Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?  (Read 33093 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2021, 04:10:46 PM »
So diverse means african american.

Lol

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
Austin Texas: 49% White 51% Non-White
Milwaukee County Wisconsin: 57% White 43% Non-White

Wow.  I'm shocked you are triggered over race....yet again.

Read up what has been happening at UT about "The Eyes of Texas" and see how an 18 year old basketball player may not feel terribly welcome at the place.  And that's not new. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
So diverse means african american.
Whatever. You win.  ::)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2021, 04:23:44 PM »

Wow.  I'm shocked you are triggered over race....yet again.

Read up what has been happening at UT about "The Eyes of Texas" and see how an 18 year old basketball player may not feel terribly welcome at the place.  And that's not new.

Do all the alumni live in Travis County?

A lot of kids are made to feel unwelcomed and that is not new.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/high-school-student-berated-candace-owens-black-history-project

nyg

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
Austin is in Travis County
The 5 largest ethnic groups in Travis County, TX are White (Non-Hispanic) (48.7%), White (Hispanic) (22.6%), Other (Hispanic) (8.66%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (7.92%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (6.81%).

Seriously, can you and others give it up.  Who gives a flying crap what the demographics are from Austin and other cities.  I get enough of this garbage on the TV news and people actually come to this site to get away from it.  You want to argue that stuff start a new thread in Superbar and go at it all you want.

Better to hear about coach vacancy and the crazy rumors now starting from various I heard froms and Twitter websites throwing stuff on the wall.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2021, 04:31:56 PM »
Seriously, can you and others give it up.  Who gives a flying crap what the demographics are from Austin and other cities.  I get enough of this garbage on the TV news and people actually come to this site to get away from it.  You want to argue that stuff start a new thread in Superbar and go at it all you want.

Better to hear about coach vacancy and the crazy rumors now starting from various I heard froms and Twitter websites throwing stuff on the wall.

I agree, but some here care a lot about diversity when only ones achievements should be considered in choosing a new coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »

Tom Penders' Elite 8 was over 30 years ago and he coached UT in the old Southwest Conference - which wasn't exactly a hotbed of college basketball at the time.  That is a lot different than the B12 of today.

And he wasn't a bad coach.  And I never said that it was IMPOSSIBLE to win there.  It's just harder than people think.

Fair, but I'm not sure what how long ago Penders was there or the conference affiliation has to do with his tournament success. Not like they played SWC teams to get to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.
My point was/is that it's not that hard to win at Texas, if your definition is "get into the tournament more often than not and advance most years." Two of the last three coaches did that.
Anyhow, I'd guess it's easier to win at UT today than 30 years ago. Better conference, recent success, lots of players in the NBA, new $60 million hoops facility on the way, etc.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:53 PM »
I agree, but some here care a lot about diversity when only ones achievements should be considered in choosing a new coach.

No, you went to the next level discussing race.  Not basketball issue, you derailed the thread. 

Just stop and move on

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »

Actually that was NOT the context that race was brought up whatsoever.  I mentioned that Austin and UT "isn't the most diverse place in the world" as a reason why basketball success might be more difficult than people think.

nyg is right.  You derailed the topic because anytime race is mentioned you go off the rails.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
TAMU, would you say that despite their resources, Texas is a difficult place to win?

Since around 2005, they seem to be trying to recapture their magic. I think a favorite meme of mine is the “Is Texas back?” whenever they have a small amount of success. They’ve seemingly have had good coaches go there and struggle in both football and basketball.

I think yes and no. The boosters at Texas are richer than God and have the athletic department wrapped around their pinkies. Basketball can be popular when it is good but when it's bad or average it's maybe 5th or 6th in line on campus. And for all the talk about "keep Austin weird" there's a lot of features that I could see making intercity recruits uncomfortable. Texas has a lot of "Wal-Mart Michigan" type fans. If you live in Texas, the default school you cheer for is Texas unless you have a connection to one of the other schools. So the student body skews very liberal while the fanbase and alumni skew very conservative which make for a fascinating case study. I've heard specifically that there were more than a few major donors who took offense to the hiring of a Black northerner for the basketball program.

