2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Can Keep Shaka  (Read 7910 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Texas Can Keep Shaka
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 11:55:04 PM »
I hate Shaka....well actually I think he’s turned the corner...I hate Shaka again.

You’ve played both sides of Shaka....so....you’re right on hiring/firing/loving/hating/ him. Congrats. Blame it on the wife!

You know what, WRFF ... you're right about a lot of that.

But sorry, when you have your best team ever and you are finally gonna prove you are a P6 coach, you can't lose to a D2 team full of midgets. And the way they lost, by getting totally outworked, yes, it changes the equation.

Oh, and Mrs. Shaka can keep enjoying life wherever hubby ends up. I assume it won't be Austin, and I hope it won't be Milwaukee.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 11:55:20 PM »
I guess a revision is needed:

NoTaShaka NoTaShaka NoTaShaka

Scoop Der it iz Scoop Der it iz
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
Shaka's time in Texas hasn't been stellar.  I'm not saying he would be my first choice but I think he would do well att MU.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 11:58:38 PM »

But sorry, when you have your best team ever and you are finally gonna prove you are a P6 coach, you can't lose to a D2 team full of midgets. And the way they lost, by getting totally outworked, yes, it changes the equation.

Oh, and Mrs. Shaka can keep enjoying life wherever hubby ends up. I assume it won't be Austin, and I hope it won't be Milwaukee.
Well.. at least you’ll have covered you bases. Can’t lose.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 11:59:31 PM »

There's no doubt it was a an atrocious loss but I would appreciate if you didn't belittle diminutive people.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 12:01:44 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 12:01:10 AM »
Fun fact:

ACU's backcourt weighs significantly less than Davante circa 2011-2013. :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 12:01:42 AM »
Texas Tech turned it over on 25% of their possessions against ACU. The Wildcats were #1 in defensive turnover percentage. That said, Shaka's teams are really weird historically in offensive turnover rate. In 12 seasons, they have been in the top-90 of TO% 9 times. The other three they've been sub-230. That's weird.

ACU was a top-100 team. Wojo lost guarantee games to sub-250 Nebraska-Omaha at home. Not to mention all the DePaul losses, the Belmont loss, the Georgetown loss...this wouldn't make Wojo's top-5.

Shaka still has 7 NCAA wins & a NIT Championship. I'm not sure he's the best choice, but he's definitely not the worst. His teams are always strong defensively & he's a great recruiter. Between Jones' cancer, Roach's injury, and Hayes going from sub-100 recruit to one-and-done, he's had some terrible luck too. Maybe that's karma for his Final Four run, but I'd still be excited to get him.

I appreciate the data you provide, brew.

I'm gonna disagree that a regular-season loss to DePaul is as bad as an NCAA tournament loss to a 14-seed that was playing D2 ball just a few years ago.

And while you're right about Shaka's bad luck in past seasons, he had a loaded team this year. There is no way to spin that loss IMHO.

Add in the fact that he already said F-U to Marquette once ... and his NCAA tournament success a decade ago doesn't impress me very much.

Having said all that, if Scholl suddenly decides that NCAA tournament success isn't really important and hires Shaka, I will support him, just as I supported Wojo for most of his time at Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 12:03:07 AM »
There's no doubt it was a an atrocious loss but I would appreciate if you didn't belittle diminutive people.  :)

Love it.

Short people DO have reason to live, Muggs!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 12:05:11 AM »

I'm gonna disagree that a regular-season loss to DePaul is as bad as an NCAA tournament loss to a 14-seed that was playing D2 ball just a few years ago.

And while you're right about Shaka's bad luck in past seasons, he had a loaded team this year. There is no way to spin that loss IMHO.

Add in the fact that he already said F-U to Marquette once ... and his NCAA tournament success a decade ago doesn't impress me very much.

Having said all that, if Scholl suddenly decides that NCAA tournament success isn't really important and hires Shaka, I will support him, just as I supported Wojo for most of his time at Marquette.

I disagree.  That team isn't pretty but they're tough.  I can't imagine how many turns we would have had against them.  They're 25-4 MU82.  That means something even in a poor conference.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 12:05:50 AM »

At least Shaka lost in the tournament. Losing to DePaul in 2016, 2018, and 2021 killed Marquette's chances of even playing in it.

The difference is Wojo never had a team good enough to lose this kind of game. He lost worse games in the season to prevent the opportunity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »

I agree. I do not think Shaka is the best option, but if he is hired as the coach I will support him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 12:11:18 AM »
At least Shaka lost in the tournament. Losing to DePaul in 2016, 2018, and 2021 killed Marquette's chances of even playing in it.

The difference is Wojo never had a team good enough to lose this kind of game. He lost worse games in the season to prevent the opportunity.

This is a silly argument, brew. Wojo actually had two teams who were good enough to lose NCAA tournament games. He lost one to an eventual Final Four team that was playing in front of a home crowd, and he lost the other to a team led by a player who would be the NBA rookie of the year the following season.

But all that actually sucks, and I can admit it.

