rounder?

An average QB doesn't make the 3rd down conversion to Lazard, the first TD to Adams, or the TD to Jones. Removing those throws alone that only someone of Rodgers caliber can make makes that game a toss-up. If Love is the QB, erase another half-dozen completions and add-in an interception, and the Bears win as easily as the Packers did with Rodgers.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2863 on: December 14, 2021, 08:15:45 AM »
Minus Rodgers (or another top 5 QB), the Packers are pretty much the Bears in a typical year. Bears fans complain about their current offensive line and rightfully so, but have you seen what Rodgers is operating with in front of him? On opening day starter and he is a rookie 4th rounder?

An average QB doesn't make the 3rd down conversion to Lazard, the first TD to Adams, or the TD to Jones. Removing those throws alone that only someone of Rodgers caliber can make makes that game a toss-up. If Love is the QB, erase another half-dozen completions and add-in an interception, and the Bears win as easily as the Packers did with Rodgers.

Well yeah.  If you take the roster as it is at this moment, remove Rodgers, remove Adams, and add nothing?  Of course the Packers aren't a good football team.  But if you give them an offseason to get the offensive line healthy and give them a number of draft picks, they're still playing in the NFC North.  They've got enough to win the division.  Would they?  Maybe not.  But there's plenty there to win games in the NFC North.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2864 on: December 14, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »
I would rather go all in on Rodgers for as long as you can, and then rebuild with whatever pieces are left when the dust settles.

Instead of comparisons to the Bears, I think comparisons to the Vikings are better.  Kirk Cousins is a good enough quarterback to win you some games and get you to the playoffs, but they aren't ever getting over the hump with him. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2865 on: December 14, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Well yeah.  If you take the roster as it is at this moment, remove Rodgers, remove Adams, and add nothing?  Of course the Packers aren't a good football team.  But if you give them an offseason to get the offensive line healthy and give them a number of draft picks, they're still playing in the NFC North.  They've got enough to win the division.  Would they?  Maybe not.  But there's plenty there to win games in the NFC North.

And, theoretically at least, if you don't pay Rodgers (and Adams?), you have a lot of cap space to improve the rest of the offensive roster around Love. Like you say, maybe it wouldn't be enough ... but maybe it would in that division.

Rodgers is an interesting conundrum for the Packers. He's obviously still among the very best, and he's "worth" a high price. But he's creepin' up on 40, he has clashed with the organization, he's selfish, he's extremely expensive, you drafted his replacement, and you have plenty of other needs.

I'm the kind of guy who says try to win a Super Bowl as long as you have the chance to, so I'd probably do what I could to keep him. But I totally accept that it's not an easy decision for the franchise.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2866 on: December 14, 2021, 08:24:11 AM »
And, theoretically at least, if you don't pay Rodgers (and Adams?), you have a lot of cap space to improve the rest of the offensive roster around Love. Like you say, maybe it wouldn't be enough ... but maybe it would in that division.

Rodgers is an interesting conundrum for the Packers. He's obviously still among the very best, and he's "worth" a high price. But he's creepin' up on 40, he has clashed with the organization, he's selfish, he's extremely expensive, you drafted his replacement, and you have plenty of other needs.

I'm the kind of guy who says try to win a Super Bowl as long as you have the chance to, so I'd probably do what I could to keep him. But I totally accept that it's not an easy decision for the franchise.

Trade him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2867 on: December 14, 2021, 09:27:31 AM »
I would rather go all in on Rodgers for as long as you can, and then rebuild with whatever pieces are left when the dust settles.

Instead of comparisons to the Bears, I think comparisons to the Vikings are better.  Kirk Cousins is a good enough quarterback to win you some games and get you to the playoffs, but they aren't ever getting over the hump with him.

Or Stafford. Even with the League’s best defense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2868 on: December 14, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
Trade him

Wouldn't bother me or please me, but I'm not a Packers fan.

If you don't want Rodgers to leave after 2022 with you getting nothing in return, and if you want to see if Love can actually play before you have to commit longer-term to him, trading Rodgers to the highest bidder makes a lot of sense.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2869 on: December 14, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
I’m still of the belief that id be surprised if Rodgers isn’t on the Packers next year. I think he was trying to use all his bullets to get the Packers to restructure his deal to the point they couldn’t get rid of him. I think he thought more people would take his side and that the Packers might bend.

With the year he is having, he may have a little bit of leverage again. As others have said, I’m not sure where he goes with a better chance at than Green Bay.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2870 on: December 14, 2021, 10:26:34 AM »
Wouldn't bother me or please me, but I'm not a Packers fan.

If you don't want Rodgers to leave after 2022 with you getting nothing in return, and if you want to see if Love can actually play before you have to commit longer-term to him, trading Rodgers to the highest bidder makes a lot of sense.

The roster will get hit hard if they keep him.  He’s not taking the minimum to stick around and they can’t kick his contract down the road.  This is the year to make the move and get the maximum return.

The idea there won’t be teams that will want him isn’t reality.  Losing Davante will be a sting as well but overpaying wideouts at his age is stupid money anyway

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2871 on: December 14, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
The roster will get hit hard if they keep him.  He’s not taking the minimum to stick around and they can’t kick his contract down the road.  This is the year to make the move and get the maximum return.

The idea there won’t be teams that will want him isn’t reality.  Losing Davante will be a sting as well but overpaying wideouts at his age is stupid money anyway
A contract can always be restructured .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2872 on: December 14, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
A contract can always be restructured .

He’s a $20 million cap hit next year if he takes the minimum.  He’s not taking the minimum.  If he doesn’t sign an extension, it’s $46 million.  They can’t kick the can down the road because any extension will count against 2022 as well.

The extra cap space coming in 2022 has already been spent on restructures for 2021.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2873 on: December 14, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
The Packers are all-in for 2021.  It’s what Rodgers wanted, it’s what fans wanted.  He didn’t call it the last dance for any other reason.

They can bring him back but he isn’t coming back on the minimum.  Extending him costs them Adams, the Smiths and a slew of other veterans if they want to keep Alexander.

It’s Super Bowl or bust this year

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2874 on: December 14, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
At least Rodgers is honest, if nothing else

feedback