[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 221103 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1275 on: April 09, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
Honda is quality, I should have go with '98 Ford Taurus.  The transmissions blew out on those things constantly.  And as we know, Wojo never really made it out of 2nd gear.  Always slipping...

Can confirm, having mine blow out on 45 north in morning rush hour traffic.  No exhaust and no transmission, awesome.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: April 09, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »
And at those schools he would have less resources.  Again, would you hire him to be your coach if you were say.... Wake Forest?  Boston College?  Vanderbilt?  TCU?  Nebraska?

I don't know man.  I wouldn't put my career on the line to hire Wojo.  Not with his resume.

Would I? Probably not.

Just looking at who BC and PSU hired and have hired in the past, Wojo isn’t that far below them, if at all. Coaches on the verge of getting fired get hired at other P6 places. Oliver Purnell jumped from Clemson to DePaul.

Now, I was looking this up before Wojo got fired. Now that he was fired, it might be a little different.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »
And at those schools he would have less resources.  Again, would you hire him to be your coach if you were say.... Wake Forest?  Boston College?  Vanderbilt?  TCU?  Nebraska?

I don't know man.  I wouldn't put my career on the line to hire Wojo.  Not with his resume.
Anthony Grant, Frank Haith, Steve Alford, Kelvin Sampson, Travis Ford, Josh Pastner, Bruce Weber, Mike Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Jeff Capel, Pitino Jr...plenty of high major guys that get fired and land at programs way better than UMBC

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: April 09, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »
Calling UMBC and America East "mid major" may be accurate, but barely.  I mean, that's where Killings is coaching now.

Yea, UMBC has 2 post season berths in their history.  Rarely do they contend for a conference title. Odom’s success is very much an outlier.  AEast is skirting the bottom of the mid major realm and that’s really just cause of Vermont

Anthony Grant, Frank Haith, Steve Alford, Kelvin Sampson, Travis Ford, Josh Pastner, Bruce Weber, Mike Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Jeff Capel, Pitino Jr...plenty of high major guys that get fired and land at programs way better than UMBC

None of those guys flamed out and failed at their first HC gig though. The only two that got a P5 job first and then got fired were Pastner and Dawkins. 

But Pastner won multiple NCAA games and multiple conference championships.  Dawkins won the NIT twice and made a S16.

Putting Weber and Sampson with Wojo in a discussion about coaches and P6 lack of success is hysterical

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: April 09, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
Odom was earning $425k at UMBC.  MU pays most assistants a lot more than that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: April 09, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »

Every single one of those coaches you listed has actually won an NCAAT game and/or have taken multiple teams to tournament.  For many reasons, Wojo is not at that level. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: April 09, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
Every single one of those coaches you listed has actually won an NCAAT game and/or have taken multiple teams to tournament.  For many reasons, Wojo is not at that level.

I'd take Wojo over Richard pitino in a heart beat. His first year was on par with the Rowsey team, he had two average tournament teams as did Wojo. Then Wojo had the Markus and Sam team and the Henry year both of which is take over the remainder of the Pitino teams.

we're splitting hairs but I think Wojo wins that contest.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:32:36 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: April 09, 2021, 11:31:22 AM »
Yea, UMBC has 2 post season berths in their history.  Rarely do they contend for a conference title. Odom’s success is very much an outlier.  AEast is skirting the bottom of the mid major realm and that’s really just cause of Vermont

None of those guys flamed out and failed at their first HC gig though. The only two that got a P5 job first and then got fired were Pastner and Dawkins. 

But Pastner won multiple NCAA games and multiple conference championships.  Dawkins won the NIT twice and made a S16.

Putting Weber and Sampson with Wojo in a discussion about coaches and P6 lack of success is hysterical
I'm talking about guys that failed at high major jobs and then got chances at other decent programs, programs better than UMBC.  My guess is that Wojo gets a job at a school similar to the coaches that I listed above.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1283 on: April 09, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
Mark Fox' tenure at Georgia makes Wojo look like a star. He landed the Cal job after a year off.

I have no idea if Wojo is interested in UMBC or not. I do think he could likely land a better gig if he waited.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: April 09, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
I'm talking about guys that failed at high major jobs and then got chances at other decent programs, programs better than UMBC.  My guess is that Wojo gets a job at a school similar to the coaches that I listed above.

Friendly wager?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: April 09, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
Wojo may very well get another P6 job down the line, but I would think his ceiling right now is an AAC/A10 job, with a CAA/MVC/AE/Horizon job more than opportunistic to get another shot down the road.  I think the biggest red flag with Wojo is that he took over an established, proven, respected top-25 college basketball job in the country - one where the prior two head coaches, at their height, reached a Final Four and an Elite Eight - and where the expectation is to reach the tournament every year, competing for a second weekend showing every few years.  Wojo, as we all know, had zero tournament wins and two official tournament appearances in seven years (for sake of argument, let's give him the third).  Three out of seven is still bad - for a program that has an NBA arena to play games in, has one of the highest budgets in college basketball, has historically recruited well and won, etc.  If Wojo was unable to attain any form of high-level success with those resources, what would that say about programs that do not have those at their disposal?  It's easier to recruit high-level talent with a proven program (i.e. a Duke or even a Marquette); however, it takes winners to do something with that.  Unfortunately, Wojo was not a consistent winner at MU (despite all of the resources).  Couple that with the Hauser situation, and the regularity of the team under performing, I'm not sure Wojo will be able to be as selective as some on here believe. 

I would think pursuing the UMBC job, a position where it is set-up to compete for the America East regularly and get into the tournament, in his backyard would be a very opportunistic way to get back into the club, so to speak.  Going back to Duke would be the worse thing, IMO.  He should get out of his comfort zone, roll up his sleeves and try and overachieve at a lower program. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: April 09, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
Friendly wager?
How do you define a job that's better than UMBC?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: April 09, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
Mark Fox' tenure at Georgia makes Wojo look like a star. He landed the Cal job after a year off.

I have no idea if Wojo is interested in UMBC or not. I do think he could likely land a better gig if he waited.

Mark Fox also won NCAAT games at Nevada.  Georgia has eight NCAAT appearances in the past thirty years, and only twelve in history.  Failing to win at Georgia is not the same as failing to win at Marquette. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: April 09, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »
Mark Fox also won NCAAT games at Nevada.  Georgia has eight NCAAT appearances in the past thirty years, and only twelve in history.  Failing to win at Georgia is not the same as failing to win at Marquette.
What does 6 years at Texas without an NCAA win say about a coach?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

That’s fine, but those high major “failures” aren’t in a vacuum. Those coaches proved they can win elsewhere before getting that high major job.  Wojo has not. Not at all apples to apples.

And failure is not all equal.  Having success and then missing on a few classes or trending down leading to a dismissal is different than never really succeeding at all.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: April 09, 2021, 11:50:26 AM »
He can do better than UMBC.

Doubt that at this time. He's simply goin' to have to show that he can win more before a better program takes that chance. Frankly, there are better candidates available than Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: April 09, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »
What does 6 years at Texas without an NCAA win say about a coach?

Again, Shaka won at VCU before Texas.  If he was a hotshot Florida assistant who got the Texas job and did what he did, he wouldn’t be getting the Marquette job or anything similar.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: April 09, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
That’s fine, but those high major “failures” aren’t in a vacuum. Those coaches proved they can win elsewhere before getting that high major job.  Wojo has not. Not at all apples to apples.

And failure is not all equal.  Having success and then missing on a few classes or trending down leading to a dismissal is different than never really succeeding at all.
Let me be clear that I'm not trying to vouch for Wojo as a good coach and I'm not saying he's better/worse than any of the guys I listed. I guess my opinion is that in NCAA coaching once you get to a certain level your floor becomes a lot higher.  And I think Wojo is still a pretty recognizable name in college basketball.  Combined with the fact that his time at Marquette wasn't THAT bad, I think he can get another decent job.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1293 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »

Meh, I never really buy the "it's easier to win at Marquette than [insert other P6 school]" arguments. I don't think recruits really care that Georgia only has X number of tournament in the past X number of years. Hire the right coach and Georgia could be a basketball power in a few years. Hire the wrong one and Marquette can be at Georgia's level in a few years. The differences in resources between the two is not as great as some would like to believe.

I feel the same way about our current coach. I don't knock him because "winning at Texas should have been easy." It's all about hiring the right coach to the right program.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: April 09, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
Doubt that at this time. He's simply goin' to have to show that he can win more before a better program takes that chance. Frankly, there are better candidates available than Woj, aina?

Regardless of what Scoopers think about Wojo, he has a career 128-95 record. Had teams place 2nd and 3rd in the Big East, and would have led the team to 3 NCAA tournaments if it wasn't for COVID.

He also demonstrated that he is a very strong recruiter.

That's sufficient to be fired at MU; but also sufficient to get a solid new coaching gig.

Someone better than UMBC will give him a chance, maybe not this year, but he'll be coaching a solid Mid-Major, or lower tier P6 team sooner rather than later.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1295 on: April 09, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »

Wojo is Persona Non Grata in the P6
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1296 on: April 09, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
Yea, UMBC has 2 post season berths in their history. 

Let's face it: UMBC enjoyed their greatest success when Brett Roseboro was patrolling the paint for the Retrievers.

Talent like Brett Roseboro doesn't grow on trees. Not only did Brett have a sweet touch around the hoop but his faux ghetto accent was second to none among white males standing 6' 10" or greater.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
Sorry, in the conversation of desired D1 gigs right now, Woj is irrelevant. UMBC seems like a mutually beneficial landing spot, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: April 09, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
How do you define a job that's better than UMBC?

You can have all the P6 schools, I will take the field.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: April 09, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »
Let's face it: UMBC enjoyed their greatest success when Brett Roseboro was patrolling the paint for the Retrievers.

Talent like Brett Roseboro doesn't grow on trees. Not only did Brett have a sweet touch around the hoop but his faux ghetto accent was second to none among white males standing 6' 10" or greater.

You'd be right if they hadn't been the only 16 seed to ever upset a 1 seed in the tournament.