[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread  (Read 55504 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
And it sounds like Memphis ain't happening unless FOX really really really says so.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
BE Presidents to discuss expansion per Val Ackerman:

Big East Commissioner Ackerman tells The Athletic that with the Fox deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds. What school helps with our basketball aspirations?" Asked about going national, and perhaps pursuing Gonzaga, Ackerman remarks: “Nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics. Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list.''

The biggest issue for the BE adding the Zags is the travel logistics the Zags will face with their nonrevenue sports, not as much as current BE members will face. Gonzaga is currently a target for the Mountain West which makes more sense for them.

We just need the Zags to relocate closer to us. Maybe to like St. Louis or something. I don't see any issues here.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
Who else besides Gonzaga might be interesting?

Personally, I think the only schools that are both 1) even remotely possible and 2) valuable enough to the Big East are Gonzaga and Kansas...and Kansas would only happen if the other power conferences expand again and decimate the B12 which isn't happening in the near future. Even then, Kansas would probably spend a decade convinced that they will eventually get an invite to one of the top 4 conferences before pulling a UConn.

If expansion happens in the next 5 years, I think it will be Gonzaga unless Fox demands expansion and Gonzaga says no. Then we are probably looking at VCU, SLU, or Dayton. Is the AAC desperate enough that they would let Memphis keep football in the AAC while moving all other sports to the BEast?

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 14, 2021, 10:53:24 AM »
I’d rather have Wichita St than Dayton or SLU
Bring back FFP!!!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #279 on: October 14, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
If the Bonnie's manage to put together a decent run this year and keep it going for a few they could be a surprise candidate. Would be hilarious to see Dayton heads explode if that happens. Probably enough time for St Louis to rebound from last season and make enough noise to look like a serious candidate.

Again I'm not saying either gets a real look now but that they're set up for a chance

SLU was an NIT team last season, where they had a good chance to be an NCAA Team if not for the pandemic canceled games.

Matt Norlander released his 358 ranked teams this week. He has them in this year as a top 68 team. He has MUBB 105.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1448669360663449602?t=SE66S5OW7zUIRsW0uVeGyg&s=19

They already have a budget comparable to Seton Hall and Xavier, and higher than DePaul, Butler etc...they have the facilities, following, and big $ benefactors. (Chaifetz, Kavanaugh, etc..) That of course would likely increase as would many other things.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

Only 5 Big East teams have more NCAA appearances the past decade than them. Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Providence.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:34 PM »

Matt Norlander released his 358 ranked teams this week. He has them in this year as a top 68 team. He has MUBB 105.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1448669360663449602?t=SE66S5OW7zUIRsW0uVeGyg&s=19

Ugh…second to last in BE just ahead of DePaul.

#barecupboard

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »
I’d rather have Wichita St than Dayton or SLU

Probably should have included them as a possibility as well.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Yadi to the Big East.

He could finish top 3 all by himself! If Wain-o joins him, we're talking multiple national titles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 14, 2021, 02:42:10 PM »
SLU was an NIT team last season, where they had a good chance to be an NCAA Team if not for the pandemic canceled games.

They already have a budget comparable to Seton Hall and Xavier, and higher than DePaul, Butler etc...they have the facilities, following, and big $ benefactors. (Chaifetz, Kavanaugh, etc..) That of course would likely increase as would many other things.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

Only 5 Big East teams have more NCAA appearances the past decade than them. Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Providence.

Adding St. Louis would be like flushing the toilet for Buzz, embarrassing
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #284 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:20 PM »
Ugh…second to last in BE just ahead of DePaul.

#barecupboard
I have a different opinion than Matt Norlander regarding MU’s prospects this coming season.

Some of his picks make no sense. Creighton for one. I agree they have a lot of talent on the roster but the vast majority of it is unproven.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #285 on: October 14, 2021, 03:49:33 PM »
I have a different opinion than Matt Norlander regarding MU’s prospects this coming season.

Some of his picks make no sense. Creighton for one. I agree they have a lot of talent on the roster but the vast majority of it is unproven.

A lot of it is based on Nembhard and his performance during FIBA. They also are super high on O'Connell.

Many just think the team here is too young and theoretically has a talent ceiling. I hope we do a lot of proving wrong. I think Lewis is a BIG player this year as a mismatch that will remind us of Jae. Morsell is on a mission for putting it together on both ends of the floor, and I expect him to. If Kolek and O-Max can step it up at this level and Frosh role players can step up a bit (I am looking at Joplin as the most likely candidate), this could be a really fun season.

Not to mention, Greg with health and that shooting he showed last year...
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #286 on: October 14, 2021, 09:06:36 PM »
A lot of it is based on Nembhard and his performance during FIBA. They also are super high on O'Connell.

Many just think the team here is too young and theoretically has a talent ceiling. I hope we do a lot of proving wrong. I think Lewis is a BIG player this year as a mismatch that will remind us of Jae. Morsell is on a mission for putting it together on both ends of the floor, and I expect him to. If Kolek and O-Max can step it up at this level and Frosh role players can step up a bit (I am looking at Joplin as the most likely candidate), this could be a really fun season.

Not to mention, Greg with health and that shooting he showed last year...
I think many people are not taking Greg’s ability into consideration.

The kid was hurt almost all his career . When he finally had some degree of health he really showed up.

I am a big fan of Greg
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2021, 09:26:18 PM »
I think many people are not taking Greg’s ability into consideration.

The kid was hurt almost all his career . When he finally had some degree of health he really showed up.

I am a big fan of Greg

Several Scoopers were totally dismissive of Elliott after last season, basically saying there was no reason for Shaka to want him.

Because, you know, 46% 3-point shooters are a dime-a-dozen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #288 on: October 14, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
I think TV markets are worth thinking about. SLU's address in a top-25 market might be more valuable than their program (which would need a greater commitment). I could see trying to get into other markets or states without Big East teams as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »
I think TV markets are worth thinking about. SLU's address in a top-25 market might be more valuable than their program (which would need a greater commitment). I could see trying to get into other markets or states without Big East teams as well.

If only Detroit Mercy was even halfway decent. It's insane to me that there's nothing else Michigan has to offer for the BE to get a foothold. They'd be a perfect borderline east/Midwest team. East coast timing but not insane travel for MU & DPU
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #290 on: October 15, 2021, 06:09:43 AM »
If only Detroit Mercy was even halfway decent. It's insane to me that there's nothing else Michigan has to offer for the BE to get a foothold. They'd be a perfect borderline east/Midwest team. East coast timing but not insane travel for MU & DPU

Detroit or Boston University would be huge if their programs were competent.

As far as long shots, Northeastern is a solid CAA team in Boston, St Thomas allegedly has Big East aspirations, and Denver is already a partial member. But there's no one that moves the needle like a Gonzaga or Kansas.

If you make an addition, I think you want a program that elevates the league rather than a program that needs the league to elevate them.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:17 AM »
Detroit or Boston University would be huge if their programs were competent.

As far as long shots, Northeastern is a solid CAA team in Boston, St Thomas allegedly has Big East aspirations, and Denver is already a partial member. But there's no one that moves the needle like a Gonzaga or Kansas.

If you make an addition, I think you want a program that elevates the league rather than a program that needs the league to elevate them.

I was going to say Denver also, if they can heavily commit to basketball.  They already know how to put national championship teams together for lacrosse & hockey.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #292 on: October 15, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »

I don't think there will be any additions.

However, if there was one, I think it would be SLU.  New market....decent in basketball....Jesuit connections with MU, GU, X and Creighton.

And this is why I ultimately think it's just not going to happen.  I just don't see anyone who can move the needle and get a higher value media rights contract.

But I have been wrong before.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
And this is why I ultimately think it's just not going to happen.  I just don't see anyone who can move the needle and get a higher value media rights contract.

But I have been wrong before.

Agreed, and frankly, I'm even skeptical of the media market aspect. FS1 & FS2 are already in Boston and Detroit and St Louis and Minneapolis. Sure, a local tie might bring in a few more fans in those markets, but unless the programs are successful I don't think it would be in high numbers and certainly wouldn't drive national numbers the way a Kansas or Gonzaga would. This isn't like the Big 10 needing Rutgers or Maryland to get their channel into NYC and DC. Fox is already there, so why add if it doesn't tangibly improve the product?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2021, 08:26:26 AM »
Quote from: brewcity77 link=topic=61931.msg1376811#msg1376811[b
[/b] date=1634304278]
Agreed, and frankly, I'm even skeptical of the media market aspect. FS1 & FS2 are already in Boston and Detroit and St Louis and Minneapolis. Sure, a local tie might bring in a few more fans in those markets, but unless the programs are successful I don't think it would be in high numbers and certainly wouldn't drive national numbers the way a Kansas or Gonzaga would. This isn't like the Big 10 needing Rutgers or Maryland to get their channel into NYC and DC. Fox is already there, so why add if it doesn't tangibly improve the product?

Then Loyola so that we finally get the Chicago market?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
Then Loyola so that we finally get the Chicago market?

This is a really good post
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »
IMO you only add teams that people stand up and take notice.

UConn was one
Zags are another
Kansas is a dream

After that, every program mentioned doesn't crack our top 7 for national appeal.  Why in the world would we add them? 

Adding SLU / Dayton / VCU does nothing but dilute the league.  WSU is a million miles from our core values.  You can be big public and you can be west but you can't be both (unless you're Kansas).

It's Gonzaga or no one.  Val's message yesterday was to Zag Donors to get them riled up and ready.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2021, 08:50:30 AM »

What do you mean by commitment? I’m assuming you mean winning at higher levels more often. They need to keep doing that, yes. They have commitment, and that commitment would grow in a better league.

Their budget (listed a few posts back) is already bumped up to higher than some Big East teams and the same as Xavier, Seton Hall, etc…and that would increase in the Big East.

They have the $100 million plus on campus facilities, similar size venue to Xavier. They are also located down the street from a 20k seat, recently renovated ($150 million) Enterprise Center it they need it.

They have big money boosters. SLU alum, Richard Chaifetz sits in front row for the games (he flies in from Chicago for games) and has donated over $30 million. SLU soccer alum Jim Kavanaugh is also a big benefactor. He is part owner of the Blues and the new MLS team. $5 million new soccer building is currently under construction. Don Ross (Enterprise) has also recently made 7 figure donations and is a decades long hoops season tix holder. There are several others as well. Being in a Big East type of conference would only help that. It would also help casual fan interest.

They swapped a 25 year difficult non sports friendly school president for someone much easier to deal with. (He isn’t a Tim Lannon salesman type, more of an academic). Rick Majerus picked their AD who again is not a charismatic salesman type, but he’s alright. Their board has been a mixed bag.

Their coach has done something several other coaches there haven’t been able to do, recruit locally.

Several NBA stars work out there on a regular basis when in town. Being in an elevated league would make them more competitive to land more of those players.

They don’t have a lot of historical “commitment” and NCAA success. But times change. In the past decade they have more NCAA appearances than MUBB, and half of the Big East, and they are expected to have a better team this season as well.

When they are competitive they draw big, and they get media attention. Grawer, Spoon, Majerus, Ford.

Creighton had made 2 of 6 NCAA’s when they joined the Big East for example. But they had a Tim Lannon, a former Marquette VP, aggressively lobbying, building relationships etc…and that is not something SLU had, and may not have now. But Creighton did fine, as would SLU. It’s more about how a program would do than what is has done.

Some of the current Big East teams haven’t had much success in a long time. We all know those teams. …Even MUBB with its larger budget and “commitment” has had its share of rough patches. 5 NCAA Tourney 2nd weekends for MUBB in the past 40 years. (1 for KO, 1 for Crean, 3 for Buzz)

I’m all for going after Gonzaga and the very best teams of college hoops as well. If you can’t be one of those teams, may as well try to get one some of them. SLU would do well in the Big East, as they already check several boxes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:54:14 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
IMO you only add teams that people stand up and take notice.

UConn was one
Zags are another
Kansas is a dream

After that, every program mentioned doesn't crack our top 7 for national appeal.  Why in the world would we add them? 

Adding SLU / Dayton / VCU does nothing but dilute the league.  WSU is a million miles from our core values.  You can be big public and you can be west but you can't be both (unless you're Kansas).

It's Gonzaga or no one.  Val's message yesterday was to Zag Donors to get them riled up and ready.

Well, as long as we're making pipe dreams ... add Notre Dame to the needle-moving list. I know it's almost surely not gonna happen, though, and I agree that Val was openly courting the Zags, which was pretty interesting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
It's Gonzaga or a Gonzaga level program or nothing....unless Fox demands otherwise. I don't know that they would but if they did the league would add someone even if Gonzaga said no.

I don't think media markets are as valuable as they used to be.
TAMU