Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kur Kuath commits to Marquette  (Read 24956 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Kur Kuath commits to Marquette
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 03:19:30 PM »
Well alright. Definitely not something that I expected. But nice addition to the team for sure.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried about Shaka's recruiting tactics, He's big on relationship building. He's not going to do things to jeopardize relationships with current player or prospective recruits.

Fair, but I guess I don't understand why names aren't already in the portal?  I mean, if you're not committed to MU, or Shaka has told you that your spot is in jeopardy, get your name out there young man!  Maximize opportunities!

edit: and if those conversations haven't happened - bad on Shaka
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:22:05 PM by rocky_warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »
Anyone else concerned with the way Shaka is running the program? I like all this new talent he’s bringing in but the over recruiting makes me a little squeamish. Don’t know if I agree with the message it sends to future recruits.

Not in the least. I remember a lot of celebration over Wojo keeping Buzz's team together, then watching Burton, Dawson, and Cohen all leave in about a year anyway. Rather we get the guys that will be here for this coach and help the guys that won't find new homes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »
Anyone else concerned with the way Shaka is running the program? I like all this new talent he’s bringing in but the over recruiting makes me a little squeamish. Don’t know if I agree with the message it sends to future recruits.
I am squeamish about oversigning, too, but I am willing to wait and see how this plays out.  I would hope that there has to be something going with some current guys on the roster that we don't know about. 

I hate the idea that anyone we've signed that has done all that is asked of them could not have their scholarship renewed because we recruited over them.

These are college kids, not professionals.  Once they sign, we owe them four years.  I realize most of you disagree.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
yes and no. At one guy already told him he is leaving. they are just waiting until the end of the semester

Interesting. Care to shed more light on this one?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2021, 03:27:33 PM »
You gotta love the shaka Marquette make over.

Indeed

onepost

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
As I was saying.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2021, 03:32:29 PM »
As I was saying.

Yep. And I think there will be at least one more addition.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »

No.  People have gotta stop with this.  Roster transfers in and out are INEVITABLE with a new coaching staff.  Look around.  Who's to say the conversations regarding the roster haven't already been had and the intentions have been clear for a while?  As someone who stresses relationship building, and whose actions have done nothing to speak to the contrary, I'm confident whatever the transfer situation Shaka has communicated to said parties what's happening.

Shaka owes the current players nothing.  He can address the needs of his program as he sees fit.
 And for the umpteenth time, it's the perfect year for a transition like this since all of the guys who will leave will have immediate eligibility.  This is high major college basketball, you need some thicker skin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »
I am squeamish about oversigning, too, but I am willing to wait and see how this plays out.  I would hope that there has to be something going with some current guys on the roster that we don't know about. 

I hate the idea that anyone we've signed that has done all that is asked of them could not have their scholarship renewed because we recruited over them.

These are college kids, not professionals.  Once they sign, we owe them four years.  I realize most of you disagree.

Totally understand what you're saying, but when a new regime comes in, there's going to be significant change. Athletes leave by choice, coaches remake the roster by choice. It's simply the way it is.

It's hard for me to say that MU "owes" Athlete A another year any more than Athlete A "owes" MU another year.

Welcome to Marquette, KK!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
Yeah people need to calm down.

Not only do we have no idea what convos are like behind closed doors but Shaka is also a new coach this year. Technically all hes doing right now is building his program and getting his guys.

Its not a dirty move to tell someone like Perez(hypothetically) that it may be best he look elswhere because the program is going a new direction. Shaka didn't even recruit the guy.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »
No. I don't believe so. I expect 2-3 more transfers out to be announced.

When? What advantage is there in not getting this done quickly? Maybe there will be one survivor among Greg, Perez and Akanno and they are playing Russian roulette. Glad to hear that you still think Garcia is returning. I lean in Uncle Rico's direction on this but hope you are right.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »

Scholarships are year-by-year propositions, not 4-year promises.  Guys leave early for the draft, guys leave early via the transfer portal, guys leave early to play overseas, guys leave early because they'd rather go work at a mom-and-pop sandwich joint.  And with a new coaching staff who has no affiliation with this roster until mid-March, they especially owe these guys nothing.  If there's a mutual interest in playing for Shaka, fantastic.  Otherwise, you both act like adults and address that it's best you find a new place to play.  Shaka isn't gonna sit around waiting for 2/3 years to get a roster of guys he wants in his program.  At this level of basketball, that's comically naive.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2021, 03:42:13 PM »
In some regards this is the best possible environment to remake a roster for people who move on. Once the team takes shape if it looks like the role you had envisioned doesn't seem likely given the vision of the new coaching staff, then at least in this year there's no 1 year penalty for transferring.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
When? What advantage is there in not getting this done quickly? Maybe there will be one survivor among Greg, Perez and Akanno and they are playing Russian roulette. Glad to hear that you still think Garcia is returning. I lean in Uncle Rico's direction on this but hope you are right.

Finish the semester.

Also, I'd expect 3 departures since I still think we add 1 more still. And I am in the belief Dawson comes back too.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Finish the semester.

The 1465 people that have entered the portal are also finishing the semester. 

I'm not overly concerned about the scholarships, but I am surprised we haven't heard anything about anybody entering the portal.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2021, 03:50:15 PM »

No.  This isn't 6th grade girls basketball. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »
Yes, I have to say it. We are the bizarro world UT Martin. Instead of losing 17 guys, we are gaining 17.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
My other thought about for people feeling “squeamish”...Shaka is also bringing a good chunk of the existing 2021 class that Wojo recruited.  Including Kam Jones who is much less regarded then a lot of the other SG names Shaka had been associated with.  If he was truly remaking the roster his way with no regard for anyone and their commitment to the program, recruits you didn’t originally recruit are one of the easiest ways.  I have zero issues with how it’s shaking out and, as others have said, there is likely plenty that we don’t know behind the scenes that’s respectful and non-detrimental to guys leaving the program.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »

I'm not overly concerned about the scholarships, but I am surprised we haven't heard anything about anybody entering the portal.

Absolutely, I am not saying you have to finish the semester first. But that can be a preference for people.

Focus on finishing school no distractions. Also, for certain players it may be ideal to enter later anyways. Teams that have been striking out on other players may have new opportunities.

Ultimately, I don't think it's real strange that things have been quiet on the leaving the program front.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
Maybe Jose's TRO prevents him from going in the Portal, along with NYC
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Greg Elliott got hurt entering the Portal and will be sidelined 3-4 months
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:59:21 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »

I am also a little surprised about how quiet it's been. Just seems odd.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2021, 03:58:52 PM »
Dexter's hype is too big for the Portal, he's gonna need to compress some files to make it fit

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Greg Elliott got hurt entering the Portal and will be sidelines 3-4 months

Too close to reality!