[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek to MU  (Read 30208 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek to MU
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
hairy

I will take a 80th rated recruit that fits Shaka's system over a 20th rated 7ft white kid from MN. Systems make the world go round and you need to fit the right pieces together.

Rankings are basically a crapshoot outside the top 20 or so anyway.  Plus, they're frequently wrong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
Hards

Agreed. That said, I hope we are in on top 20 guys that fir the system moving forward. My gut tells me that we will be very active in the free agent market year in and year out. There is ZERO doubt that Shaka can recruit or that the kids obviously like him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2021, 10:03:02 AM »
Hards

Agreed. That said, I hope we are in on top 20 guys that fir the system moving forward. My gut tells me that we will be very active in the free agent market year in and year out. There is ZERO doubt that Shaka can recruit or that the kids obviously like him.

100% agree

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »
It is funny, when some posters were negative on the program you did not like that and now some of those posters are very optimistic and you do not like that. Seems to me you either do not like some posters or just want to not like things. My guess is you are hoping some posters are flat out wrong on their optimistic feelings for next season and beyond.

I am sorry you are sitting out on the excitement and waiting for a bit more evidence to buy in. That said, I know you have a ton of patience and would still be giving Wojo more time.

I don't really care what box people would like to paint me into.  I like the staff Shaka has put together, he's clearly going to have a young team, and I REALLY hope that all works out.  I want MU to win - I have a feeling it will be a few years down the road.  I am hesitant to assume he'll have more success at MU than TX, but time will tell.

It's nice to see you and others so ecstatic, but your projections remind me of an Akanno mix-tape.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
rocky

Good stuff. My hope, we bring in guys that take full advantage of the academics at MU, anything else is a bonus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
@Cj_Ward

" 'He can’t play here, can’t play there.' Give me the kid u have to kick out the gym. The kid who thinks he’s the best player in every gym he’s in, the kid that shoots it from the logo. Some pretend to love the work, he LOVES the work. Spoke on it & executed. Proud of u
@KolekTyler"

11:31 AM · Mar 10, 2021

Tweet from one of high school coaches when Kolek was named A-10 ROY.

Holy crap. That literally could be Al speaking from the great beyond.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2021, 11:50:02 AM »
Sorry when I hear A10 I hear Chartouny, no offense to Mr. Kolek. Hundreds of players still in the portal.

the only thing about the Fordham program that is "A10" is their membership in the conference. They would be lucky to finish in the top half of the MAAC most years.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »
Not according to Kentucky fans.  They are fed up with Cal's reliance on one and dones.    Duke fans aren't enjoying K's pursuit of one and done's either.    I hope you are right and admire your optimism.    But until I see differently, young teams scare me.     

If a team is relying on one-and-dones, one of those guys has to be a top 2 pick in the draft for real success. You can win with one-and-dones if Anthony Davis is one of them. It's very hard to do otherwise.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2021, 12:11:34 PM »
I don't really care what box people would like to paint me into.  I like the staff Shaka has put together, he's clearly going to have a young team, and I REALLY hope that all works out.  I want MU to win - I have a feeling it will be a few years down the road.  I am hesitant to assume he'll have more success at MU than TX, but time will tell.

It's nice to see you and others so ecstatic, but your projections remind me of an Akanno mix-tape.
Need to add this to the Meme Inventory.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2021, 12:22:52 PM »
I do not think Shaka is making MU into one and done U, but that model is not going away. My point was more about saying how young a team may be. I do not think that is an excuse with the new rules in place and the game experience freshmen have at the AAU level. It was a great sound bite for Wojo to use after every loss.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »
I do not think Shaka is making MU into one and done U, but that model is not going away. My point was more about saying how young a team may be. I do not think that is an excuse with the new rules in place and the game experience freshmen have at the AAU level. It was a great sound bite for Wojo to use after every loss.

Every coach across America with a young team -- including Cal and K -- use it as an excuse. They might phrase things differently, but they all use it. Because it's valid.

The irony to the "chase all Wojo's guys away" narrative is that DJ, DG and JL probably will be the best 3 players on Shaka's first team (assuming Garcia returns). One reason will be that they're not freshmen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »

You are correct, Coach K or Cal will use "young guys" for an excuse for a month into a season or all year if they suck. I highly doubt that they adopted that model with the thought they could not win it all.

Speaking of comparing Wojo and Coach K/Cal built in excuses, did you see the similarities between Wojo and Jay Wright's early years? Someone pointed that out on here and really made me think hard about the two guys career trajectory.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:42:31 PM by Goose »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »

You are correct, Coach K or Cal will use "young guys" for an excuse for a month into a season or all year if they suck. I highly doubt that they adopted that model with the thought they could not win it all.

Speaking of comparing Wojo and Coach K/Cal built in excuses, did you see the similarities between Wojo and Jay Wright's early years? Someone pointed that out on here and really made me think hard about the two guys career trajectory.

Yep. One proved to be a great coach, the other proved to be a poor one. It happens at every level of every sport and, for that matter, in every business. Not sure what you're point is, but sure.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »

What similarities?  If the comparison is winning percentages of some sort, it's not valid.  Wojo was never going to have any success.  It baffles me how people can't still see that.  All it tells me is that people don't know how the game of basketball is played. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »

I just miss the Wojo/Jay Wright comparison debates and wanted to keep it fresh in my mind. Your mention of other top coaches using "being young" as an excuse reminded me of the Wright comparisons used as a reason to give Woj another few years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2021, 01:54:33 PM »

I just miss the Wojo/Jay Wright comparison debates and wanted to keep it fresh in my mind. Your mention of other top coaches using "being young" as an excuse reminded me of the Wright comparisons used as a reason to give Woj another few years.

NM. Not worth it.

We Are Marquette!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:58:01 PM by MU82 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »

Actually, it was a shot at the posters that made that argument. Wojo is in my rear view mirror and can no longer be seen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »

Actually, it was a shot at the posters that made that argument. Wojo is in my rear view mirror and can no longer be seen.

It was a valid point. No one ever said Wojo was going to be Wright. Just that some coaches need a few years to build something. Some coaches don't end up building anything no matter how many years they get.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2021, 02:26:46 PM »
It was a valid point. No one ever said Wojo was going to be Wright. Just that some coaches need a few years to build something. Some coaches don't end up building anything no matter how many years they get.
But it wasn't...Jay went NIT, NIT, NIT, S16, E8, 64, S16, FF... 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
But it wasn't...Jay went NIT, NIT, NIT, S16, E8, 64, S16, FF...

It took him until year 4 to have any significant amount of success. That's the entirety of the point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »
I love it when people try to use stat combos to make something seem more impressive than it actually is.

Here's a paragraph from Marquette's release about the 5 new players:

Tyler Kolek (6-3, 190), the Atlantic-10 Conference Rookie of the Year in 2020-21, was one of the most productive freshman in the country.  He started 18-of-22 games for the Patriots and averaged 10.8 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.  He is one of only 11 freshmen in the past five seasons (and the only one in 2020-21) to average a stat line of 10.0 ppg./2.4 3-pt. FG/2.0 apg./.350 3pt FG%.

2.4? Really?

The round-number ones are usually contrived enough. "He was just the second Celtic in the last 18 years to average 24 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists."

But 2.4?

This is not meant as any kind of slap at Tyler. Glad to have him on our team!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
Will Tyler be more like Travis Diener or Jake Thomas?  Or Diener/Thomas in a blender? 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »
It took him until year 4 to have any significant amount of success. That's the entirety of the point.

Wright had success in the NIT during a rebuild though.  And when you compare game tape from rebuild years, you'll see Nova has much better ball movement and a flow to its offense whereas MU is sporadic and choppy.  It's not hard to see who the well coached team is..... 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
Watching the freshman highlights of the kid in the video included in Brew's thread makes it look like the kid can light it up. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
Litehouse

I am not a big fan of traditional players, but I am really excited about this addition. It looks like this kid is is tough, likely cocky (my kind of player) and has some real game. It looks like another piece of the puzzle has been filled in.

feedback