collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to change/update University Seal  (Read 21887 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Marquette to change/update University Seal
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2022, 10:39:32 AM »
I wonder if the couple of Native American students that complained about the old seal are happy now that all Native American representation has been erased from the new seal.  They have been reduced to a few weeds blowing in the wind.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2022, 10:40:21 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2022, 10:41:21 AM »
Push back on cancel culture. No place for history in today's world. If you don't like it, cancel and poof it never existed, hey?

I don't seem to remember you being upset about Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger getting canceled by the GOP and its overlord.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2022, 10:51:32 AM »
I don't seem to remember you being upset about Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger getting canceled by the GOP and its overlord.

We've missed you the last few days.   ::) ::)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »
Here's our new seal:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__today.marquette.edu_2022_02_board-2Dof-2Dtrustees-2Dapproves-2Dupdated-2Duniversity-2Dseal-2Dthat-2Dhonors-2Dcatholic-2Djesuit-2Dtradition-2Dand-2Dindigenous-2Dnations_&d=DwMF-g&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=xMe4opsVYFgLuPt_GcoG7mQvpA07i9dq30CVhRvDDms&m=fmU4KbWEp6GSs1FHwVDXcb4OmBxBi3UgHIynTPD6CLo&s=TB9c5CCYDLvYd18K7tGbbty8aopUggASJzailebVd7c&e=

It's about as generic as you can get. Turn the symbol of the Eucharist into a rising sun and we could be a logo for the University of Iowa.

Personally, I don't care what it looks like so much as what we're running from. Graphic designers can tell me whether it's clean and eye-catching or not. What they can't tell me is why a small group of native Americans finding our namesake offensive is enough to change something that defines who and what we are.

I'm rather surprised they left a symbol of the Eucharist in the seal. Only God knows how long it's going to be before that's eliminated because we might possibly offend a group of atheists.

I can hardly wait until Marquette mails me a new diploma with the new seal and wants the old one back!!!!!  ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2022, 11:16:05 AM »
What they can't tell me is why a small group of native Americans finding our namesake offensive is enough to change something that defines who and what we are.

I love Marquette as much as anyone. What I don't understand is how someone could spend four years there and come away thinking that the university seal "defines who and what we are."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2022, 11:17:27 AM »
It's about as generic as you can get. Turn the symbol of the Eucharist into a rising sun and we could be a logo for the University of Iowa.

Personally, I don't care what it looks like so much as what we're running from. Graphic designers can tell me whether it's clean and eye-catching or not. What they can't tell me is why a small group of native Americans finding our namesake offensive is enough to change something that defines who and what we are.

I'm rather surprised they left a symbol of the Eucharist in the seal. Only God knows how long it's going to be before that's eliminated because we might possibly offend a group of atheists.

I can hardly wait until Marquette mails me a new diploma with the new seal and wants the old one back!!!!!  ;D

I'm still outraged.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2022, 11:43:41 AM »
Push back on cancel culture. No place for history in today's world. If you don't like it, cancel and poof it never existed, hey?

What’s been cancelled?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2022, 11:47:37 AM »
Mite as well bee kalled Pussay University with a wet, harey kat as our maskot, aina?
I'd think they'd have a dentist as the mascot in that case
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
Exactly. For instance, the teaching about race and slavery, am I right?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »
Smith  The error is teaching that that is what defines us a s a country when it truly does not.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2022, 01:24:13 PM »
Exactly. For instance, the teaching about race and slavery, am I right?

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2022, 01:32:41 PM »

We’ve got our trifecta, folks!  Woke mob, cancel culture and virtue signaling.

Congrats to everyone for getting us there in less than 24 hours.  Thanks for your efforts and hard work.

Check your accounts for scoop credit.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2022, 02:12:00 PM »
Meanwhile, in Texas ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/us/texas-child-abuse-trans-youth.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220301&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=84297&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

HOUSTON — Texas officials have begun investigating parents of transgender adolescents for possible child abuse, according to a lawsuit filed on Tuesday, after Gov. Greg Abbott directed them last week to handle certain medical treatments as possible crimes.

The investigations by the state’s Department of Family and Protective Services, which have not been previously reported, were launched in response to an order from Mr. Abbott to the agency, the lawsuit says. The order followed a nonbinding opinion by the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, that parents who provide their transgender teenagers with puberty-suppressing drugs or other medically accepted treatments — which doctors describe as gender-affirming care — could be investigated for child abuse.

Among the first to be investigated was an employee of the state protective services agency who has a 16-year-old transgender child. On Tuesday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and Lambda Legal went to state court in Austin to try to stop the inquiry.

