[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: University of Texas  (Read 5890 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: University of Texas
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 03:03:53 PM »
Here is an interesting fact I just learned: Sam Houston was ousted as governor after he refused to take an oath to the confederacy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
So you believe that before signing a letter of intent, each recruit was told he would have to stand and sing this song, that it was a requirement to being a scholarship football player at UT?
Should be "fun" the first time the cops actually try to enforce that law.

Ah, "small gubmint."

One of the big donors who has threatened to halt future donations actually said that. If "the blacks" don't want to sing, they should move to a different state.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
Again, what in the lyrics to "The Eyes of Texas" are being seen as offensive?

I never said it was offensive. Some players seem to think it is, and I don’t feel it is my place to tell them otherwise. But regardless, I was responding directly to this comment you made:

If they were so uncomfortable with it, they could have easily chosen to go somewhere where the school song was less offensive.

That certainly seemed to imply that you thought they knew the lyrics before they committed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 03:47:16 PM »
Here is an interesting fact I just learned: Sam Houston was ousted as governor after he refused to take an oath to the confederacy.

Sam Houston also lived with a Cherokee tribe in his teens.  Andrew Jackson put him in charge of trying to remove Cherokee's from lands.  He sided with the Cherokee and once wore Native American garb to a meeting between them and that old racist POS John Calhoun.  Which infuriated Calhoun and Houston left the army.  Then he later got accused of fraud for trying to get rations to Native Americans who were being resettled...he responded by beating the hell out of the accusing senator with a cane.

Sam Houston...certified non-racist and general badass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »
I know how I’d be recruiting against Texas.  Good luck, Sark
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »
Sam Houston also lived with a Cherokee tribe in his teens.  Andrew Jackson put him in charge of trying to remove Cherokee's from lands.  He sided with the Cherokee and once wore Native American garb to a meeting between them and that old racist POS John Calhoun.  Which infuriated Calhoun and Houston left the army.  Then he later got accused of fraud for trying to get rations to Native Americans who were being resettled...he responded by beating the hell out of the accusing senator with a cane.

I will have find a doc and/or book on Sam and read up.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 06:11:06 PM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 07:32:12 PM »

I feel like I just watched a drunk history vignette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:28 PM »

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 05:06:14 AM »
Offense is a choice.
Upset is a choice.
Some people make bad choices.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »
Offense is a choice.
Upset is a choice.

Not really
Not really
Definitely
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
Offense is a choice.
Upset is a choice.

Being offended or upset by something is not a choice. It is a emotional response. What they do with that emotional response is a choice.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Being offended or upset by something is not a choice. It is a emotional response. What they do with that emotional response is a choice.

I generally agree with this. But it is worth stating that one can obsessively research the background of anything from history and choose a viewpoint to be upset about it (Washington, Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:57 AM »
I generally agree with this. But it is worth stating that one can obsessively research the background of anything from history and choose a viewpoint to be upset about it (Washington, Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi)

What an upsetting viewpoint you have, Galway!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »

My personal favorite are the people who work themselves into a fury about Mother Theresa.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »
What an upsetting viewpoint you have, Galway!

Then choose not to be upset about it!
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »
My personal favorite are the people who work themselves into a fury about Mother Theresa.

I think there is very valid criticism and reason to question some of the fervent adoration of Mother Theresa.  She kept some dubious company when it came to world leaders, her views on medical treatment were actually kind of F'd up, and there was a lot of grey area when it came to the large finances of her organization.  I don't think she was some secretly evil meglomaniac, but I think there is some very valid pushback to the saintly view of her.  Same for Ghandi, dude had some VERY questionable positions and habits at the time.

But the end of the day, they were just humans with flaws like the rest of us, which is fine, but its the tongue wagging deification of them that brings scrutiny on their past.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »
I think there is very valid criticism and reason to question some of the fervent adoration of Mother Theresa.  She kept some dubious company when it came to world leaders, her views on medical treatment were actually kind of F'd up, and there was a lot of grey area when it came to the large finances of her organization.  I don't think she was some secretly evil meglomaniac, but I think there is some very valid pushback to the saintly view of her.  Same for Ghandi, dude had some VERY questionable positions and habits at the time.

But the end of the day, they were just humans with flaws like the rest of us, which is fine, but its the tongue wagging deification of them that brings scrutiny on their past.

One should always be aware of the imperfection of everyone's past. But as you say "they were just humans with flaws like the rest of us". I think if a person has done more good than bad and the main thing they're known for is a good achievement, then they should be looked upon as good. You can choose to focus on those imperfections and thus be offended by statues and street names or you can accept they were imperfect but made an overall positive lasting impact.

Unlike say confederate leaders who were traitors that fought and killed for the right to enslave a bunch of people.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:12:17 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
One should always be aware of the imperfection of everyone's past. But as you say "they were just humans with flaws like the rest of us". I think if a person has done more good than bad and the main thing they're known for is a good achievement, then they should be looked upon as good. You can choose to focus on those imperfections and thus be offended by statues and street names or you can accept they were imperfect but made a overall positive lasting impact.

Unlike say confederate leaders who were traitors that fought and killed for the right to enslave a bunch of people.

This is why I am not a big fan of statues in general.  It elevates the person above their accomplishments.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:25 AM »

This is why I am not a big fan of statues in general.  It elevates the person above their accomplishments.

I prefer statues of events. That monumentalizes the specific achievement rather than the individual. It would be much more difficult to scream take down a statue of Washington crossing the Delaware or getting sworn in as the first president as opposed to one of him just standing there, looking regal. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »
Or like the Statue of Iwo Jima, largely of anonymous people.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
One should always be aware of the imperfection of everyone's past. But as you say "they were just humans with flaws like the rest of us". I think if a person has done more good than bad and the main thing they're known for is a good achievement, then they should be looked upon as good. You can choose to focus on those imperfections and thus be offended by statues and street names or you can accept they were imperfect but made an overall positive lasting impact.

I'm with you 100%. However, what you are advocating is subjective and based upon the decision-makers. Look at SFSD. Lincoln wasn't good enough, Dianne Feinstein's name had to come down because under her watch as Mayor the confederate flag was replaced by the Parks Department at a display after it was removed, but then she had it immediately replaced by a Union flag (not good enough), Paul Revere was deemed unworthy because they looked up the wrong info on Wikipedia, but Malcolm X's history of being a pimp and abusing/subjucating women could be ignored because "his later career redeemed his earlier missteps."

In London, Davis, and DC, Gandhi statues were targeted. And look at the love for Kobe and all of the demands regarding the NBA logo. Suddenly Eagle, CO isn't a big deal because he was a great player and became a "girl dad."

Or like the Statue of Iwo Jima, largely of anonymous people.

Give it time...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
I'm with you 100%. However, what you are advocating is subjective and based upon the decision-makers.

So, basically the same as the process by which the statues were commissioned?

feedback