[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Likely sub-.500 finish, 10th BE, this is the lowest point for the program since?

2014-15
35 (24.8%)
1998-99
15 (10.6%)
1987-89
66 (46.8%)
1963-64
3 (2.1%)
3 (2.1%)
Arby's
19 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Program Low  (Read 10639 times)

1SE

• All American
Program Low
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
Ooof.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Program Low
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
ive only been around for the 2014 season so guess ill pic that. this is worse tho

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:17:48 PM »
ahh that 1915 squad.. good times. always fun to watch. anyone else concur?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »
Being on ESPN.com and other National sites, and the front page of Chicago Tribune regarding sexual assault cover up is our program low.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 11:44:46 PM »
The Coaching and Team are not the best but  the Program itself was lower after we entered the New Big East. In 13-14 And yes the Program was even lower than that in 87-89.  As far as decisions go Hiring AL was one of the best for MU winning. Forgoing ESPN’s Deal and control and going  to the New Big East with no control was not the Best. In 1989 I suggested to Mr Cords we go with the Best Recruiter out there. Mr Cords took a survey at the Final Four in 1989 and the best
recruiter was Identified as Kevin O’Neil who
Mr Cords hired as our new coach.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:16:45 AM by MarquetteMike1977 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »
1987-89 was worse than this.  By a long shot.  We hadn't been in the NCAAs for awhile, just joined what is now the Horizon Conference, and had a bad coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 07:04:51 AM »
1987-89 was worse than this.  By a long shot.  We hadn't been in the NCAAs for awhile, just joined what is now the Horizon Conference, and had a bad coach.

For a fans who grew up and or went to school during the Crean and Buzz years, this is far and away the low point.

But yes you are correct, the original question was program low point. Dukiet takes the cake.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 07:10:54 AM »
For me it is now.   Dukiet was bad, but I still remember being interested in games.   

Viper

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »
The Coaching and Team are not the best but  the Program itself was lower after we entered the New Big East. In 13-14 And yes the Program was even lower than that in 87-89.  As far as decisions go Hiring AL was one of the best for MU winning. Forgoing ESPN’s Deal and control and going  to the New Big East with no control was not the Best. In 1989 I suggested to Mr Cords we go with the Best Recruiter out there. Mr Cords took a survey at the Final Four in 1989 and the best
you reference control. Where was MU to go when football blew up basketball? ESPN? Please elaborate. MU sucks because of MU. No one to blame. It comes down to coaching and players. MU’s problem? Michael Lovell, poor coaching and short a player or two on talent. It’s all on MU. Self accountability.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »
I was at MU during the Dukiet years.  I think the difference between then and now - as I perceived it both then and now, is that back then everyone knew Cords was a clown and that his hiring capability was akin to throwing darts blindfolded.  Everyone - including Dukiet - knew Dukiet was not good enough for the level MU wanted to be at and it was just a matter of time.  Fortunately it was pretty fast.

Now, with Wojo coming from a blue blood program with very high expectations for his ability - and despite the fact that Cords was once again involved - he's gotten a much longer rope.  The fact that he runs a clean program in an era when that's incredibly important helps him a lot.  The administration - because they are blinded by his cleanliness and his resume - have been (or still are) slow to realize he's not the man for the job IF winning basketball games consistently is part of the objective.

The problem now is more difficult.  MU needs to decide (again) if it wants to be a consistent top 25 program, and a consistent NCAA Tournament attendee.  I think they decided that when they hired Wojo, and thought he could make it happen.  Now, if they're Ok with "clean, but not very good" then they make no changes and we become St. Bonaventure or USF.  If they decide (again) to be elite, then a lot of things need to happen, the first of which is a coaching change.

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 07:54:03 AM »
I was at MU during the Dukiet years.  I think the difference between then and now - as I perceived it both then and now, is that back then everyone knew Cords was a clown and that his hiring capability was akin to throwing darts blindfolded.  Everyone - including Dukiet - knew Dukiet was not good enough for the level MU wanted to be at and it was just a matter of time.  Fortunately it was pretty fast.

Cords is a clown?

Cords didn't hire Dukiet, but he did hire O'Neil and Crean.  Cords got us into the MCC for sure, but he also got us out of there and into the Great Midwest, CUSA and eventually the BE. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
Wojo still has work to do to put us in a program low position. Sadly, he likely will be given the time to work on taking the program lower. In his defense, he has better talent than the Dukiet low and I do not think we can go much lower. He must really lack coaching chops or there is something else going on. This is not a top twenty team but definitely not the second worst team in the BE.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
I was at MU during the Dukiet years.  I think the difference between then and now - as I perceived it both then and now, is that back then everyone knew Cords was a clown and that his hiring capability was akin to throwing darts blindfolded. Everyone - including Dukiet - knew Dukiet was not good enough for the level MU wanted to be at and it was just a matter of time.  Fortunately it was pretty fast.

The problem here is that Hank fired Dukiet, Bill fired him.

Cords hired KO (saved the program), Deane (ok, not terrible. We got a NCAA win and conference title), and Crean (home run).

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/46677352.html/

After a 10-18 finish in 1987-'88, a 13-15 finish in 1988-'89 and no more post-season appearances, Dukiet was shown the door by new athletic director Bill Cords, who'd replaced Hank Raymonds following Dukiet's first year.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »
The Coaching and Team are not the best but  the Program itself was lower after we entered the New Big East. In 13-14 And yes the Program was even lower than that in 87-89.  As far as decisions go Hiring AL was one of the best for MU winning. Forgoing ESPN’s Deal and control and going  to the New Big East with no control was not the Best. In
1989 I suggested to Mr Cords we go with the Best Recruiter out there. Mr Cords took a
survey at the Final Four in 1989 and the best

The reason 2014 is worse than now,  is I feel it will not be 8 or more years until we get a Big Dance win.

But 87-89 was even worse. The reasons are I was told from the Son of a board member in
 87 Marquette received only 3 applications for the head coach job. Versace, Newell and Dukiet. After Newell accepted then walked away, Mr Raymonds who coached my Father In Law, hired Dukiet. Mr Cords fired Dukiet and Mr Cords hired Kevin O’Neil.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
This. So much this. MU had one future NBAer trying to carry the team, a half-way decent Robin to his batman, and almost no other high major talent.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
The players hated and feared the coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
I wasn’t there during Dukiet years, but it seemed pretty dismal and probably the worst.

The end of the Deane years was a lot worse than today. They had no good recruits and literally didn’t see a transition dunk in a game . Absolutely marginal athletes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 12:46:09 PM »
Wasn't there a year, either at the end of Deane or the beginning of Crean, that there was no dunk contest during midnight madness because there weren't enough guys on the team who could dunk?

And Dukiet was the absolute nadir.    When you are concerned about losing to Hartford at home, etc...

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1987
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:47:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 12:50:46 PM »
Wasn't there a year, either at the end of Deane or the beginning of Crean, that there was no dunk contest during midnight madness because there weren't enough guys on the team who could dunk?

And Dukiet was the absolute nadir.    When you are concerned about losing to Hartford at home, etc...

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1987

Polo won the first dunk contest when TC was coach. He joked to some of us the contest was how many pieces of paper they could slip underneath the guy dunking.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:58:58 PM by Billy Hoyle »

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
I think Bart Miller win the dunk contest. Google him, younger fans. It was a lot worse 20 years ago with Deane.

Crean turned it around very quick.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
I think Bart Miller win the dunk contest. Google him, younger fans. It was a lot worse 20 years ago with Deane.

Crean turned it around very quick.

John Mueller, Mike Bargen, “Biggie” Clausen.  It definitely was not great.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 12:59:51 PM »
The problem here is that Hank fired Dukiet, Bill fired him.

Cords hired KO (saved the program), Deane (ok, not terrible. We got a NCAA win and conference title), and Crean (home run).

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/46677352.html/

After a 10-18 finish in 1987-'88, a 13-15 finish in 1988-'89 and no more post-season appearances, Dukiet was shown the door by new athletic director Bill Cords, who'd replaced Hank Raymonds following Dukiet's first year.

Marquette had this thing called the Marquette Athletics Board who did the hiring back then. Hank actually wanted to return as coach due to Rick's late resignation. That board was akin to letting a MU Scoop poll hire our next coach.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
Marquette had this thing called the Marquette Athletics Board who did the hiring back then. Hank actually wanted to return as coach due to Rick's late resignation. That board was akin to letting a MU Scoop poll hire our next coach.

Man, if we let scoop hire the next coach, we’d get Erik Spoelstra
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »

That would end well.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »
Man, if we let scoop hire the next coach, we’d get Erik Spoelstra

Hologram Al

feedback