[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread  (Read 55498 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
Then I will do it.   Never.

Well, I actually think it's more realistic than the idea of an on-campus arena for men's hoops.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »
normally an interview with the AD at Depaul wouldn't be worthy of sharing, but on comment piqued my interest and may of others here too:

https://depauliaonline.com/55290/sports/dewayne-peevy-looks-back-on-first-year-as-athletic-director/

Peevy has a long-term vision for the athletic department, which includes eventually building a basketball facility in Lincoln Park and continuing to renovate the Sullivan Athletic Center. Something that isn’t yet part of that long-term vision, but might come into play later down the road, is getting DePaul its own football program.  “Right now, from an athletics side, we have a lot of things to do before we can talk about football,” he said. “But I’m not going to say never.”
I am looking forward to seeing what the new DePaul basketball coach can do this season. Big opportunity to start the job in a season when most of the Big East teams are relatively equal talent wise.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »
Well, I actually think it's more realistic than the idea of an on-campus arena for men's hoops.

Let's start them with small steps. Since joining the Big East, DUMBB has never made the NCAAT.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
Sharing the future Bears field?   Northwestern?   Real estate in Chicagoland is a bigger ask than it is in Milwaukee.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2021, 08:39:08 PM »
Sharing the future Bears field?   Northwestern?   Real estate in Chicagoland is a bigger ask than it is in Milwaukee.

It’s DePaul. They’d probably just use Wish Field or some existing municipal stadium. More realistic than building an arena in Lincoln Park.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2021, 08:45:41 PM »
It’s DePaul. They’d probably just use Wish Field or some existing municipal stadium. More realistic than building an arena in Lincoln Park.

Wish Field, the one you can see from the Fullerton stop?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
I don't think so. In recent years, they've built the program around those 30-80 ranked guys that are "their type" and had success sprinkling in the Omari Spellman/JRE types, and not dropped significantly when a Bryan Antoine didn't pan out. I think it works better for Wright when he is supplementing a solid roster with the occasional 5-star rather than building the roster around them.

Honestly, this should be Shaka's approach (and I think it is). Establishing the system and stocking up on people that fit that system affords you the luxury of finding a Greg Brown that can also fit. Contrast that with the "green light sales pitch" of our previous regime and you find a team without an identity and nothing to lean on if the green light guy doesn't pan out.

I feel good about the hire and where this team is going under Shaka.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2021, 05:08:36 PM »
BE Presidents to discuss expansion per Val Ackerman:

Big East Commissioner Ackerman tells The Athletic that with the Fox deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds. What school helps with our basketball aspirations?" Asked about going national, and perhaps pursuing Gonzaga, Ackerman remarks: “Nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics. Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list.''

The biggest issue for the BE adding the Zags is the travel logistics the Zags will face with their nonrevenue sports, not as much as current BE members will face. Gonzaga is currently a target for the Mountain West which makes more sense for them.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2021, 05:51:35 PM »

Big East Commissioner Ackerman tells The Athletic that with the Fox deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds. What school helps with our basketball aspirations?" Asked about going national, and perhaps pursuing Gonzaga, Ackerman remarks: “Nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics. Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list.''

The biggest issue for the BE adding the Zags is the travel logistics the Zags will face with their nonrevenue sports, not as much as current BE members will face. Gonzaga is currently a target for the Mountain West which makes more sense for them.

So just add Gonzaga basketball and let the rest of the sports stay in their current conference.   ;D

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »
So just add Gonzaga basketball and let the rest of the sports stay in their current conference.   ;D

which is against NCAA rules. Minor issue there.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »

I'm not for expansion, but conference membership is not dependent on all your sports in a single league.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2021, 09:10:03 PM »

So were phantom courses at UNC, agents bribing coaches, and coaches paying players. I remember the good old days.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2021, 09:13:23 PM »

Translation : If Fox wants the Big East to expand. The Big East will expand .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
Translation : If Fox wants the Big East to expand. The Big East will expand .
Yeah, I suspect there might be a push from Fox for more content?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2021, 09:50:43 PM »
Yeah, I suspect there might be a push from Fox for more content?
Gonzaga.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2021, 10:05:37 PM »
I'm not for expansion, but conference membership is not dependent on all your sports in a single league.

There are some instances where having sports in different conferences is allowed. My understanding is that basketball and Olympic sports are tied together.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Who else besides Gonzaga might be interesting?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »

Kansas and that is it.  No one else brings value other than inventory
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »
Who knows what will motivate potential media partners.  Perhaps Fox wants more games to either show or sell off to other networks.  If that's the case, they will have to pay enough to make it worth it.  (In other words, enough to give every school more $$$)

Honestly I just hope the BE can hold serve with this next contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2021, 08:57:05 AM »
Who knows what will motivate potential media partners.  Perhaps Fox wants more games to either show or sell off to other networks.  If that's the case, they will have to pay enough to make it worth it.  (In other words, enough to give every school more $$$)

Honestly I just hope the BE can hold serve with this next contract.

I think the Big East will hold serve. If the NHL can get the money they did from ESPN/TNT for the not the greatest ratings, so can the Big East. FS1 has filled up slots nice over the years adding the Big Ten (39 games) and MWC (32 games), with the Pac-12's 22 games, FOX/FS1 needs the Big East. As that is over 100 slots.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »
Kansas and that is it.  No one else brings value other than inventory
Agreed but I don't see Kansas moving. The new Big XII will be damn good. Not SEC or Big 10 good but every bit as good and the ACC and PAC 12 in football. Can't see them leaving $30-$40 MM in TV revenue for the BE.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
If the Bonnie's manage to put together a decent run this year and keep it going for a few they could be a surprise candidate. Would be hilarious to see Dayton heads explode if that happens. Probably enough time for St Louis to rebound from last season and make enough noise to look like a serious candidate.

Again I'm not saying either gets a real look now but that they're set up for a chance
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #272 on: October 14, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »
Agreed but I don't see Kansas moving. The new Big XII will be damn good. Not SEC or Big 10 good but every bit as good and the ACC and PAC 12 in football. Can't see them leaving $30-$40 MM in TV revenue for the BE.

I'm not sure they are going to still make $30-$40 MM.  But I do agree that that they aren't dropping football to concentrate on basketball.

This isn't UConn playing in a Group of 5 conference.  This is a member of a Power 5 conference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
I really think the only realistic candidates are the same old A10 types that we have traditionally talked about.  Whether or not that will be enough to move the needle, I have no idea.  But Herman is right - if the networks want it, the BE will do it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:37 AM »

The Zags would need a travel partner. Hello Saint Mary's.