[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270215 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #1100 on: September 30, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »
Austin/SA, maybe.  But OKC and Portland I can't see even being remotely appealing.  Cities around the same size as Milwaukee that don't open up much in terms of new regions. Toronto, Mexico City, and maybe another team in the Bay Area with a new stadium or somewhere like Orlando.

There is no way Portland would get one, and that was before the downtown was turned into Detroit, Jr. Not enough of a corporate base to support the NFL here. The campaign to land an MLB team started a few years ago went from "hopeful" to "DOA" over the last year where MLB canceled a site visit on the advice of the group leading the effort.

A new team has to be outside of the US borders. Mexico City and London.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: September 30, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
There is no way Portland would get one, and that was before the downtown was turned into Detroit, Jr. Not enough of a corporate base to support the NFL here. The campaign to land an MLB team started a few years ago went from "hopeful" to "DOA" over the last year where MLB canceled a site visit on the advice of the group leading the effort.

A new team has to be outside of the US borders. Mexico City and London.

Yeah can't imagine Patriot Prayer Field would be the naming rights payday they're looking for.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: September 30, 2021, 01:29:40 PM »
I'll throw one out for consideration: Orlando!

The city is one of the largest markets in the United States without an NFL football team. Central Florida is growing like a cancerous weed and NFL football represents another key attraction to the number one tourist destination in America. Would imagine Disney would support the team and it would get corporate support from throughout the area. There's a strong, well-educated workforce living close by in Merritt Island and Melbourne.

Downside: The Citrus Bowl is a joke and would have to be replaced. Orlando is in the market footprints for both Tampa and Jacksonville and four NFL teams in the State of Florida may be more than New York could tolerate. The political climate in the state of Florida is well-understood by Floridians but folks from outside the state loathe it and that might play against another team in the state.

That said, Orlando has a better chance of getting a team than Chicago does of getting a second team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1103 on: September 30, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »
All but 4 NFL teams (Bills, Jags, Packers, Saints) are located in metro areas with at least 2 million people. There are only 8 metro areas over 2 million without an NFL team.

#17 San Diego
#21 St. Louis
#22 Orlando
#24 San Antonio
#25 Portland
#26 Sacramento
#28 Austin
#32 Columbus

There are issues with each of these. No 4 obvious candidates. St. Louis probably would be the best option. Agree with others that they probably have to look outside the US if they want to get to 36.

An interesting option could be building a stadium between Austin and San Antonio to draw from both metro areas. The downtowns are only about an hour or so apart.  You could set up in New Braunfels or San Marcos. No idea how feasible that is, just spitballing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:09:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: September 30, 2021, 03:20:14 PM »
When I say Austin/San Antonio, really what I'm saying is San Marcos. That's the ideal spot for a team to support both markets. I'm fairly certain we'll see an MLB and NFL franchise in San Marcos in the next decade.

Orlando has, not problems, but issues. There's the territorial rights issue with Tampa, which can be overcome, but I don't know how the NFL can want to support four teams in Florida. Also, if Disney had wanted a team by now, when Iger was at the helm, he had more than enough clout to get one. Then there's the issue of national media rights deals with Disney, and them owning a team at the same time. The obvious stadium issue comes into play, and where's it going, who's paying for it.

London is not getting a permanent team. If it was going to happen, it would have happened before the new media rights deals were signed. I've mentioned on here before, but it would be incredibly difficult for London to have its own team. Even legally speaking, and Brexit actually probably helped things, you'd have to work with the UK government on things like the NFL draft being legal for a team incorporated in London to use as a means to get new players (it's not legal there currently). Significant tax issues would need to be addressed for the players. Tryout Tuesday, where does it happen for a team in the UK? I haven't even gotten to the obvious issues...like say Seattle plays week 18 on Sunday night football in a win/go home scenario, and if they win, they are at London for the Wild Card round. Let's say in that same scenario, London is at Dallas that same week in a 3:25 pm kickoff. What day/time is that Seattle @ London Wild Card weekend game going to be at?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: September 30, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
All but 4 NFL teams (Bills, Jags, Packers, Saints) are located in metro areas with at least 2 million people. There are only 8 metro areas over 2 million without an NFL team.

#17 San Diego team just left because no stadium
#21 St. Louis team just left because no stadium
#22 Orlando too many Florida teams?
#24 San Antonio too many Texas teams?
#25 Portland Apparently Detroit 2.0??
#26 Sacramento too close to SF and too many CA teams
#28 Austin I'd choose this over San Antonio
#32 Columbus Would steal from CLE and CIN

There are issues with each of these. No 4 obvious candidates. St. Louis probably would be the best option. Agree with others that they probably have to look outside the US if they want to get to 36.

