Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Porter Moser should be the guy  (Read 70737 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Porter Moser should be the guy
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
I’ve seen the numbers and I understand the hesitation.

I’m not quite sure if he will be able to recruit at the elite level necessary.

I’m fairly certain that if he can he will succeed at Marquette and we would all be very happy with him and his product.

He’s the right man at the right time.
He’s the perfect age.
He’s a local guy who’s ok with staying at one place for a long long time.
He’s got the Jesuit background and experience.
He seems like a good guy that runs a clean ship.
He coaches with an intense passion and he sure as hell knows how to coach an amazing defense.
His guys seem to improve tremendously and play like they would run through a wall for him.

He’s no sure thing, no one is. He’s managed to do a heckuva lot with the little he’s been given at Loyola, and he would be given much more at Marquette.

I’ve become enamored with the idea of a big name like John Beilein or even Rick Pitino because of the prospect of lightning in a bottle and immediate success, but the more I think about it the more I realize that Porter Moser is the guy Marquette needs and Marquette is the step up that he deserves.

Come on down Porter and let’s get to work.

We Are Marquette.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Porter Moser should be the guy
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
I’ve seen the numbers and I understand the hesitation.

I’m not quite sure if he will be able to recruit at the elite level necessary.

I’m fairly certain that if he can he will succeed at Marquette and we would all be very happy with him and his product.

He’s the right man at the right time.
He’s the perfect age.
He’s a local guy who’s ok with staying at one place for a long long time.
He’s got the Jesuit background and experience.
He seems like a good guy that runs a clean ship.
He coaches with an intense passion and he sure as hell knows how to coach an amazing defense.
His guys seem to improve tremendously and play like they would run through a wall for him.

He’s no sure thing, no one is. He’s managed to do a heckuva lot with the little he’s been given at Loyola, and he would be given much more at Marquette.

I’ve become enamored with the idea of a big name like John Beilein or even Rick Pitino because of the prospect of lightning in a bottle and immediate success, but the more I think about it the more I realize that Porter Moser is the guy Marquette needs and Marquette is the step up that he deserves.

Come on down Porter and let’s get to work.

We Are Marquette.

Will this change if Loyola blows a double-digit lead this afternoon?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »

Honest question: After watching 15 minutes of Loyola vs Illinois do you have any doubt that Moser would coach circles around Wojo?

They may lose, sure - Illinois is loaded AND well coached. But this Loyola team is VERY well coached. Period.

burger

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
NO......

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
Honest question: After watching 15 minutes of Loyola vs Illinois do you have any doubt that Moser would coach circles around Wojo?

They may lose, sure - Illinois is loaded AND well coached. But this Loyola team is VERY well coached. Period.

Zero, Lenny.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 11:53:34 AM »
This Loyola team woulda kicked Marquette's ass this season.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »
This Loyola team woulda kicked Marquette's ass this season.
Absolutely

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »

No, but being a better game coach than Wojo shouldn't be where Marquette sets the bar for its next hire.
I'm pretty sure no here is questioning Moser's coaching ability.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
This Loyola team would have been near the top of the BE this season.  I get some of the hesitancy around Moser, but this is a really well coached team and the talent isn’t terrible by any stretch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
Agree Loyola would’ve beat MU this year. They are very disciplined. They take care of the ball. Love their defense. Notice their crisp passing too. Passes are delivered in rhythm at the correct spot for the receiver. MU passing this season was terrible - hardly ever spot on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 11:59:03 AM »

We don't need Moser to coach circles around Wojo, Lenny. Wojo is yesterday's news. We need to figure out if Moser can coach circles around the 10 other Big East coaches.

He made a a pretty good case in the first half today. Loyola got a good look at the basket on almost every possession: wide-open 3s, paint touches, high-percentage shots, excellent passes, solid screens. And on defense, they are making a very, very talented Illinois team work.

I am looking forward to seeing the adjustments both Moser and Underwood make for the second half.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »
No, but being a better game coach than Wojo shouldn't be where Marquette sets the bar for its next hire.
I'm pretty sure no here is questioning Moser's coaching ability.

He’s not just better, he’s WAY better. I doubt they’ll hold on, they’re seriously outmanned. But their offensive and defensive game plan (and its execution) were a thing of beauty in that first half.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
This game is why I didn't think Illinois would escape the first weekend. Loyola looks good, but this is a PERFECT matchup for them. Everything they do is exactly what kills Illinois. Seriously, look at the Haslametrics page:

https://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=735

Moser has a good team this year. He had a good team in 2018. What happened in between? What about the rest of his career? He's fine, but behind Smart & Gates, IMO.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »
This game is why I didn't think Illinois would escape the first weekend. Loyola looks good, but this is a PERFECT matchup for them. Everything they do is exactly what kills Illinois. Seriously, look at the Haslametrics page:

Moser has a good team this year. He had a good team in 2018. What happened in between? What about the rest of his career? He's fine, but behind Smart & Gates, IMO.

Yea Illinois is a perfect matchup for them.  This is the same Loyola team that got handled completely by Wisconsin and lost to Richmond.  He’s a very good coach, he’s not a complete slam dunk

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:45 PM »
Yea Illinois is a perfect matchup for them.  This is the same Loyola team that got handled completely by Wisconsin and lost to Richmond.  He’s a very good coach, he’s not a complete slam dunk

True. And Texas is the same team that got handled by Abilene Christian a few hours ago and has won 5 fewer NCAA tournament games than Loyola has the last 6 years.

All bad matchups for Texas and good matchups for Loyola?

I seriously don't know the answer to that question. Maybe Shaka's just super unlucky and Moser is the luckiest man around.

Looking forward to this second half.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

burger

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »

Getting two assistants that are "great recruiters" and bring an assistant or two that knows his "system and culture"......And you do have a slam dunk......

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 12:15:15 PM »
in all seriousness, I think Moser is the perfect guy...for Loyola. I like him and am a big fan of us and hope he hits bank and has great success at Loyola. We are in a position, at least for the moment, that we appear to have higher level options and we should pursue all of them. As I said about Wojo last year, aside from MU or DePaul, who else is chasing after Moser. I want to chase guys the big boys chase and not pick a guy because he is a great guy, local guy and spent time with Rick.

I strongly believe that MU might, and I say might, be able to land a much better option this time around. That could change in two days, but right now it sounds that there may be real interest from better options.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »

Smart I’ll give you.

Gates I don’t understand. He had two “good” years, but neither of those were as good as Mosers good years. The volume isn’t there and I don’t quite get why he’s all of a sudden considered an elite can’t miss coach. He’s not what shaka was when he went to Texas.

Maybe I’m missing something on Gates but I’m not sure what it is I’m missing

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 12:18:04 PM »

Actually I think I would prefer if the Illini come back and pull off a win because the MU can get on the phone sooner.

Also another super deep run by Loyola would make Moser much more desirable to other programs

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »
Surely Moser has to be a clear cut favorite of all the names bandied around here, simply because he "covets" the job as somebody reported and At very least, he is the best fit with his experience and with the possibility to be attained of the names bandisd. Question would be, can MU even land him, because bigger programs may already be whispering to him.
The guy can coach. So now let the naysayers chirp.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »
True. And Texas is the same team that got handled by Abilene Christian a few hours ago and has won 5 fewer NCAA tournament games than Loyola has the last 6 years.

All bad matchups for Texas and good matchups for Loyola?

I seriously don't know the answer to that question. Maybe Shaka's just super unlucky and Moser is the luckiest man around.

Looking forward to this second half.

Abilene was always a terrible matchup for Texas. The WSJ upset index had Abilene as the #1 potential upset in the first round, heck even I mentioned as soon as the lines came out that Abilene at +9 looked great. I’m not saying I predicted they’d outright win, but there was definitely signs there based on similar type defenses Texas played in the regular season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »
Smart I’ll give you.

Gates I don’t understand. He had two “good” years, but neither of those were as good as Mosers good years. The volume isn’t there and I don’t quite get why he’s all of a sudden considered an elite can’t miss coach. He’s not what shaka was when he went to Texas.

Maybe I’m missing something on Gates but I’m not sure what it is I’m missing

Gates is a high ceiling type of candidate.  You could be buying low on a guy who has a great trajectory up.  It’s a risk, no doubt.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »
He’s not just better, he’s WAY better. I doubt they’ll hold on, they’re seriously outmanned. But their offensive and defensive game plan (and its execution) were a thing of beauty in that first half.

LT: Is Moser a better coach?
P: Yes, he's a better coach
LT: Wrong! He's WAY better.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
DoctorV

Moser is not an unknown commodity and top programs have not been knocking down his door the past couple of seasons. Some guys are great fits and certain schools and I think Loyola is perfect for him. I hope he wins out this season and is the toast of Chicago and returns to Loyola to defend his NC. That would be great story.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
in all seriousness, I think Moser is the perfect guy...for Loyola. I like him and am a big fan of us and hope he hits bank and has great success at Loyola. We are in a position, at least for the moment, that we appear to have higher level options and we should pursue all of them. As I said about Wojo last year, aside from MU or DePaul, who else is chasing after Moser. I want to chase guys the big boys chase and not pick a guy because he is a great guy, local guy and spent time with Rick.

I strongly believe that MU might, and I say might, be able to land a much better option this time around. That could change in two days, but right now it sounds that there may be real interest from better options.

I used to think this way too, but I think I’ve come to the conclusion that Moser wouldn’t be a “settle” option and that he has advantages, some of which I listed above, that the big names don’t.

St John’s was interested recently according to reports, and my guess is several more high programs will be interested this time around.

There are times in life where the right answer is the obvious one that’s staring you in the face, and that’s what I think this scenario with Moser is.

feedback