Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91800 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #625 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
I wonder how much of the "Shaka" isn't even candidate, couldn't get the job talk is a result of possibly "false advertising".

If MU wants to target Shaka, it behoves them to convince Texas they are not interested, especially if TX is looking for an out on the buyout, or was hoping a MU would be willing to pay a buyout they could use to buy a new coach.

Could be part of a game of chicken. If so, Goodman may have more inside info than we think, as MU would be trading intel. Could mean Moser number 1, Shaka a close 2nd.

So now it's Marquette, not Wojo, playing the mind games
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #626 on: March 25, 2021, 09:36:07 AM »
I wonder how much of the "Shaka" isn't even candidate, couldn't get the job talk is a result of possibly "false advertising".

If MU wants to target Shaka, it behoves them to convince Texas they are not interested, especially if TX is looking for an out on the buyout, or was hoping a MU would be willing to pay a buyout they could use to buy a new coach.

Could be part of a game of chicken. If so, Goodman may have more inside info than we think, as MU would be trading intel. Could mean Moser number 1, Shaka a close 2nd.

Or, it could mean...stay with me here...Shaka isn't even a candidate. I suspect we'll never know.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #627 on: March 25, 2021, 09:36:47 AM »

If MU wants Shaka, Shaka wants MU, and Texas wants to be free of Shaka, it would be in the best interest of all parties to simply negotiate all of the buyouts down to more reasonable levels.  Could that be happening how?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #628 on: March 25, 2021, 09:38:20 AM »

If MU wants Shaka, Shaka wants MU, and Texas wants to be free of Shaka, it would be in the best interest of all parties to simply negotiate all of the buyouts down to more reasonable levels.  Could that be happening how?

Almost anything could be happening. We always want rumors, but hot dang, having an AD and actual process means we arent even getting breadcrumbs!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #629 on: March 25, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
Or, it could mean...stay with me here...Shaka isn't even a candidate. I suspect we'll never know.

I'm not saying my scenario is more plausible. More just I wouldn't read too much into what the pundits or rumor mill says. They are part of the game.

Shaka very well may not be a target because of his lack of success at TX.

But, if he is a target, MU needs TX to either remove or pay the $7M dollar buyout. And contrary to the sentiment here on TX boosters having plenty of money, a lot of those people have been tapped for the football buyout and for their new basketball stadium, so not as deep of a pool as needed, and some may prefer to wait a year and bring in a big name new coach to open up the new stadium.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #630 on: March 25, 2021, 09:39:49 AM »
https://www.pscp.tv/w/cys1qDEzMDY1OTAzfDFsRHhMcGFZRFh6eG0orQzrlW6Z8vojO-fNhmYTp0zMLOd17pztUxRo1nhg1Q==?t=44m2s

They talked MU and Moser. (I wanna say around 37min?

Doug gottlieb was on and Trigger Warning. He kinda goes on a rant about the BEast. But also talks about MUBB great culture and his love for MKE and Mike Deane. 

Goodman is firm and believes PM is going to be the next MUBB coach to the point that he’s rubbing his head in disgust when someone disagrees.

Dauster believes moser stays at Loyola.

Deane was trying to bring in Gottlieb as a transfer but the MU administration vetoed that considering the circumstances of his departure from ND.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #631 on: March 25, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JakeBarnes

• All American

DefinitelyNotPorterMoser

• Walk-On
« Reply #634 on: March 25, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »
Worth mentioning

https://twitter.com/adamzagoria/status/1375091434789933061?s=21

I can't stand it when media types do this. Either you have the scoop or you don't. Don't dip your toe in the water then tell everyone the next day you jumped in the pool with your clothes on.

No crap the carousel will take a turn in the next day or two. Some coach somewhere is going to be hired.

FWIW, Zags is sometimes around the Knicks program, so this could be Kenny Payne to DePaul (or even Mike Woodson to Indiana).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #635 on: March 25, 2021, 09:59:19 AM »

He really does, and he's made that clear over the last few days, from what I have been told.

Still think it's Moser's if he wants it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #636 on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »
So if Shaka comes to MU will Mrs Shaka be joining him given her disdain for Wisconsin?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #637 on: March 25, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »
So if Shaka comes to MU will Mrs Shaka be joining him given her disdain for Wisconsin?

My sources tell me that Mrs. Shaka's doctor recently told her she needs more cheese curds in her diet ... so yes!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #638 on: March 25, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
I can't stand it when media types do this. Either you have the scoop or you don't. Don't dip your toe in the water then tell everyone the next day you jumped in the pool with your clothes on.

No crap the carousel will take a turn in the next day or two. Some coach somewhere is going to be hired.

FWIW, Zags is sometimes around the Knicks program, so this could be Kenny Payne to DePaul (or even Mike Woodson to Indiana).

No, he’s saying an unannounced opening will drop shortly
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #639 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »

If you're MU, you are clearly the best Job for Shaka. Shaka won't go to IU. Why would MU negotiate with UT? Unless they are afraid that he wont come here if hes fire there is no reason for MU to spend that amount. Just give Shaka 1/2 of that amount to come to MU

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #640 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
No, he’s saying an unannounced opening will drop shortly

Gotta think Texas or Maryland right? Beard is out of the tourney, so might get things moving with Texas.

It sort of feels like Shaka won’t be the coach at Texas next year whether he gets MU or not. So Texas is waiting on MU’s decision to see if it’s fire Shaka or waive/negotiate a buyout.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #641 on: March 25, 2021, 10:08:25 AM »
He really does, and he's made that clear over the last few days, from what I have been told.

Still think it's Moser's if he wants it.

I'm guessing Wojo really would have wanted a high major job close to where he had grown up if one was open last Thursday as well.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #642 on: March 25, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
I’d be happy with all 4 mentioned. I think Shaka is my favorite and would have us back to the level we need quicker.

I think Moser might be the best long-term fit, but we’d need some patience with him. He seems to be very deliberate in building his culture, and won’t take shortcuts. In the videos I’ve watched, he talks most about culture and Majerus.

I also think Moser’s style of play is so different from Wojo, it will take time to get his players in. I do think Garcia would be fantastic in the Krutwig role.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #643 on: March 25, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
I'm guessing Wojo really would have wanted a high major job close to where he had grown up if one was open last Thursday as well.

Saturday morning 16 and under team needs a coach at the Baltimore Y, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #644 on: March 25, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
I’d be happy with all 4 mentioned. I think Shaka is my favorite and would have us back to the level we need quicker.

I think Moser might be the best long-term fit, but we’d need some patience with him. He seems to be very deliberate in building his culture, and won’t take shortcuts. In the videos I’ve watched, he talks most about culture and Majerus.

I also think Moser’s style of play is so different from Wojo, it will take time to get his players in. I do think Garcia would be fantastic in the Krutwig role.

The good news is that if it is one of these two, both coaches recognize the need to add to their staff to fill their blindsides/coaching deficiencies. Which is a lot more than we can say about the previous HC. Really excited to hear some news soon!

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #645 on: March 25, 2021, 10:26:31 AM »

I'd agree he would look good there in that role, however I think Garcia is rightfully looking for the best system to showcase himself for the next level. I don't see back to the basket 5 in his NBA Future. He had a pretty good role under Wojo.  IMO he will have to showcase he can switch onto 3's as well as do the perimeter offensive stuff he showed this year to have an NBA spot. Doesn't seem to fit or project to the NBA center role right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #646 on: March 25, 2021, 10:29:46 AM »

Indeed he would be!

And on the time front, agreed he's more of a slow build, but with the free transfer rule this year could implant some of his current guys (like soph PG Norris) to jump start the process

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #647 on: March 25, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
I'd agree he would look good there in that role, however I think Garcia is rightfully looking for the best system to showcase himself for the next level. I don't see back to the basket 5 in his NBA Future. He had a pretty good role under Wojo.  IMO he will have to showcase he can switch onto 3's as well as do the perimeter offensive stuff he showed this year to have an NBA spot. Doesn't seem to fit or project to the NBA center role right now.

Agreed. DG wants to play at the next level. An old school center is not the role he'd want to showcase if he wants to do that. Garcia projects at a 3-4 in the next level assuming his shot improves and he gets stronger/more explosive.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #648 on: March 25, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
Almost anything could be happening. We always want rumors, but hot dang, having an AD and actual process means we arent even getting breadcrumbs!
The MU guy who was the source of all leaks in years past has moved on to a new job. We all truly miss him.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #649 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
Love listening to Moser. He exudes confidence and enthusiasm. Will be successful at any basketball stop. For MU, he's just what the doctor ordered. Would love to be at his introductory presser,  hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"