[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: TBT 2021  (Read 71159 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: TBT 2021
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2021, 06:15:12 PM »
Any chance that after beating a cancer charity team in the finals last season,  they partnered with Susan G Konen and this is connected to their ultimate warrior campaign?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »
Maybe... but given that he legally changed his name to warrior.... pretty hard to do in his case

Great point.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »
Honestly, wouldn't have made the connection if you guys weren't so high strung about it.

And if they liked his name and logo, good for them.

Just like uttering the words BLM doesn't make you marxist.  Using a dead wrestlers logo and name doesn't mean you support his personal views.  Lighten up. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2021, 08:33:10 PM »
Honestly, wouldn't have made the connection if you guys weren't so high strung about it.

Just like uttering the words BLM doesn't make you marxist.  Using a dead wrestlers logo and name doesn't mean you support his personal views.  Lighten up.

The Redskins logo isn't taken anymore, maybe we should use that.  ::)

Not knowing who Jerry Falwell is doesn't make Liberty University less problematic. Not knowing who Harvey Weinstein is doesn't mean a film festival with his name on it would be in good taste. This is essentially celebrating a racist homophobe. In no way shape or form is that something we should celebrate.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »

Not knowing who Jerry Falwell is doesn't make Liberty University less problematic. Not knowing who Harvey Weinstein is doesn't mean a film festival with his name on it would be in good taste. This is essentially celebrating a racist homophobe. In no way shape or form is that something we should celebrate.

That's the kind of high strung I was talking about!  You damn marxist!

Trust me, they weren't going for "how do we celebrate a racist homophobe" in creating this.  That's just the label you're choosing to apply.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:17 PM »

Trust me, they weren't going for "how do we celebrate a racist homophobe" in creating this.  That's just the label you're choosing to apply.

If they didn’t combine the logo with the name I’d mostly agree with you. But the fact that not only is the name the same, but so is the logo means they clearly are paying homage to the person. And he’s not someone you need to do that for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2021, 08:56:42 PM »
If they didn’t combine the logo with the name I’d mostly agree with you. But the fact that not only is the name the same, but so is the logo means they clearly are paying homage to the person. And he’s not someone you need to do that for.

Agreed. They wanted to make the reference to him be adding the logo
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2021, 09:00:20 PM »
But the fact that not only is the name the same, but so is the logo means they clearly are paying homage to the person. And he’s not someone you need to do that for.

The person?, or the character?.  Think about it.  You really think they dug into the person and said "hell yeah!"  Of course not. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »

👏👏 ya the reactions to the tweet were something.  Great looking logo!!  Everything will be ok Mr. Bykowski

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
The person?, or the character?.  Think about it.  You really think they dug into the person and said "hell yeah!"  Of course not.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean they should keep going with it after they find out.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2021, 09:26:07 PM »

This is a good point too.

Brew I wouldn’t assume you support Willie Wampum just because you wear a Marquette Warriors T-shirt.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:29:08 PM by TallTitan34 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:31 PM »

Brew City-
Life will be better for you when you accept that everyone ,to one degree or another , exhibits some form of racism . When that happens ,Then you can look at things objectively rather than through a racial prism . 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »

All true, of course. But establishing “woke” bona fides always takes precedence over truth or common sense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »

Does it really matter?  The character was played by a racist homophobe.  I don't think that's someone that a group of people representing Marquette would want to celebrate.  Those things are connected.

But sure, hand out Halloween candy dressed as Cliff Huxtable.  I'm sure it'll go great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2021, 10:52:52 PM »
Does it really matter?  The character was played by a racist homophobe.  I don't think that's someone that a group of people representing Marquette would want to celebrate.  Those things are connected.

But sure, hand out Halloween candy dressed as Cliff Huxtable.  I'm sure it'll go great.

Guarantee it would go just fine cause 99.9% of people aren’t looking to be offended by anything and everything.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2021, 11:06:05 PM »
Guarantee it would go just fine cause 99.9% of people aren’t looking to be offended by anything and everything.

Evidently you’re incorrect.

Where 👏🏻 Are 👏🏻 The 👏🏻 Emojis 👏🏻 Though? 💯

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2021, 11:16:40 PM »

You, Brew, and myself were all behind supporting Marquette wearing black "in honor of Jacob Blake".  And I stand behind that - that man did not deserve 7 shots facing away from a police officer.  But he's not some saintly dude, I can admit that.

The ultimate warrior, as a character, is really no different.

But hey, keep being angry, I don't really care.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:23:20 PM by rocky_warrior »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2021, 04:33:42 AM »
Clearly, Joe Chapman and Dan Fitzgerald are racists.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:20 AM »
Golden Warriors?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2021, 05:32:36 AM »

SNL had a very good skit in the season finale.  It was supposed to be a Gameshow Network replay of an older Hollywood Squares episode.  And they had "Bill Cosby", "Jared Fogle", people like that and when asked a question instead of showing the answer, they kept playing a warning sign that "We are omitting showing this segment due to the current revelations since originally filmed."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2021, 05:38:27 AM »

And as mentioned, Jim Hellwig changed his name so the person and character were one in the same. And using that logo only reinforces it.

This isn't hard or complicated. You don't go out of your way to celebrate racists or homophobes. That is just common sense. Anonymous Eagle nailed it:

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2021/5/24/22451766/marquette-golden-eagles-mens-basketball-alumni-team-tournament-tbt-ultimate-warrior

The ironic part is the TBT team is using a racist to evoke memories of Marquette's own racist past. It's like "the racist caricature of our past isn't enough, let's remind everyone with a different form of racism and let's double down with homophobia!" Oh, and that the same people who needed fainting couches for Gold are fine with the racist version of the name change.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »

The character and the man who played it are inseparable.  The character "Ultimate Warrior" doesn't have its own Wiki page for instance - it's the guy who played him.

You, Brew, and myself were all behind supporting Marquette wearing black "in honor of Jacob Blake".  And I stand behind that - that man did not deserve 7 shots facing away from a police officer.  But he's not some saintly dude, I can admit that.

Wow.  That's a terrible analogy.  The point of honoring Jacob Blake is that no one deserves to be shot seven times in the back regardless of their background.  It's actually quite consistent with many aspects of the Bible and Christianity.

Not sure at all how this fits.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2021, 06:08:31 AM »
Evidently you’re incorrect.

Where 👏🏻 Are 👏🏻 The 👏🏻 Emojis 👏🏻 Though? 💯

I love a good emoji.  🖕🏼🖕🏼🖕🏼

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2021, 06:10:15 AM »
The character and the man who played it are inseparable.  The character "Ultimate Warrior" doesn't have its own Wiki page for instance - it's the guy who played him.

Wow.  That's a terrible analogy.  The point of honoring Jacob Blake is that no one deserves to be shot seven times in the back regardless of their background.  It's actually quite consistent with many aspects of the Bible and Christianity.

Not sure at all how this fits.

I can think of a lot of people who deserve 7 shots in the back.  Mr Blake not being one but I can’t get on board with saying no one.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2021, 08:14:34 AM »
Any chance that after beating a cancer charity team in the finals last season,  they partnered with Susan G Konen and this is connected to their ultimate warrior campaign?

Seems plausible