[Today at 12:45:22 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 264140 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #400 on: July 26, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »

The fact that Rodgers is currently under contract is how he doesn't have the leverage that Smith had.  Smith wasn't under contract, although he couldn't sign with anyone else but the Cowboys, he was under no obligation to show up until they had a mutual agreement in place.  Rodgers would be fined and miss game checks if he doesn't show.

Despite what they are saying publicly, the Packers IMO wouldn't mind if he retired.

If Smith didn't show up while he had no contract, he wouldn't receive game checks.

If Rodgers didn't show up while he has a contract, he wouldn't receive game checks.

Smith couldn't force a trade and couldn't sign with another team.

Rodgers can't force a trade or sign with another team.

The leverage is the same ... except again, Rodgers already is a multi-bazillionaire while Smith did not have "generational money" at the time of his holdout. Rodgers could walk away and never have to even think about working another day in his life if he didn't want to; Smith didn't have that luxury. IMO, therefore, Rodgers has more leverage than Smith had.

If the Packers really would prefer that the league MVP retire, then they simply do not care if they have a legit shot at the SB in 2021. Maybe that's fine with them, but it shouldn't be fine with their fans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 26, 2021, 01:56:51 PM »

His defense turned Tom Brady over 3 times in the 2nd half of the NFC Championship game at Lambeau and he couldn't capitalize. 

I feel like this can never be put into public record enough.  It's never mentioned on Get Up, First Take, ATH or PTI.  It's an incredible stat, IMO.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #402 on: July 26, 2021, 02:00:01 PM »
If Smith didn't show up while he had no contract, he wouldn't receive game checks.

If Rodgers didn't show up while he has a contract, he wouldn't receive game checks.

Smith couldn't force a trade and couldn't sign with another team.

Rodgers can't force a trade or sign with another team.

The leverage is the same ... except again, Rodgers already is a multi-bazillionaire while Smith did not have "generational money" at the time of his holdout. Rodgers could walk away and never have to even think about working another day in his life if he didn't want to; Smith didn't have that luxury. IMO, therefore, Rodgers has more leverage than Smith had.

It's clear you don't understand the CBA, his contract status, and how this would be impacted.  Not only would he forego his entire compensation for the year, the Packers would be able to claw back about $13 million from a hold out.  (Training camp fines plus prorated roster bonus.)

Spotrac
@spotrac
If Aaron Rodgers stays away from the #Packers for the entire 2021 season, he stands to lose:

- $500,000 workout bonus
- $93,085 minicamp fines
- $2.05M training camp fines
- $14.7M base salary lost
- $6.8M roster bonus unpaid
- $11.5M signing bonus recouped

Total: $35,643,085

Rodgers has nowhere near the leverage that Smith had.  Smith wasn't going to writing checks back to the team like Rodgers would have to.  Rodgers, being under contract and under an owner-friendly CBA, faces significant financial obstacles to holding out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #403 on: July 26, 2021, 02:55:03 PM »

It's clear you don't understand the CBA, his contract status, and how this would be impacted.  Not only would he forego his entire compensation for the year, the Packers would be able to claw back about $13 million from a hold out.  (Training camp fines plus prorated roster bonus.)

Spotrac
@spotrac
If Aaron Rodgers stays away from the #Packers for the entire 2021 season, he stands to lose:

- $500,000 workout bonus
- $93,085 minicamp fines
- $2.05M training camp fines
- $14.7M base salary lost
- $6.8M roster bonus unpaid
- $11.5M signing bonus recouped

Total: $35,643,085

Rodgers has nowhere near the leverage that Smith had.  Smith wasn't going to writing checks back to the team like Rodgers would have to.  Rodgers, being under contract and under an owner-friendly CBA, faces significant financial obstacles to holding out.

Again, Rodgers already is richer than 99% of NFL players, and he has the power that being rich brings. But sure.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
Again, Rodgers already is richer than 99% of NFL players, and he has the power that being rich brings. But sure.

So your theory is that Rodgers has more leverage because he can afford to pay the Packers $13 million?

I don't think you understand how "leverage" works.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »
So I am trying to figure out this negotiated deal that means Rodgers will be back in camp.  Rodgers gets a year off his deal, which is nice for him no doubt, but the Packers get salary cap flexibility which they apparently are going to use on Davante and Jaire.  I guess he is less valuable on the trade market too with only one year remaining.  And hypothetically they COULD let him play in 2022 with no tags the next year so he would be a UFA.

This seems like a lot of drama for one voidable year...or am I missing something?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »
So I am trying to figure out this negotiated deal that means Rodgers will be back in camp.  Rodgers gets a year off his deal, which is nice for him no doubt, but the Packers get salary cap flexibility which they apparently are going to use on Davante and Jaire.  I guess he is less valuable on the trade market too with only one year remaining.  And hypothetically they COULD let him play in 2022 with no tags the next year so he would be a UFA.

This seems like a lot of drama for one voidable year...or am I missing something?

Any team that trades for him would certainly have a timeframe to negotiate with him for an extension.  I’d assume he’d have final say on location
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »

As I understand it at this point, your summary seems pretty good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2021, 05:04:00 PM »

You're missing that his leverage helped him get most of what he wanted - ha!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2021, 05:36:20 PM »
It sounds like he’s open to returning beyond this year. I’ll believe it when it happens. It also sounds like the Packers got salary cap relief with this deal, and discussions are back on with Adams.

He certainly had some leverage. He’s the MVP and a risk to hold out. He didn’t have enough to get him traded or more guaranteed years.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #410 on: July 26, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

That's about right. This is a face-saving move for Rodgers. He wasn't likely to sniff the 2023 year anyway, whether that was being cut or extended.

That said, the year off his deal is probably significant from a trade perspective, though definitely not enough to dissuade someone from trading for him

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #411 on: July 26, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
Rumor is that he is demanding the Packers trade for...Randall Cobb??
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #412 on: July 26, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
Rumor is that he is demanding the Packers trade for...Randall Cobb??

If I'm the Packers I trade for Cobb and resign Kumerow so that I can cut them at the end of camp

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2021, 10:00:10 PM »
You're missing that his leverage helped him get most of what he wanted - ha!

After pondering this some more, I think you are right. Rodgers laid out his future in the NFL giving him more power that I think I have seen before.

He is in control of his future. The Packers are just along for the ride. Brady went to TB and exerted control over personnel that Aaron never had in GB. But Brady never had the control of his future like Rodgers has now - he had to wait for free agency.

I think this is also a bad omen for Davante. The only way he stays is if he gets a bigger contract than Hopkins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #414 on: July 26, 2021, 10:52:14 PM »
After pondering this some more, I think you are right. Rodgers laid out his future in the NFL giving him more power that I think I have seen before.

He is in control of his future. The Packers are just along for the ride. Brady went to TB and exerted control over personnel that Aaron never had in GB. But Brady never had the control of his future like Rodgers has now - he had to wait for free agency.

I think this is also a bad omen for Davante. The only way he stays is if he gets a bigger contract than Hopkins.

I don't know enough about the Packers' financial and management situations to know what it means for Adams. But yes, we are in agreement about Rodgers having most of the cards to play here. The Packers made concessions; Rodgers gained control of his own future, and he didn't lose a penny in the process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2021, 06:19:39 AM »
Rodgers got nothing out of it. He wanted $45M/year, a guarantee he’d be the starting QB long term (guaranteed money for multiple years), or to be traded. He went 0 for 3. The Packers can still get out of his contract after this year. Which is what they wanted when they drafted Jordan Love in the first round.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
Talk about having to perform in a contract year. I think this is great for GB, Rodgers will play his ass off and if he wants a trade after the season, teams will know if they need a QB and a trade can now be done before the next draft.

The Cobb bit is interesting, wonder what he'll make and who's roster spot he'll steal.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »
Well, if Giannis can do it, sew kan #12, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2021, 07:51:57 AM »
Rodgers got nothing out of it. He wanted $45M/year, a guarantee he’d be the starting QB long term (guaranteed money for multiple years), or to be traded. He went 0 for 3. The Packers can still get out of his contract after this year. Which is what they wanted when they drafted Jordan Love in the first round.

This is it exactly.  Rodgers wanted a guaranteed long-term deal.  Like all negotiations, each side gave a little.  (Rodgers got more flexibility by the voiding of his last year, but the Packers got the cap space they needed.)

But in the end, Rodgers had no leverage so he ended up with little.  The Packers can still trade him to whomever they wish after this season, and face little cap consequence for doing so.  And if he has another great year and the Packers want to keep him, they still have him for '22. 

If this whole thing is the right decision by the Packers is another question entirely.  But the idea that Rodgers got a bunch of "freedom" isn't accurate.  He's still playing in Green Bay this season, and the Packers can still trade him before next season.  I doubt that's what he had in mind when he started this drama.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
Congrats to Rodgers, who got most of what he wanted. And congrats to Packer fans who wanted one more chance to win a Super Bowl with the NFL's best QB under center.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2021, 08:31:39 AM »
Congrats to Rodgers, who got most of what he wanted.

He didn't.  He is still on the Packers.  He is still playing under his current deal.  He can still be traded to whomever the Packers want next year...or they don't have to do that if they don't want too. 

What exactly did he get?  The ability to play where he wants two years from now instead of three?  WOW!!

As I said yesterday, he didn't have leverage.  And he wasn't going to be writing the Packers a check for $13 million.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:52:12 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
He didn't.  But keep spinning.

According to the reported agreement, the biggest thing  Rodgers gets is the freedom to decide where he wants to play in 2022.  No other player under a contract in the NFL has that. First NFL player to have NBA-style power.

That.sounds like a win.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #422 on: July 27, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »

According to the reported agreement, the biggest thing  Rodgers gets is the freedom to decide where he wants to play in 2022.  No other player under a contract in the NFL has that. First NFL player to have NBA-style power.

That.sounds like a win.

I have no idea what that means, and neither do you.  If the Packers gave him an unlimited veto on any trade, then sure.  But it doesn't seem like the Packers gave him anything of the sort.

EDIT:  Furthermore, if they did, it would be largely ceremonial in the first place.  Rodgers wouldn't be traded somewhere where he wouldn't report in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:37:18 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #423 on: July 27, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/27/what-did-aaron-rodgers-really-get-from-the-packers/

"Make no mistake about it. Rodgers caved. Rodgers folded. Rodgers surrendered."

"Bottom line? It’s a huge win for the Packers, and it’s also a big win for the cloud-shouting, get-off-my-lawn-yelling old-school football types who think the NFL is becoming like the NBA. Rodgers had a chance to further blur the lines between the two leagues, but as he dove for the goal line, he fumbled the ball through the end zone."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #424 on: July 27, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »

I have no idea what that means, and neither do you.  If the Packers gave him an unlimited veto on any trade, then sure.  But it doesn't seem like the Packers gave him anything of the sort.

EDIT:  Furthermore, if they did, it would be largely ceremonial in the first place.  Rodgers wouldn't be traded somewhere where he wouldn't report in the first place.

Does the voiding the final year help with his return in a trade? I imagine any team looking to trade for him will already have an extension planned. It’s one year less of control, but more flexibility for the new team in the contract.