Shaka just lost to a team of height-challenged players -- not a one of them who would get a Texas scholly -- at a school that was D2 just 8 years ago. In the process, he was out-coached, his team was outworked, and he had no answers.

8 years, zero NCAA tournament wins.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »
Shaka still has 7 NCAA wins & a NIT Championship.

His last NCAA win was 2013.  Ick.  Oddly, that's also the last year MU had a NCAA tourney win.  So, perfect match.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:30 AM »
If we cannot get the home run candidates and we go the mid-major head coach route I honestly think there are 5+ really good candidates.

Moser and Kelsey would be my top 2 but I'm no expert.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:52 AM »

You goofed on Shaka every chance you could go years. Then he succeeded. Then you backed off your Schick.
Flavor of the day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2021, 12:16:47 AM »
You goofed on Shaka every chance you could go years. Then he succeeded. Then you backed off your Schick.
Flavor of the day.

Cool story.

So you would hire Shaka? He is your top choice?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 12:20:08 AM »
Cool story.

Who would you hire?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:39 AM »
Who would you hire?

I'd take a run at Beilein, as long as we don't have to hire his son as coach-in-waiting. Beyond that, I admit I honestly don't know. I don't follow these other guys closely enough. Folks I respect like Gates, but I've seen about 10 seconds of Cleveland State basketball. Others I respect like Moser or Kelsey or Smith, but I just don't know enough about what they do.

I'll support whoever we hire, even Shaka. But I have to say that I'm not fond of the idea of firing a guy because he couldn't win an NCAA tournament game in 7 years and turning around and hiring a guy who couldn't win an NCAA tournament game in 8 years - capped by an epic loss to a school that was in D2 just a few years ago. Not to mention he already spurned us once.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 12:29:07 AM »
The problem is there are no "home run" hires that MU can realistically make. Every one of them is a gamble.

Gates, Moser, but are unproven gambles at this level.

If Shaka is even available (I think it is likely). Shaka, has proven success, but has struggled at Texas. Moreover, the criticisms of him at Texas are the same as the criticisms of Wojo. Unable to coach an offense, guards standing around, playing 1 on 1 with no identity. Unprepared for games...needs a x's and o's bench coach. Seems odd to fire Wojo and then bring in Shaka.

The advantage of Shaka is instant name recognition, possibly retain some of the core players this year, and easier to recruit transfers. Would he put a established x's and o's coach on the bench with him?

Honestly, glad I'm not the one having to sort through all of this. Probably one of the more important hires at MU in a while, and really a difficult decision. So unless Pitino is walking through the door, this is going to be a tough call and a lot of people will be unhappy no matter what.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 12:30:06 AM »
Cool story.

I would defer to you. You have followed Shaka’s ups and downs for years like a school girl left at the prom. And then when Shaka found success....you said you know what? I would certainly love to have the recent success that Shaka has had at Texas. So I guess the real question is Shaka YOUR top choice? You have followed him closer than any other scooper...no question.
He’s not my guy...but your infatuation for the guy is...well...odd.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 12:30:40 AM »
The problem is there are no "home run" hires that MU can realistically make. Every one of them is a gamble.

Gates, Moser, but are unproven gambles at this level.

If Shaka is even available (I think it is likely). Shaka, has proven success, but has struggled at Texas. Moreover, the criticisms of him at Texas are the same as the criticisms of Wojo. Unable to coach an offense, guards standing around, playing 1 on 1 with no identity. Unprepared for games...needs a x's and o's bench coach. Seems odd to fire Wojo and then bring in Shaka.

The advantage of Shaka is instant name recognition, possibly retain some of the core players this year, and easier to recruit transfers. Would he put a established x's and o's coach on the bench with him?

Honestly, glad I'm not the one having to sort through all of this. Probably one of the more important hires at MU in a while, and really a difficult decision. So unless Pitino is walking through the door, this is going to be a tough call and a lot of people will be unhappy no matter what.

A very reasonable take, and I'm exactly with you on your last paragraph.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2021, 12:31:25 AM »
I would defer to you. You have followed Shaka’s ups and downs for years like a school girl left at the prom. And then when Shaka found success....you said you know what? I would certainly love to have the recent success that Shaka has had at Texas. So I guess the real question is Shaka YOUR top choice? You have followed him closer than any other scooper...no question.
He’s not my guy...but your infatuation for the guy is...well...odd.

Have a nice evening. I wish good health and good fortune to you and your family.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2021, 12:36:16 AM »
Who will get the Indiana job and will that impact us?  Is there some dark horse sorta left-field candidate we may be considering?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2021, 12:40:05 AM »
Who will get the Indiana job and will that impact us?  Is there some dark horse sorta left-field candidate we may be considering?

Shaka

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »
Have a nice evening. I wish good health and good fortune to you and your family.
Classic.
You have hundreds of posts regarding Shaka. It was your favorite pastime for years....More than any other scooper....until he started winning. You can’t deny that.
Don’t ever mention my family again. Cool? Ever.
You’re not anonymous.

feedback