The employee, who was not named in the court filing, works on the review of reports of abuse and neglect. She was placed on administrative leave last week, according to the filing, and on Friday was visited by an investigator from the agency, which is also seeking medical records related to her child. The family of the child, identified in court documents only as Mary Doe, has refused to voluntarily turn over the records.

These are the same people who have no problem with forcing "conversion therapy" on gay kids. Wow. Talk about virtue signaling, cancel culture, and "fear and control."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »
Meanwhile, in Texas ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/us/texas-child-abuse-trans-youth.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220301&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=84297&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

HOUSTON — Texas officials have begun investigating parents of transgender adolescents for possible child abuse, according to a lawsuit filed on Tuesday, after Gov. Greg Abbott directed them last week to handle certain medical treatments as possible crimes.

The investigations by the state’s Department of Family and Protective Services, which have not been previously reported, were launched in response to an order from Mr. Abbott to the agency, the lawsuit says. The order followed a nonbinding opinion by the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, that parents who provide their transgender teenagers with puberty-suppressing drugs or other medically accepted treatments — which doctors describe as gender-affirming care — could be investigated for child abuse.

Among the first to be investigated was an employee of the state protective services agency who has a 16-year-old transgender child. On Tuesday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and Lambda Legal went to state court in Austin to try to stop the inquiry.

The employee, who was not named in the court filing, works on the review of reports of abuse and neglect. She was placed on administrative leave last week, according to the filing, and on Friday was visited by an investigator from the agency, which is also seeking medical records related to her child. The family of the child, identified in court documents only as Mary Doe, has refused to voluntarily turn over the records.

These are the same people who have no problem with forcing "conversion therapy" on gay kids. Wow. Talk about virtue signaling, cancel culture, and "fear and control."

WTF does any of this have to do with changing the Marquette University seal??? 

Someone help this person...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2022, 03:04:20 PM »
I am surprised this catastrophe hasn't gotten more coverage. I mean, what is more important than this? Certainly not Covid or Ukraine.
The complainers here seem like a bunch of whiny Karens. Sad. Really.  Most of you couldn't have even picked out the seal out a line up of similar ones before this. Faux outrage at its best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »

It has to do with virtue signaling and cancel culture, which some here love to talk about at every turn.

The seal discussion was dead. We are all properly outraged at that great affront to humanity.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2022, 03:06:09 PM »
It has to do with virtue signaling and cancel culture, which some here love to talk about at every turn.

The seal discussion was dead. We are all properly outraged at that great affront to humanity.

The Threadkiller speaks.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
I love Marquette as much as anyone. What I don't understand is how someone could spend four years there and come away thinking that the university seal "defines who and what we are."

Brother Still:

The seal is a bit like a sacrament -- it's an outward side of the university. Maybe my wording was not as precise as it should be. My view is that who we are is a function of the values and the instruction we took away from our four years at Marquette. The philosophy, theology and approach to the world that we encounter in our professional studies.

The seal is a reflection of what we stand for. It's a flag of sorts. By removing Father Marquette from the seal, which we did, we are raising serious questions about our university's namesake. The signal you're sending is that in carrying out Jesus' command to go and teach all nations, Father Marquette did things that contraindicate the Catholic values for which we stand.

Why else would you change. Convince me there is NOT a cause and effect between a group of bizarre protestors who think our Church was an evil scourge on Native Americans and the changing of the seal.

In the meantime, I repeat my earlier question -- How long will it be before we change our name to Wisconsin Jesuit University? Oh, but that might offend someone who thinks the Catholic Church is evil and so we disavow any connection to Catholicism.

The seal is meaningless. The way we walk away from what we are is not.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2022, 03:23:19 PM »
Just change the name of the university at this point and remove the statue from the quad. That will teach people a lesson!
All Lives Matter

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2022, 03:25:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1498750864512716803?s=20&t=BqGrgtkjxAi460KCiEijrQ
I can't believe they aren't outraged about  changing the seal!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #296 on: March 01, 2022, 03:27:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1498750864512716803?s=20&t=BqGrgtkjxAi460KCiEijrQ
I can't believe they aren't outraged about  changing the seal!

Go ahead and post this in the Arby's thread next.  Or the March Madness thread.  Not everyone (in fact hardly anyone) is here to talk about Ukraine all the time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 01, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
The Threadkiller speaks.

Yes, it would be a shame if this thread died. It had such promise!

But seriously ... trying to throw parents in jail for helping their 16-year-old transgender children with the medication they need. That's Texas, for sure, but I'm guessing Florida is pissed they didn't think of it first.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 01, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
Just change the name of the university at this point and remove the statue from the quad. That will teach people a lesson!

Woquette University.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #299 on: March 01, 2022, 04:41:45 PM »

Someone help this person...

About as much as dentists whining about cancel culture ...