Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A shout out to Jamal Cain  (Read 3601 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
A shout out to Jamal Cain
« on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »
I'm really proud of this kid.  I realize he's had his ups and downs but most players would have checked--out and not spent 4 years in the program.  He had a great game tonight, was under control, and it's awesome to see him finish at Fiserv with this performance. 

BM1090

• All American
Re: A shout out to Jamal Cain
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »
Really the only capable two way player that we have other than DJ.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:22:15 PM »
I'm really proud of this kid.  I realize he's had his ups and downs but most players would have checked--out and not spent 4 years in the program.  He had a great game tonight, was under control, and it's awesome to see him finish at Fiserv with this performance.

He’s been playing well generally, his senior year.  We will miss him.  And rebounds were great

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 10:23:12 PM »
By far the most athletic player on the team

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 10:24:13 PM »
He’s a great kid. Wouldn’t have blamed him if he left when the Hausers were on board but the kid stuck it out and got better and is all around a very nice kid off the floor it seems. Happy he was part our program and chose Marquette to play ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:26:34 PM »
Agreed. A hard-working kid with a great attitude.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 10:27:14 PM »
Big contributor tonight and all year

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 10:29:56 PM »
He’s a great kid. Wouldn’t have blamed him if he left when the Hausers were on board but the kid stuck it out and got better and is all around a very nice kid off the floor it seems. Happy he was part our program and chose Marquette to play ball.

He really is a nice young man with a terrific attitude.  It's a shame his ball-handling has always been a struggle because he has very good athleticism.  Ya never know....maybe he continues to work and follows in the footsteps of Juan Anderson Toscano. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 10:34:47 PM »
Jamal and Greg. Detroit boys.

They persevered and never let it get the best of them

Let us not forget that there were games this season, one month ago, where Wojo wouldn’t play Greg a single minute when we were down 20. Wouldn’t bring him in when we were down 2 with 5 second left.

unnatural carnal knowledgeing malaka

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 06:13:32 AM »
Jamal and Greg. Detroit boys.

They persevered and never let it get the best of them

Let us not forget that there were games this season, one month ago, where Wojo wouldn’t play Greg a single minute when we were down 20. Wouldn’t bring him in when we were down 2 with 5 second left.

unnatural carnal knowledgeing malaka
Cain had a nice year, and is a tribute to the philosophy to stick in there and keep working when you could just move on. Would be great if we had 10 kids every 4 years that had that attitude. Wish him the best going forward. Wojo-Dukiet should be thankful he had this kid.
Same could be said of Theo. Man did he improve over the years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 06:20:48 AM »
Thank you, Jamal.   You stayed.  You fought.   You improved.   You are a great teammate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 07:05:28 AM »
Cain had a nice year, and is a tribute to the philosophy to stick in there and keep working when you could just move on. Would be great if we had 10 kids every 4 years that had that attitude. Wish him the best going forward. Wojo-Dukiet should be thankful he had this kid.
Same could be said of Theo. Man did he improve over the years.

Willie with an indirect compliment of Wojo!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 07:07:08 AM »
I know how unlikely it is for a multitude of reasons but if one of the seniors were to stay for an extra year Cain would be the best option.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 07:18:33 AM »
Dey gonne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 07:46:31 AM »
Interview with Jamal after the win. A high quality young man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iec4jkRij7g
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 08:23:23 AM »
I agree that Cain improved a great deal over the years and has had a very good senior season. Both he and John ended up being far better than I expected. I have no problem admitting that I was wrong on what their ceiling was a player. That said, for this program to improve they need more guys to come in that are starting at a higher level as a player. Making a player better is great, making a high level player better should be the goal.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
Agreed Goose.  And I think this team was always destined for a rebuild.  This team should have had both Brendan Bailey and Joey Hauser as juniors.  Probably turns our 9th place finish into a 5th or 6th? 

I think Wojo's recruiting successes have been a little overstated.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
Agreed Goose.  And I think this team was always destined for a rebuild.  This team should have had both Brendan Bailey and Joey Hauser as juniors.  Probably turns our 9th place finish into a 5th or 6th? 

You gentleman are both correct.  Guys like Jamal and Theo are great program guys but the talent level needs to be improved overall.  Not having Joey and Brendan hurt depthwise for a variety of reasons.  As much as Hauser has regressed through the course of this Big 14 season, I think he’s a much better player year 3 here if that makes sense.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 08:50:41 AM »

If Joey and Bailey had still been around, does Garcia choose Marquette? Lewis? Might Sam have stayed another year, as he would have had the option to do (meaning he'd have been a 5th-year senior this season)? There were reports that at least a couple of players planned to leave had the Hausers not transferred; who were they and how would that have affected things?

We'll never know what would have happened had Wojo been able to quell the Hausers' attempted mutiny and its aftermath.

As to the basic point you and Goose are making about Wojo's recruiting, I agree that those who think he's a great recruiter are overrating him.

IMHO he's been a good recruiter -- obviously not championship level, not great, not even very good. But good -- 2 burger boys, a couple top-50s, numerous top-100s and a few lower-rated guys who developed into solid role players. Some notable misses, too, but Buzz, Crean and every coach ever has had misses.

And Goose has been right in stating for several years now that "good" isn't good enough for a mediocre game coach. A great coach can do well with "good." Wojo has shown he can't, one of several reasons he already should have been fired.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »
Right, which is why the narrative that he should be kept around because of next year's recruiting class doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  First, I think it's a "good" recruiting class, but hardly a great one.  Second, I don't see much hope that he is going to be able to coach this class up.

Wojo would have gone to three NCAA tournaments.  And in each case, he had the benefit of having the program's all time leading scorer and all American on the roster - a truly great player.  Absent that, while they may make the tournament, I don't see any second weekend runs with him at the helm.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »
Right, which is why the narrative that he should be kept around because of next year's recruiting class doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  First, I think it's a "good" recruiting class, but hardly a great one.  Second, I don't see much hope that he is going to be able to coach this class up.

Wojo would have gone to three NCAA tournaments.  And in each case, he had the benefit of having the program's all time leading scorer and all American on the roster - a truly great player.  Absent that, while they may make the tournament, I don't see any second weekend runs with him at the helm.

Reasonable. We're on the same page.

If you think Wojo is not the right man to lead the program to an extended period of regular-season and NCAA tournament success, you dump him without being concerned about how it affects current players and future recruits. You trust that the coach you pick to succeed him will be able to rebuild the program in 2-4 years, as most good coaches around the country do.

My only minor quibble (for lack of better word) is elevating Markus to "great player" status when he was a freshman. Although he was our leading scorer that season, it was only 13 ppg and he benefited bigly from having lots of good upperclassmen around him, resulting in most of his 3s being wide open. He averaged only 22 minutes and was rarely the guy who was expected to deliver in the clutch that season. He was a role player - a darn good one, yes, but he was nowhere near all-time-scoring-leader-Markus status yet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
I agree that Cain improved a great deal over the years and has had a very good senior season. Both he and John ended up being far better than I expected. I have no problem admitting that I was wrong on what their ceiling was a player. That said, for this program to improve they need more guys to come in that are starting at a higher level as a player. Making a player better is great, making a high level player better should be the goal.
Yes, I mean both were 3 stars, so it seems like the progressed about as could normally be expected over 4 years.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
Jamal's mid range game is pretty smooth. Can rebound really well too. If he could dribble, NBA prospect for sure. He's been focused this year, fun to watch

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
Great coaching starts with great recruiting. If we look at the icons each gets the best players and in college ball that is the game. Wojo has been trying to compete in that game and has some but limited success. 

If I compare Crean, Buzz and Wojo, I see players with more NBA talent on Crean and Buzz’s rosters and more NBA potential on those rosters. More players who were college ball ready. They had their misses and their transfers too.

We have missed too much at the 2-3 spots and that should be a key focus.  I feel a lot of that is because we swing high.

If we look position by position I think we are middle of the pack at best in talent.

I think we can put a nail in the coffin that Wojo doesn’t develop players. The starting point just required too much. After 4 years Cain is turning into a good role player.  Imagine him at this level his freshman year.

Wojo is overestimated as a recruiter and underestimated as an in game coach.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 09:39:38 AM »
Jamal can make some money next year playing the game.  Hope he does.  He's got excellent athleticism, plays good D, good size, and can shoot.  Need a few more good games from him!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback