[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Epic Choke Job by the B14  (Read 8447 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Epic Choke Job by the B14
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 08:24:35 AM »
The conference has been overrated from the start. Even with the addition of Joey Hauser!!

It was a league with a few good players and no great players. Franz Wagner - an end of the bench guy in the NBA, at most - is probably the highest drafted guy from the league this year.

Ayo Kofi and Garza?
Maigh Eo for Sam

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »
Sure, make fun of the Big 10 all you want if it makes you feel better about how mediocre Marquette was this past season.

That’s called being a sports fan.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
The scrappy team won while the favored team blew way too many almost open shots near the basket. The first 5 minutes, UCLA was so boring a ref fell asleep on his feet and passed out. Not really, but I thought it fits the narrative.

While Howard was outcoached, I could not understand UCLA's decision to launch a 3 attempt near the end and leave plenty of time for UM to win the game after the miss. Then UM launches a 3 attempt. Both decisions coming after TO's. Wow.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 08:31:40 AM »
Let's take a closer look at the four B14 teams that many thought were title contenders:

Ohio St. lost to Oral Roberts.  A team that was 4th in the Summit and 17-10.  The Buckeyes had one guy playing hero ball and looked like the far less poised basketball team at every critical juncture in the game.

Iowa got their asses handed to them for 40 mins.  They were a complete no show other than Garza, and couldn't guard chairs.  This wasn't a choke job.  They were overrated all season and would have lost to Oregon 10/10 times. 

Illinois, notwithstanding Loyola being underseeded, got punked by a far less talented team.  Their 1st team AA didn't show up and they never even were a threat to win that game.  Similar to Ohio St. they appeared shaken from the start, the far less confident team, and were down right awful.

Michigan (despite the Livers injury)
absolutely gagged last night.  They lost to a team that other than one player couldn't do diddly squat offensively, had a major disadvantage inside, got hosed on a number of calls, and was one of the last at- large teams to make the dance. 

There were two 7 min game time stretches where UCLA couldn't score, both at the start of the game and when Juzang tweaked his ankle.  In the second half, when Michigan took advantage of the situation, and tied the game at 44 after being down 9, the game was right there for the taking.  Instead, they missed multiple chippies, Wagner continued to be a dumpster fire, they never got the ball to their two players who weren't a disaster, and proceeded to score one basket in like 7 mins.  It was colossal gagathon, Howard was outcoached, and it was the perfect culmination to the B14's humiliating and pathetic performance during the tournament.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:40:46 AM by MuggsyB »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 08:33:02 AM »
Ayo Kofi and Garza?

You would be surprised, but Garza might not be even drafted.  I saw an interview few weeks ago and analyst said he just just way too slow on both ends of the floor. 

In this latest mock, he is not drafted.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
You would be surprised, but Garza might not be even drafted.  I saw an interview few weeks ago and analyst said he just just way too slow on both ends of the floor. 

Wow would not have guessed that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »
The scrappy team won while the favored team blew way too many almost open shots near the basket. The first 5 minutes, UCLA was so boring a ref fell asleep on his feet and passed out. Not really, but I thought it fits the narrative.

While Howard was outcoached, I could not understand UCLA's decision to launch a 3 attempt near the end and leave plenty of time for UM to win the game after the miss. Then UM launches a 3 attempt. Both decisions coming after TO's. Wow.

They should fire both coaches.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2021, 08:39:31 AM »
I’m no fan of the Big 14 but the idea it was overrated because of what happened in March is laughable.  The 2011 Big East was a monster and only put 2 teams into the Sweet 16 out of 11 teams with a 1-seed and 2-seed losing in the second round, a 4-seed losing in the opening round along 2 6-seeds losing in the 1st round.

UConn helped the league “save face” by winning it all but even if they hadn’t, it still was a great league.

Yeah...kind of a big deal that UConn won it all that year.

I would like to hear from Ben Brust before I make any judgments on what this means for the Big Nothing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »
I would point out that three of the Final 4 teams are "basketball first" schools, with Baylor being the "football first" exception. The flame out this year of the B1G isn't because Michigan did not reach the F4, but that they were the only team of nine to reach the Sweet 16.

It's no coincidence that the B1G had not won it all this century. Their efficient style of play is built for the flawed NET where they expanded teams and games to improve their schedule strength incestuously. The problem is, you need to have a varied and adaptive style to win in a single elimination tournament.

Point is, whether football or basketball, B1G schools use the same, stay inside the guardrails approach. It's very predictable and their emphasis is always their conference which usually limits their post-season success.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
I would point out that three of the Final 4 teams are "basketball first" schools, with Baylor being the "football first" exception. The flame out this year of the B1G isn't because Michigan did not reach the F4, but that they were the only team of nine to reach the Sweet 16.

It's no coincidence that the B1G had not won it all this century. Their efficient style of play is built for the flawed NET where they expanded teams and games to improve their schedule strength incestuously. The problem is, you need to have a varied and adaptive style to win in a single elimination tournament.

Point is, whether football or basketball, B1G schools use the same, stay inside the guardrails approach. It's very predictable and their emphasis is always their conference which usually limits their post-season success.

I’ll add too that the officiating is way different in the conference versus out of. Big 10 has never adjusted.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 08:51:28 AM »

My reading between the lines from the Smart talk says to me that he doesn't want his players to think too much, it slows them down.  Intuition, refex playing, and spontaneity trump on court analysis.  I think it has something to do with confidence, maturity and practice.  Is it a learned skill or teachable?  I'm not sure.  Do you recruit for mental agility?  All part of talent?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 08:56:08 AM »
I’ll add too that the officiating is way different in the conference versus out of. Big 10 has never adjusted.

That is why Al McGuire once declined to play in the NCAA out of his reagion.  He sent a message.  That is why Marquette has problems at the Garden, even in the Big East.  Also, I'm sure subconsciously the refs. are influenced by their league experiences.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2021, 09:02:12 AM »

Are you referring to the Leaders or the Legends? 🤣

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »

The Big Ten is just fine.

Unless I have miscounted, the Big Ten has put more teams in the Final Four than any other conference since the year 2000.  They have been represented 16 times by six different schools.  Since Michigan State won it in 2000, they have lost seven national championship games.

Sure they haven't won it, but they have been very successful in the tournament.  The only conference arguably better has been the ACC.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »

This probably warrants its own thread, but isn't it weird how in the last few years we've seeing guys like Markus, Powell, and Garza contend for the Naismith trophy but have low chances of getting drafted? I wonder if that's just a recent fluke or if there's a potential trend here.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »

The Big Ten is just fine.

Unless I have miscounted, the Big Ten has put more teams in the Final Four than any other conference since the year 2000.  They have been represented 16 times by six different schools.  Since Michigan State won it in 2000, they have lost seven national championship games.

Sure they haven't won it, but they have been very successful in the tournament.  The only conference arguably better has been the ACC.

So the Big14Ten is the Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings of college basketball?  LOL.  Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »
Exactly one title since the 80s.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
So the Big14Ten is the Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings of college basketball?  LOL.  Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

How much would the average MU fan give to be a bridesmaid right about now? Rumor has it at one fan gave $10 million recently just to have a shot at being a bridesmaid.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
How much would the average MU fan give to be a bridesmaid right about now? Rumor has it at one fan gave $10 million recently just to have a shot at being a bridesmaid.

We're not talking about MU now, this is about the Big14Ten conference.  However, MU's conference has had more recent NCAA tournament championships than the Big14Ten in the last 20 years. 

And MU was 1-0 vs. the Big14Ten this season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »
We're not talking about MU now, this is about the Big14Ten conference.  However, MU's conference has had more recent NCAA tournament championships than the Big14Ten in the last 20 years. 

And MU was 1-0 vs. the Big14Ten this season.

Relax. Your post that I replied to was talking about the NFL and wedding parties, so you can forgive me for not realizing that you had hard and fast rules about what we were talking about.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:48:52 AM by StillAWarrior »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »
That question doesn't apply to Villanova...which is the difference in this conversation...

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »

Dr. B mentioned that their approach has "limited their post season success."  I would argue they have been plenty successful but short of winning it all.

For instance, I don't think the new BE has been overly impressive outside of Villanova winning two titles.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
That question doesn't apply to Villanova...which is the difference in this conversation...

Dr. B mentioned that their approach has "limited their post season success."  I would argue they have been plenty successful but short of winning it all.

For instance, I don't think the new BE has been overly impressive outside of Villanova winning two titles.

You guys need to stop mentioning Villanova (and the BE); BrewCity83 is talking about the Big14Ten conference here.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
You guys need to stop mentioning Villanova (and the BE); BrewCity83 is talking about the Big14Ten conference here.

LOL, I mean, comparing them to the NFL is just fine but another conference is different.  OK then...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »
Ayo Kofi and Garza?

Exactly. Good, but not great. No lottery pick. Only Ayo goes in 1st round.

feedback