collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270552 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #1475 on: October 18, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »
Fair assessment.  And they may be able to secure a playoff game at Lambeau by virtue of playing in a weak division.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: October 18, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
If we're being perfectly honest, the Packers are...fine. I give them credit for bouncing back from Week 1, what looked like internal havoc, they overcame and bounced back. Every analytic/stat considers them to be good, not great.

Point differential +8  (13th in the league, 7th in the NFC)
DVOA (thru last week)   15th in the league, 9th in the NFC
Offense DVOA  10th in the league
Defense DVOA  20th in the league
Special Teams DVOA  28th in the league

The 5-1 record looks all shiny and nice (and it is, there's no reason to piss on being 5-1), they've beaten teams that the schedule has given them. They're a fine, not spectacular, team that plays in a weak division. They're the Chicago White Sox of the NFL right now.

Very reasonable evaluation. I think also it's only a matter of time before the injuries catch up to them. The bye is a long way away and while the next couple weeks might see Baktiari and MVS coming back, that defense has been eviscerated by injuries. A good offense would light them up. I feel like they ought to beat Washington even weakened by injuries, but the KC and Arizona games will be a very different story.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: October 18, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
If we're being perfectly honest, the Packers are...fine. I give them credit for bouncing back from Week 1, what looked like internal havoc, they overcame and bounced back. Every analytic/stat considers them to be good, not great.

The 5-1 record looks all shiny and nice (and it is, there's no reason to piss on being 5-1), they've beaten teams that the schedule has given them. They're a fine, not spectacular, team that plays in a weak division. They're the Chicago White Sox of the NFL right now.

Sure.  They also sat their entire team for the entire preseason, have been missing their two best defensive players for multiple weeks, and have been missing the best offensive lineman in the NFL for the entire season so far.  So a slow start was not at all surprising.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1478 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »

The Packers should be able to win the NFC North again this year . Would be helpful if they could generate a very strong win loss record to secure home field advantage for as much of the playoffs as possible.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: October 18, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
The Packers should be able to win the NFC North again this year . Would be helpful if they could generate a very strong win loss record to secure home field advantage for as much of the playoffs as possible.
I think they are more or less what they were last year, with a tick down on both the offensive line and front seven on D. They'll win the division, a playoff game or even two, but I don't see them having enough to get over the hump yet again.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: October 18, 2021, 06:46:28 PM »
If the Packers can survive back to back road games against the Cards and Chiefs without getting the sh!t beat out of them with the injuries they're facing, I'll start believe. These are the games they've historically peed down their legs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: October 18, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »
They probably will lose at least one of the two badly.   And it won't matter.   Will still be kings in the north.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1482 on: October 18, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
They probably will lose at least one of the two badly.   And it won't matter.   Will still be kings in the north.

The Packers, Cowboys, and Bills all have incredibly weak divisions and are in great shape for home field whereas others are quite competitive with at least one other playoff caliber team they have to face twice

Bills/Cowboys/Packers - way ahead
Pats/WFT/Vikings - decent, 9-8 at best
Dolphins/Eagles/Bears - capable of one or two surprises, nothing else. 6 wins max
Jets/Giants/Lions - dumpster fire doesn't this justice. 4 wins wins is the ceiling
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:08 PM »
The decision to go for it by Buffalo? Perfectly fine.

The play call? Epically bad.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1484 on: October 18, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »
The decision to go for it by Buffalo? Perfectly fine.

The play call? Epically bad.
Play call was fine. He’s a big boy that normally converts. Well defended crashing the center and Allen’s feet slipped.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: October 18, 2021, 10:39:39 PM »
Titans had that stopped from a mile away. They sold out up the middle.

RPO or anything outside was a guranteed success.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: October 18, 2021, 10:42:03 PM »
I loved the Bills' decision to go for it. Gain a foot, have a great chance to win in regulation rather than risk a coin-flip OT loss in which they never touch the football.

Good on the Titans for stopping it.

Entertaining game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: October 18, 2021, 10:42:39 PM »
I loved the Bills' decision to go for it. Gain a foot, have a great chance to win in regulation rather than risk a coin-flip OT loss in which they never touch the football.

Entertaining game.

Kick a FG.  OT

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: October 19, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
Kick a FG.  OT

I disagree. And advanced stats overwhelmingly disagree.

From The Athletic:

The decision was cerebral. The numbers overwhelmingly favor going for the first down, with a victory the most common outcome. NFL Next Gen Stats show that in that specific situation, teams convert 75 percent of those plays and win 63 percent of the time. Meanwhile, attempting a field goal to tie the game leads to victory only 42 percent of the time.

And those figures factor in every quarterback who has attempted such a sneak, whether it be Lamar Jackson or Blaine Gabbert.

Allen went into Monday having converted all but one of his 14 fourth-and-1 runs, the lone failure a botched snap. Even when Allen needs to gain as many as 2 yards on a run, he has converted 75 percent for first downs or touchdowns.

I doubt the decision was a very difficult one at all for McDermott. It wasn't even a "ballsy" call. You make it there on 4th-and-inches, like you just about always do, and you very likely win the game. You kick the FG, and at least half the time you lose.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1489 on: October 19, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1490 on: October 19, 2021, 11:53:16 AM »

Entertaining game.

me too. And yes, an incredibly entertaining game.

The Bills are going to win their division going away and they play the Jags next. They can afford the slip up. Show confidence and go for the win. Tennessee made a great read and Allen slipped, the same thing could have happened on the FG attempt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: October 19, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »
me too. And yes, an incredibly entertaining game.

The Bills are going to win their division going away and they play the Jags next. They can afford the slip up. Show confidence and go for the win. Tennessee made a great read and Allen slipped, the same thing could have happened on the FG attempt.

That's another good angle on it, BH.

As a coach, you are telling your players: I believe in you. And then, after you don't make it, you can tell them I still believe in you, I know you'll make it next time, I'll always believe in you. So in addition to it being the correct thing to do mathematically, it's very good from coaching-psychology POV too.

Pakuni

• All American

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: October 21, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »
Sounds like DeShaun to the Dolphins may be getting close.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Deshaun-Watson-Texans-Dolphins-trade-16549248.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Ugh I hope not.  I was lukewarm on a Watson trade even before all the legal issues came out. Now that just feels like such a panic button move.  Trade for him now so you can make him serve some indefinite suspension starting immediately? Yuck. Feels gross not to mention it does zero to salvage this season. 

Between that and the normally very quantitative Bill Barnwell suggesting the Dolphins trade Xavien Howard to a contender to move their second pick up 10 spots and pick up an extra second rounder to "hit the reset button on the 2022 season" - woof.  Its a nervous time to be a Dolphins fan.  Pushing the panic button and throwing good picks after a bad season feels like a very Dolphins thing to do right now.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32433617/nfl-trade-deadline-proposals-imagining-10-offers-players-including-xavien-howard-jabrill-peppers

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: October 21, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »
Sounds like DeShaun to the Dolphins may be getting close.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Deshaun-Watson-Texans-Dolphins-trade-16549248.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I still find it intriguing that Watson's issues have him radioactive...yet Roethlisberger is still playing in the NFL.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1495 on: October 21, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
I still find it intriguing that Watson's issues have him radioactive...yet Roethlisberger is still playing in the NFL.

his legal troubles are current, Big Ben was suspended for six games for the second incident too.  The first was kind of exposed as dubious at best:

On August 8, 2009, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published details of an affidavit filed as part of a motion by two of the other defendants named in the suit to relocate the case from Washoe County to Douglas County. In the affidavit, Angela Antonetti, McNulty's former co-worker, delivered a sworn statement that McNulty had bragged to her about having consensual sex with Roethlisberger.[306] As part of the affidavit, Antonetti said she was "absolutely shocked" upon hearing of the case on the radio on July 21. Antonetti explained, "I knew that [her] lawsuit and false allegations would unfairly and unjustly hurt Mr. Roethlisberger".[312]

According to the affidavit, defendant Antonetti claimed that McNulty had revealed she was hoping she had gotten pregnant with a "little Roethlisberger". Antonetti also claimed that she had been asked to travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in August 2008 in an attempt to "run into" the quarterback. In response, Antonetti advised McNulty she "shouldn't try to chase Mr. Roethlisberger".

As far as I know, Watson has not yet been suspended.

Also, that was pre "believe all women."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: October 21, 2021, 03:13:14 PM »

Largely because Roethlisberger's issues were settled without any kind of criminal charges.
Watson's issues are pending, so any team that acquires him doesn't know what they're getting. Maybe their franchise QB for the next decade, maybe a guy who you coould never allow to be the face of your franchise. It's not the accusations that make Watson radioactive, it's the uncertainty.
If Watson goes uncharged and can make the civil allegations go away, he'll continue to have a long NFL career,

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1497 on: October 21, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
Largely because Roethlisberger's issues were settled without any kind of criminal charges.
Watson's issues are pending, so any team that acquires him doesn't know what they're getting. Maybe their franchise QB for the next decade, maybe a guy who you coould never allow to be the face of your franchise. It's not the accusations that make Watson radioactive, it's the uncertainty.
If Watson goes uncharged and can make the civil allegations go away, he'll continue to have a long NFL career,

another issue would be the trade factor. Roethlisberger was already on his team, Watson is demanding a trade. Any team that trades for him at quite a steep asking price has to face the possibility he will be suspended for a significant period of time or could never play for them after giving up significant assets.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: October 21, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
JJ Watt is honest at least .

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1499 on: October 21, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »

Also, that was pre "believe all women."

The incel movement still has a few openings.