'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek to MU  (Read 30210 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek to MU
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
Litehouse

I am not a big fan of traditional players, but I am really excited about this addition. It looks like this kid is is tough, likely cocky (my kind of player) and has some real game. It looks like another piece of the puzzle has been filled in.

Big question, can he guard Colin Gillespie?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
BC

At this moment I would say yes, let's see when the kid is back in action.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2021, 05:37:03 PM »
Will Tyler be more like Travis Diener or Jake Thomas?  Or Diener/Thomas in a blender?
[/quote

A blender wood bea fein. Weave had two many playas over da past 7 yeers hoo left heer like dave bin thru a Ninja, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2021, 07:25:33 PM »
Still one of my favorite "turn off my brain and laugh" movies
Which movie?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2021, 07:33:06 PM »
My main concern about Tyler is that he is a volume 3-point shooter -- nearly 7 a game, 3x as many 2s as he attempted -- and .358 is not a great percentage for a chucker.

For example, notable chucker Matt Carlino also averaged 7 treys a game his season at Marquette, but he shot at a much more palatable .419 clip. Rowsey averaged 7 attempts a game in his two Marquette seasons, shooting .426. As a senior, Markus averaged 10 treys a game and was the focus of every defense he faced, and yet he still hit .412.

So I hope Tyler's shooting either improves or he is a little more selective about which 3s he takes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2021, 07:58:22 PM »
My main concern about Tyler is that he is a volume 3-point shooter -- nearly 7 a game, 3x as many 2s as he attempted -- and .358 is not a great percentage for a chucker.

For example, notable chucker Matt Carlino also averaged 7 treys a game his season at Marquette, but he shot at a much more palatable .419 clip. Rowsey averaged 7 attempts a game in his two Marquette seasons, shooting .426. As a senior, Markus averaged 10 treys a game and was the focus of every defense he faced, and yet he still hit .412.

So I hope Tyler's shooting either improves or he is a little more selective about which 3s he takes.

Yeah I didn’t understand the excitement over his three point shooting percentage.   But then again, there is always room for improvement and he might make the next leap.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:17:48 AM by Daniel »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »

Carlino never shot better than 34% on 3's until he got to Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2021, 08:20:57 PM »
Carlino never shot better than 34% on 3's until he got to Marquette.

Yeah, I saw that, too. So, as I said, I hope Tyler's 3-point shooting improves. We all should hope for that, including Tyler.

He apparently is a hard worker, so get er done!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
Some people who know ball better than me say we’ve got our shooter. So we’ve got our shooter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2021, 01:36:27 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2021, 06:21:10 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2021, 06:40:31 AM »
Super Troopers 2 was better than Caddyshack 2
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2021, 06:47:00 AM »
Some people who know ball better than me say we’ve got our shooter. So we’ve got our shooter.

Even if Kolek is "our shooter," teams that actually want to win college basketball games nowadays need more than one guy who can consistently knock down 3s. It was no coincidence that Baylor and Gonzaga were great shooting teams. Baylor, for all their athletic ability, defensive pressure, etc, led the nation in 3-point shooting. That's basketball now.

Kolek could improve substantially, as so many players -- including Greg Elliott -- have. Elliott shot .367 his first year, .413 his second and .455 his third. Of course, he rarely got to play his first year and even his second, while Kolek played a ton as a freshman. But as Lazar pointed out, Carlino didn't become a good 3-point shooter until his senior season.

Players DO improve. It's one of the things some people seem to forget when talking about DJ, Lewis and/or Garcia, too. (Not saying you, wades.)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
Super Troopers 2 was better than Caddyshack 2
My colonoscopy was better than Caddyshack 2.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2021, 07:31:29 AM »

You are correct on players potentially improving over their career. Theo and Cain are both examples of that. That said, you have to have a starting point and I am hopeful that the three remaining guys show similar improvement next season. Their starting point is higher than the other guys ceiling.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
There are factors that can bump that percentage up without any actual improvement in his shot.  If defenses keyed on him or he was told to chuck it whenever possible, or there was no other offensive threat on that team, could all be reasons that his percentage wasn't a little higher.  Surround him with better talent and Shaka defines what is or is not good shot selection and he could see his percentage improve.  I don't know anything about this kid and I am not going to pour over all of his game film.  His form looks good to me.  If he is a logo shooter and everyone says he is a good shooter, he is going to be a good shooter next year and that will only improve with time.

My concern with him is athleticism and defensive athleticism at that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
BLM

Thanks for the mention. Nice to see you back after your timeout. Hopefully lessons were learned while you were on scoop vacation.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
BLM

Thanks for the mention. Nice to see you back after your timeout. Hopefully lessons were learned while you were on scoop vacation.

Cool

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2021, 07:58:38 AM »
79% FT shooter, usually means a good 3 point shooter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
There are factors that can bump that percentage up without any actual improvement in his shot.  If defenses keyed on him or he was told to chuck it whenever possible, or there was no other offensive threat on that team, could all be reasons that his percentage wasn't a little higher.  Surround him with better talent and Shaka defines what is or is not good shot selection and he could see his percentage improve.  I don't know anything about this kid and I am not going to pour over all of his game film.  His form looks good to me.  If he is a logo shooter and everyone says he is a good shooter, he is going to be a good shooter next year and that will only improve with time.

My concern with him is athleticism and defensive athleticism at that.

Lots of great points in there, Papi.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »
BLM

Appreciate it.  Here's to hoping our 35% shooting sniper from the A10 outshoots our 45% meh 3 point shooter in the Big East if the latter is getting OutSmarted.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
You were right the first time when sayin' "what do I know?", hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »

And what are the 3 point shooting statistics for Freshmen?  While 3 point shooting is important- ball handling, tempo control, ball movement, leadership are more important as they are huge needs for this offense right now.  If those categories do not improve, this team doesn't either.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:02 PM »
Was watching The MLB Network tonight and they mentioned Tyler Kolek. Had to do a double take. They were talking about Tyler Frank Kolek who was drafted by the Miami Marlins with the 2nd Overall Pick in The 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. Not the A-10 Freshman of the Year Different Tyler Kolek. Whew
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:45:05 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2021, 11:53:10 PM »
And what are the 3 point shooting statistics for Freshmen?  While 3 point shooting is important- ball handling, tempo control, ball movement, leadership are more important as they are huge needs for this offense right now.  If those categories do not improve, this team doesn't either.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

The 3-point shooting for some freshmen was great (Markus, Sam). For others, not so great.

Most players who get the chance and who are committed improve. I hope Tyler does.

And yes, we need all the things you point out, that's no secret.