'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91616 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2021, 12:22:03 AM »
This aged poorly

The last sentence did, that's for sure. I just thought it was impossible for an absolutely loaded Texas team to lose to a team full of tiny, talent-shy players. Silly me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2021, 12:25:30 AM »
The last sentence did, that's for sure. I just thought it was impossible for an absolutely loaded Texas team to lose to a team full of tiny, talent-shy players. Silly me.

Maybe it was the Texas coaching.

/ducks/

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #452 on: March 21, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »
Old article but a good one. Warning: It is a long read. Never underestimate a Jesuit connection. #smoke

https://www.mlive.com/projects/john-beilein/

My draft board currently reads:

1. Beilein
2. Matta
3. Shaka
4. Moser
5. Kelsey
6. Craig Smith
7. Gates
8. Surprise HC
9. Up and coming Assistant
106. Jon Scheyer
111. Mbakwe
137. Dukiet’s Reincarnated Body
138. Tom Crean
781. Ners

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
The more I think about Beilein, the less I think he's the guy. I just think that thugs business with the Cavs is really going to hamper him on the recruiting trail
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

GOO

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 21, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
I’d be fine with Crean. He wouldn’t be halfway out the door every year at this time. That being said, this is at his MO, so he could have no interest in our job and just be using it as leverage or to say see others want me, just like he did every year at MU.

The constant rumors of him leaving definitely hurt recruiting, in my opinion. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 21, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #458 on: March 21, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »
Is there any coaches in the Southern California area we might want to talk to?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 21, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »

Agreed. My first choice of realistic candidates is still Dennis Gates because he has shown he can coach and recruit at a higher level, but I would be OK with Smith or Moser too.

Dennis Gates would be an excellent hire.

And for those who are saying he doesn't have enough experience as a head coach, he'd come to Marquette with more D-1 head coaching experience than Hank Raymonds, Majerus, KO, Crean, Brent, and Steve had combined when they were hired as Marquette's head coach.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

fjm

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 21, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »
I’d be fine with Crean. He wouldn’t be halfway out the door every year at this time. That being said, this is at his MO, so he could have no interest in our job and just be using it as leverage or to say see others want me, just like he did every year at MU.

The constant rumors of him leaving definitely hurt recruiting, in my opinion.

I think Crean would crawl on broken glass from Athens for the MU job. His comments at the 100 year anniversary makes me think there’s a part of him that wishes he never left.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
I think Crean would crawl on broken glass from Athens for the MU job. His comments at the 100 year anniversary makes me think there’s a part of him that wishes he never left.

Buyers remorse is very high.  He'd probably still be our coach if he didn't run to Indiana.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2021, 10:11:04 AM »
Dennis Gates would be an excellent hire.

And for those who are saying he doesn't have enough experience as a head coach, he'd come to Marquette with more D-1 head coaching experience than Hank Raymonds, Majerus, KO, Crean, Brent, and Steve and Al had combined when they were hired as Marquette's head coach.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #464 on: March 21, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »

Bo Ryan is in Palm Springs

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
There is no one that would be worse in my mind than Tom Crean. No one.

Getting back together with the girlfriend/boyfriend that dumped you for the dude/chick with shiny new car makes for bad TV.

He isn’t even that good of a coach. Truly. Not that good.

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that Crean back to MU might be more detrimental than retaining Wojo. Maybe I’m wrong. I fear I’m not.

As a final note: I truly appreciated Crean’s years here. I think he gets a bad rap on many things. He was great for this program at a time the program needed it. But, he’s history. Going back to him is sad and pathetic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2021, 10:19:21 AM »

Cronin?    He seems to be doing fairly well at the moment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 21, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »

I got the same impression at the 100 year event.

I hope he's not the choice...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 21, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »
Cronin?    He seems to be doing fairly well at the moment.

My guess is it’s a Stan reference. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #469 on: March 21, 2021, 10:23:04 AM »

Pasternack? He was at Arizona when they were buying players, so that may make him a persona non grata in the administration's eyes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
The return of Crean would be epic, just to watch the number of exploding heads around here.     Just like Leitao returning to DePaul.   What could possibly go wrong?    Hell, it might be enough to even bring Jamie back as himself.     

I haven't seen any indication that Crean has become a better coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
There is no one that would be worse in my mind than Tom Crean. No one.

Getting back together with the girlfriend/boyfriend that dumped you for the dude/chick with shiny new car makes for bad TV.

He isn’t even that good of a coach. Truly. Not that good.

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that Crean back to MU might be more detrimental than retaining Wojo. Maybe I’m wrong. I fear I’m not.

As a final note: I truly appreciated Crean’s years here. I think he gets a bad rap on many things. He was great for this program at a time the program needed it. But, he’s history. Going back to him is sad and pathetic.

Not sure he would be the worst choice, but I agree it's a bad idea. See, e.g., Dave Leitao. Surprising success at DePaul (including a C-USA title in 2004), left for the ACC and disappointed, came back to resurrect the 'sleeping giant' and failed miserably.

(And no - I am not saying Leitao was ever as successful as Crean. But DePaul would have been more than satisfied if he just matched the success he had the first time around - in the dance or at least near the bubble. Instead, his second go-around was an unmitigated disaster - 0 NCAA or NIT bids in six seasons.)

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:51 AM »
A significant portion of this Board heaved a collective sigh of relief when Crean left for IU.

He was a good recruiter and a good program administrator; in-game coach, not so much (go watch the Stanford NCAA Tournament game if you can stomach it).  I had a co-worker from IU that gave me a ton o' cr** when they hired Crean.  I said, I'll talk to you in 4 years, and I patiently waited.  Then I returned the favor when IU was eliminated early in the tournament. 

I thank Crean for the work he did at Marquette, but it was time to move-on many, may years ago.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #473 on: March 21, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »
Moser eventually hired Milnati and Mullins to fill his AUU gap which elevated his program. Again, he learned and morphed.

This is one of the reasons I continue to be a supporter of Moser to MU. I do not get the Shaka love here. Perhaps one of his supporters can explain exactly what evidence there is that he has learned and morphed? He and Wojo seem to have that problem in common.

The concerns as to whether or not he can recruit at a high level are legit but- there is this position known as Assistant Coach. Get one with high level recruiting experience to help Moser on another learning and morphing task.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #474 on: March 21, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »
The return of Crean would be epic, just to watch the number of exploding heads around here.     Just like Leitao returning to DePaul.   What could possibly go wrong?    Hell, it might be enough to even bring Jamie back as himself.     

I haven't seen any indication that Crean has become a better coach.

I'd pay to see 4evers' reaction when TTT moves in next store.

feedback