[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to change/update University Seal  (Read 22924 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: Marquette to change/update University Seal
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »
Okay.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »
What was it representing before? I noticed that to and was curious why.

The wolves are from the Coat of arms of the Loyola family in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2022, 04:18:28 PM »
What was it representing before? I noticed that to and was curious why.

Clearly the wolves were problematic.  They represented two brothers tearing apart the Marquette basketball program and are featured prominently in the coat of arms of the Ellenson and Hauser family.   

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »
Here's our new seal:

Generally, I think it looks good. I really don't feel strongly about the seal in general. From a purely stylistic standpoint, I liked the diagonal division previously more than the horizontal division. I also liked the "Marquette" arching on the top and "University" arching on the bottom more than I like the "Marquette University" arching across the top. I like the inclusion of AMDG more than the old "Numen Flumenque". To that end, I would have liked them to just go with the abbreviation and make it smaller like they had with the old Latin motto (perhaps within the red/gold sector). Visually, I like the rivers/rice more than the old Pere Marquette canoe. I kind of liked the wolves - I'll miss them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 04:32:32 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:08 PM »
Be interesting to see the new seal.  Personally, I thought the old seal said it all.  Pere Marquette, witnessing and evangelizing to the Indians and treating them and their culture with respect and dignity.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2022, 04:45:55 PM »
Be interesting to see the new seal.

Um, look ^
Ludum habemus.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2022, 04:48:50 PM »
I don’t see a chalk outline anywhere
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »
Generally, I think it looks good. From a purely stylistic standpoint, I liked the diagonal division previously more than the horizontal division. I also liked the "Marquette" arching on the top and "University" arching on the bottom more than I like the "Marquette University" arching across the top. I like the inclusion of AMDG more than the old "Numen Flumenque". To that end, I would have liked them to just go with the abbreviation and make it smaller like they had with the old Latin motto (perhaps within the red/gold sector). Visually, I like the rivers/rice more than the old Pere Marquette canoe. I kind of liked the wolves - I'll miss them.

I agree with most of this, except I think the whole rivers section is pretty generic compared to the badass depiction of Pere Marquette in the outgoing seal.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2022, 04:51:15 PM »
It's not bad.

I was expecting a lot worse give the number of and diverse interests of the committee members that put it together.

I was worried that it might look like the backs of the jerseys that we had awhile back that included every Marquette basketball trope (including a picture of Al).
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2022, 04:58:37 PM »
If they hadn't gone public, 3 people might have noticed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2022, 05:23:22 PM »
Um, look ^
Thank you.  When I see 11 pages on the subject, I need people like you to direct me.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
Will they also be removing the picture from the library that inspired the first seal?

Unfortunately none of this historical context matters.  All that matters is the five-second unthinking emotional reaction you have to the seal.

Should the painting also come down? 

Père Jacques Marquette meeting with American Indians during his 1673 expedition. Father Marquette stands in a canoe with two American Indian guides. The Mississippi River and bluffs are behind him. Oil painting owned by the Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art, Marquette University.

The image is taken from an 1869 Wilhelm Lamprecht painting, “Father Marquette and the Indians,” gifted to the university soon after its founding. The Lamprecht painting can be seen on the second floor of the Raynor Memorial Libraries.

According to a paper by university archivist Mark Thiel, scholars  identified the native voyagers in the original painting as Metis, or men of mixed French and Native American ancestry who helped guide Marquette in present-day Wisconsin along with villages of Mascoutin or Illinois and Miami Native Americans.

The seal comes under criticism, however, as some members of the Marquette community argue the full painting differs significantly from the cropped version on the seal, resulting in an image that communicates dominance for Father Marquette over the Native American figure.

“The painting depicts Father Marquette essentially asking directions from a standing Native American,” Tol Foster, a professor in the English department who specializes in American Indian studies, said in an email. “The standing Native American is cut out of the seal, such that instead of asking for directions, Pere Marquette seems to be telling the Indian steering his canoe where to go, which is amusing if you consider that the person least likely to know directions in this strange new land would have been the explorer himself.”

Foster uses the seal in his classes to explore Native American representation. Similarly, Jodi Melamed, an associate professor of English and Africana Studies, incorporates the image into Marquette courses she teaches to focus on race and ethnic studies.

“Where Father Marquette is active and commanding, the Native figure appears passive and subservient,” Melamed said. “It’s the classic colonialist and white supremacist division of humanity being represented: the white Jesuit provides the direction, he’s the brains of the outfit, the Native person provides the labor and follows the white person’s lead.”

Others perceive the university’s depiction of Native Americans differently. Jacqueline Schram, faculty advisor of Marquette’s Native American Student Association, sees the image as an inspiration of reflection and hope that Marquette can work to improve its focus on Native American issues and students.

“For me, the Native American in our seal serves as both a source of pride and compass,” Schram said in an email. “The decision to indelibly etch the historic relationship between the First Peoples of Wisconsin and Father Marquette pays homage to the interdependency and inspires a sense of hope that this can be once again.”
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #262 on: February 28, 2022, 06:45:46 PM »
I agree with most of this, except I think the whole rivers section is pretty generic compared to the badass depiction of Pere Marquette in the outgoing seal.

badass?  lol

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:21 PM »
Will they also be removing the picture from the library that inspired the first seal?

One is art, the other is a logo.

Art will always be fine when there is context.  Just like the statues taken away from public squares and placed in museums are fine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2022, 08:20:31 PM »
Typical product of a committee...sucks ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
The wolves are from the Coat of arms of the Loyola family in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.

Specifically, the generosity of the House of Loyola (having enough to even give the wolves).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2022, 09:36:36 PM »
I’m so outraged.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2022, 06:28:21 AM »
Mite as well bee kalled Pussay University with a wet, harey kat as our maskot, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2022, 06:50:16 AM »
Nah.  The students are being toughened up by all the gunplay.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2022, 07:08:59 AM »
Mite as well bee kalled Pussay University with a wet, harey kat as our maskot, aina?

Why?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:12 AM »
Typical product of a committee...sucks ass, hey?

If anything, I’d say the previous one looks like it was designed by a committee. To me this one looks much cleaner. I’m pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Onto the next thing to get up in arms about.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2022, 07:29:34 AM »
If anything, I’d say the previous one looks like it was designed by a committee. To me this one looks much cleaner. I’m pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Onto the next thing to get up in arms about.

The usual snowflakes will complain like always

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »
Push back on cancel culture. No place for history in today's world. If you don't like it, cancel and poof it never existed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2022, 10:09:23 AM »
Push back on cancel culture. No place for history in today's world. If you don't like it, cancel and poof it never existed, hey?

Yeah people in history have never canceled things they didn't like. But you're right because it effects you now it means it never happened before. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejection_of_Jesus#Rejection_as_the_Jewish_messiah

https://www.history.com/.amp/this-day-in-history/martin-luther-excommunicated

https://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/the-truth-about-galileo-and-his-conflict-with-the-catholic-church
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback