[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John transferring?  (Read 47449 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Theo John transferring?
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
Theo better or as good as than Davante? Sheesh.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:06:45 PM by Retire0 »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
Theo better than Davante? Sheesh.

Nobody said he was
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
Theo will definitely get paid, but not to play basketball. If he plays next season for another college program, wishing him success.
Theo can make lots of money in Europe or other pro leagues for sure.
Goal is National Championship

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2021, 08:10:10 PM »
conjecture, but ok. Good on ya FBM.

LOL.  You made even a less informed conjecture in the first place.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:28 PM »
not in doubt and how do you know this?

I mean, Dwight Effen Burke is still getting paid. Last pre-COVID season, he averaged 30 minutes per game at age 32. And compared to Burke, Theo was Maurice Lucas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »
I would take Theo over Davante all day every day

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »
dumb

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2021, 08:36:18 PM »

In a foot race?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2021, 08:36:25 PM »
I agree with this. Theo is a solid basketball player and an absolute warrior, and amazing teammate. He is likely one of the most improved players at MU. I remember him missing layups in his first year, where he would throw the ball so hard it'd bounce back out to the FT line. This year, he was one of our better FT shooters, with actually some nice touch.

I'd love to see him at MU and think he would put in the work to be an even better player. I hope he gets the best of opportunities next year, and takes advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Really though? One of the most improved players  at MU? Look at his 4 year stats. Really not much improvement at all.  In some ways he regressed this year. Nothing against him, but the numbers are what they are.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »
In a foot race?
Nope. Everything Davante did on one end, he gave back on the other end. Complete liability on D.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2021, 08:52:37 PM »
Nope. Everything Davante did on one end, he gave back on the other end. Complete liability on D.

Sure, Theo blocked a lot of shots. But he gave up a lot of putbacks after flying at shots he had no chance of blocking.

Davante was an important piece on much better teams. And a helluva lot more fun to watch.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »
Theo and Davante aren't in the same league.  Big Sheesh tilted the playing field on the offensive end.  John turned the ball over or bricked it off the backboard more times than I can count. 

I'll take Gardner all day, every day.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2021, 09:36:12 PM »
Theo and Davante aren't in the same league.  Big Sheesh tilted the playing field on the offensive end.  John turned the ball over or bricked it off the backboard more times than I can count. 

I'll take Gardner all day, every day.

Points aren’t everything, but Gardner matched or eclipsed Theo’s career high 26 times in his career. This includes his first ever college game while only playing 13 minutes. Came up huge in his second game en route to a huge second half comeback vs Bucknell as well. Also was a big part of 3 sweet sixteen teams while playing in a much tougher conference. Personally, I don’t think think there’s much comparison although fans may have started chanting “automatic” when Theo shot free throws his senior year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »
Nobody seems to remember that Theo had to skip practice much of the year, so he knee wouldn’t be too sore for him to play. Last year he was trying to catch and shoot with only one hand because he needed wrist surgery....   it’d be awesome to see one year of a fully healthy Theo.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
Really though? One of the most improved players  at MU? Look at his 4 year stats. Really not much improvement at all.  In some ways he regressed this year. Nothing against him, but the numbers are what they are.

And here's what those numbers are:
Player Efficiency Rating: 16.6 (career high)
True Shooting %: .623 (career high)
eFG%: .583 (second to his soph season, but above his career average)
Offensive Win Shares: 1.2 (career high)
Defensive Win Shares: 1.0 (below soph year, but above career average)

To suggest Theo showed "not much improvement at all" and then claim the numbers support that is nuts.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2021, 10:19:54 PM »
dumb

Dumber than dumb. Big Sheesh was way, way better. Not close.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2021, 10:20:25 PM »
And here's what those numbers are:
Player Efficiency Rating: 16.6 (career high)
True Shooting %: .623 (career high)
eFG%: .583 (second to his soph season, but above his career average)
Offensive Win Shares: 1.2 (career high)
Defensive Win Shares: 1.0 (below soph year, but above career average)

To suggest Theo showed "not much improvement at all" and then claim the numbers support that is nuts.
Most people here won't understand those numbers.
Goal is National Championship

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2021, 11:45:24 PM »
I think Theo and Big SHEESH would both say SHEEEEEESH  to the idea of Theo being better.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2021, 11:45:53 PM »
Theo was a warrior, dynamic shot blocker and the best to do it at Marquette since Mac, and clearly worked extremely hard cause his improvement was noticeable.

But Davante is probably the biggest Marquette diamond in the rough of the 2000s after Wade.  He was absolutely unreal.  And once leaving, he quickly became a star in each league he played in.  He’s arguably the best offensive player in a very solid Japanese B League, filled with former NBA guys and high talent. 

Theo will get paid to play basketball for as long as he wants, at a pretty good level, but he will never be a first team player in a notable professional league. And that’s ok, nothing against a good guy and good player

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2021, 11:47:43 PM »
Theo was a warrior, dynamic shot blocker and the best to do it at Marquette since Mac, and clearly worked extremely hard cause his improvement was noticeable.

But Davante is probably the biggest Marquette diamond in the rough of the 2000s after Wade.  He was absolutely unreal.  And once leaving, he quickly became a star in each league he played in.  He’s arguably the best offensive player in a very solid Japanese B League, filled with former NBA guys and high talent. 

Theo will get paid to play basketball for as long as he wants, at a pretty good level, but he will never be a first team player in a notable professional league. And that’s ok, nothing against a good guy and good player

Plus, the dude was unwrapping towels from his knees when he checked in.  Probably a hot towel to keep his joints loose(?).  Knees are shot.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 12:17:44 AM »
As someone who watches a lot of Euro basketball, IMHO Theo has no chance in the top division and could maybe play in the lower divisions.  Why?

a) Can't shoot.  (at least there's no real evidence that he can).  Euro bigs have to nail the 15 footer and the occasional 3.
b) Pick and Roll.  How many times in his career has Theo scored as the roll man in the PNR?  Closer to zero than any big man ever in history.  The Pick and Roll is key to most Euro offenses and Theo doesn't even know which way to turn to look for the pass.
c) Fast Break.  Given that Wojo seems to have strictly prohibited fast breaks, there is no evidence to support that Theo could score as the trail man on the break.  This is another common role for Euro-Bigs. 

Theo should go to Duke and get a masters.  He'll definitely make more money in business than in hoops.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 12:47:52 AM »
As someone who watches a lot of Euro basketball, IMHO Theo has no chance in the top division and could maybe play in the lower divisions.  Why?

a) Can't shoot.  (at least there's no real evidence that he can).  Euro bigs have to nail the 15 footer and the occasional 3.
b) Pick and Roll.  How many times in his career has Theo scored as the roll man in the PNR?  Closer to zero than any big man ever in history.  The Pick and Roll is key to most Euro offenses and Theo doesn't even know which way to turn to look for the pass.
c) Fast Break.  Given that Wojo seems to have strictly prohibited fast breaks, there is no evidence to support that Theo could score as the trail man on the break.  This is another common role for Euro-Bigs. 

Theo should go to Duke and get a masters.  He'll definitely make more money in business than in hoops.

He won’t play high level Euro ball.  Asia is probably his best bet. He’d probably do very well in South Korea or even Japan.

That being said, given the change in his FT form and decent stroke on limited 3s, I wouldn’t be overly shocked if he developed a serviceable jumper.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 01:40:03 AM »
I love Theo but give the Ox all day. Watching his highlights from China are always a bright spot in my week
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2021, 06:47:45 AM »

I said "as good or better as many of them."  I never claimed he was better than all of them...or even most of them...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2021, 06:48:23 AM »
Again ... Dwight Freakin' Burke makes a living playing basketball in Europe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback