'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91599 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »
Nads, Shaka was and still is my #1 target. I think he would knock it out of the park if here. Recruits would line up to play for him, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
jeff goodman this morning said porter moser has coveted the marquette job for a while now.

goodman also said he thinks shaka will listen as he's losing a lot of seniors after this year and this is a chance for a fresh start back at a true basketball school.
Can't believe Shaka Kahn would get a call after backing out the last time. And what would MU do to keep Mrs. Smart happy?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
4ever

Shaka would knock out of the park at MU. Fingers crossed on him being a possible candidate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »
Nads, Shaka was and still is my #1 target. I think he would knock it out of the park if here. Recruits would line up to play for him, hey?

I'd be all-in on Shaka, Doc and Goose.

Mrs. Shaka would be totally forgiven, and Marquette could kick arse again.

Time for #redonedeal, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2021, 11:27:49 AM »

All would be forgiven. Shaka would be a home run hire.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2021, 11:30:25 AM »
Maybe I’m just not understanding, but why would Shaka leave a program that he found preferable 7 years ago for a program that he did not find preferable 7 years ago, especially when the program he’s at now is a 3 seed and trendy Final Four pick?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
Agreed that the logic on Shaka that brings him to MU this time seems fuzzy at best.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »

I'm ready to hurt again.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
Maybe I’m just not understanding, but why would Shaka leave a program that he found preferable 7 years ago for a program that he did not find preferable 7 years ago, especially when the program he’s at now is a 3 seed and trendy Final Four pick?

He may have been feeling some heat before this season began.  Jumping now would allow him to leave Texas on a high note and restart his coaching clock.

His results have been less than outstanding at Texas, but I’d be really excited if he was our next coach.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
Shaka hasn't won a tourney game at Texas and we want him at MU after we just fired a guy who couldn't win a tourney game? With the way he did us last time? No thanks.

If Moser really does covet the MU job (which, with his Majerus reverence and deep Chicago ties, rings true to me) then get him in the building ASAP. The guy oozes confidence & authority on the sideline and his teams play with the same. Their group mentality when things go wrong is so, so impressive. They take punches, figure things out intra-game, and claw their way back to wins over and over and over again. Got the Buzz/Majerus mojo. Super energetic, great at implementing his system, and he wants a shot at a natty. I think he'll maniacally pursue it at MU, and I think he could have us in the hunt as soon as year 3. It makes way too much sense not to do it. The guy's got the juice. Don't overthink it.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
The Shaka info from Goodman screams Shaka using Marquette as leverage for a new contract with Texas. I would love him here too, but I don’t see that happening based on what happened in 2014.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »

He likes Milwaukee weather.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
The Shaka info from Goodman screams Shaka using Marquette as leverage for a new contract with Texas. I would love him here too, but I don’t see that happening based on what happened in 2014.

Agree this feels like a Shaka PR stunt and leveraging is buddy, Goodman, to help push it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »

This is my take on it too. Shaka doesn't want to go anywhere, but he wants a new contract, the only way he gets that is leveraging another offer.

But, anytime you leverage another offer, you run the risk of them saying "go ahead and take it, don't let the ass hit you on your way out." If Texas would lose today, I find it hard to believe that donors would pony up to keep him, rather I think they would be calling for him to be gone.

I don't see him losing to Abilene Christian, but if he did, I think he is certainly available.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
FWIW Goodman is a tool that coaches seem to use to get themselves money.

Keep that in mind.

Also, our admin is pretty incompetent.

Prepare for pain... Hope for glory.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
I forgot.....would Tad Boyle be a potential candidate?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »
This is my take on it too. Shaka doesn't want to go anywhere, but he wants a new contract, the only way he gets that is leveraging another offer.

But, anytime you leverage another offer, you run the risk of them saying "go ahead and take it, don't let the ass hit you on your way out." If Texas would lose today, I find it hard to believe that donors would pony up to keep him, rather I think they would be calling for him to be gone.

I don't see him losing to Abilene Christian, but if he did, I think he is certainly available.

So what you’re trying to say issssss... we are all Abilene Christian fans today?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »

Keep that in mind.

We should be familiar with a coach using Goodman as a mouthpiece.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2021, 11:50:09 AM »

Keep that in mind.

Agreed.  Goodman is used as a mouthpiece leveraged to extract more money for head coaches from their current employer.  Buzz was, and still is, exceptional at this.  Many coaches are. 

We have a different leadership and AD than when Shaka interviewed the first time around, so I don't think there would be burned bridges.  But, yes, I don't think Shaka is a realistic target at present.  He is getting paid $3.2 million at Texas, and is about to make a pretty deep run in the tournament IMO.  For the reported $9 million we are giving Wojo, I have a hard time we are going to be giving another, what, five-year deal at $3.5 million (so over $20 million guaranteed) to a new head coach? 

Not saying it is impossible, but very, very unlikely.

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
He may have been feeling some heat before this season began.  Jumping now would allow him to leave Texas on a high note and restart his coaching clock.

His results have been less than outstanding at Texas, but I’d be really excited if he was our next coach.

A friend, who is former college BB coach says MU reached out to Shaka when he was getting heat from Texas fans/donors (2-3 months ago, prior to a strong finish).  Maybe they don't like Texas and would prefer Wisconsin.  Who knows, but he was listening.  Can we afford him?   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »
A friend, who is former college BB coach says MU reached out to Shaka when he was getting heat from Texas fans/donors (2-3 months ago, prior to a strong finish).  Maybe they don't like Texas and would prefer Wisconsin.  Who knows, but he was listening.  Can we afford him?

His buyout at Texas is $7 million. His salary is $3.2 million.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »
A friend, who is former college BB coach says MU reached out to Shaka when he was getting heat from Texas fans/donors (2-3 months ago, prior to a strong finish).  Maybe they don't like Texas and would prefer Wisconsin.  Who knows, but he was listening. Can we afford him?

I don't doubt any of this. But be careful on the "he was listening." In that line of business, you always listen. It is how you get the next big pay raise. Listening doesn't mean actually interested, it simply means your institution may be a reasonable enough offer to get me more money.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »
I forgot.....would Tad Boyle be a potential candidate?

He’s a Colorado guy who I think would only leave Boulder for KU and we know that’s not happening.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »
Didn't realize Shaka hasn't won an NCAA tournament game at Texas and has a losing record in conference. Yikes. This season will likely be his best, barring a crazy upset pick.

Maybe Moser is the better (and likely less expensive) option here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2021, 12:03:14 PM »
We should be familiar with a coach using Goodman as a mouthpiece.

So ... Buzz to Marquette?

feedback