An interesting option could be building a stadium between Austin and San Antonio to draw from both metro areas. The downtowns are only about an hour or so apart.  You could set up in New Braunfels or San Marcos. No idea how feasible that is, just spitballing.

Something to consider with these markets is:

1. Population TRENDS, not actual numbers
2. Where they will pull their fan bases from
3. Would the team be welcomed and draw well.

One name that isn't mentioned is Salt Lake City/Provo.  Added together, their metro population has around 1.9 million, putting them squarely on the level of Nashville.  Additionally, the population of SLC has grown by 15%, and Provo has grown by 30% in the last decade.  I have absolutely no clue which team the people of Salt Lake City root for in general... but I'm going to assume it is a mix of Seattle and Denver?  So we have a good size population, one that is trending upwards, and would probably not pull from a lot of other fan bases.  Add to that there may be added interest from the entire region (ID, MT, WY) and I think we have a pretty decent NFL candidate city.

fight me!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: September 30, 2021, 04:57:42 PM »
Disney will never own the team in Orlando. Will they be a supporter — of course. But ownership, no chance.

The way I ultimately see Orlando getting a team is if Jacksonville moves. They will have to deal with the  stadium, but Orlando is a better market with far more growth potential.

Otherwise, the only way Orlando gets a team is on the television show Coach!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: September 30, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »
The way I ultimately see Orlando getting a team is if Jacksonville moves. They will have to deal with the  stadium, but Orlando is a better market with far more growth potential.

I think that's the big caveat.  If Khan does move the Jags like so many suspect, then it opens up Orlando as a market and I think its a far better market IMO.  I think it could be like Las Vegas in terms of a growing market as well as one that would pull in tons of opposing team fan traffic via vacation travel.

One name that isn't mentioned is Salt Lake City/Provo.  Added together, their metro population has around 1.9 million, putting them squarely on the level of Nashville.  Additionally, the population of SLC has grown by 15%, and Provo has grown by 30% in the last decade.  I have absolutely no clue which team the people of Salt Lake City root for in general... but I'm going to assume it is a mix of Seattle and Denver?  So we have a good size population, one that is trending upwards, and would probably not pull from a lot of other fan bases.  Add to that there may be added interest from the entire region (ID, MT, WY) and I think we have a pretty decent NFL candidate city.

fight me!

I feel like the Broncos would fight this.  I went to a sorority formal at (whatever sponsor is slapped on now) Mile High Stadium in the mid 2000s and during the tour, they were super proud of and super big on being "THE TEAM" for basically all the mountain region between KC and Nevada.  Otherwise it is interesting.  Its already a big hub for Delta, its certainly a growing population center, you have a healthy football culture with UU and BYU.  Though I get the feeling most professional athletes, at least on the Jazz, don't love living there.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1108 on: September 30, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
Kahn is taking important steps to enhance the Jags customer experience . He is very involved with the City and I don’t think he is considering a relocation.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/07/01/jaguars-owner-shad-khan-looks-to-buy-jacksonville-fairgrounds/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: September 30, 2021, 06:21:12 PM »
I think that's the big caveat.  If Khan does move the Jags like so many suspect, then it opens up Orlando as a market and I think its a far better market IMO.  I think it could be like Las Vegas in terms of a growing market as well as one that would pull in tons of opposing team fan traffic via vacation travel.

I feel like the Broncos would fight this.  I went to a sorority formal at (whatever sponsor is slapped on now) Mile High Stadium in the mid 2000s and during the tour, they were super proud of and super big on being "THE TEAM" for basically all the mountain region between KC and Nevada.  Otherwise it is interesting.  Its already a big hub for Delta, its certainly a growing population center, you have a healthy football culture with UU and BYU.  Though I get the feeling most professional athletes, at least on the Jazz, don't love living there.

Retort:  living in Jacksonville also sucks.  Well, from what I've heard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1110 on: September 30, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
You should check it out. You might like some parts of it.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1111 on: September 30, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »

What ability to fight it would the Broncos have? Just because the Broncos are the closest team geographically team doesn't give the Bolan family any ability to block a team there. Look at Philly and Baltimore.

I think people here are dismissing San Diego too easily. It wasn't as much the stadium that was voted down but the Spanos family. And STL would support funding for a stadium with Stan Kronke not involved.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: September 30, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »

I mean, its not Miami, but for a young, wealthy non-Mormon athlete who resides there during the mid of winter, I think a warm weather city next to the beach with a laid back vibe is more appealing than a cold weather city dominated by a segment of people who avoid alcohol and partying and other entertainment and a city that is shockingly devoid of African Americans.  SLC is beautiful and Ive enjoyed my time there, but athletes aren't gonna be getting out on the slopes during the season and many of the other positives are very different when you're not there for just a long weekend.

What ability to fight it would the Broncos have? Just because the Broncos are the closest team geographically team doesn't give the Bolan family any ability to block a team there. Look at Philly and Baltimore.

I think people here are dismissing San Diego too easily. It wasn't as much the stadium that was voted down but the Spanos family. And STL would support funding for a stadium with Stan Kronke not involved.

I'm not privy to ownership meetings and their discussions.  And I'm not saying they would have a leg to stand on, much less be successful, but I imagine they would put up some sort of stink.  I think Baltimore is a bit different given the NFL's history there and in that market, as well as population saturation in the area.

But I do agree that San Diego still makes a lot of sense.  Hugely appealing area with a large population.  Hell, it would be weird as hell without the Raiders, but given the money in the area, I wouldn't be shocked to see Oakland viable again in the next 5-10 years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: September 30, 2021, 07:32:00 PM »
Serious question.   Since BYU has to have the NCAA tourney arranged so it doesn't play a Sunday game.....

Would the LDS folks turn out for a professional sporting event held on a Sunday in sufficient numbers?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: September 30, 2021, 11:01:03 PM »

Agree about both San Diego and St. Louis still being viable NFL markets. The NFL has been willing to go back to spurned markets many times: Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Oakland.

I think Hards' suggestion about SLC was interesting, too.

And agree with Dish and TAMU about a Texas team to take advantage of the San Antonio and Austin markets.

Orlando? Meh. Hasn't proven to be a very good sports town.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: October 01, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
Agree about both San Diego and St. Louis still being viable NFL markets. The NFL has been willing to go back to spurned markets many times: Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Oakland.
Orlando? Meh. Hasn't proven to be a very good sports town.

St. Louis? No way. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

The Bidwells left. The Waltons left. Who in their right mind is going to take a chance on St. Louis? The city itself is dying and too many of the region's corporate headquarters/banks are long gone.

The problem the NFL has in St. Louis is they are second banana to the St. Louis Cardinals. The city is baseball mad and has shown comparatively less interest in pro football. The NFL doesn't like to be second banana to anyone.

Chicago will get a second team, Orlando will have a team and, possibly, the Duluth Eskimos will be reformed before St. Louis gets another shot at the NFL.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: October 01, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »

The Bidwells left. The Waltons left. Who in their right mind is going to take a chance on St. Louis? The city itself is dying and too many of the region's corporate headquarters/banks are long gone.

The problem the NFL has in St. Louis is they are second banana to the St. Louis Cardinals. The city is baseball mad and has shown comparatively less interest in pro football. The NFL doesn't like to be second banana to anyone.

Chicago will get a second team, Orlando will have a team and, possibly, the Duluth Eskimos will be reformed before St. Louis gets another shot at the NFL.

My friend in college who was from STL was a Chiefs fan and a rabid Cardinals fan.  The Rams were a total afterthought.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: October 01, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »

Bracing myself for a 12 paragraph shoothoops response.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: October 01, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »
If I were the NFL, I wouldn't go back to St. Louis. And I believe those who know a heck of a lot more than I do about St. Louis sports culture.

We're all just throwing spaghetti against the wall here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: October 01, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »

#17 San Diego
#21 St. Louis
#22 Orlando
#24 San Antonio
#25 Portland
#26 Sacramento
#28 Austin
#32 Columbus

San Juan metro population is 2.3 million.  San Juan Hurricanes would be a big draw.  Betting, traveling fans like Vegas. Newsie has the cash.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: October 01, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »
San Juan metro population is 2.3 million.  San Juan Hurricanes would be a big draw.  Betting, traveling fans like Vegas. Newsie has the cash.

Don't hate this.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: October 01, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »

Am I a moron for thinking this would also make PR statehood a lock?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: October 01, 2021, 03:12:22 PM »
I’m in for San Juan as well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: October 01, 2021, 03:20:45 PM »
Any billionaires of boricua descent who want a team in San Juan?  Actually LOVE the idea.  San Juan, Mexico City, and Toronto could be really fun expansion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: October 01, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
Very hot and then hurricane season.   How many of the 2.3 million residents can afford season tickets?  And would we then have to make PR a state?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback