collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nike Devil Shoe  (Read 5394 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Nike Devil Shoe
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
Using all the Biblical references as part of a production that essentially honors the seduction of Satan seems to be very purposeful. It mocks the Biblical guidance of avoiding sin and resisting the devil's temptation. Again, I doubt the question would even be asked if this was not a play on Christian Protestant beliefs.

Do you think a BBQ restaurant owner pricing pork sandwiches using a Quran verse reference would be viewed as antagonistic or mocking of Islam?

If you're going to get offended by something small then make sure you're intellectually honest about it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
Not really, do you take a literal interpretation of every word of the bible?  You're just being argumentative because you want to play the victim here.

I'm saying that he's intentionally insulting a religion, and that only gets a pass because that religion is Christianity. Would you would tell someone from a different religious background that their feelings aren't valid if they were offended?

You actually went so far as to say that someone who believes in part of the Bible has to be stupid. That's incredibly insulting, and intentionally so. And I highly doubt you would go that far if you were referring to another religion. It's possible to criticize and share doubts without being insulting.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
I'm saying that he's intentionally insulting a religion, and that only gets a pass because that religion is Christianity. Would you would tell someone from a different religious background that their feelings aren't valid if they were offended?

You actually went so far as to say that someone who believes in part of the Bible has to be stupid. That's incredibly insulting, and intentionally so. And I highly doubt you would go that far if you were referring to another religion. It's possible to criticize and share doubts without being insulting.

Yes, it is intentional.  Anyone that takes that collection of works as literal and gets offended by someone 'insulting' it is an idiot.

Just like it would be if everything in the Quran is to be taken literally, I'd rip on that too.

It's stupid, and you'd just be looking for something to be offended about.  If you value my stupid opinion of your story book, I can't help you.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 10:50:17 AM »
Every time I hear you Sky Wizard believers playing victim I give a little money to The Satanic Temple. Keep it up you poor, oppressed peoples. Cancel those shoes!

https://thesatanictemple.com/

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
Using all the Biblical references as part of a production that essentially honors the seduction of Satan seems to be very purposeful. It mocks the Biblical guidance of avoiding sin and resisting the devil's temptation. Again, I doubt the question would even be asked if this was not a play on Christian beliefs.

Do you think a BBQ restaurant owner pricing pork sandwiches using a Quran verse reference would be viewed as antagonistic or mocking of Islam?

Meh. You must really struggle with horror movies, what with all the references to Satan and the Bible. Halloween must be especially tough, with the devil costumes and whatnot. And let's not get started on the Duke Blue Devils and DePaul Blue Demons.

Your Islam analogy doesn't quite work, by the way. To the best of my knowledge, nothing in Christian dogma opposes the wearing of shoes (even those as horrid as the Air Max).
That said, when a Muslim gets offended over a cartoon depiction of Muhammad, I think that person is being ridiculous. As I do of anyone upset about a shoe.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
Gotta love Scoop.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
If this was another religion outside of Christianity that was upset or offended by this stunt, would you still have the same response? Don't you think this is pretty intentionally antagonistic toward Christians?

"If this was another religion outside of Christianity that was upset or offended by this stunt, would you still have the same response?" - Yes I would. I think that exporting one's personal belief structure to exert external consequences on people who don't share that belief structure is at it's most charitable, dumb. Art exists on a spectrum of tasteful to tasteless, and while I can come up with examples I find tasteless (Piss Christ, for example) I can't come up with one that justifies a Satanic Panic. I wonder if people sat around hysterical at Milton when "Paradise Lost" came out. The shoe in a vacuum is silly, but reaction is the thing that merits ridicule.

"Don't you think this is pretty intentionally antagonistic toward Christians?" My reaction or the shoe? Of course the shoe is intentionally antagonistic toward Christians. That's the point. And it's working. My reaction is intentionally antagonistic toward incredibly sensitive Christians who lack the self-awareness to avoid doing EXACTLY what the people who are antagonizing them want them to do. If I hung a "punch me" sign on your chest, aimed you at a mirror, and you punched yourself and then threw a huge hissy fit about it I would call you a rube too.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Meh. You must really struggle with horror movies, what with all the references to Satan and the Bible. Halloween must be especially tough, with the devil costumes and whatnot. And let's not get started on the Duke Blue Devils and DePaul Blue Demons.

Your Islam analogy doesn't quite work, by the way. To the best of my knowledge, nothing in Christian dogma opposes the wearing of shoes (even those as horrid as the Air Max).
That said, when a Muslim gets offended over a cartoon depiction of Muhammad, I think that person is being ridiculous. As I do of anyone upset about a shoe.

Sure, the analogy isn't perfect, but it gets the point across. The shoes are just part of the release of the video; they're just being used to generate more buzz.

My overall point here is being proven over and over on a Catholic school's basketball page - you can insult Christians/Protestants (for you Galway) without being labeled as a bigot. I don't think this would happen with other religions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:12:35 AM by skianth16 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
Sure, the analogy isn't perfect, but it gets the point across. The shoes are just part of the release of the video; they're just being used to generate more buzz.

My overall point here is being proven over and over on a Catholic school's basketball page - you can insult Christians/Protestants (for you Galway) without being labeled as a bigot. I don't think this would happen with other religions.

Putting 666 on some shoes is an insult?

Setting the bar awfully low, aren't we?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
Putting 666 on some shoes is an insult?

Setting the bar awfully low, aren't we?

I'm not referring to the shoes as an insult. I'm referring to the posts here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »

He wasn't insulting him because of his Christianity.  He was insulting him for being taken by a marketing campaign.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

He wasn't insulting him because of his Christianity.  He was insulting him for being taken by a marketing campaign.

These are insults to Christianity.

Every time I hear you Sky Wizard believers playing victim I give a little money to The Satanic Temple. Keep it up you poor, oppressed peoples. Cancel those shoes!

If you value my stupid opinion of your story book, I can't help you.

And these kinds of posts wouldn't be tolerated if they targeted other religions.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2021, 12:01:03 PM »

And these kinds of posts wouldn't be tolerated if they targeted other religions.

I'm literally targeting all religions.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2021, 12:42:42 PM »

Well, we are going to have to disagree on that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
I'm also not so sure I quite buy the premise of "okay to mock Christians but not okay to mock non-Christians." I mean <gestures broadly at the history of entertainment media>.

I'm Catholic, practicing, but I'm not so delusional as to accept this War on Christianity nonsense. Tennessee's state legislature just voted to adopt the Bible as its state book. I'm sorry, but Christian's aren't a marginalized group if things like that are happening.

Art in culture and humor punches up. The best play is to learn to take that punch. Be like the Mormons buying ads in the playbills for Book of Mormon that said something like "The Book is always better."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:14:51 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
I'm also not so sure I quite buy the premise of "okay to mock Christians but not okay to mock non-Christians." I mean <gestures broadly at the history of entertainment media>.

I'm Catholic, practicing, but I'm not so delusional as to accept this War on Christianity nonsense. Tennessee's state legislature just voted to adopt the Bible as its state book. I'm sorry, but Christian's aren't a marginalized group if things like that are happening.

Art in culture and humor punches up. The best play is to learn to take that punch. Be like the Mormons buying ads in the playbills for Book of Mormon that said something like "The Book is always better."

Isn't that a violation of the first amendment: not exactly establishing a religion but strongly endorsing one. I agree it's not a war on Christianity but there is a war forcing an individual to violate their conscience.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:05:50 PM by muwarrior69 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »
Isn't that a violation of the first amendment: not exactly establishing a religion but strongly endorsing one.

Oh yeah there's a 100% chance it gets struck down. Stuff like that is either pandering to the converted or a devious way of funneling kickbacks to the lawyers who will bill lots of hours on both sides of the appellate process until it is officially struck down.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »

This is the whole idea that I disagree with. You don't have to be in a marginalized group to be offended by someone's actions/words and for that hurt to be real. I'm not going to go so far as to say there is a war on Christianity, but I do think the idea that it's OK to insult group A but not group B is awfully hypocritical. To only view complaints from marginalized groups as valid doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:20:59 PM by skianth16 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »
This is the whole idea that I disagree with. You don't have to be in a marginalized group to be offended by someone's actions/words and for that hurt to be real. I'm not going to go so far as to say there is a war on Christianity, but I do think the idea that it's OK to insult group A but not group B is awfully hypocritical. To only view complaints from marginalized groups as valid doesn't make sense to me.

Cool, conflict resolved: I don't think any group is immune from mockery.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:43 PM »

You're free to be offended by whatever offends you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:32 PM »

Same. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 02:01:38 PM »
Except the Flying Spaghetti Monster I assume you mean. Don't you dare!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
As a Christian, I find that the actions and words of many Christians offend me more than this does.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »

Mostly, you just have to want to be offended.

feedback