Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Olivier-Maxence Prosper to MU  (Read 24015 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Olivier-Maxence Prosper to MU
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
I like this paragraph.  6'8 athletes often work out very well.  Who was that guy on Tex Tech that transferred from St. J a few years ago?

Tariq Owens, but he was 6'10".

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
Kam Jones is still up in the air, isn't he?  I'd be surprised if both he and Stevie Mitchell arrive this summer.

Both reaffirmed their commitments after Shaka was hired. Can't imagine they would have done so had Shaka not told them they were welcome and wanted.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 09:23:57 AM »
This transfer just Maxence.

And, he's Canadian, so Willie can get excited about an international pickup.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:30 AM »
Tariq Owens, but he was 6'10".

Yes.  I didn't realize Owens was that tall.  Anyway that's the kind of player I was envisioning. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 09:27:38 AM »
I think he will Prosper here.

Anybody know what other schools were showing interest in him when he entered the transfer portal?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 09:31:52 AM »
If Garcia comes back, right now we are one over on scholarships right?   Hmmm  there are no quiet days anymore!

The NCAA should give MU an exception; we haven't had a full 13 ( not counting walk-ons) scholie team under Wojo that I can remember.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »
Both reaffirmed their commitments after Shaka was hired. Can't imagine they would have done so had Shaka not told them they were welcome and wanted.

I wasn't sure if Jones ever formally reaffirmed or not- I know he's been tweeting positive things, etc., but I wasn't sure if that was more of a case of him still wanting to play for MU vs. Shaka actually welcoming him aboard.  There's also a quote from Mitchell from a week or so back where he seems to imply the same thing:  https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2021/4/5/22369012/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-stevie-mitchell-shaka-smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
Welcome to MU Olivier.

Looking forward to prosperity with You on the team.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2021, 09:35:42 AM »
Yep. O-Max's stats as a Clemson freshman were meh, but I trust Shaka's ability to judge potential and to recruit to his system.

Athletic 6-8 wings who were sought by numerous P6 teams, including Baylor, have a lot of appeal.

Interesting travels in recent years: From Canada, played HS ball in both Mexico and Illinois.

Live long and Prosper, O-Max!

Scratch the street pigeon; The Marquette Vulcans.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
I wasn't sure if Jones ever formally reaffirmed or not- I know he's been tweeting positive things, etc., but I wasn't sure if that was more of a case of him still wanting to play for MU vs. Shaka actually welcoming him aboard.  There's also a quote from Mitchell from a week or so back where he seems to imply the same thing:  https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2021/4/5/22369012/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-stevie-mitchell-shaka-smart
I was going to say the same.  We've got direct quites from Stevie about Shaka reaching out and recruiting him.  All we have from Kam are a couple retweets, no confirmed contact from Shaka.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
I'm gonna trust Shaka's judgment on O-Max.  Do people think Joplin is an immediate impact guy?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
Its going to be interesting to see what Shaka's plan is. The classes are getting super imbalanced. This would make 2, 1, 6, and 5. If the departure is Greg or Perez that would be 1, 1, 6, 5. Maybe he is planning for a lot of turnover given the no sit out rule that was approved moving forward?

Maybe DJ goes pro after next season.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
I was going to say the same.  We've got direct quites from Stevie about Shaka reaching out and recruiting him.  All we have from Kam are a couple retweets, no confirmed contact from Shaka.

That's what makes me think Kam is the odd man out from the incoming freshman. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »
I hope so too. Shaka does not impress me as a guy who would cut a guy so close to graduation but if he really needs the roster space, my guess is that some sort of arrangement could be made for a conventional scholarship by Marquette. Greg has proven value. Perez and Akanno- not so much.

Shaka could adopt him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
O-Max is a fantastic nickname.

Shaka definitely has a type, a system, and a plan. That's a lot of guys with rankings between 75 and 120.

Yes! early returns are fantastic IMO, stocking a roster full of 75-150 range "system fit" guys is the exact sweet spot for this program. Start layering in the 25-75 type "system fit" guys with more frequency once your brand is built so that they know exactly what they're buying into, but try not to compromise on the brand for the sake of ranking, especially early on in the tenure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »
I think he will Prosper here.

Anybody know what other schools were showing interest in him when he entered the transfer portal?

It was between us and Creighton
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
I'm gonna trust Shaka's judgment on O-Max.  Do people think Joplin is an immediate impact guy?

No
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
Shaka keeps on collecting underclassmen. Wouldn't be surprised if this means that an upperclassmen is on his way out the door. Gonna be really young but I kinda dig it.

I read up on OMP a few days ago and if you believe Clemson fans, they were very bummed that he transferred. Seemed that Clemson had 3 very good 6'8"-6'10" guys ahead of OMP on the depth chart and with two of them graduating, they expected OMP to have a yuge role next season. Could surprise us with big minutes next season.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »
TAMU

Does the newest additions change your opinion for next years level of success or do you still think Shaka is planning 2-3 years down te road?

For the record, I believe he is putting together a roster to win now. He came to MU with a fair amount to prove and has not won an NCAA game for quite some time. He does need all the new guys to be studs, but it appears that plenty of options for guys to shine. I firmly believe they will be a top tier BE team and will be playing in March.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
Agreed.  My gut feeling is he, Akanno, and probably Elliott are not coming back.
It’s hard to imagine Greg and Shaka not connecting well.  With GE’s attitude, energy and ability to hit some corner 3’s off the bench, hope he comes back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2021, 10:17:06 AM »
TAMU

Does the newest additions change your opinion for next years level of success or do you still think Shaka is planning 2-3 years down te road?

For the record, I believe he is putting together a roster to win now. He came to MU with a fair amount to prove and has not won an NCAA game for quite some time. He does need all the new guys to be studs, but it appears that plenty of options for guys to shine. I firmly believe they will be a top tier BE team and will be playing in March.

No the new additions reinforce it. These are young kids with potential. A great core that fits Shaka's culture and will be very good in a year or two. If he was trying to win big this season, there are upperclassmen in the transfer portal who fit his system who would be bigger instant contributors.

There's still time though. Add Morsell and bring back Dawson and I'll start cleaning off my dancing shoes.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
TAMU

He has not put together a squad to win big yet, but playing in March will be a given by February, IMO. The Shaka factor, plus a chip on his shoulder will play well with a very young team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
TAMU

You think Garcia is coming back? Is he back in school?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
warrior69

I have no idea if Garcia come back or not. If Shaka wants him back, I hope he does come back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
You think Garcia is coming back? Is he back in school?

He never left school. Remember that everything is on zoom this semester.
TAMU