[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 218065 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »
I do worry that if MU waits a year, Craig Smith will be off the board. He would be my top choice.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2021, 05:15:56 PM »
All make more sense then them thinking they could lure Mussleman.

Medved makes a lot of sense as their top target. I like Saunders but that seems like a disaster. He got a raw deal with the TWolces given the mess up there, but I think he still needs more seasoning as a coach, much less no recruiting experience or track record to sell.

I think Dutcher uses Minnesota to get a nice raise at SDSU. He’s been there for 20 years, has a nice thing going, is on the wrong side of 60, seems like an inopportune time to jump to a challenging job in a brutal conference, especially if SDSU bumps him to mid $1MM range.

I should have checked Dutcher’s age.  I know he’s been around a long time.  That’s too old for Minnesota IMO. 

Medved has a good track record.  Think he’d have a chance to succeed at Minnesota.  First thing he’d need to do is, figure out how to keep more local kids home. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »
I should have checked Dutcher’s age.  I know he’s been around a long time.  That’s too old for Minnesota IMO. 

Medved has a good track record.  Think he’d have a chance to succeed at Minnesota.  First thing he’d need to do is, figure out how to keep more local kids home.

Dutcher has an out clause in his
San Diego St. Contract to coach at U Minnesota. His buyout if he goes there is reduced to $1 Million. His dad Jim coached there (won a Big Ten Title) and many of his relatives went there. He will be in the mix several others that also have ties to Minnesota, as well as some who don't. It would be difficult to leave a good situation at San Diego St.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:28:31 PM by shoothoops »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »
Dutcher has an out clause in his
San Diego St. Contract to coach at U Minnesota. His buyout if he goes there is reduced to $1 Million. His dad Jim coached there (won a Big Ten Title) and many of his relatives went there. He will be in the mix several others that also have ties to Minnesota, as well as some who don't. It would be difficult to leave a good situation at San Diego St.

Thanks for the info.  If he ever had a desire to take that job, now is the time.  Seems like the Gophers have a lot of real good options.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2021, 05:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the info.  If he ever had a desire to take that job, now is the time.  Seems like the Gophers have a lot of real good options.

Sure. And, yes, they do.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »

That's a job I wonder if some will be hesitant to take. Juwan Howard, Chris Holtmann, Matt Painter, Fred Hoiberg, and Greg Gard are all 50 or younger. Brad Underwood, Steve Pikiell, and Mark Turgeon are all under 60. That's a lot of proven relatively young coaches. Guys like Archie Miller, Richard Pitino, and Chris Collins have gone from promising to hot seats. That's a really tough league for up and coming coaches.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
That's a job I wonder if some will be hesitant to take. Juwan Howard, Chris Holtmann, Matt Painter, Fred Hoiberg, and Greg Gard are all 50 or younger. Brad Underwood, Steve Pikiell, and Mark Turgeon are all under 60. That's a lot of proven relatively young coaches. Guys like Archie Miller, Richard Pitino, and Chris Collins have gone from promising to hot seats. That's a really tough league for up and coming coaches.

Going against Greg Gard and Mark Turgeon shouldn’t scare anyone. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
Minnesota alum, Ryan Saunders, is a dark horse candidate for the Gophers. He's been to a number of high school games since being fired from the Timberwolves. It's rumored that he's been connecting with college coaches for a possible move.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
All make more sense then them thinking they could lure Mussleman.

Medved makes a lot of sense as their top target. I like Saunders but that seems like a disaster. He got a raw deal with the TWolces given the mess up there, but I think he still needs more seasoning as a coach, much less no recruiting experience or track record to sell.

I think Dutcher uses Minnesota to get a nice raise at SDSU. He’s been there for 20 years, has a nice thing going, is on the wrong side of 60, seems like an inopportune time to jump to a challenging job in a brutal conference, especially if SDSU bumps him to mid $1MM range.

Dutcher just got one, but he does have a lower buyout for Minny. In talking to my buddy who broke the Pitino news, Dutcher’s age is an issue. Also, he’s comfortable in SD, he’s got his own Ed Martin out there, and zero pressure.

Minnesota alum, Ryan Saunders, is a dark horse candidate for the Gophers. He's been to a number of high school games since being fired from the Timberwolves. It's rumored that he's been connecting with college coaches for a possible move.

The older alumni are pushing for him because of the Flip connection. The kid was hired with the Wolves for the same reason.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:19:25 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2021, 03:14:40 PM »
Utah State has a very good history.  The end of the Stew Morill era, the program stagnated as they moved into the MWC.  Smith jumped in and started winning.

I like his track record and what his teams do.  It’ll be interesting his trajectory

Shouldn't you have used the legendary Stu Morrill description here?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2021, 05:39:40 PM »
Going against Greg Gard and Mark Turgeon shouldn’t scare anyone.

In 6 years, Gard has been to 4 tournaments (5 if not for COVID) & had 4 top-25 kenpom finishes. His league finishes have been T3, T2, 9, 4, T1, T6. He's not Bo, but he's been consistently good & can be there another 15-20 years.

Turgeon has been top-50 in kenpom 8 years running with tourney caliber teams 6 of the last 7 years and won 12+ league games 5/7 years.

It's easy to crap on other programs, but anyone here would kill for the results those two guys have had in that timespan. They're consistently running their programs at a top-25 level, and neither are probably in the top-5 coaches in the league. That's pretty daunting.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »
In 6 years, Gard has been to 4 tournaments (5 if not for COVID) & had 4 top-25 kenpom finishes. His league finishes have been T3, T2, 9, 4, T1, T6. He's not Bo, but he's been consistently good & can be there another 15-20 years.

Turgeon has been top-50 in kenpom 8 years running with tourney caliber teams 6 of the last 7 years and won 12+ league games 5/7 years.

It's easy to crap on other programs, but anyone here would kill for the results those two guys have had in that timespan. They're consistently running their programs at a top-25 level, and neither are probably in the top-5 coaches in the league. That's pretty daunting.

Maybe so, but it’s not impossible to overcome, even at Minnesota.  They’ve been producing buckets of talent that haven’t been staying home.  Put a dent into that Madison pipeline a bit and things can even out.  Illinois has been a
middling program since Self left after 2003.  Underwood came in and righted that ship quick. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »

We’ll see now that Gard is fully on his own, no recruits or remnants left from Bo.  They literally start 3 RS seniors and another senior who is almost 23.  I don’t know if anyone is staying, but if not, they better hope Davis makes a historic leap.  Outside him, they return less than 10 points in their next 4 highest scorers. 

I’m not convinced Gard has that guaranteed “someone always steps up”.  And their recruiting is...fine.  I don’t see anyone that’s gonna come in and be a difference maker right away.  Next year I think they are gonna STRUGGLE.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 08, 2021, 07:57:00 AM »
Maybe so, but it’s not impossible to overcome, even at Minnesota.  They’ve been producing buckets of talent that haven’t been staying home.  Put a dent into that Madison pipeline a bit and things can even out.  Illinois has been a
middling program since Self left after 2003.
  Underwood came in and righted that ship quick.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you mean when Self's guys left. 37-2 with two 26-7 years sandwiched around it seems above middling to me.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #214 on: March 08, 2021, 08:03:30 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you mean when Self's guys left. 37-2 with two 26-7 years sandwiched around it seems above middling to me.

Yes, that would be correct.  Weber had 3 good years post-Self but that was still a Self team of players.  It went downhill quickly

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:32 AM »
We’ll see now that Gard is fully on his own, no recruits or remnants left from Bo.  They literally start 3 RS seniors and another senior who is almost 23.  I don’t know if anyone is staying, but if not, they better hope Davis makes a historic leap.  Outside him, they return less than 10 points in their next 4 highest scorers. 

I’m not convinced Gard has that guaranteed “someone always steps up”.  And their recruiting is...fine.  I don’t see anyone that’s gonna come in and be a difference maker right away.  Next year I think they are gonna STRUGGLE.

Bo Ryan made it past the Sweet 16 three times in his fourteen years as a head coach.  In every case, he had highly rated high school talent / NBA first round picks / Big Ten POY on his roster.  Yes what he did with Kaminsky was impressive, but by and large his success was with guys who were considered very good even before they stepped foot on campus.

Gard's recruiting has not been great.  Right now they have four guys, none of them in the top 100.  (And none from Wisconsin.)  Will a couple of them punch above their weight?  Undoubtedly.  But I doubt this Gard is running a consistent second weekend program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2021, 08:43:22 AM »

Bo Ryan made it past the Sweet 16 three times in his fourteen years as a head coach.  In every case, he had highly rated high school talent / NBA first round picks / Big Ten POY on his roster.  Yes what he did with Kaminsky was impressive, but by and large his success was with guys who were considered very good even before they stepped foot on campus.

Gard's recruiting has not been great.  Right now they have four guys, none of them in the top 100.  (And none from Wisconsin.)  Will a couple of them punch above their weight?  Undoubtedly.  But I doubt this Gard is running a consistent second weekend program.

Kaminsky was an unicorn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 08, 2021, 09:05:12 AM »
Kaminsky was an unicorn.

When I saw this, I thought "an unicorn" looked right but sounded funny. So I used the googles and discovered that the correct article is "a" not "an" when the following word starts with a "consonant sound."

http://crosstalk.cell.com/blog/a-grammatical-note-about-umbrellas-and-unicorns

So ... "a unicorn."

And yes, Kaminsky was.

Also a mediocre (at best) pro.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
When I saw this, I thought "an unicorn" looked right but sounded funny. So I used the googles and discovered that the correct article is "a" not "an" when the following word starts with a "consonant sound."

http://crosstalk.cell.com/blog/a-grammatical-note-about-umbrellas-and-unicorns

So ... "a unicorn."

And yes, Kaminsky was.

Also a mediocre (at best) pro.

I was going to look up the correct usage there but flipped a coin, lol

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2021, 09:18:56 AM »
Mark Turgeon's seat went to flamin' hot after back-to-back losses to Northwestern and Penn State (swept by PSU this year).  Unless they have a deep run in the B1GT, they are likely out of the NCAAT.

I always thought Maryland would have been a nice elevation for Wojo, if the time was right.  If Maryland did open now, I don't think Wojo would be in their top-5 IMO. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »
Mark Turgeon's seat went to flamin' hot after back-to-back losses to Northwestern and Penn State (swept by PSU this year).  Unless they have a deep run in the B1GT, they are likely out of the NCAAT.

I always thought Maryland would have been a nice elevation for Wojo, if the time was right.  If Maryland did open now, I don't think Wojo would be in their top-5 IMO.

Maryland is still comfortably in the NCAA Tourney right now.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »
Dwayne Killings finalist for Albany job per Goodman

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2021, 09:18:58 PM »

We will see. I've written UW off too many times before. We thought Gard's first season was doomed and he rallied to a Sweet 16. He's just kept chugging along, largely similar to Bo's first half dozen or so seasons, maybe just short of that. Until they string a couple failed seasons together, I've seen too much consistent winning to predict a downfall.

Maryland is still pretty comfortably in. I'd stop just short of calling them a lock, but they're very close to it. It would take a lot of bid thieves to knock them out.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2021, 10:53:17 PM »
Dwayne Killings finalist for Albany job per Goodman

So they finally got Cuomo, hey?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
We will see. I've written UW off too many times before. We thought Gard's first season was doomed and he rallied to a Sweet 16. He's just kept chugging along, largely similar to Bo's first half dozen or so seasons, maybe just short of that. Until they string a couple failed seasons together, I've seen too much consistent winning to predict a downfall.

I hear you, but that first team still had an upper classman Koenig, Nigel Hayes who got talked about leaving early, and Vitto Brown. All who had played on those FF teams. That next year he had all them back plus an emerging Happ who was already almost 21.

The next two years, barring transfers, he won’t have much in the way of upperclassman, much less experienced contributor ones, and mid level recruiting classes behind them.

I totally hear your point and it’s substantiated by the past, but they have a majorly unbalanced roster and lacking talent