[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wojo Post MU Thread  (Read 20007 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Wojo Post MU Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2022, 06:46:17 AM »
Steve Wojciechowski — Wojciechowski was a surprise firing last year when Marquette cut him loose. But the belief is that Marquette had an inkling it could get Shaka Smart.

Right right.

A surprise firing? That journalist needs to put a bit more effort in

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2022, 06:52:39 AM »

Clearly written by a projo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2022, 03:36:56 PM »

Surprised some Scoopers - some even guaranteed he ‘d be back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »
I would say it surprised most Scoopers (including me, I admit). I sure didn't think there were deep-pocketed alums willing to spend their money on a $7M buyout.

Glad I was wrong ... and very pleasantly surprised.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2022, 09:14:25 PM »
Surprise from a financial perspective. Not a performance perspective.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2022, 10:19:28 AM »
Every decision has at least a bit of surprise until it's made.

Wojo being fired was .. 10% surprising.

The idea fired him because "they thought they could get Shaka" is silly.   Wojo was fired March 19, at which time Shaka had just won the B12 tourney and was getting read to play the NCAAs as a #3 seed.

Forgetting that quote .. On paper, how we ended up with Shaka is bonkers.   "Let's fire Woj.  I wonder if the B12 tourney winner and #3 seed will lose to the #14 seed and we can snatch that guy.  That #14 seed has 19 Q4 wins, I bet they are due."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »

The idea fired him because "they thought they could get Shaka" is silly.   Wojo was fired March 19, at which time Shaka had just won the B12 tourney and was getting read to play the NCAAs as a #3 seed.

Forgetting that quote .. On paper, how we ended up with Shaka is bonkers.   "Let's fire Woj.  I wonder if the B12 tourney winner and #3 seed will lose to the #14 seed and we can snatch that guy.  That #14 seed has 19 Q4 wins, I bet they are due."

I doubt they thought at the time that they could get Shaka. But I think they knew the worst they were going to do was Moser who would have been a big improvement over Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2022, 11:16:05 AM »
I doubt they thought at the time that they could get Shaka. But I think they knew the worst they were going to do was Moser who would have been a big improvement over Wojo.

Agreed on this.

There had already been widespread discussion, plans (or hopes by fans) to oust Shaka at Texas, last year or the following year. His seat was as hot as Wojo's. There were rumors that Shaka was aware of this and would consider jumping ship to the right place, because he was unhappy in Texas.

I believe it was fairly well known behind the scenes that Marquette was one of those "right places."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »
Surprise from a financial perspective. Not a performance perspective.

This. Of course. The vast majority of Scoopers thought Wojo should have been fired.

But yes, it was a pretty big surprise from a financial perspective. To me, at least.

Those who claim it wasn't very surprising at all ... I don't remember many of them saying in late Feb or early Mar that they were certain he'd get canned. Even most of the biggest nojos were like, "This sucks. We're going nowhere. And we're gonna be stuck with him."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
This podcast gives a brief update on Wojo  Said he coached his sons sixth grade team and was the most satisfying season ever. He also takes about Theo before going into Duke Matters

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-wojciechowski-on-coach-ks-legacy-this-years-duke/id1601298071?i=1000551859214
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »
This podcast gives a brief update on Wojo  Said he coached his sons sixth grade team and was the most satisfying season ever.

Well I'm glad that wojo finally found a level where he won't be outcoached on a regular basis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2022, 02:30:57 PM »
MU82 would have given him a run.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2022, 12:26:25 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2023, 09:35:12 AM »
Seems like Wojo is having a good quality life in Utah. Making some money here, doing some Team USA  coaching and ESPN.

I could see Wojo potentially applying for the Georgetown job when it eventually opens. That is a big if, considering how much guaranteed coin Ewing is making.

Kind of fits his formula. He can make a Powerpoint to the Trustees and then promote all the history of the program. My guess is he could probably elevate the Hoyas to solid mediocrity, which is a step up from the current abysmal state of the program.   

The question is does he want to give up the good life and move his family again?
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2023, 09:42:14 AM »
Seems like Wojo is having a good quality life in Utah. Making some money here, doing some Team USA  coaching and ESPN.

I could see Wojo potentially applying for the Georgetown job when it eventually opens. That is a big if, considering how much guaranteed coin Ewing is making.

Kind of fits his formula. He can make a Powerpoint to the Trustees and then promote all the history of the program. My guess is he could probably elevate the Hoyas to solid mediocrity, which is a step up from the current abysmal state of the program.   

The question is does he want to give up the good life and move his family again?

Highly doubtful.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2023, 10:05:24 AM »

But I thought we want Georgetown to produce better results post Ewing?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
I don't know why Wojo would be remotely attractive to GTown.  He's never rebuilt or built a program.  He sat at the hand of a successful legend and then took over a program that was in really good shape.

The Gtown job was made for early 2000s Tom Crean.  But since he no longer exists, I'm not sure who.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »
Wojo would be a nice high school coach at a prep school. No heavy lifting, overpaid and the parents/alums would talk the Duke glory days all day with him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2023, 12:53:48 PM »
But I thought we want Georgetown to produce better results post Ewing?

Wojo would be a massive improvement over Ewing. That says more about Ewing than it does about Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2023, 12:57:30 PM »
I don't know why Wojo would be remotely attractive to GTown.  He's never rebuilt or built a program.  He sat at the hand of a successful legend and then took over a program that was in really good shape.

The Gtown job was made for early 2000s Tom Crean.  But since he no longer exists, I'm not sure who.

While I agree with you, whoever is running the show at GTown seems like fart sniffers that would love the Duke aura & the gelled side part

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2023, 09:06:25 PM »
True

i know this has been mentioned but Wojo adds 0.00000000 as a stufio analyst.  The fact that he got this job is somewhat disturbing.
I agree with this analysis.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2023, 09:43:06 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

Herman,

He's unusually bad and this is beyond dispute.  He sort of faked being animated about something and it came off quite poorly to put it mildly.