collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 269880 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #2825 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:29 AM »
Bears fans have to hope the comparisons to early Russell Wilson are correct.

Right now, Fields doesn't look very accurate as a passer, but he can make a lot happen with his legs to make up for that. However, a QB that runs a lot tends to get pretty beat up within a few years; RG3 comes to mind, though he was slighter than Fields, but even a guy built like Cam eventually paid the price for all those hits.

But, Wilson become considerably more accurate as he got more experience, and he was one of the few QBs I can remember that lasted as a threat as a runner, so that would be a good blueprint to follow.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2826 on: December 13, 2021, 09:33:51 AM »

Right now, Fields doesn't look very accurate as a passer, but he can make a lot happen with his legs to make up for that. However, a QB that runs a lot tends to get pretty beat up within a few years; RG3 comes to mind, though he was slighter than Fields, but even a guy built like Cam eventually paid the price for all those hits.

But, Wilson become considerably more accurate as he got more experience, and he was one of the few QBs I can remember that lasted as a threat as a runner, so that would be a good blueprint to follow.

Fields also plays behind a terrible offensive line and has garbage WRs for the most part.

His best attributes as a passer are when they use rollouts and play action.  Nagy has criminally underused those.  Fields best games were when Lazor was calling plays.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2827 on: December 13, 2021, 09:34:53 AM »
Long returns allowed. Errant kickoffs. Muffed kickoffs, punts and onside kicks. Shanked punts. Essentially everything that could go wrong on special teams did, and the Packers still won by 15.

There is no way they win against a playoff opponent if the STs play like that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2828 on: December 13, 2021, 09:37:26 AM »
Long returns allowed. Errant kickoffs. Muffed kickoffs, punts and onside kicks. Shanked punts. Essentially everything that could go wrong on special teams did, and the Packers still won by 15.

There is no way they win against a playoff opponent if the STs play like that.

No blocked punts and no errant PATs or FGs! Give the coach an extension.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2829 on: December 13, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »

I don't see any comparison between the two except one was very good and one was quite bad.

Wilson had a QBR of 73 as a rookie. Fields has a QBR of 27.

Wilson had 26 TD / 6 Int.
Fields has 6 TD / 10 Int.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2830 on: December 13, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
I am not a fan of Rex Ryan, but this is good.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1470389339435773955?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2831 on: December 13, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »
Also funny, I used to be the blind Chicago hater for ragging on Jay Cutler. Now if I compare the Bears quarterback to him it’s like I kicked dirt on Al McGuire’s grave around here. Weird how that happens.

Cause you routinely made dumb  ;D ;D comments about Cutler and made him out to be a joke of a QB.  Posting the Charles Woodson quote on repeat.  Bears fans here were reasonable. Cutler had many flaws, but he was never as horrific as the press or other people made him out to be.  And his tenure in Chicago was rife with deterrents that were out of his control.

But no Bears fan thought he was a superstar messiah that you aspire to in a QB.  So to compare a young promising first round QB to him, less than a full season into his career, you know exactly what you're doing, and its dumb.  But not entirely surprising.

I think Wilson's best ability with running is knowing when to use it.  He can get upfield with the best of them, but still looks to make throws even when the pocket breaks down or he is flushed.  Fields had some of the same mentality in college and has shown it as times as a Bear.  Fingers crossed.

I don't see any comparison between the two except one was very good and one was quite bad.

Wilson had a QBR of 73 as a rookie. Fields has a QBR of 27.

Wilson had 26 TD / 6 Int.
Fields has 6 TD / 10 Int.

Cause their team and personnel situations were TOTALLY the same and aligned to make a direct comparison.

Wilson, as a rookie, had a Pro Bowl LT in Okung and a Pro Bowl center in Unger.  He had a prime Marshawn Lynch.  And the Seahawks had the beginning of the Legion of Boom which was one of the best defenses of the modern era and gave them a huge point differential.  Also, an accomplished coach that knew what he was doing.  Wilson was throwing less than 25 times a game most of the time and not running for his life like Fields has to. Fields was sacked more in his first start than Wilson was in his first 5 total.

I'm not saying Fields will ever become even half of Wilson, but doing a postmortem on his career prospects right now is just baffling.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2832 on: December 13, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
Cause you routinely made dumb  ;D ;D comments about Cutler and made him out to be a joke of a QB.  Posting the Charles Woodson quote on repeat.  Bears fans here were reasonable. Cutler had many flaws, but he was never as horrific as the press or other people made him out to be.  And his tenure in Chicago was rife with deterrents that were out of his control.

But no Bears fan thought he was a superstar messiah that you aspire to in a QB.  So to compare a young promising first round QB to him, less than a full season into his career, you know exactly what you're doing, and its dumb.  But not entirely surprising.

I think Wilson's best ability with running is knowing when to use it.  He can get upfield with the best of them, but still looks to make throws even when the pocket breaks down or he is flushed.  Fields had some of the same mentality in college and has shown it as times as a Bear.  Fingers crossed.

Cause their team and personnel situations were TOTALLY the same and aligned to make a direct comparison.

Wilson, as a rookie, had a Pro Bowl LT in Okung and a Pro Bowl center in Unger.  He had a prime Marshawn Lynch.  And the Seahawks had the beginning of the Legion of Boom which was one of the best defenses of the modern era and gave them a huge point differential.  Also, an accomplished coach that knew what he was doing.  Wilson was throwing less than 25 times a game most of the time and not running for his life like Fields has to. Fields was sacked more in his first start than Wilson was in his first 5 total.

I'm not saying Fields will ever become even half of Wilson, but doing a postmortem on his career prospects right now is just baffling.

Part of it is history.  The Bears haven’t developed QBs and OSU QBs have busted.  It’s hard to get past priors. 

• All American
« Reply #2833 on: December 13, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
Objectively, Justin Fields is one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.  Right up there with Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence.  The common thread is of course they are all rookies who have little around them to prop them up unlike Mac Jones.

This is why bringing back Nagy never made sense to me.  You already know the guy can't develop quarterbacks.  Why would you give him another chance?  And now he will likely be learning his second system in as many years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2834 on: December 13, 2021, 11:50:30 AM »
Part of it is history.  The Bears haven’t developed QBs and OSU QBs have busted.  It’s hard to get past priors.
As a Bear fan, I agree with this. More importantly, the heart of the Bear's issues is ownership so I have low expectations until that changes. Luckily, it looks like the ownership will be changing in the not to distant future.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2835 on: December 13, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
I expect to get turnovers when Fields is the QB - just like Jay.

I realize it’s not an apples to apples comparison as Fields is a rookie and Jay was a veteran. But if I were a Bears fan, I would be worried about him learning to read defenses. Didn’t have to do it much at tOSU.

Way too early to make that assessment. I'm not as concerned about Justin as I am the rest of our roster being pretty bad.
That said, I compare Aaron Rodgers to Jim Kelly, in that I expect Aaron Rodgers to lose when it counts most - just like Jim.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2836 on: December 13, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »

Way too early to make that assessment. I'm not as concerned about Justin as I am the rest of our roster being pretty bad.
That said, I compare Aaron Rodgers to Jim Kelly, in that I expect Aaron Rodgers to lose when it counts most - just like Jim.
AR is getting that reputation but is a great talent.

So, was that AR's last game against the Bears? Or, at least in a GB uniform? I know he wants out of GB and I'd be OK with not seeing him again.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2837 on: December 13, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »

Fair enough.  Guess we'll see.  When I was making those "dumb" comments about Cutler, Bears fans came with their pitchforks.  5 years later, it looks like those same Bears fans now view Jay much closer to how I viewed him 5 years ago than to how they viewed him 5 years ago, if calling Fields "Cutler 2.0" is so blasphemous and offensive.

Guess we'll see if I was as accurate about Fields in 5 years as I apparently was about Cutler.  Hopefully for Bears fans' sake, I'm not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2838 on: December 13, 2021, 12:39:16 PM »
AR is getting that reputation but is a great talent.

So, was that AR's last game against the Bears? Or, at least in a GB uniform? I know he wants out of GB and I'd be OK with not seeing him again.

He’s on the first thing smoking out of GB after the lose in the playoffs

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2839 on: December 13, 2021, 01:10:16 PM »

Agree with this. And I think RGIII comps aren't necessarily a bad thing.  He was smaller and was always going to have a little more difficult time absorbing punishment, but I think there's no reason his career couldn't have gone differently if Shanahan hadn't singlehandedly ended his career with coaching malpractice.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2840 on: December 13, 2021, 01:18:37 PM »
Agree with this. And I think RGIII comps aren't necessarily a bad thing.  He was smaller and was always going to have a little more difficult time absorbing punishment, but I think there's no reason his career couldn't have gone differently if Shanahan hadn't singlehandedly ended his career with coaching malpractice.

Every once in a while RGIII pops up in the news and I think back about what wildly terrible choices went into playing him at the end of that season, on a bad knee, on a bad field, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Just fantastic 1970s rub some dirt on it energy. Incredible.

Same kind of thing that makes me suggest Rodgers just cut off his pinky toe, cauterize the stump, and stop worrying about it... but I'm a meathead on a message board and not, you know, an NFL head coach or medical staff.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2841 on: December 13, 2021, 01:19:12 PM »
He’s on the first thing smoking out of GB after the lose in the playoffs

Not likely unless he wants to leave. Love is worse than Fields. If AR leaves, they are a .500 team at best.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2842 on: December 13, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Not likely unless he wants to leave. Love is worse than Fields. If AR leaves, they are a .500 team at best.

He wants out

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2843 on: December 13, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
No offense but the American sports public was hammered for like 4-5 month about AR wanting out and doing a little as possible getting ready for the season. I feel like more Americans know about AR wanting out of GB than who know who the president is.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2844 on: December 13, 2021, 02:23:45 PM »
He wants out

Almost everyone here said he was gone last summer. I said he would be on the field. You all were wrong then and I would say the odds favor you being wrong again.

I think the only way he might leave is if Hackett and Adams are both gone. 

If he goes, the Packers become the Bears - a team flailingly looking for a QB. Love is not the answer.

• All American
« Reply #2845 on: December 13, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
Love is not the answer.

England Dan and John Ford Coley disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QZjJU-mtFU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2846 on: December 13, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »
Almost everyone here said he was gone last summer. I said he would be on the field. You all were wrong then and I would say the odds favor you being wrong again.

If he goes, the Packers become the Bears - a team flailingly looking for a QB. Love is not the answer.
I think you are confusing two separate issues. Does AR want out? and Will the Packers let him out? Many people/'experts' agreed with you that AR would be a Packer this year.

As for AR wanting out; I think that was answered definitively last summer and AR did nothing to end that speculation.

• All American
« Reply #2847 on: December 13, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »
BTW, I think you are right Jockey that Rodgers will be here the next few years.

First, I don't think Love is impressing anyone.

Second, outside of that pick, Gutey has done an excellent job building this team and LaFleur is a very good coach.  Rodgers isn't dumb.  He knows this.  I think he also knows that if he stays, Devonte signs.

Third, where is he going to go that's going to give him a better chance than Green Bay?  It would need to be in the AFC.  Pittsburgh and Denver are really the only contenders that have questions at QB.  Do either have the draft capital to pull it off?

So both sides have reasons to move and to compromise.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2848 on: December 13, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »

Aaron Rodgers is playing at an exceptional level. Last nights performance against The Bears was a thing of beauty.

Football requires chemistry ,teamwork and bonding . Rodgers has a great set of teammates around him that he enjoys being around and playing with .

My gut instinct is the Packers will sign Rodgers to a contract that will allow him to finish out his career on his own terms and with The Packers.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2849 on: December 13, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
Aaron Rodgers is playing at an exceptional level. Last nights performance against The Bears was a thing of beauty.

Football requires chemistry ,teamwork and bonding . Rodgers has a great set of teammates around him that he enjoys being around and playing with .

My gut instinct is the Packers will sign Rodgers to a contract that will allow him to finish out his career on his own terms and with The Packers.

The minimum cap hit for Rodgers is $20.29 million next year and that’s if he signs for the minimum.  That money can’t be kicked down the road.  Re-signing him makes bringing Adams back almost nil and the Smiths both walk.  They still have to extend all recent picks.  The same team will not be back and they’ll be starting over in all spots but qb