But seeing how Shaka abandoned havoc at Texas, I wonder if he didn't fall into the trap of only chasing high ranked recruits. Texas is college football and recruiting class rankings is a lot bigger deal than it is in college basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure (and temptation) to always go after the top recruits. That can work if you are a player's coach like Cal or K but if your a system coach it can be a problem. Top recruits handlers are not going to let their talent play for a coach that is going to make them play 94 feet of defense. So you compromise on your system and you end up in this weird middle ground of being a system coach charadeing as players coach.

If Shaka is the pick, the key will be what he learned at Texas. If he recognizes what went wrong and is committed to make changes to improve, he could work here. If he blames everything on Texas having unreasonable expectations and thinks he can pick up right where he left off, he should be avoided.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2021, 07:07:56 PM »

unnatural carnal knowledge man, just stop. Turn on Outnumbered and get back to your safe space.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2021, 08:50:58 PM »
 “the student body skews very liberal while the fanbase and alumni skew very conservative which make for a fascinating case study.”
Isn’t that every university in the country? Definitely not unique to UT. Regarding football being king at Texas, football is king at every school that plays it, with the exception of maybe Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky.  I’m sure Shaka has learned from past misjudgments...and maybe competing with football headlines was one of them.  If Shaka is MU’s guy, I’d love to know what’s changed this time around for Shaka.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
@CoachingChanges:
Current most attractive jobs

1) Marquette (bar set low by Wojo, great budget)
2) Indiana (wild expectations)
3) Utah (big time job can win there, pays)
4) DePaul (new arena, tradition, bar low right now)
5) College of Charleston (great spot, top job in league)

burger

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
“the student body skews very liberal while the fanbase and alumni skew very conservative which make for a fascinating case study.”
Isn’t that every university in the country? Definitely not unique to UT. Regarding football being king at Texas, football is king at every school that plays it, with the exception of maybe Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky.  I’m sure Shaka has learned from past misjudgments...and maybe competing with football headlines was one of them.  If Shaka is MU’s guy, I’d love to know what’s changed this time around for Shaka.

You obviously have never spent any significant time in Texas.....

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2021, 10:15:40 PM »

Football is definitely king, not just at UT, but in the state of Texas as a whole. Especially high school football. No state produces more prospects year in and year out than Texas.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »

Not to the level you see at TU. Trust me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »
Football is definitely king, not just at UT, but in the state of Texas as a whole. Especially high school football. No state produces more prospects year in and year out than Texas.

Florida would like a word...

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2021, 10:42:25 PM »
Florida would like a word...

Florida is certainly a close second.

Pakuni

• All American

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2021, 10:51:04 PM »
Other way around.

https://thespun.com/nfl/graphic-the-10-u-s-states-with-the-most-current-nfl-players

That's the NFL, I said high school. According to 24/7, in the 2021 class Texas produced 377 ranked high school prospects to Florida's 336.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2021, 11:42:49 PM »
Not sure I would describe DePaul’s fan base as “rabid”. They seem close to non-existent. Not too many people care about DePaul in Chicago. It was great back in the Mark Aguirre days, but that was a long, long time ago

DePaul had fewer fans at their games pre-Covid

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:02 AM »
There has to be money as a factor here. I don't believe Moser is going to take a discount because he covets MU, worked for Rick, worked for Jesuits, the Amtrak stop, whatever. He has the ability to command 3M plus without advancing this week. 2 final fours, he's really pushing into rarified air and you are looking a 4M plus range. Who is footing that bill?  Underwood makes 4M to give you a sense, Buzz @ 3.9. 

Gates is just a semi-hot name at the moment, but he could easily not get picked up and have to prove it again next year.  The people that pay the salaries might talk themselves into a coach at half the cost.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
MU cannot afford to not pay Moser. The consequences are too great, hey?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:00:38 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »

I would rank the sports popularity in Texas as:
1. High school football
2. College football
3. Pro football
4. Baseball
5. Basketball

I think TAMU did overstate the UT following though. At least in Houston, i felt like TAMU had  greater following than UT.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »
MU cannot afford to bot pay Moser. The consequences are too great, hey?

Is this some new cryptocurrency?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback