Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?  (Read 33088 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2021, 12:10:34 PM »
Have also heard more chatter that Shaka to Marquette could very well be happening.
Certainly not #DoneDeal 'ing myself but given the source I'm inclined to believe it has legs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
Have also heard more chatter that Shaka to Marquette could very well be happening.
Certainly not #DoneDeal 'ing myself but given the source I'm inclined to believe it has legs.

Ugh
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Can Moser actually interview at this point?

Loyola would have had to give him permission.  And they may have been OK with something virtual.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2021, 12:16:28 PM »

I'm honestly not sure.  I would think Brewcity is the guy that knows but three people have told me that Smith and Gates had so-so interviews. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2021, 12:22:25 PM »
A source I trust says MU has already been in contact with the agents of Gates and Moser.  He says Gates is our top candidate.
PhillyCoach?

No Previgen needed for you yet.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
I didn't think so at the beginning but I'm beginning to believe that it could happen. Moser has definitely helped his stock this week.

You quoted my part about Belien and Shaka. But then in your post only mentioned Moser.

Who are you beginning to believe could happen??

If it's Shaka, I guess it would go along with these recent comments.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

onepost

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
I'm honestly not sure.  I would think Brewcity is the guy that knows but three people have told me that Smith and Gates had so-so interviews.

Also heard those were the four interviews and Shaka and Porter stood out.
But that stuns me to hear that Gates would have a so-so interview, he seems like a guy that would absolutely thrive in an interview setting.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »

Good to know. Thanks for the update onepost. My source is bbq. No wait, that's a sauce
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:25 PM »
But that stuns me to hear that Gates would have a so-so interview, he seems like a guy that would absolutely thrive in an interview setting.

Agreed, I have a hard time believing Gates would not nail an interview

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
Agreed, I have a hard time believing Gates would not nail an interview

I guess in relation to the other guys, he’s probably had less head coach interviews. He does seem very impressive.

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
It might not be that he didn't "nail" the interview.  Maybe he has different philosophies about how to build a program.  (Used a number of Jucos at CSU for example.) 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
Thanks for passing along the info onepost and Mugsy.

If Smart and Moser are the top 2, give me Shaka.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:51 PM »
I only bring it up because if an interviewed candidate did not get the job they could claim discrimination based on what the AD said publicly that diversity/race by your definition was a consideration in the hiring process. My take is that he should have said nothing about diversity and left it at that. I appreciate Brews perspective on the subject.

So, your biggest concern is that a black guy is gonna game the system. Wow.

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
I only bring it up because if an interviewed candidate did not get the job they could claim discrimination based on what the AD said publicly that diversity/race by your definition was a consideration in the hiring process. My take is that he should have said nothing about diversity and left it at that. I appreciate Brews perspective on the subject.

He didn't say "race."  He said "diversity."

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »

I’d hate to doubt what you heard, but in this scenario Shaka and Porter would have to get permission to interview right?

Unless I missed that Shaka was fired? I think it would be strange for Texas to not fire him but let him interview at Marquette, unless they are hoping MU selects him and eats up some of the buyout?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »
I’d hate to doubt what you heard, but in this scenario Shaka and Porter would have to get permission to interview right?

Unless I missed that Shaka was fired? I think it would be strange for Texas to not fire him but let him interview at Marquette, unless they are hoping MU selects him and eats up some of the buyout?

Or they want to fire him but can save his buyout by waiving it. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2021, 01:17:03 PM »
Thanks for passing along the info onepost and Mugsy.

If Smart and Moser are the top 2, give me Shaka.

I am with you. I know the shine has left a bit on Shaka (maybe because no longer a shaved head to shine off of?), but I see him thriving at Marquette and being here for a long time. Shame he didn't come here when we had a void at AD as I thought he was the right guy then (but fully understand why one wouldn't). Willing to eat these words in 5-7 years if I am wrong.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
If Porter advances to the Final Four, does MU wait another week and potentially lose other candidates? Feels like it's Moser if Loyola's run ends this weekend and Shaka if it goes any longer.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »

I don't think Shaka is in the mix.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2021, 01:28:20 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily say that Shaka's timeline is any quicker than Moser's. He is likely in a game of chicken with Texas at the moment. He may want to get fired so he can pocket a cool 7 mil before taking his next gig. Texas I'm sure would rather have him find a soft landing spot ala little Ricky at New Mexico. The longer Shaka waits, the bigger risk that we (or other suitors) will move on. The longer Texas waits, the bigger risk that they will have to do a late coaching search and start their rebuild behind the eight ball. Who will blink first?

FWIW, firing a coach that just won the B12 and got a three seed in the dance is crazy to me. But if any school is rich enough and arrogant enough to do it, it's Texas.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily say that Shaka's timeline is any quicker than Moser's. He is likely in a game of chicken with Texas at the moment. He may want to get fired so he can pocket a cool 7 mil before taking his next gig. Texas I'm sure would rather have him find a soft landing spot ala little Ricky at New Mexico. The longer Shaka waits, the bigger risk that we (or other suitors) will move on. The longer Texas waits, the bigger risk that they will have to do a late coaching search and start their rebuild behind the eight ball. Who will blink first?

FWIW, firing a coach that just won the B12 and got a three seed in the dance is crazy to me. But if any school is rich enough and arrogant enough to do it, it's Texas.

100% agree on all of this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »

Of course. He'd just need Loyola's permission. Same with Shaka, who is still employed by Texas.

Assuming the info on Shaka interviewing is true, it makes absolute sense for Texas to wait to see what MU does. They could reduce or eliminate the buyout for MU taking him off their hands; that would be millions they would have to spend on their next coach, who could have a large buyout of his own.

I don't think Texas would be behind the 8-ball too much. They will be going after a more accomplished coach than most schools with openings. They might target Beard or even Buzz. They have the $$$ to pay that buyout, and the name recognition to have that coach be interested. Or even Beilein. And IIRC, they don't have to convince their top players to stay, like Marquette does; their guys are seniors or are going pro.

As for your second paragraph, TAMU, didn't you talk earlier about an entire body of work? Maybe Texas looks at sub-.500 career B12 record, 4 losing conference records in 6 seasons, zero NCAAT wins in 6 seasons, all capped by a humiliating loss to a vastly inferior team, and says, "It's time."

I mean, if you had an opening, and unlimited $$$, and you were given the choice today between Smart and Beard, who would you hire?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
Of course. He'd just need Loyola's permission. Same with Shaka, who is still employed by Texas.

Assuming the info on Shaka interviewing is true, it makes absolute sense for Texas to wait to see what MU does. They could reduce or eliminate the buyout for MU taking him off their hands; that would be millions they would have to spend on their next coach, who could have a large buyout of his own.

I don't think Texas would be behind the 8-ball too much. They will be going after a more accomplished coach than most schools with openings. They might target Beard or even Buzz. They have the $$$ to pay that buyout, and the name recognition to have that coach be interested. Or even Beilein. And IIRC, they don't have to convince their top players to stay, like Marquette does; their guys are seniors or are going pro.

As for your second paragraph, TAMU, didn't you talk earlier about an entire body of work? Maybe Texas looks at sub-.500 career B12 record, 4 losing conference records in 6 seasons, zero NCAAT wins in 6 seasons, all capped by a humiliating loss to a vastly inferior team, and says, "It's time."

I mean, if you had an opening, and unlimited $$$, and you were given the choice today between Smart and Beard, who would you hire?

Texas does not give a rip about cash flow.  They have piles that they routinely light on fire and their donors also have very deep pockets and aren't afraid to help out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
Texas does not give a rip about cash flow.  They have piles that they routinely light on fire and their donors also have very deep pockets and aren't afraid to help out.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying.

Even the big Shaka fans here ... if they had a choice between Smart and Beard, would they honestly take Shaka?

Texas very well might have that choice. They might already have reached out to Beard or Beilein or some other coach who has won an NCAAT game in the last 8 years and who didn't just lose to Abilene Christian.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2021, 01:54:23 PM »
Exactly. That's what I'm saying.

Even the big Shaka fans here ... if they had a choice between Smart and Beard, would they honestly take Shaka?

Texas very well might have that choice. They might already have reached out to Beard or Beilein or some other coach who has won an NCAAT game in the last 8 years and who didn't just lose to Abilene Christian.

*fart noise* Tony Bennet lost to UMBC and kept his job.  Sometimes your team is just bad for a game, or gets caught with their pants down.

Texas is such a strange place.  They won't be happy unless they're in the E8 every year.  And not even fans at blue bloods expect that sort of thing.  They're a bunch of unrealistic dipsticks that thinks money can buy them wins.  If they want wins, they should be banging down Mr. Pitino's door.  He is a perfect fit for those ten-gallon hat wearing nutcases.

feedback