[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.  (Read 15116 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 09:59:42 PM »
I'm pretty careful about when I state things as fact and when I state them as an opinion. When I do get a fact wrong I own up to it.

Are these facts or opinions?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
I'm pretty careful about when I state things as fact and when I state them as an opinion. When I do get a fact wrong I own up to it.

I don’t think there is even one reasonable person on Scoop who questions your integrity.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 10:33:44 PM »
Won't be long before we cross the mark where we've been talking about changing the name back to the Warriors longer than we were actually called the Warriors.

It's never going to come back.

Agreed.  But 40 years of Warriors is still long off from 26.9* years of Golden Eagles.  Who knows what the next 13 years have in store.

* Give Bricky his day in the sun - GE's actually LOST to gold!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:42:31 PM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
I don’t think there is even one reasonable person on Scoop who questions your integrity.

But then we'd have to agree on who is reasonable.  :P

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2021, 11:35:52 PM »
Not sure what all the fuss is about. The nickname is clearly never coming back. I feel, as long as it is divorced from Native imagery, “Warriors” in the general sense is a great name. That doesn’t change that it won’t be the official nickname for MU ever again. 

In fact, i feel it is very neat that “Warriors Forever” is the unofficial refrain from so many alums. Every MU coach since I attended in the early ‘90s has at one time or another referred to one of his player as a “warrior” out on the floor. In a way, it’s cooler that “Warriors” is unofficially embraced by fans, alums, even some students, yet  considered verboten by successive administrations that misunderstand how generic a term it is. It should be understood in the athletic sense only, as it relates to fighting for teammates, school pride, coaches etc.

I don’t hate the Golden Eagle nickname, and I love the majesty of our national bird 🦅. That said, I won’t purchase any MU Gear with the current GE nickname prominent. What is stopping fans and alums from printing tee shirts maybe that say “MU WarriorsWithin” or “SpiritWarriors”?  Be creative and classy/ non-offensive. Embrace your official Marquette Golden Eagles while you pay homage to your unofficial Warriors of Marquette.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

1SE

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2021, 01:25:41 AM »
Not sure what all the fuss is about. The nickname is clearly never coming back. I feel, as long as it is divorced from Native imagery, “Warriors” in the general sense is a great name. That doesn’t change that it won’t be the official nickname for MU ever again. 

In fact, i feel it is very neat that “Warriors Forever” is the unofficial refrain from so many alums. Every MU coach since I attended in the early ‘90s has at one time or another referred to one of his player as a “warrior” out on the floor. In a way, it’s cooler that “Warriors” is unofficially embraced by fans, alums, even some students, yet  considered verboten by successive administrations that misunderstand how generic a term it is. It should be understood in the athletic sense only, as it relates to fighting for teammates, school pride, coaches etc.

I don’t hate the Golden Eagle nickname, and I love the majesty of our national bird 🦅. That said, I won’t purchase any MU Gear with the current GE nickname prominent. What is stopping fans and alums from printing tee shirts maybe that say “MU WarriorsWithin” or “SpiritWarriors”?  Be creative and classy/ non-offensive. Embrace your official Marquette Golden Eagles while you pay homage to your unofficial Warriors of Marquette.

Are you Albanian, Mexican or Scottish?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2021, 01:29:16 AM »
Are you Albanian, Mexican or Scottish?

Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle....I see you’re picking feathers.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2021, 07:32:41 AM »
I feel, as long as it is divorced from Native imagery, “Warriors” in the general sense is a great name.

Perhaps a little something like this:

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2021, 10:56:51 PM »
LOL I'm not banking on catching lightning in a bottle twice.

I think the right answer is no nickname. Just Marquette. We don't use any nickname imagery on uniforms. Our fight song and chant don't reference a nickname. Just Marquette, then let pundits refer to us as they choose.

If the old school wants to use Warriors, fine, as long as it's not official. If the new school wants to use Golden Eagles, fine, but it doesn't have to be official (they can still sell Iggy dolls without an official nickname).

We Are Marquette. And that's all we need to be.

Maybe go with Marquette University Basketball Team (each sport would have their own unique nickname). Or the Marquette WeAres.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
The intent of starting this topic is that I am well aware that the Golden Eagle name is here to stay so at least upgrade the PITIFUL mascot.  It does not represent what Golden Eagles are:  Majestic, Strong, Fearless, and attack opponents.
They are not fuzzy, mangy, smelly, or wimpy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
The intent of starting this topic is that I am well aware that the Golden Eagle name is here to stay so at least upgrade the PITIFUL mascot.  It does not represent what Golden Eagles are:  Majestic, Strong, Fearless, and attack opponents.

Is it?

As reported in USA Today:

When college athletes are able to profit off of marketing deals, it’s going to add another layer of dynamics for how coaches put together their rosters.

We may just become the Marquette Harley-Davidson Road Warriors if we want to compete at the highest level.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »

mascots are primarily for kids.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »
mascots are for primarily for kids.

I mean, look at the people decrying golden eagles... are you surprised?   ;D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »

I guess Warriors was inappropriate for 18-23 year old kids.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »

For kids' nightmares, perhaps.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »
How about making 1977 the year the mascot?  That way, we can relive that year every time the Golden Eagles play
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
How about making 1977 the year the mascot?  That way, we can relive that year every time the Golden Eagles play

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »

Does that mean I get my hair back?????

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2021, 01:37:58 PM »

What mascot is any of those things? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »

Why not just get a real eagle and let it fly around during games? If nothing else, it'll keep the bats away.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »
...I believe this was the mascot in ‘77

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »

Pretty sure mascots exist primarily to encourage young fans. I think fuzzy and friendly is generally what they're going for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 03:52:09 PM »
For kids' nightmares, perhaps.

The Marquette Gritty Walruses

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2021, 04:49:02 PM »
I mean, look at the people decrying golden eagles... are you surprised?   ;D

Decrying?    ::)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
There is no doubt that Warrior is more fitting than lame Golden Eagle. Everybody knows that. But with today's cancel PC crowd. Not happening
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback