[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Japan  (Read 2362 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Japan
« on: April 23, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »
Tokyo has locked down again and this might put the Olympics at risk.  Their number of cases are quite low, but only 1% of their population is vaccinated so far.

One of the things most people don't understand about Japan is that a good portion of their country is technologically illiterate.  A lot of their work is still being done by paper, so working from home really isn't a thing, and the government bureaucracy that is dispensing the vaccines is a nightmare.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
Re: Japan
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:55:24 PM »
I didn't say they don't make technological advances.  I said a good portion of the country is technologically illiterate, and their paper based government bureaucracy has slowed down vaccine distribution.  Is "illiterate" an over-statement?  Sure.  But people are surprised how little common technological innovations are used in Japan compared to the US.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
I didn't say they don't make technological advances.  I said a good portion of the country is technologically illiterate, and their paper based government bureaucracy has slowed down vaccine distribution.  Is "illiterate" an over-statement?  Sure.  But people are surprised how little common technological innovations are used in Japan compared to the US.

He doesn’t actually care about the content of your post. He just saw an opportunity to let a bunch of anonymous (mostly) males on the internet know he was successful in business and fluent in a foreign language. Keefe is all that is man. He’ll let you know how the girls in Japan rank in bed compared to everywhere else in the world, because he’s slept with the most beautiful women imaginable in every country. While doing curls. Not with dumbbells, but with what any average Joe Schmo would have on the bench press.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 08:18:58 PM »
He doesn’t actually care about the content of your post. He just saw an opportunity to let a bunch of anonymous (mostly) males on the internet know he was successful in business and fluent in a foreign language. Keefe is all that is man. He’ll let you know how the girls in Japan rank in bed compared to everywhere else in the world, because he’s slept with the most beautiful women imaginable in every country. While doing curls. Not with dumbbells, but with what any average Joe Schmo would have on the bench press.

Or what he prefaced with actually mattered because it’s different than just saying you read an article on the internet.  Not saying that was Fluffy’s issue, but having a legitimate basis for objecting to something is different than pontificating based on glancing over an article or list.

To the topic, I think they are both actually correct.  I’ve spent a decent amount of time in Asia, and the duality is fascinating.  Go to China, TONS is digital, people of all ages use WeChat on their phones to pay in stores or for simple train fare, restaurants have digital menus…but try to use a mobile or PDF boarding pass at the airport and heads implode.

I met with people in Indonesia who have smart phones and use modern tech, but had never used a laptop or surfed the internet traditionally.

I also think the “salaryman” culture in Japan probably has a profound influence on how little WFH is a thing there

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:35:43 PM »
Or what he prefaced with actually mattered because it’s different than just saying you read an article on the internet.  Not saying that was Fluffy’s issue, but having a legitimate basis for objecting to something is different than pontificating based on glancing over an article or list.

To the topic, I think they are both actually correct.  I’ve spent a decent amount of time in Asia, and the duality is fascinating.  Go to China, TONS is digital, people of all ages use WeChat on their phones to pay in stores or for simple train fare, restaurants have digital menus…but try to use a mobile or PDF boarding pass at the airport and heads implode.

I met with people in Indonesia who have smart phones and use modern tech, but had never used a laptop or surfed the internet traditionally.

I also think the “salaryman” culture in Japan probably has a profound influence on how little WFH is a thing there

Yep. This is well stated and what I mean.