[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Porter Moser should be the guy  (Read 70750 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Porter Moser should be the guy
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »
This game is why I didn't think Illinois would escape the first weekend. Loyola looks good, but this is a PERFECT matchup for them. Everything they do is exactly what kills Illinois. Seriously, look at the Haslametrics page:

https://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=735

Moser has a good team this year. He had a good team in 2018. What happened in between? What about the rest of his career? He's fine, but behind Smart & Gates, IMO.
C'mon Btew. Smart would be a possibility, but what about his cost, and could he even be attracted here?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
Porter Moser should be the first, second and third call made by Marquette in its search for the next coach.  According to Jeff Goodman Moser “covets” the job.  If he hasn’t proven enough with these recent NCAA tourney performances, you simply will never be convinced.  This guy is the real deal and I’d love to see him on the MU sideline!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 12:24:51 PM »
Actually I think I would prefer if the Illini come back and pull off a win because the MU can get on the phone sooner.

Also another super deep run by Loyola would make Moser much more desirable to other programs
If MU admin has any smarts, they are already backchanneling talking to Mosers confidants.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 12:25:14 PM »
Smart I’ll give you.

Gates I don’t understand. He had two “good” years, but neither of those were as good as Mosers good years. The volume isn’t there and I don’t quite get why he’s all of a sudden considered an elite can’t miss coach. He’s not what shaka was when he went to Texas.

Maybe I’m missing something on Gates but I’m not sure what it is I’m missing

We know Gates can recruit. He was a great recruiter at FSU for teams we would love to emulate. Short track record, but his 151-spot improvement in kenpom from year 1 to year 2 is massive.

Like Goose said, I think Moser is perfect for where he's at. I'm not sure he's a HM coach.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »
Might be a case of “don’t overthink it stupid”. Hopefully he’s not just leaking that to Goodman for a bargaining chip though.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
Getting two assistants that are "great recruiters" and bring an assistant or two that knows his "system and culture"......And you do have a slam dunk......

And those assistants are just hanging on trees?  Dude plays slow down, grind ball (albeit very well coached) and has never coached at the highest level. The assumption that he will just bring in stellar recruiters and great assistants to make the leap is a big stretch.

Every one raving about Moser will be tearing out their hair when all the recruits and talent leave and MU averages 55 pts a game in this first 2 rough years of a rebuild.  Nobody in our system signed up to play UVA style basketball

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »
brad

Brian Wardle covets the MU job, Tony Barone coveted the MU job, as did Dick Vercase and I am glad MU did not hire any of these guys. There have been countless guys chase this job over the past forty years and there will be more down the line. Hire the best guy when you have a chance.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 12:34:06 PM »
Those guys did covet the job, but they don’t have the resume of Porter Moser!  I also think this guy would be in for the long haul.  I don’t want to worry about the next coach using us as a “stepping stone.”

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »

I strongly believe that MU might, and I say might, be able to land a much better option this time around. That could change in two days, but right now it sounds that there may be real interest from better options.

Who???
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
Please hire Moser.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
Yes I’m being a bit of a prisoner of the moment, but between watching his adjustments vs Tech and this gameplan/execution today Moser should be our top candidate.

Also for the record if we hire Crean I’m out
No Finish Line

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 12:38:04 PM »
Honest question: After watching 15 minutes of Loyola vs Illinois do you have any doubt that Moser would coach circles around Wojo?

They may lose, sure - Illinois is loaded AND well coached. But this Loyola team is VERY well coached. Period.

Agree 100%. Loyola players are well coached.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 12:38:42 PM »
Yes I’m being a bit of a prisoner of the moment, but between watching his adjustments vs Tech and this gameplan/execution today Moser should be our top candidate.

Also for the record if we hire Crean I’m out

😂😂

Moser is my pick as well.

burger

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2021, 12:39:03 PM »
Are you guys actually not watching.....What the result of "real coaching" does for whatever talent you have......This is a collection of 3 stars that are giving Illinois everything it can handle......

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
brad

Brian Wardle covets the MU job, Tony Barone coveted the MU job, as did Dick Vercase and I am glad MU did not hire any of these guys. There have been countless guys chase this job over the past forty years and there will be more down the line. Hire the best guy when you have a chance.
C'mon Goose. Hope that is true but there are not too many reasonable ones out there. Who do you think they would be?

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
Yea Illinois is a perfect matchup for them.  This is the same Loyola team that got handled completely by Wisconsin and lost to Richmond.  He’s a very good coach, he’s not a complete slam dunk
NO one is a complete slam dunk.  NO one is perfect.  We need to be reasonable.

If Stan and Dwayne did all the heavy lifting in terms of recruiting, what did Wojo contribute other than hugging players that underachieved?

Moser or Shaka

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »
😂😂

Moser is my pick as well.
Please tell me your info on Crean didn’t sound super firm. Please??
No Finish Line

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
Moser is a better coach than Smart or Gates, and it isn't even a debate.  Arguing otherwise is great comedy.

Moser would be a grand slam. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
How many people drooling over Moser “coveting” the MU job according to second or third hand media sources made fun of Crean and “It’s Indiana!”

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Only problem with Gates compared to Moser is the lack of track record and final four.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »
There is ZERO chance Marquette brings Crean back.  Z-E-R-O.  Why is anyone worried about that guy coming back?  It’s not happening.  Lol

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »
Moser is a better coach than Smart or Gates, and it isn't even a debate.  Arguing otherwise is great comedy.

Moser would be a grand slam.

Determining Moser is a great coach on the basis of 2 good seasons or even 1 good game is also great comedy. What about the last 2 years? What about all the years before the unexpected Final 4 run?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
There is ZERO chance Marquette brings Crean back.  Z-E-R-O.  Why is anyone worried about that guy coming back?  It’s not happening.  Lol
Thank you. This is what I needed to read
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »

I don't think it will happen but based on what I've heard it certainly isn't zero percent.

feedback